Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
You sure you have Shogun 2 and not just Fall of the Samurai?

Davincie posted:

creative assembly is making halo (total) wars 2 for xbox and pc

wait is the the 'beloved franchise' microsoft was hiring rts people for like a couple of years back. goddamn people were even joking about it being halo wars instead of age of empires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Davincie posted:

Well I'll be damned, It is true!

I can't wait to see TWC flip their poo poo over this one. It'll be delicious.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Koramei posted:

You sure you have Shogun 2 and not just Fall of the Samurai?

wait is the the 'beloved franchise' microsoft was hiring rts people for like a couple of years back. goddamn people were even joking about it being halo wars instead of age of empires.
Doh, that's probably it!

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

Well I'll be damned, It is true!

I can't wait to see TWC flip their poo poo over this one. It'll be delicious.

Oh Christ, that's the game that killed Ensemble.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Arbite posted:

Oh Christ, that's the game that killed Ensemble.

That wasn't because of Halo Wars. That was because of how the company was managed. Halo wars sold pretty well, I think it moved more units than Shadow Of Mordor.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Okay I'm an idiot and apparently have had a copy of FOTS for some time without knowing it (maybe a gift, I dunno, it was never played,) but I do have it.. Is there any way to get the voice-overs to not be english? It sounds like groundskeeper willy is one of my daimyos..

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Just a reminder that Creative Assembly's last attempt at a traditional RTS was Stormrise. A game so bad that it got clobbered in sales by the original Halo Wars, of all things.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

coyo7e posted:

Okay I'm an idiot and apparently have had a copy of FOTS for some time without knowing it (maybe a gift, I dunno, it was never played,) but I do have it.. Is there any way to get the voice-overs to not be english? It sounds like groundskeeper willy is one of my daimyos..

It was in the Sega Humble Bundle last November, so possibly you got it then.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The issue here is really the castle fights. The AI for them is really weird - it is completely passive on the defensive side, absolutely refusing to leave the fortress for any reason, meaning you can just mass archers and rain arrows on them until running out of ammo with very little damage having been done to your own army. Hell if you've got cannons you can basically wipe out all the enemy archers from range before moving your archers up and take out most of their army without a single casualty on your side. On the offensive side, it will just have everyone climb up the walls at one on every side, generally taking huge losses both from falling off the walls to the effects of your own ranged attackers (and if your defenders are matchlocks you can often rout several units before they even make it all the way up the wall), while all you have to do is park a good melee unit against the wall and slice them to pieces as they make it over.

The best battles in Shogun 2 are in the open fields, especially when the AI thinks it has the advantage since it will actively engage you (if you have the advantage it plays a really annoying turtle game where it just kind of sets up everyone in one giant line and waits until you force an engagement).
I seem to be able to lure yari out of castles pretty consistently by running cavalry around near the gates.

And again, is there any way to change the vocal barks from my commanders? I'm really sick of them sounding like texans and brits doing a japanese impression.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

dogstile posted:

That wasn't because of Halo Wars. That was because of how the company was managed. Halo wars sold pretty well, I think it moved more units than Shadow Of Mordor.

Oh? What kind of mismanagement?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Arbite posted:

Oh? What kind of mismanagement?

Microsoft canned some of their projects but didn't cut down the team size. Started haemorrhaging a bunch of money.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Okay can someone please explain or link to me, how in very simple terms, I am supposed to go about boarding a ship? Does having troops on board help?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Davincie posted:

:captainpop:

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

coyo7e posted:

Okay can someone please explain or link to me, how in very simple terms, I am supposed to go about boarding a ship? Does having troops on board help?

Which game?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

coyo7e posted:

What Total War game you talking about? Usually it is a simple matter of clicking the sword icon in your tool bar and then right clicking the ship you desire. Better soften up their crew or hope yours has better morale/numbers!

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I think he means for transport.

Rome 2/Atrilla don't board fleets, they just swim by themselves.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
FOTS, sorry, I figured since my last five posts were about that game on the last page and a half..

I find myself struggling to even get my ships to pull abroad and try to fire without racing 90% of the distance between them and their target, first. Can't imagine trying to board a ship, or how. Do I need a ram or something?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

coyo7e posted:

FOTS, sorry, I figured since my last five posts were about that game on the last page and a half..

I find myself struggling to even get my ships to pull abroad and try to fire without racing 90% of the distance between them and their target, first. Can't imagine trying to board a ship, or how. Do I need a ram or something?

In FOTS there are ships that literally cannot board other ships. So if you click board and hover over the enemy ship and there's no special sword icon, it's normal.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Oh, there is a board button? I assume on the bottom left like all the other weird buttons I had a terrible time finding were - such as "repair"? :pope101:

SeanBeansShako posted:

We all want TRIARI to come back. They know it.
FYI, you forgot the second "I". That's why they say "tree-ahrr-ee-yii!" ;)

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

I'm pretty sure there's a button. Maybe it's not enabled at all if a ship can't board? I don't recall the specifics other than that some ships can board others can't, some ships can be boarded others can't.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

coyo7e posted:

FotS ship battles are kind of annoying. You basically can't board because your ships will get demolished as they draw close.

You also can't effectively attack ships by right clicking on them. Instead, you need to micromanage your ships sailing path so that their firing arcs encompass the intended target. If the enemy ships attack you, it's fairly easy. Park your own ships in a line and use the pivot buttons to change where the cannons face.

If your force is stronger, the AI will park their ships in a line. You need to sail up to them, and steer hard before entering cannon range so that your ships can get broadsides off without taking too much damage. Then you try to focus your fire on a single ship as the rest of your line pulls up.

Only a few (maybe just one) ship gets a ram, the ironclad Kotetsu. Ramming is hard, but funny. What's more important about the Kotetsu is that it has forward firing guns. If you bring a Kotetsu to battle, you can force the AI to stop camping in a line because you can pilot your ironclads backwards while still firing.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

The Kotetsu's forward firing gun outranges everything but other ironclads. So you can creep forward with a Kotetsu until the AI goes, "gently caress I'm out ranged! Gotta charge now now now!" while the rest of your ships make a firing line. You can also game the system a little bit by manually firing, which gives a little bit extra range. The AI won't react if you're parked just outside your official range but are hammering them with manual shots. I don't mean the first person aiming mode, just pressing the fire now buttons is enough for the extra range.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

FotS ship battles are kind of annoying. You basically can't board because your ships will get demolished as they draw close.

You also can't effectively attack ships by right clicking on them. Instead, you need to micromanage your ships sailing path so that their firing arcs encompass the intended target. If the enemy ships attack you, it's fairly easy. Park your own ships in a line and use the pivot buttons to change where the cannons face.

If your force is stronger, the AI will park their ships in a line. You need to sail up to them, and steer hard before entering cannon range so that your ships can get broadsides off without taking too much damage. Then you try to focus your fire on a single ship as the rest of your line pulls up.

Only a few (maybe just one) ship gets a ram, the ironclad Kotetsu. Ramming is hard, but funny. What's more important about the Kotetsu is that it has forward firing guns. If you bring a Kotetsu to battle, you can force the AI to stop camping in a line because you can pilot your ironclads backwards while still firing.
Okay thanks, I was starting to figure out how to get them to turn and stuff with L and ; and poo poo (terrible control key choices, good god!), but the controls seem really finicky and the ships tend to go full steam when I try to turn, and then they keep steaming straight off at full speed if I don't watch them like a hawk (at which point the rest of my fleet fucks off).

Good tip about the Kotetsu as well, I haven't messed with many of the bigger ships yet.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
The solution to all FOTS naval battle questions is "get foreign ironclad(s) first, fill out the rest of your fleet with torpedo boats, and have a turkey shoot while they rush your line of battle"

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

canyoneer posted:

The solution to all FOTS naval battle questions is "get foreign ironclad(s) first, fill out the rest of your fleet with torpedo boats, and have a turkey shoot while they rush your line of battle"

All according to Kotetsu...

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Chomp8645 posted:

I want to know what the hell happened to using ALT + Right Click to order a ranged unit into melee. This whole "toggle melee mode on/off" thing they've done since Empire loving blows.
How do I do this in FOTS? I love that I can WASD the camera but I'm missing some control elements I'm used to.

Also, do waypoints work anymore? Or am I hitting the wrong key? I tried alt-click and shift-click and nothing..

Finally, I noticed that sometimes when I ctrl-doubleclick a unit to select all of its type, it will cut off some of the units. At first it seemed that it was for reinforcements however now I'm not so sure, I've seen it happen a few times now.

edit: oh yeah, are there hotkeys to cycle through units? I have a terrible time finding them manually, although I can cycle forward and back once I have the right kind of unit type (ie city, navy, army, agent) but I dunno if there is any way to just select "next agent" or "next army" etc..?

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Aug 9, 2015

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Shogun 2 is on sale on Steam (weeklong deals) for their usual discount, so if anyone needs to grab it go ahead. Fantastic stuff. I know there were a few posts above that only had FOTS, well here's your chance for the other game.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

coyo7e posted:

How do I do this in FOTS? I love that I can WASD the camera but I'm missing some control elements I'm used to.

Also, do waypoints work anymore? Or am I hitting the wrong key? I tried alt-click and shift-click and nothing..

Finally, I noticed that sometimes when I ctrl-doubleclick a unit to select all of its type, it will cut off some of the units. At first it seemed that it was for reinforcements however now I'm not so sure, I've seen it happen a few times now.

edit: oh yeah, are there hotkeys to cycle through units? I have a terrible time finding them manually, although I can cycle forward and back once I have the right kind of unit type (ie city, navy, army, agent) but I dunno if there is any way to just select "next agent" or "next army" etc..?

R toggles melee (wait or is it F? It's just muscle memory for me at this point I forget. One of the two). Shift+right click for waypoints. Hold down space on the map to see arrows for where your troops are going, waypoints should be obvious if it worked.

I dunno about campaign hotkeys but if you look in the top right ledger thing where all the event popups are, there are tabs for armies, cities, agents etc; you can find all those through that. It'll show icons on the map for them too.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
F is melee toggle, R is run/walk togggle

I think K L N M are hotkeys for the campaign info screens. I know this cause I remapped the Rome 2 ones to be like Shogun 2's.

I believe the , and . keys (or < and > , rather) let you scroll through the same campaign unit type. Also the ledger tabs show everything very nicely. Also you can find the keybindings in the options.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Is there a mod that gives vanilla Shogun 2 the skill trees from Fall of the Samurai? I like the way those are designed better.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I'm having weird problem with Imperial Splendour for ETW: my arty and infantry don't get some upgrades. Arty doesn't have shrapnel shot, infantry - fire by platoon. Both researched, of course. Is it because I play PLC? I saw Netherlands use fire by platoon in a a battle against me. I'd ask in TWC, but I saw some posts there and I don't want to associate with those people.

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

Hey goon TW experts, I'm a games writer. What would you ask CA devs about Total War: Warhammer if you could?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

JonBolds posted:

Hey goon TW experts, I'm a games writer. What would you ask CA devs about Total War: Warhammer if you could?

Why didn't you just call it "Total Warhammer"?

That's my only question.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

JonBolds posted:

Naval battles, are they a thing? or will it all be land based combat with early TW Agent style fleets doing the fighting?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

JonBolds posted:

Ask about research trees. Also will there be other non-cash incentives to trade with other species? Stuff like dwarven armor or elven wenches.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

JonBolds posted:

Please ask CA:
"Do you get that the strategic portion is really lacking and undermines the endless work and detail that you put into the tactical combat?"

It doesn't matter how fun the battles are if managing everything is a horrific slog that requires work and doesn't yield any meaningful differences or outcomes. Why do they persist in these designs where you have all this crap to manage during the campaign, except it's implemented in this very simplistic way that ends up being tedious instead of fun?

Shogun 2 / FOTS was the closest they came to a working strategic layer since Med 1, and then they promptly went back to form with Rome 2 and Attila.

I find it amazing that Attila is worse in some ways. If that was them doing a test run for Warhammer (and I believe it was) it sure doesn't bode well. The faction differentiation was awful, and playing in the 'bleak' world they created was just boring as hell.

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013

Rakthar posted:

Shogun 2 / FOTS was the closest they came to a working strategic layer since Med 1, and then they promptly went back to form with Rome 2 and Attila.

QFT, I never really realized how simple and pain-free the Shogun2/FoTS building stuff was until I tried playing again today. Like if I want to make money I build something that makes money. If I want troop production I build that. If I want defense I upgrade the castle.

Speaking of which I started an Ikko Ikki campaign for the first time, holy poo poo everyone hates me. Good thing they start with a mountain range blocking access their turf.

JonBolds posted:

Are you (CA) going to make the combat animations work properly?

Comedy option: Is there going to be a decent bug-testing and quality assurance process before release?

Keksen
Oct 9, 2012
TW goons, I read the OP but I'd like to hear some current opinions. Without going on too much of a tangent here, I used to love TW games to death, played the poo poo out of the first 4 or so games. Then Empire and Napoleon happened and I stopped paying attention to the series for a good while. Recently my interest for pixelmen carrying swords was rekindled and so I was looking at Shogun 2. Is it actually worth playing? The reviews are positive but so were the E:TW ones. Basically, did CA fix ridiculous poo poo like AI armies not moving at all and stuff like that? I seem to especially remember reading about that happening in siege battles.

On a side note, did they ever release the Napoleon uniform editor or at least admit they never intended to?

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Shogun 2 is arguably the best game in the entire series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I want Napoleon's gameplay with Shogun 2's AI and campaign cystotomy.