Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
The reason why Jeb is doing extremely poorly is that he's trying to avoid the Mitt Romney thing of appealing to the hard right in the primary and then being roasted for it in the general, except he forget that Mitt Romney wouldn't have been nominated if he hadn't thrown the red meat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

GlyphGryph posted:

Oh man, a surprise new contender would be the best. Imagine one of the Kochs deciding to enter the ring at this point and go toe to toe with Trump.

I know you aren't being serious, but I just wanted to take a tangent here because I thought it would be an interesting point. Most super rich people get rich by essentially inheritance and nepotism. For the most part, wealth creates wealth in a way that's completely removed from merit. My point is, most super rich people are usually wet blankets and not impressive at all under a spotlight. Donald Trump is actually kind of an exception, in that his success (if you want to call it that) is more merit based than most of his peers. All of this I find darkly humorous!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Venom Snake posted:

The reason why Jeb is doing extremely poorly is that he's trying to avoid the Mitt Romney thing of appealing to the hard right in the primary and then being roasted for it in the general, except he forget that Mitt Romney wouldn't have been nominated if he hadn't thrown the red meat.

How does this explain him constantly talking about how the Iraq war was a great idea and went well and he'd totally do it again if given the opportunity? I don't see how those sorts of comments would help him in the general.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

GlyphGryph posted:

How does this explain him constantly talking about how the Iraq war was a great idea and went well and he'd totally do it again if given the opportunity? I don't see how those sorts of comments would help him in the general.

Or stumbling around while trying to decide which group of minorities best deserves the label "anchor babies".

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Dahbadu posted:

I know you aren't being serious, but I just wanted to take a tangent here because I thought it would be an interesting point. Most super rich people get rich by essentially inheritance and nepotism. For the most part, wealth creates wealth in a way that's completely removed from merit. My point is, most super rich people are usually wet blankets and not impressive at all under a spotlight. Donald Trump is actually kind of an exception, in that his success (if you want to call it that) is more merit based than most of his peers. All of this I find darkly humorous!

This was a great interview with Gore Vidal on Jerry Brown's radio show. It's about an hour long, I'm sorry I can't link to the specific time that it occurs, but at some point they discuss the oddness of the Rockefeller clan entering politics given that the super-rich normally just buy politicians donate tons of money to their preferred candidates.

I'll keep it on in the background for a bit and see if I can find the moment for you.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

the simple fact of the matter is, Jeb isn't cut out for the presidency

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
Is Jeb Bush even trying to escape the specter of his brother?

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/25/politics/jeb-bush-hurricane-video-michael-brown/

Heck of a job Jebby.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Venom Snake posted:

"anchor babies"

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

How do I become a Trump delegate in Texas?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Montasque posted:

Heck of a job Jebby.

Wisconsin had two "Miss me yet?" Billboards along two major highways that showed Bush smiling for almost 5-6 years when Obama got elected.

Republicans double down on everything.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

GalacticAcid posted:

This was a great interview with Gore Vidal on Jerry Brown's radio show. It's about an hour long, I'm sorry I can't link to the specific time that it occurs, but at some point they discuss the oddness of the Rockefeller clan entering politics given that the super-rich normally just buy politicians donate tons of money to their preferred candidates.

I'll keep it on in the background for a bit and see if I can find the moment for you.

Thanks for linking this. I'll try to listen to it later. My day currently involves zoning out via S&S (Spreadsheets & Spotify) and checking the forums when my mind wanders -- which is happening a bit too much, to be honest.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Philthy posted:

Wisconsin had two "Miss me yet?" Billboards along two major highways that showed Bush smiling for almost 5-6 years when Obama got elected.

They really do...

George W. Bush to headline NYC fundraiser for Jeb a day before 9/11...

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/08/george-w-bush-headline-nyc-jeb-bush-fundraiser-121754.html

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Philthy posted:

A local sporting goods store in my hometown sells only two political items: a shirt with Reagan wearing an American flag bandana and a "miss me yet?" W shirt.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Aliquid posted:

tweet something mean about Jeb or Megyn at Trump. if he retweets you are a confirmed delegate

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

Aliquid posted:

Get involved in your local republican party.

Convince people to vote for you to be a delegate.

http://www.texasgop.org/about-the-party/

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Montasque posted:

They really do...

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/08/george-w-bush-headline-nyc-jeb-bush-fundraiser-121754.html

Protestors should just start showing up to these with mission accomplished banners until the Bush family gets out of loving politics

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jan 22, 2016

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo

Imagine that, the general public doesn't give as much of a poo poo about Emailghazi as the Beltway insiders

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Dahbadu posted:

Cool story (despite everything I've predicted so far being true -- at least at this early stage). You mind putting yourself out there and giving us some astute predictions? Or are you going to take the brave milquetoast stance of "it's too early to tell and there's no way anyone can predict anything"?

Basically, most of the experts seem to think that early polling, especially at the national level, has almost no predictive power in the primary. This is based on analysis of past primaries. Things like endorsements and financing do have predictive power.

So if you go by the former at the expense of the latter, as you have, you throw out the proven, predictive information and keep the much more volatile, much less predictive information.

At this point, it is difficult to predict who will win the GOP primary. Trump has a shot, but characters like Bush and Rubio are still more likely, despite the poll numbers.

For the dems, Hillary is still by far the most likely candidate.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Montasque posted:

So when is the cut off date for Jeb to get his poo poo together before the establishment gives him the finger and hitches their ride to Rubio?
Honestly, I think we're already starting to hit it:

GlyphGryph posted:

The articles I've seen say it's... not good. His camp is citing "donor fatigue" last I checked.

There's a reason the money guys are starting to move away from Jeb!:

Montasque posted:

Heck of a job Jebby.

Montasque posted:

They really do...

quote:

Last week, supporters received a fundraising appeal from the former Florida governor’s brother, in which he wrote, “I rarely send emails like this, but I wanted to make sure I asked for your support on behalf of my brother, Jeb.”

“My brother will be a tremendous President,” Bush wrote. “He is a proven leader with an optimistic outlook and a clear agenda for America’s future.”
It's because Jeb! has decided that his mission is to find every single political landmine he can, and jump on it until it blows up.

He doesn't show any signs of stopping either.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Goddamn.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

railroad terror posted:

Imagine that, the general public doesn't give as much of a poo poo about Emailghazi as the Beltway insiders
No kidding. It's almost like a scandal where nobody really knows if laws were even broken isn't going to stick.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

drat who was that dude who said to get out of this country?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Why can't the US have a reasonable discussion about border security without one side degenerating into disgusting racism, and the other side pretending that letting people skip customs and immigration entirely is Cool and Good? Also, and I've both sides do this: why is there such an assumption that Latino people and illegal immigrants are one and the same?

And why the gently caress is "securing the border" taken to mean "closing the border"? I secure my apartment by having a door with a lock on it, but that doesn't mean I can't let people in and out.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Did you just wake up from a coma, or something?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

railroad terror posted:

This graph might work better if it was labeled. I have no idea what it is measuring.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

David Duke has endorsed Trump.

http://www.theroot.com/articles/news/2015/08/former_kkk_grand_wizard_david_duke_endorses_trump_for_president.html

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
n.m

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

The X-man cometh posted:

you mean "Clinton", "GOP Field", and "Undecided" along the top?

the y axis just has numbers

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Vox Nihili posted:

Basically, most of the experts seem to think that early polling, especially at the national level, has almost no predictive power in the primary. This is based on analysis of past primaries. Things like endorsements and financing do have predictive power.

So if you go by the former at the expense of the latter, as you have, you throw out the proven, predictive information and keep the much more volatile, much less predictive information.

At this point, it is difficult to predict who will win the GOP primary. Trump has a shot, but characters like Bush and Rubio are still more likely, despite the poll numbers.

For the dems, Hillary is still by far the most likely candidate.

I'm not throwing anything out. I'm weighting things in what I feel to be fair context, and so far my opinions have been more predictive (granted, I know it is quite early) than the "experts" or people parroting the "experts" here, such as yourself. Can't wait for more mental gymnastics rationalizing your obviously bad and way-off predictions/understanding regarding what's going on here as being correct, both in the short- and long-term.

So good to know your predictions: Bush/Rubio are "more likely" and Hillary is "far the most likely candidate." I wonder what tune you were singing just a couple of weeks ago about Trump's chances. I'm guessing (I could be wrong about this guess, but I have a feeling I'm not) the words "not a chance" were closer to what you were saying than "has a shot." Keep on holding to those "expert" opinions, bro.

Dahbadu fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Aug 26, 2015

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

PT6A posted:

Why can't the US have a reasonable discussion about border security without one side degenerating into disgusting racism, and the other side pretending that letting people skip customs and immigration entirely is Cool and Good? Also, and I've both sides do this: why is there such an assumption that Latino people and illegal immigrants are one and the same?

And why the gently caress is "securing the border" taken to mean "closing the border"? I secure my apartment by having a door with a lock on it, but that doesn't mean I can't let people in and out.

Buddy, you're going to get snarked at so hard for this post, you don't even know.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?
The dream (at least one of them) is dead. :(

Trump Telling GOP Brass He Will Forego A Third-Party Run: Sources

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Well hes gonna get the nomination so

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

¿Quién es este idiota?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Go ahead and pretend he wouldn't change his mind if he lost the nomination.

If.

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo

blue squares posted:

This graph might work better if it was labeled. I have no idea what it is measuring.

My bad:

"The chart above shows a combined average of every single national poll taken since March 1 of this year that pits Clinton against the 10 leading Republican candidates—197 matchups in all, courtesy of Huffington Post Pollster. The key takeaway, as you can see from the blue and red trendlines, is that the race has been remarkably static."

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Dahbadu posted:

I'm not throwing anything out. I'm putting things in context, and so far my opinions have been more predictive (granted, I know it is quite early) than the "experts" or people parroting the "experts" here, such as yourself. Can't wait for more mental gymnastics rationalizing your obviously bad and way-off predictions regarding what's going on here as being correct, both in the short- and long-term.

The problem is that being predictive of things so far is pretty loving useless in the larger sense, since it's still like 5 months until Iowa.

Also, sometimes it really actually just is too early to make definitive predictions. Sometimes it really is too early to tell. That's a legitimate justifiable position to take. It's not cowardice.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

railroad terror posted:

My bad:

"The chart above shows a combined average of every single national poll taken since March 1 of this year that pits Clinton against the 10 leading Republican candidates—197 matchups in all, courtesy of Huffington Post Pollster. The key takeaway, as you can see from the blue and red trendlines, is that the race has been remarkably static."

People are realizing Hillary and the republican candidates are all poo poo at roughly the same rate.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

This is probably not a good idea for Trump. He claims he wants the GOP to treat him fairly, but at least 2 states have considered changing the rules solely to attack him. If he makes this promise, the only thing that will happen is that the top brass of the GOP will be relieved that they can attempt to screw him with no repercussions.

If he's holding a 3rd party run over their heads as leverage - then what's the point of caving before a single vote has been cast? Any chance for electoral fuckery will be when delegates are being handed out, and then if a Trump worst-case scenario happens, they throw up their hands and say "Welp! You promised...too bad, try again in 4 years". Agreeing to this would be showing weakness and that will be the beginning of the end for his campaign.

Don't do it Trump! It's a trap!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

This is vile... Unfortunately I believe this will help Trump's GOP poll numbers...

• Locked thread