Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I just noticed that the K-Wing model has turbofan engines. It's a spacecraft. :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imp Boy
Feb 8, 2004
If I remember my nerdy childhood reading habits, that weapon was indeed defeated by the mighty force of cheap non-union labor. I don't think the good guys even had a hand in it.

It's poo poo like this that makes me glad the Disney canon nuked everything Kevin Anderson wrote in the setting.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

grassy gnoll posted:

Wasn't Darksaber written to be a story about how a superweapon built by the lowest bidder turns out to be poo poo?

Pretty much. Even in later EU books, the Hutts would comment on how the Darksaber was a friggen dumb idea.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Tekopo posted:

Sheev is a good name, right?

What are you talking about? His name is Palpy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBEdgPFoBjY&t=495s

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
If we're talking about EU ships and goofy TIE variants, what about the Clawcraft?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Archenteron posted:

If we're talking about EU ships and goofy TIE variants, what about the Clawcraft?

That cockpit view would make parallel parking impossible

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

Assault Gunboats own :colbert:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

parabolic posted:

Looks kind of chunky for a Star Wing. Wait, is that a chopped up shuttle?

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Now I know y'all ain't forgetting about my homeboy the TYE-Wing when we're talking adorably stupid looking things.

TARDISman fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Aug 27, 2015

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

So when are they going to make Yuuzhon Vong ships

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

TARDISman posted:

Now I know y'all ain't forgetting about my homeboy the TYE-Wing when we're talking adorably stupid looking things.

this owns.

the YV-666 and K-Wing are completely ruining my storage scheme :(

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

It combines all the lack of shields of a TIE Fighter and all the lack of speed of a Y-Wing! The most tactically superior ship!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Y-Wings and TIEs make the best uglies. :colbert:

Y-wings being poo poo was a dumb EU thing, they had a decent showing in the OT and kicked rear end in The Clone Wars cartoon.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It's not even an EU thing, it's a "NPCs make passing bitchy comments in some of the video games" thing, really. Y-wings were always outdated but respectable ships that used to be the Rebels' main fighter until they developed dedicated space superiority craft and the Y-wings was relegated to fighter-bomber duties. There's a reason why they're referred to as "the workhorse of the Rebel Alliance."

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
I always liked the idea that Y-wings had the best straight-line speed, which is why they went into the trench first. But I recall them being slow as hell in the X-wing games which is too bad. It was so easy to vaporize TIEs with those chin mounted lasers though :allears:

parabolic posted:

That is fuckin rad. Is that a new one? I don't recall seeing any of the old kitbashes/shapeways looking this good.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

yellowjournalism posted:

It was so easy to vaporize TIEs with those chin mounted lasers though :allears:

Why not just use the Ions? It takes 4 laser bolt hits to kill a TIE, but only two ion bolt hits to disable, at which point they spontaneously self-destruct. I felt so clever when I discovered that as a kid.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

yellowjournalism posted:

I always liked the idea that Y-wings had the best straight-line speed, which is why they went into the trench first. But I recall them being slow as hell in the X-wing games which is too bad. It was so easy to vaporize TIEs with those chin mounted lasers though :allears:

That is fuckin rad. Is that a new one? I don't recall seeing any of the old kitbashes/shapeways looking this good.

Oh, thanks, I made it out of a shuttle and plastic tubing. I've even played it at a couple local tournaments as a doomsaw. I know it's the wrong scale, but it was a fun afternoon build either way.

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009
Sorry to derail this ugly starship chat, but I was hoping you could give me some ideas on which expansions I should get next. As I mentioned earlier, I am totally a casual player and it seems none of my friends will be buying their own squadrons despite liking the game. Therefore, I have to collect both Rebel and Imperial while trying to cater for different playstyles to keep the game interesting and make all kinds of squadron builds possible. Here is my current collection:

2 x Core Set
Rebel Aces
Millenium Falcon
X-Wing

TIE Advanced
Slave I
Imperial Aces

I have printed out proxy cards for Howlrunner and Soontir Fel. My next confirmed purchase will be the TIE Phantom, but from that point on, I am not sure which expansions would give us more options. YT-2400? Decimator?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I don't know how someone could say the Assault Gunboat doesn't fit with Imperial ship aesthetics just because it doesn't have TIE panels. It's almost literally a miniature Lambda with the folding wings removed and replaced by fixed wings. The warhead racks even correspond to the pivots where the folding wings connect on the Lambda.

Gunboat

Lambda

The canopy is different but the general aesthetic is very similar.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Kanos posted:

I don't know how someone could say the Assault Gunboat doesn't fit with Imperial ship aesthetics just because it doesn't have TIE panels. It's almost literally a miniature Lambda with the folding wings removed and replaced by fixed wings. The warhead racks even correspond to the pivots where the folding wings connect on the Lambda.

Gunboat

Lambda

The wings aren't fixed. They fold up, exactly like a lambda. You can see it in the old TIE Fighter launch screen. There are loads of links between the starwing and the lambda.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

These Loving Eyes posted:

Sorry to derail this ugly starship chat, but I was hoping you could give me some ideas on which expansions I should get next. As I mentioned earlier, I am totally a casual player and it seems none of my friends will be buying their own squadrons despite liking the game. Therefore, I have to collect both Rebel and Imperial while trying to cater for different playstyles to keep the game interesting and make all kinds of squadron builds possible. Here is my current collection:

2 x Core Set
Rebel Aces
Millenium Falcon
X-Wing

TIE Advanced
Slave I
Imperial Aces

I have printed out proxy cards for Howlrunner and Soontir Fel. My next confirmed purchase will be the TIE Phantom, but from that point on, I am not sure which expansions would give us more options. YT-2400? Decimator?

Personally I love my E-Wing and TIE Defenders, although both are a bit on the pricey end in game.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Kanos posted:

Gunboat

Lambda

I think the Gunboat looks just fine along side Empire's others ships. It, along with the Defender and other TIE's created in the EU, hold up the Empire's proud design decision to just keep adding wings.

Biaga
Oct 27, 2009
Honestly, a lot of the tie fighter variants look pretty stupid. I thought the same thing about the phantom until I bought the expansion, and now it's my favourite ship to fly.

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
remember jar jar binks?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

"TIE Boat"? :wtc:

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

tie raptor needs to be in the next wave

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The Hunter, Vanguard, Droid and Clawcraft are just about the only EU designs in that list that don't look like completely unimaginative rear end.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Those are all pretty stupid, but the TIE experimental MK 1 is a special kind of stupid.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

It's a drone ship :shrug:

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

i am not up on the fake mechanics of how the TIE craft actually operate, but do they need the wings to fly in space? I vaguely remember something about the wings being solar panels (or some sort of equivalent). So in space, couldn't the fighter just be the ball, and be a lot harder to hit?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Why wouldn't they need solar panels in space? And yeah, they are solar panels.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Orvin posted:

i am not up on the fake mechanics of how the TIE craft actually operate, but do they need the wings to fly in space? I vaguely remember something about the wings being solar panels (or some sort of equivalent). So in space, couldn't the fighter just be the ball, and be a lot harder to hit?

We know they're not solar panels because all the EU garbage that said they were got thrown out and the First Order paints them white which would make them reflect solar energy. I've always been partial to the idea that they're radiators for bleeding off heat buildup.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Yeah I always imagined them to be radiators attached to a super fast engine that made a lot of heat. They couldn't have shields cuz that would've been even hotter and movie-wise the deflectors didn't do much anyway.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Tekopo posted:

Why wouldn't they need solar panels in space? And yeah, they are solar panels.

While I will go along with the "battles in deep space never happen" hand waving, you still never know how strong the star in a system will be, or how far away from it you will be. There is a lot less solar energy out by Saturn than there is here by Earth. Or what happens when the fighting is on the night side of a planet?

This tells me that there is a sizable energy (or fuel) reserve, so why not eliminate the huge targets on the side, and just use the core cockpit to make them even more manuverable and harder to hit?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
mst3k mantra. Why do the xwings have wings at all, let alone 4? Why are the aerodynamic when no other Rebel fighter really is.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

bunnyofdoom posted:

mst3k mantra. Why do the xwings have wings at all, let alone 4? Why are the aerodynamic when no other Rebel fighter really is.

I always assumed they were less about flight characteristics and more about putting distance between the laser cannons and the fuselage, either to widen the spread of fire or cooling purposes or both.

Or because the whole dogfight scene in ANH is based on WWII planes with wings and George Lucas is not creative.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I really want the TIE Lambda now, specifically because it is so loving ugly.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

bunnyofdoom posted:

They are for holding big guns and engines :clint:

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Obama 2012 posted:

I always assumed they were less about flight characteristics and more about putting distance between the laser cannons and the fuselage, either to widen the spread of fire or cooling purposes or both.

Or because the whole dogfight scene in ANH is based on WWII planes with wings and George Lucas is not creative.

Well, it was meant to feel like the WW2 air combat, I don't think it has anything to do with lack of creativity. It's space opera, not hard sci fi. WW2 and Korea are really the only large conflicts that had significant air-to-air combat before missiles took over for guns as the main weapon. And WW2 is significantly more well known.

Also, you generally want the guns on a plane as close to the center as possible, so that convergence isn't as big a deal. The only reason most WW2 planes have them on the wings was space restrictions since the engine was usually in the nose, and that made mounting guns there tricky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Why not just use the Ions? It takes 4 laser bolt hits to kill a TIE, but only two ion bolt hits to disable, at which point they spontaneously self-destruct. I felt so clever when I discovered that as a kid.

Ahhhh memoriesssss yeahhh I would just switch between lasers and ions as they ran out so I could keep more power to engines. Both the chin lasers and the BTL ion loving ruled. God drat I loved flying that truck around.

parabolic posted:

Oh, thanks, I made it out of a shuttle and plastic tubing. I've even played it at a couple local tournaments as a doomsaw. I know it's the wrong scale, but it was a fun afternoon build either way.

it's beautiful :swoon:

make me one

i'll suck your dick

in space

• Locked thread