Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The Dom Inspector is already updated and have data for the 4.20. Good job Larz.

Also, here we have the new 4 magical items:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Fat Samurai posted:

I was writing an efforpost on trying to understand MA Ulm for the newbie game, but noticed I was mostly repeating this.

What's the endgame here? I can't see the link between "huge slabs of iron" and "win". I can more or less stumble through early game, expansion and getting some combat casting online, but I'm kinda lost after the midgame. Any summons, spells, something I should aim for?

Army of Lead+Weapons of Sharpness I guess. Summons some Elemental Royalty if your pretender is up for that.
Not really much of anything that can survive multiple petrifies followed up with magma eruptions though.
Add iron bane and sprinkle some iron blizzards and blade wind on top.

amuayse fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Aug 26, 2015

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

I was writing an efforpost on trying to understand MA Ulm for the newbie game, but noticed I was mostly repeating this.

What's the endgame here? I can't see the link between "huge slabs of iron" and "win". I can more or less stumble through early game, expansion and getting some combat casting online, but I'm kinda lost after the midgame. Any summons, spells, something I should aim for?

MA Ulm is wholly about rolling your basic troop quality advantage into huge territory gains before lategame, and midgame to an exent, magic comes online. At that point you're hoping to have a large enough advantage in gems/gold/research that you can make up for the fact that your base magic diversity is absolute garbage. If you're not one of, or THE, largest nations by that point, you're out of luck. On the bright side, they're extremely suited for stomping many of those lategame threats into the ground if they start nearby. Between extremely cheap high Prot basic troops, and the ability to quickly amass Guardians if someone is unwise enough to try a sacred rush on you, many of the more magically inclined nations are going to struggle to stop you from simply marching over them in the earlygame. B9 sacreds are of course still going to be a problem, but those are a problem for anyone, and between few nations typically taking that, and the fact that you actually CAN trade troops and still come out ahead, it's probably manageable.

Case-in-point, I started next to Vanheim in my very first game, when I was playing Ulm. Deciding early on that I REALLY needed to take them out before they could get into the good A spells, I researched Alteration a bit to grab Earth Meld, and proceeded to march straight through their extremely expensive ponies - that had just lost their high Def due to being stuck to the ground.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.
Why doesn't the giant ocean head have a head slot? Is he too big to forge hats for?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Lord Koth posted:

MA Ulm is wholly about rolling your basic troop quality advantage into huge territory gains before lategame, and midgame to an exent, magic comes online.

So awake pretender? Or are we talking "midgame" as in year 3 and I can afford to put some points into production and gold?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Benly posted:

Why doesn't the giant ocean head have a head slot? Is he too big to forge hats for?

I think the giant crab claws on top aren't helmet-compatible. Apart that finding helmets that fit in a giant head of size 6 has to be hard (normal titans of size 6 have a proportionally smaller head, this guy is all head!).

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

amuayse posted:

Yup, Giant Bearded Face died instantly when I took him awake

Somehow I already expected something like this after seeing several typos in the description for the new nation. Ah, Illwinter. Quality Turnbased Strategy. :allears:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

amuayse posted:

Yup, Giant Bearded Face died instantly when I took him awake

A bunch of the new events are also pointing to wrong events so for example discovering and attacking the Kraken's Lair results in the message "The mage has left the Thunder Oak HIDDEN" and nothing happens. Additionally Meteor Caps are made of normal iron and thus rust underwater and a number of underwater units have iron weapons or equipment that simply rusts immediately upon recruitment. Finally the Spectral Archers of Therodos cannot fire their bows underwater, yet are part of the standard underwater PD for Therodos, rendering those PD's bows perpetually useless.

This is a very well tested patch.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Funny, just now I was also looking at the events. The "first gate" demon event seems fun. In any case, I suspect all the events with the word HIDDEN at the end are still in the works, and very possibly are ignored by the game, so take them with a grain of salt, just because we can see stuff in the inspector doesn't mean it's used already in the game.

I already mentioned the meteor caps problem in the desura bug thread, hope poo poo like that will be fixed in a minor patch soonish. The bigger problem seem units like UW Jomon that has been forgotten in this patch and they still have all iron.
But the rust mechanic seems to work in a very curious way. From desura:

quote:

Rust effect seem minor, because units repair their stuff between the moment where rust is applied, and the moment where battle happen. So if you have enough resources, which don't seem to be a lot of ressources at least for weapons, you don't have problems.

So you can have lots of units with the rust tag, but they are repaired just before the battle phase so it doesn't have real effect, except if the province doesn't have resources to "repair".

Stuff like the UW archers is facepalming, in the other hand.

Do we have an opinion of Oceania and their new gimmick? They have free +1 order scales, both in sea and inside land, with the exception of coastal provinces which have +2 turmoil (which isn't so bad for the new turmoil discounts of their mages).
You could buy Turmoil 1 scales, have Order0 in most of your empire and T3 in the coastal forts, and buy Capricorns for 315g there.
They also have a new mage W2N2+random mage, only aquatic which sucks, but it's non-StR; and the Siren transform in a air siren (like in the Witcher 3!), which have A1W1 instead of W2.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Aug 26, 2015

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Turin Turambar posted:

Funny, just now I was also looking at the events. The "first gate" demon event seems fun. In any case, I suspect all the events with the word HIDDEN at the end are still in the works, and very possibly are ignored by the game, so take them with a grain of salt, just because we can see stuff in the inspector doesn't mean it's used already in the game.

I received that exact sequence of events (Kraken, Mage has left HIDDEN) in a test game so nope the events are genuinely just all hosed up.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

edit: durr hurrr.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Aug 26, 2015

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Both of those are from the Worthy Heroes mod, not the update.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Ichtypans? THEY'RE CALLED CAPRICORNS, GOD.

Also great smutty writing about that Naiad chick, mod makers fucksakes.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Neruz posted:

Both of those are from the Worthy Heroes mod, not the update.

Ooops. I forgot I had mods activated. :sweatdrop:

You saw nothing.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
"Hmm how can we have a powerful female character for Oceania"
"She pretty much just lives on an island and gets knobbed but she controls the sea"
"Brilliant"

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I hadn't noticed Frank Miller's Spartans behind her, either. :cripes:

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
Can someone help with an error message I'm getting? Whenever I try to play the new nation I get a randomname: no name error. I found one thread on shrapnelgames where someone said it's a nametype mismatch but I don't know what that means or how I fix it.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

jBrereton posted:

"Hmm how can we have a powerful female character for Oceania"
"She pretty much just lives on an island and gets knobbed but she controls the sea"
"Brilliant"

To be fair she is kind of similar to how she is depicted in the Oddessy so it's not like they just made up the story entirely :v:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Finnish Flasher posted:

Can someone help with an error message I'm getting? Whenever I try to play the new nation I get a randomname: no name error. I found one thread on shrapnelgames where someone said it's a nametype mismatch but I don't know what that means or how I fix it.

Reinstall the game?

Also, I suppose you wanted to say Desura, not Shrapnelgames...

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Neruz posted:

To be fair she is kind of similar to how she is depicted in the Oddessy so it's not like they just made up the story entirely :v:

She didn't keep an Harem of oiled, well endowed men dressed in leather, though. Odysseus was kinda an exception, and IIRC, loving him was a ruse* to kill him while asleep.

*He survived by making her promise not to. Greeks.

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008

Turin Turambar posted:

Reinstall the game?

Also, I suppose you wanted to say Desura, not Shrapnelgames...

No, I meant shrapnelgames http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=37427

I'll try reinstalling thanks.

edit. reinstalled and now it crashes when going to pretender design instead of just before first turn should start

edit2. well it's some mod, I disabled all of them and now it works

Finnish Flasher fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Aug 26, 2015

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Fat Samurai posted:

amuayse posted:

Army of Lead+Weapons of Sharpness I guess. Summons some Elemental Royalty if your pretender is up for that.
Not really much of anything that can survive multiple petrifies followed up with magma eruptions though.
Add iron bane and sprinkle some iron blizzards and blade wind on top.
Iron Bane is a terrible idea, your troops are reliant on their armor. Blade wind has too much fatigue for too little damage.

Lord Koth posted:

MA Ulm is wholly about rolling your basic troop quality advantage into huge territory gains before lategame, and midgame to an exent, magic comes online. At that point you're hoping to have a large enough advantage in gems/gold/research that you can make up for the fact that your base magic diversity is absolute garbage. If you're not one of, or THE, largest nations by that point, you're out of luck. On the bright side, they're extremely suited for stomping many of those lategame threats into the ground if they start nearby. Between extremely cheap high Prot basic troops, and the ability to quickly amass Guardians if someone is unwise enough to try a sacred rush on you, many of the more magically inclined nations are going to struggle to stop you from simply marching over them in the earlygame. B9 sacreds are of course still going to be a problem, but those are a problem for anyone, and between few nations typically taking that, and the fact that you actually CAN trade troops and still come out ahead, it's probably manageable.

Case-in-point, I started next to Vanheim in my very first game, when I was playing Ulm. Deciding early on that I REALLY needed to take them out before they could get into the good A spells, I researched Alteration a bit to grab Earth Meld, and proceeded to march straight through their extremely expensive ponies - that had just lost their high Def due to being stuck to the ground.

Fat Samurai posted:

So awake pretender? Or are we talking "midgame" as in year 3 and I can afford to put some points into production and gold?
You're not likely to need an awake expander, your troops are just that good. Look at my god: he is a quitessential Scales build. He gives me the tools right away to build my expansion forces, and has growth and luck to keep my momentum up. Luck in particular is super-important. Every time a barbarian raids your province, your troops are diverted away from the front. Small misfortunes really do add up and I personally believe in never taking misf unless you can afford O3 and have fortune tellers. You could do O3 and neutral luck, but I was getting +gem and +gold events all the time.

In particular, I tested O3 P2 and found that I wasn't able to recruit enough infantry in year one, so I swapped them and went for P3, which a lot of people would say is unnecessary because of the Smiths' resource bonus. And it paid off because I was able to murder B9 Mictlan. People in IRC just about fell out of their seats when I told them that. When I lost 3/4 of my guardians in a battle, I was able to simply make more. (I also anticipated my losses because I chose the battle and had replacements already en-route.) Out-producing your enemies is a very real thing that can win wars easily.

Another thing is spies siege engineers, and Black Lords-> I went into my wars confident that I could win them, I never had any trouble breaking forts, and I never worried about troop morale and I saved money in some forts that could be used at the front line or on diversity mages. Which is another nice thing about Master Smiths: you rarely have to recruit indie commanders.

As for endgame, it really depends on who you're facing and the resources you have available. Getting diversity is really important for any nation. I built my go to forge A boosters so that my A1s would be able to do extra forging and N boosters because shaman are pretty common. You can pretty reliably get Lizard Shaman (N1S1) in the MA, and they are worth dropping a fort on to recruit. Amazons are less common but equally good. I found a Mirror Wall Palace that gave me A2S2 (20%awsd) and I never stopped recruiting them. Every S2 can mind-hunt. If you get a W1, she will forge Bottles of Living Water. Sitesearch thoroughly and you can find yourself with a lot more diversity than people expect. And make those research boosters, 1a for a quill is practically free, and 1f for a lantern is even better if you aren't worried about horrors. I out-researched Pythium for most of the game!

How that's changed by who you're facing? I was looking at Pythium and Eriu as my main opponents, so I was worried about lightning damage, so I got Ground Army. When I was facing Pan and was worried about Iron Bane, I summoned Mechanical Men and Living Statues. Troll King's Court is nice, too, but can add upkeep pretty quick since troll summons all have a high gcost. Draconians should be a part of your swiss army knife. Use summons and empowerments to up your diversity and mage strength in the long run. If you're planning to win, you need to play the long game. A three-year plan to get Blood Stones is worth it because it gives you easy e5 in combat. An empowerment for Flaming Skulls is worth it, because they can get you Flame Spirits.

Also, Magma Eruption is shockingly powerful. 23+ non-elemental magic damage at AoE5 for only 30 fatigue? Buff precision and cast that poo poo all day!

Edit: I'm going to go ahead and lay my victory at the feet of my opponents, though. They really did not fight me effectively or use the tools at their disposal.

Edit: Accidentally said Order3 sloth2 instead of Prod2 in my first paragraph. Huge difference

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Aug 26, 2015

Absum
May 28, 2013

Iron Bane doesn't affect your own troops and you can easily afford an awake with O3P3G3 if you go Drain, without even taking any Misf.

e: I'm idiot?

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
MA Ulm should take an awake pretender snake because they can. MA Ulm is all about BECAUSE I CAN. You can get plenty good scales with an Earth Snake and the extra few provinces early matter. Ulm wins because it gets way the gently caress ahead and puts an earthquake trap in every province, then it gets further the gently caress ahead and puts a Rain of Stones trap in every province. In the meantime it can hire 1000 scouts and bootstrap blood if it needs to or just jam an advantage down peoples' throats with whatever sites they have found.

Magma Eruption and Iron Blizzard are the gravy on your mashed taters so spam the gently caress out of that garbage. Preach a lot to spread dom, you have the time and money. Hire 1000000 researchers and build a fort in every drat province.

Ulm is easy and dumb but don't hamstring yourself by not abusing every last tool you have for getting ahead because you do have trouble making gains in the lategame if you aren't ahead already.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...
I agree with awake pretender with MA Ulm, because there's no reason not to. Taking lots of territory early improves your odds of finding Indy sites to improve your mage diversity later.

People forget that the nation also has Earth/Astral access, which allows you to bust out Crystal Matrices later on. This is invaluable if you happen to find a Lizard Shaman, Crystal Sorc or Sage site. Suddenly you have access to all this combat magic that you wouldn't have been able to cast before.

Great infantry, sacred-killing Guardians, great evocations, Earthquake and Rain of Stones, Crystal Matrices, cheap lanterns. The nation has everything to win Dominions 4, and it often does. It's easily among the top tier for MA.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

It's funny, because maybe I'm imagining things but a year and a half ago MA Ulm wasn't considered that good. Or at least I have that foggy impression. And now everyone agrees they are top tier :P

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

It's funny, because maybe I'm imagining things but a year and a half ago MA Ulm wasn't considered that good. Or at least I have that foggy impression. And now everyone agrees they are top tier :P

The addition of +10res mages, making repel not suck and changing how bad being tired is, they are a lot better than they ever were in dom3

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Nuclearmonkee posted:

The addition of +10res mages, making repel not suck and changing how bad being tired is, they are a lot better than they ever were in dom3

How it was before in Dom3? Stronger or weaker penalty?
For me it sucks a lot now , a few rounds of combat and units are already panting out and eating hits because they are too tired to avoid them, and if the battle is big and the unit is tough, they literally fall exhausted.

edit:

quote:

2015-08-26 16:22:38 +0200
Version 4.21

2015-08-26 16:22:02 +0200
Event fixes

2015-08-26 16:16:39 +0200
Stat fixes & typos
Battle music didn't stop when exiting battle with 'n'
Don't bail out when someone uses an empty nametype

4.21 already out. I think they did it so fast because some people couldn't play as the game believed they had a bad cdkey.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Aug 26, 2015

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Turin Turambar posted:

Everyone thought they were good ever since the beta. Formations got added, powerful mages were made StR, SCs were nerfed, the massive encumbrance problems of blackplate was solved, etc. I still think the best MA nation is a toss up between Pangaea and C'tis.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Thanks for the help.

Trip report: Naked (as in E3 and Awe 9) Snake rules, even if it's way of fighting is standing there looking bored until the enemy gets bored and leaves. I can go O2P2G1L1D2, which seems enough to poo poo out armies each couple of turns. I'm tempted to drop Order to get Luck 2 and hope for a mage for some diversity, but it's probably a bad idea. I'll have some rounds with Speleothing's guy and see how it goes.

Does the poison resistance the serpent gets grant immunity from Blowpipes? I'm not sure how resistances and stun damage interact.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

Thanks for the help.

Trip report: Naked (as in E3 and Awe 9) Snake rules, even if it's way of fighting is standing there looking bored until the enemy gets bored and leaves. I can go O2P2G1L1D2, which seems enough to poo poo out armies each couple of turns. I'm tempted to drop Order to get Luck 2 and hope for a mage for some diversity, but it's probably a bad idea. I'll have some rounds with Speleothing's guy and see how it goes.

Does the poison resistance the serpent gets grant immunity from Blowpipes? I'm not sure how resistances and stun damage interact.

You can run Earth Snake E6 with a lower dom and it works just as well for cheaper.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

amuayse posted:

Everyone thought they were good ever since the beta. Formations got added, powerful mages were made StR, SCs were nerfed, the massive encumbrance problems of blackplate was solved, etc. I still think the best MA nation is a toss up between Pangaea and C'tis.
No love for Ashdod?

Those Ditanim are pretty brutal if you don't have D magic in your nation, and they have pretty good access to a ton of global threats.

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Aug 26, 2015

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

jBrereton posted:

No love for Ashdod?

Those Ditanim are pretty brutal if you don't have D magic in your nation, and they have pretty good access to a ton of global threats.

Ashdod is not a very good nation and MA is D central. Ditanu are very cool but Ashdod should be on the back foot way before they come online and people are going to bring answers to undead vs you anyway.

Top MA nations are without much of a doubt Asphodel, Ermor (duh), Ulm, Pangaea, Sceleria, and probably now Pythium. No other nations come close though MA is pretty fair overall. There are few bad nations in MA and pretty much everyone can do something well, though some are overly reliant on gems and start very slow.

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Aug 26, 2015

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

fool_of_sound posted:

You can run Earth Snake E6 with a lower dom and it works just as well for cheaper.

Isn't awe THE thing to have for SCs?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

Normally yes, but when you have Protection 26 from earth magic you don't really need it. Just don't try to take barbarian/undead provinces with it and you'll be fine.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Fat Samurai posted:

Not anymore now it would be Being An Earth Snake With E6 (barbs are real doable just be in the back in case something goes wrong)

Fornadan
Dec 7, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

The key thing to have for SCs is something to prevent them from getting hit a lot.

Awe is the default option for SC pretenders as it's achievable for every chassis by just raising Dom high enough, but really high protection or fear also works.

Attempting to expand blindly on turn 1 with your Awe SC pretender and running into longdead horsemen can be ... unfun

Fornadan fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Aug 26, 2015

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
ashdod is the good nation in the hinnom line

Absum
May 28, 2013

Awake pretenders aren't SCs those don't really exist anymore and you can run into barbs just fine most of the time (with E6 earth snake), just stay away from skeleton until you have earthpower or support.

Samog posted:

ashdod is the good nation in the hinnom line

this is some faint praise right here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urban Sorcerer
Oct 16, 2005

Turin Turambar posted:

EA R'Lyeh

Slave Prince 5g cheaper
Polypal Mother Mind Slime attribute
Shambler Thrall 5g cheaper

I'm not sure what I was expecting but wow EA R'Lyeh went from being the worst nation to the most worst nation - It only has units with iron weapons and armor so now instead of just being unable to get on land and do anything its units are even trashier than before in the water.

• Locked thread