Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Serperoth posted:

I know this is off-topic but there's two threads that might be of help with that. This one and this one

Or this one, depending on your mood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Absolutely hilarious that channels can run the actual video of the two people being shot but yet a show that has nothing to do with it has to be postponed.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
Yeah, well, y'know, USA can't run the risk of people getting upset that a show might show sensitive material. It's not like beating up a bum, gay sex, a gang member getting shot in the head, a girl with her throat slit, or sister kissing could possibly offend anyone.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also
It's called sensitivity, dude.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Wake_N_Bake posted:

It's called being a pussy, dude.

Fixed that for you.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

I mean, I'm disappointed by the postponement for sure, but it would kind of suck if we were watching some dramatic scene and all we could think about was how closely it mirrored the shooting today.
That would hurt the episode, for one (though I'll still be thinking about it next week, and am curious to see the scene).

And two, imagine that someone relatively close to the victims sat down this evening for Mr. Robot, trying to relax, and then OH WHOOPS, a livestreamed first-person shooting plot point. It would suck.
For example, soon after one of my friends was murdered, a Breaking Bad scene similar to the killing didn't go down well.

On the other hand, I'm actually kind of amazed that Mr. Robot mirrors reality enough to have predicted something similar to this.
I have a feeling the future is going to have a lot more of these kinds of attacks.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Stand it like a man... and give some back

Wake_N_Bake posted:

It's called sensitivity, dude.

That is one way to look at it. Another is that USA is using the shooting as an excuse to raise interest in the show and build momentum.

I think another, more accurate assessment is probably along the lines of USA Network Execs having this convo:

"That gunman sure was crazy"
"Wait a minute, Elliot in Mr. Robot is crazy"
"Well, poo poo, we better pull the finale for tonight. We don't want to appear insensitive, we might lose momentum"

:allears:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

"We will not be airing this episode of Mr. Robot in order to respect today's tragedy. Instead we will air six hours of SVU reruns featuring torture, rape, terrorism, and murder."

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Two real live people are dead and folks are whinging about a TV show being delayed? God.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
I bet no one in that poo poo hole town even watches this show.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

BrianWilly posted:

Two real live people are dead and folks are whinging about a TV show being delayed? God.

I am in Canada, your poo poo gun culture ruins lives every day why does it have to affect MY tv habits!

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

Two people committed suicide after having their Ashley Madison profiles hacked. Where is the outrage there? Those two deaths were at least both hack related in terms of themes.

Honestly, if USA Networks decides to wait until a "clean news day" to run the show, it might well be into next year before it airs.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

CrushedWill posted:

Two people committed suicide after having their Ashley Madison profiles hacked. Where is the outrage there? Those two deaths were at least both hack related in terms of themes.

Honestly, if USA Networks decides to wait until a "clean news day" to run the show, it might well be into next year before it airs.

Source. Your. Quotes.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

BrianWilly posted:

Not anymore they arent.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Spergatory posted:

Burn the world.

Okay, not really, but this is especially ill-timed for me. I was already having a bad day and desperately hoping this would make it better. loving motherfuck. gently caress guns and gently caress the people who misuse them.

Sorry about your bad day man. On he bright side, at least you weren't gunned down on live television

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015
I get why USA would delay the episode, but as a gesture its more symbolic than meaningful. What is a week going to change?

What are the chances of the show airing still in Canada/other regions tonight, as usually happens when something is shooting delayed (we still got the Hannibal episode after Boston, etc.)? I don't know how USA distributes internationally.

huge pile of hamburger
Nov 4, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

Shut the gently caress up

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

watwat posted:

Shut the gently caress up

we all have our crosses to bear ... for some, it's being shot in cold blood by a madman. for others, its not being able to watch an episode of a basic cable drama on a specific night

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

ive seen rated r movies worse than the poo poo on the news

bunch of babbies

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Those two nobodies will still be dead next week, but I had people coming over to watch the finale tonight. Postponing it has affected my life more than the deaths of a couple of strangers. What am I supposed to do with all the chips and dip I bought?! USA has made a powerful enemy this day. No more watching Psych reruns for me!

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

Those two nobodies will still be dead next week, but I had people coming over to watch the finale tonight. Postponing it has affected my life more than the deaths of a couple of strangers. What am I supposed to do with all the chips and dip I bought?! USA has made a powerful enemy this day. No more watching Psych reruns for me!

shove them all in your fat gaping maw like you were going to do anyway

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm sure your mom and sister will get over it.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"
It's a tragedy what happened, but I'm so desensitized to stuff like that now. I guess if you're a fan of the show (like me), the fact that they're postponing the airing displays both good taste and gives them a way to get extra publicity. Glass half full!

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also

BrianWilly posted:

Seriously, what the gently caress?? Sorry your spergtastic show was delayed a week, if you don't realize why then you're literally more socially stunted than Elliot. gently caress you.

E: I'm agreeing with your sarcasm, as I'm having to literally type this out for the spergs to make it clear. What a shitshow this thread has become.

Wake_N_Bake fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Aug 27, 2015

BrandNew
May 16, 2007

Get me my BLUE WINDBREAKER!
They will still be dead in a week. I watched both of the videos and read all the news reports and that poo poo was heartbreaking but delaying this doesn't really do anything.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I too have trouble separating television from real life

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

BrandNew posted:

They will still be dead in a week. I watched both of the videos and read all the news reports and that poo poo was heartbreaking but delaying this doesn't really do anything.

It's cool that you elected to watch not one, but two videos of people being shot and killed

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

BrandNew posted:

Sorry your fat, unaffected rear end is bereft of an hour of entertainment. I'm sure there's some corner of the internet that agreed you are deserved of this, but I hope SA isn't one of them.

gently caress. Off.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Wake_N_Bake posted:

What a shitshow this thread has become.

I dunno, doesn't seem so bad to me. I just hope there aren't any car accidents, military deaths, kidnappings, ISIS beheadings, people jumping off bridges, heat or fire related deaths, or any other reason to postpone again. I'd really like to get to see the finale before the end of the year.

BrandNew
May 16, 2007

Wake_N_Bake posted:

Sorry your fat, unaffected rear end is bereft of an hour of entertainment. I'm sure there's some corner of the internet that agreed you are deserved of this, but I hope SA isn't one of them.

gently caress. Off.

I'm quite fit actually and lead a normal life. Horrible poo poo happens across the world every day.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

You can be a shithole at any age. ^^^

CrushedWill posted:

I dunno, doesn't seem so bad to me. I just hope there aren't any car accidents, military deaths, kidnappings, ISIS beheadings, people jumping off bridges, heat or fire related deaths, or any other reason to postpone again. I'd really like to get to see the finale before the end of the year.

For your sake I hope they never air it, you teenager.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

TV shows like Mr. Robot are to blame for this type of violence.

*shows clip of actual shooting multiple times a day*

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

BrandNew posted:

I'm quite fit actually and lead a normal life. Horrible poo poo happens across the world every day.

Congrats on your fit body my man

BrandNew
May 16, 2007

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Congrats on your fit body my man

Thanks bud

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Wake_N_Bake posted:

For your sake I hope they never air it, you teenager.

Bitter, party of one. You need to relax, you are going to give yourself a heart attack with that amount of stress. Which would truly be unfortunate as it would be yet another reason USA Networks would postpone the finale of Mr. Robot.

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015
So...

The presentation of Evil Corp is really interesting. They are, by all accounts, the villain of the show and yet we've never been shown them doing anything all that evil. At first I thought this was another example of a 'Wayward Pines' style incompetent omniscience, the organisation that see's everything, knows everything and yet somehow misses all of the main characters actions. It's become clearer now though that its actually something much subtler; no-one at E-corp is as traditionally evil as Elliot, but the system is inherently evil and the people just allow it go on, as is the case in real life. I realise that's the surface plot of the show, but being that it's not written by David Simon I kept expecting this to be undercut and a clear bad guy to surface. Even Tyrell, who is sort of straight out of a different show, isn't really an antagonist nor is he really a part of E-Corp. As much fun as the pulpy parts of the show are, the fact that its approaching institutions in this way is really refreshing and the real revelation for me this season.

I really hope that Angela takes the job and season two is just an hour long version of Enlightened, is I guess my point.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Laserface posted:

TV shows like Mr. Robot are to blame for this type of violence.

*shows clip of actual shooting multiple times a day*

Do you actually think that's what's happening here? Have you considered that maybe the network is uncomfortable with airing an episode that recalls horrific events that literally happened to actual human beings earlier today? Do you feel compassion for other human beings?

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

Try not to let any Cheetos fall out of your mouth as you defend your right to watch your show. You autistic spectrum retard.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

ultramiraculous posted:

Uhh...so what if it's "Elliot Corp" :tinfoil:

This isn't Continuum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ev
Aug 3, 2006
I fully understand USA delaying the episode and have no issue with it and I'll watch it next week, but is the finale airing in Canada or anywhere else tonight? I have no idea what channel it's on in other countries.

• Locked thread