Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

Feenix posted:

Oooooh, new Plex!

Yeah and it becomes free for plexpass subscribers 2 weeks after I buy it. :negative:

Honestly though, plex is so great I don't really mind sending them an extra few quid for the work they put in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
Does anyone have a recommendation for a simple drawing app for iPhone? In particular I'd like to be able to import things from my photo library and scribble on them.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
SketchBook should do the trick:
https://appsto.re/us/LzmR0.i

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

My amex is giving me $5 of free iTunes money. Typically it has to be in a single transaction. If I buy multiple things that all add up to $5 in a small amount of time, say 10 minutes, will they get grouped together? (Sorry, I'm new to iOS.)

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

the littlest prince posted:

My amex is giving me $5 of free iTunes money. Typically it has to be in a single transaction. If I buy multiple things that all add up to $5 in a small amount of time, say 10 minutes, will they get grouped together? (Sorry, I'm new to iOS.)

yeah

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

the littlest prince posted:

Are they giving you a code to add into your store account, or just doing it on their backend for a purchase that comes from Apple?

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

flosofl posted:

Are they giving you a code to add into your store account, or just doing it on their backend for a purchase that comes from Apple?

The latter.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Trust a credit card company to do something simple in the most obtuse way possible to guarantee it screws customers in some manner.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Feenix posted:

Outlook users: am I just misunderstanding what RSVP functionality should be doing when I accept? I go to my calendar tab in Outlook and nothing I accepted is there. Shouldn't this be basic functionality/obvious?

If you go to the Calendar tab, and then click the Menu button (the three horizontal lines, top left), is your Calendar actually active? Mine got shutoff after a recent update.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Someone at Tumblr got real fuckin' high before writing the update notes. There's a lot more that couldn't be captured Ina. Single screen:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The tumblr updates are always like that!

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I'm sad I moved from pocket casts to overcast because I loved reading pocket casts patch notes.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

mAlfunkti0n posted:

So, does iBooks data get backed up to iCloud? Such as any PDF/ePub (not purchased but loaded via the browser's "open in ibooks" option)?

If not, how are annotations and such supposed to be backed up? I swear I have restored my data before with no issues when moving from one device to another .. or am I just nuts?

I believe annotations/bookmarks/etc are synced via cloud but the document itself isn't.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

LionYeti posted:

I'm sad I moved from pocket casts to overcast because I loved reading pocket casts patch notes.

Well is hasn't been updated for 40 weeks so you aren't missing much

Mechanical Fiend
Sep 5, 2011

How'd that asshole get a white robe?!

Can anyone recommend a good chess app? I just want to play chess with my friend over the Internet without ads. Doesn't have to be free.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mechanical Fiend posted:

Can anyone recommend a good chess app? I just want to play chess with my friend over the Internet without ads. Doesn't have to be free.

Get the paid version of Chess With Friends?

EDIT: Apparently it's missing some features people would like. So I dunno.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Is anyone regularly using News on iOS 9? I'm looking for a Flipboard replacement. The garbage in that app has just piled too high. Today, I clicked some link which had a live stream video embedded which would keep immediately launching itself, even after managing to swipe out of the page, until I force-closed the app.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I ended up putting selfoss on my private server and spending way too much drat time setting up RSS feeds. It has a usable mobile interface. There's probably better out there.

It's the only solution I've found that doesn't bury me in ads or include poo poo I give no fucks about.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Anyone recommend a video player that does DTS decoding that is better than nPlayer? With the v3.0 update I have to pay for it again if I want DTS. I'm fine with that, it has been a few years, but just wondering if there are new options to consider.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

The new nplayer ui is ugly as poo poo.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

So apple music has been totally hosed on 8.4.1 for the last few days (check out the apple support forums.) I just restored my phone as new and it still doesn't work. Pathetic. I can't even get into the music option in Settings menu, it just hangs. Awful!

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I ran out of data so turned it off, now when I launch the music app away from wifi it just displays white. Is it trying to download something? (no apple music etc)

Suppose I'll have to listen to a podcast instead. Steve is rolling in his

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

enojy posted:

Is anyone regularly using News on iOS 9? I'm looking for a Flipboard replacement. The garbage in that app has just piled too high. Today, I clicked some link which had a live stream video embedded which would keep immediately launching itself, even after managing to swipe out of the page, until I force-closed the app.

It's really barebones at the moment. It does a decent enough job of presenting information, but it suffers from Apple Music's problem of having an obtuse preference indication system that seems to let you set it once but then doesn't offer ways to refine it later. I really wish there was a Show Less Of This button on some of these articles so it could learn that I don't like celebrity gossip, of anything written by Buzzfeed. Flipboard added this to its iPad app recently, actually.

The sources that are just an RSS reader come with the same caveat that any reader has where some sites give you one sentence and then want you to load the site. News makes this easy by letting you swipe up to find the webpage hiding underneath waiting for you, but it's still irritating that this step is needed.

The sources that are providing formatted content actually look really nice, and apparently there are some parts of that platform that aren't even turned on yet. I think News will live and die on how well-supported they are by content providers. The presentation is merely okay when it's being an RSS reader, but switches to great when in its own element.

Google News app is a nice compact Google News provider. This means of course you're being linked directly to random sites rather than it being inline, but if you like Material Design it can't be beat. It also lets you put a widget in the Today area, which neither Flipboard nor News do.

e: News actually decides to live in the left-hand Siri Suggestions area, which is... Okay, I guess. I still wish Apple would put poo poo on the lock screen already.

Celery Jello fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Aug 28, 2015

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

priznat posted:

Anyone recommend a video player that does DTS decoding that is better than nPlayer? With the v3.0 update I have to pay for it again if I want DTS. I'm fine with that, it has been a few years, but just wondering if there are new options to consider.

Give Infuse a shot. The free version won't do ac3, but if you like the general style then you can upgrade it.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Mechanical Fiend posted:

I'm bad at chess, but had fun with Tall Chess.

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.
The chess.com app is the best for this.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Last 7 pages make no mention of the word "task" so I'm firing away.

Brief background: I used to not know how to use or what the gently caress Evernote was all about, but I eventually figured it out and have used it for a while to take notes and save links and such. However, I find it pretty convoluted/sloppy for task management.

I'm looking for an app (ideally with a web/desktop client that I can use on my work MacBook) that's a little more precisely focused on creating new and managing finished tasks to ramp up my productivity.

Any recommendations?

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao

ShoogaSlim posted:

I'm looking for an app (ideally with a web/desktop client that I can use on my work MacBook) that's a little more precisely focused on creating new and managing finished tasks to ramp up my productivity.

Any recommendations?

I did this same search over the summer and ended up settling on Todoist (https://en.todoist.com/). It has a web app, desktop client, app, all that stuff plus its simple and clean. I use evernote to do complicated stuff and todoist is for daily task management.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Can Overcast import files from my computer? Some podcasts I like aren't available as streams and you have to download and put them on your podcast app. It was working great with the Podcasts app but I've decided to forget getting that to work ever again.

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

tuyop posted:

Can Overcast import files from my computer? Some podcasts I like aren't available as streams and you have to download and put them on your podcast app. It was working great with the Podcasts app but I've decided to forget getting that to work ever again.

This might solve your problem: https://huffduffer.com

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

tuyop posted:

Not currently.

Kenny Logins posted:

Just to update the "Overcast sucks because no imported media" tip, the latest episode of Accidental Tech Podcast addresses this issue to an extent. Marco has the functionality for his own personal version but is currently canvassing the legality of allowing imported media for all users. This is because it would necessarily need to go through the web player as well, and he is not sure where he would be (legally) if people used Overcast to have him effectively webhost potentially pirated content.

So, if he does get comfortable with the concept all the work is already done for the feature.

It's a pretty sensible concern and I guess it's just the bad comes with the good of having a decent web player.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The bad solution is to release a version that allows uploads but not web player access. I'm surprised he can't figure out a way to block self-uploaded podcasts from being transferred to the web player, though.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
It's probably more of a lack of motivation. It's not clear that doing the work would actually make the app sell better and he is extremely clear that he thinks in those terms. He does respond if enough people clamor for a feature (see the iPad port) so maybe try submitting feedback with that suggestion.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

eriddy posted:

I did this same search over the summer and ended up settling on Todoist (https://en.todoist.com/). It has a web app, desktop client, app, all that stuff plus its simple and clean. I use evernote to do complicated stuff and todoist is for daily task management.

I will give this a shot. Much obliged.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ShoogaSlim posted:

I will give this a shot. Much obliged.

I'll toss Wonderlist into the ring as well. But really, either one is great for simple task tracking/reminders across multiple devices and operating systems.

OmniFocus is a great project, but it's too drat expensive if you can't get work to reimburse you. It's also total overkill unless you're a complete GTD freak with multiple projects with a ton of inter-dependancies.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

flosofl posted:

I'll toss Wonderlist into the ring as well. But really, either one is great for simple task tracking/reminders across multiple devices and operating systems.

OmniFocus is a great project, but it's too drat expensive if you can't get work to reimburse you. It's also total overkill unless you're a complete GTD freak with multiple projects with a ton of inter-dependancies.

Thanks! I'll start fresh with both Todoist and Wunderlist. Whichever helps me actually get my poo poo done will be the one that stays on my phone.

I doubt work will expense an app like OmniFocus, especially when people on my team have already suggested some other pretty lousy free apps.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

tuyop posted:

I had the same problem. I just tell iTunes that the mp3s are audiobooks and it...sorta works. Since they merged audiobooks into the iBooks app, it loses quite a few things that worked well when they remained in the music app. Like tracklists, and consistent playback resuming. It's probably the fastest way to get it back, but youll have to deal with seeing the track names as just 'Track 12'. Minor annoyance.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ShoogaSlim posted:

Thanks! I'll start fresh with both Todoist and Wunderlist. Whichever helps me actually get my poo poo done will be the one that stays on my phone.

I doubt work will expense an app like OmniFocus, especially when people on my team have already suggested some other pretty lousy free apps.

You guys should use basecamp ! I use wunderlist for personal stuff but basecamp far more work orientated.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Quantum of Phallus posted:

You guys should use basecamp ! I use wunderlist for personal stuff but basecamp far more work orientated.

For project stuff most of my team uses Trello.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

My team uses Trello for group tasks, but I really just want something for the tasks that I'm responsible for personally, and don't necessarily want/need to share with the rest of the team.