Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Chamale posted:

I made an extremely similar deck back in 2011 (and posted about it), I think my build was better because it can win the game on turn 3 if it gets the Fluctuator. I don't like the Ancient Tombs and Careful Study, they get it in the way. My build's only cards without Cycling 2 were Fluctuator, one Lab Maniac, and one Cavern of Souls.

Also, instead of Bloated Toad and Cloud of Faeries he should play Radiant's Judgment, Gilded Light, Repopulate, or something like that.

It's a fun deck but because it's a gimmick, every win is similar. I took it to a tournament and it's not a standout, but my build is cheap.

Doesn't the deck just fold completely to Force of Will?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
doesn't every deck a goon makes?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Hell, it folds to Counterspell or Negate or Spell Pierce since you can't go off turn 1.

black potus posted:

Breakfast Burrito at least has the ability to run maindeck Pact of Negation.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

The neat thing is that if you stick fluctuator you can tutor for hate cards at instant speed. Angelsong and miscalculation are real. I also beat triple path once just by having extra cards in hand.

It's not a good deck, but its 10 dollars on modo and fun to troll 2 man's with.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
If they counter lab maniac, tutor up the graveyard spell and get him back. Once your whole deck has been filtered through, they'd need more than a single force to stop you. Right?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

always be closing posted:

Modo leagues coming tonight. Anyone for a pauper league?

They're just putting in the coding for it, not the actual launch of leagues.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Angry Grimace posted:

They're just putting in the coding for it, not the actual launch of leagues.

Calling it now: Doing this will break at least one card. Even though what they're doing shouldn't touch cards at all it will still manage to break one (or more).

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Entropic posted:

Hell, it folds to Counterspell or Negate or Spell Pierce since you can't go off turn 1.

Breakfast Burrito at least has the ability to run maindeck Pact of Negation.

can't this have pact of negation as well? seems like if you stick fluctuator you win on the spot.

Hell, if you take out the toads and put in something like Rebuild or Pendrell Drake you've got more than enough cards to run force

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

A big flaming stink posted:

can't this have pact of negation as well? seems like if you stick fluctuator you win on the spot.

Hell, if you take out the toads and put in something like Rebuild or Pendrell Drake you've got more than enough cards to run force

The more non-cycling cards you have in the deck, the more cards you have to have in your hand to go off without fizzling. And you're probably mulliganing the first hand without Fluctuator.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
You also need to untap with Fluctuator because you can cycle your whole deck but still need 3 mana to cast the Lab Maniac

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Fluctuator combo is ancient as gently caress and the deck is pretty much identical, except instead of killing with Songs of the Damned + any drain life effect now it just needs to cast Unearth. It still has all the same problems that the deck had from before.

Boco_T posted:

You also need to untap with Fluctuator because you can cycle your whole deck but still need 3 mana to cast the Lab Maniac

You can unearth lab man.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Ultima66 posted:

You can unearth lab man.
How do you get him in the graveyard when he's the 44th card in the deck or whatever? Like I get you can do that if they counter, I just mean the first time.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

black potus posted:

Boseiju is a staple card in all of my various unbeatable Hidetsugu's Second Rite decks

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Boco_T posted:

How do you get him in the graveyard when he's the 44th card in the deck or whatever? Like I get you can do that if they counter, I just mean the first time.
careful study

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Boco_T posted:

In the original list that was posted: You can dig to Petal + Careful Study + Lab Maniac as soon as you land Fluctuator.

In Chamale's list: There isn't a way but it seems to be able to play a longer game and has Cavern of Souls to make Maniac uncounterable.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Cernunnos posted:

In the original list that was posted: You can dig to Petal + Careful Study + Lab Maniac as soon as you land Fluctuator.

In Chamale's list: There isn't a way but it seems to be able to play a longer game and has Cavern of Souls to make Maniac uncounterable.

That's right, and Unearth can pick him up if he gets Thoughtseized out of your hand at some point.

Entropic posted:

Doesn't the deck just fold completely to Force of Will?

You're talking to the co-inventor of Breakfast Burrito. Also, I won a game 1 against Force of Will when my unprepared opponent read Fluctuator and let it resolved. Opponent punts are my favourite thing about rogue decks.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

GeneX posted:

The new story is bad. This is because this writer is terrible.

However, Nissa, elf racist, is sad and that's good

I hate the new stories. While the old ones gave disconnected bits of flavor, these are just boring filler battle bullshit that makes my eyes glaze over.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I hate when we always talk about how bad the stories are every time one gets posted. It constantly reminds me that spoiler season isn't here yet.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Anyone playing in the Invitational?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

One of my decks will be there!

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

mcmagic posted:

I'm going to the open that weekend, I'm not skilled enough for the Invitational.

Drider-Man
Jan 30, 2007

Drider-Man, Drider-Man
Does some things that a drider can.
Can he swing from a web?
Ask your DM

mcmagic posted:

I have family obligations on saturday so I can't play in the Invitational. I'll be there Sunday playing in some side events or possibly the modern event though.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Count Bleck posted:

I'm going to the open that weekend, I'm not skilled enough for the Invitational.

I'll probably be joining you in the very likely event that I scrub out day 1 of the Invi...

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

mcmagic posted:

I'll probably be joining you in the very likely event that I scrub out day 1 of the Invi...

All jokes about your card evaluation skills aside, good luck.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

GeneX posted:

The new story is bad. This is because this writer is terrible.

However, Nissa, elf racist, is sad and that's good
With any luck they use this as an excuse to kill her off and put literally any other green mage in the "iconic green planeswalker" slot.

Bonus points for a thallid with a spark.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

GeneX posted:

All jokes about your card evaluation skills aside, good luck.

Thanks.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Yawgmoth posted:

With any luck they use this as an excuse to kill her off and put literally any other green mage in the "iconic green planeswalker" slot.

Bad news if you think any of the walkers in Origins will ever die in the story

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Skyl3lazer posted:

Bad news if you think any of the walkers in Origins will ever die in the story

But if Jace dies we get Tammy Moonsocks!

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Yawgmoth posted:

There's only 2 mono green walkers to begin with (that are alive). Garruk can't come back because he's evul now.

Also, I didn't see it posted a couple days back, but a week ago or so I posted that Tutelage was a terrible deck that just bombed a tournament because no one knew what to do against it. MTGGoldfish did an analysis of ~56,000 games of Standard post Origins and found that UR Tutelage's win% is 37%, despite being in the top 5 played decks.

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/meta-snapshot-magic-origins-standard-aug-2015

quote:

Remember how I said that drawing cards with UR Tutelage Mill wins you games? Apparently this isn't true very often. The deck is — by far — the worst performing deck out of the ten most played decks in our sample coming in at a lowly 36.88 match win percentage. In fact, UR Tutelage Mill is one of the worst five performing decks in our entire sample. It's that bad.

Looking at the individual matchups just makes things worse. UR Tutelage Mill's best matchups is Jeskai Tempo, and even here UR Tutelage Mill only wins 44 percent of the time. Yes, that's right: UR Tutelage Mill is a 6 point dog in its BEST matchup. Some of the other matchups are downright laughable. 16 percent against Abzan Aggro, 17 percent against GW Megamorph, 26 percent against UR Ensoul Artifact, 27 percent against Mono Red Aggro. I could go on, but I think you get the picture. And remember, this is over the course of 5,000 matches, so its not like the numbers are being skewed by a small sample size. While we don't have the historical data to back this up, there seems to be a very real possibility that UR Tutelage Mill is the worst "Top 5 Most Played Deck" of all time, in the entire 20+ year history of Magic: the Gathering. This also shows you how much players love Mill and how desperately they want to make it work.

Also, your chances of winning a match are about 10% better if you win the die roll (in Standard). Play less taplands, I guess.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Aug 26, 2015

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Count Bleck posted:

But if Jace dies we get Tammy Moonsocks!

Tammy taking over as the Face Of Blue planeswalker is about as likely a Return To Kamigawa block.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Angry Grimace posted:

There's only 2 mono green walkers to begin with (that are alive). Garruk can't come back because he's evul now.
And they can't make a new green planeswalker because

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Yawgmoth posted:

Hippy and big burly guy. What else is there to do with our two dimensional type heroes?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Yawgmoth posted:

Maro says they want to make less new dudes.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Angry Grimace posted:

Maro says they want to make less new dudes.

So Maro says they want to make more new ladies?

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Ramos posted:

Hippy and big burly guy. What else is there to do with our two dimensional type heroes?

Dryad orTreefolk planeswalker....it's the obvious choice.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I'm just hoping they go for something interesting with Gideon that doesn't feel like a completely generic rehash of previous Gideons. Something along the lines of Gideon Jura (ROE/M12) would feel an awful lot like Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker does which isn't rotating.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

The Nastier Nate posted:

Dryad orTreefolk planeswalker....it's the obvious choice.

That sounds rough on the movie's CGI budget.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm just hoping they go for something interesting with Gideon that doesn't feel like a completely generic rehash of previous Gideons. Something along the lines of Gideon Jura (ROE/M12) would feel an awful lot like Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker does which isn't rotating.

They're making a conscious effort to make each planeswalker have a mechanical identity. I'd be extremely surprised if Gideon didn't get up and punch dudes himself, that's what he does.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

That spoiled Gideon looks obvious and bland enough to be real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I like how MTGO downtime has gone back to being World of Warcraft Patch Day every single week.

Lets Pickle posted:

That spoiled Gideon looks obvious and bland enough to be real.

Gideon, Ally of Zendikar is the name of the spoiled art. Standing there posing is pretty much every PW art, really.

• Locked thread