Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Aaaand now we're in another genre altogether.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Davincie posted:

ah you guys reached my fav ep

Melancholy Part 4 or Someday in the Rain?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the asakura ep

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

God these are great shots.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Oh, no! Her glasses!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Davincie posted:

the asakura ep

Nice. My favorite is the finale personally

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

God Kyon is a champ. I mean, he's freaking out a little, but I would be incoherent by this point and he's still mostly cool.

Also, is Asakura another robot?

Yes and not to spoil anything but remember this episode when we watch Disappearance. It's important

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

My favorite is on friday :D

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Spiritus Nox posted:

I'm really glad I didn't watch this is chronological order, because there's clues and visual/writing gags everywhere making it obvious that the episodes were meant to be viewed in this order, rather than being scrambled after the fact.

Definitely, the structure is extremely deliberate and I think goes above and beyond the assumption that they didn't want to have the "climax" in the 6th episode, since all of these slice of life side stories are definitely as important as the Melancholy narrative

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

asakura is so gracious in defeat

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Linnaeus posted:

My favorite is on friday :D

Live Alive?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

...Have I mentioned that this episode looks great yet? Because good God, this episode looks great.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

ooh did everyone catch the really brief 3d desk pan? god I hate that shot. rest of the episode is so gorgeous

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Zas posted:

ooh did everyone catch the really brief 3d desk pan? god I hate that shot. rest of the episode is so gorgeous

I was wondering the whole simul where the bad desk was and when I was watching this episode again it jumped out at me haha

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
This came out at around the same time the Higurashi anime did, so "transferring out" became a big meme as a result.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

ooooooh yeah

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

KYON DON'T DO IT.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

The better Asahina has arrived

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
How upset would she have gotten if Kyon had thought she was Mikuru's mom, instead?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

"Supersize me!" Oh Jesus, Kyon.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

In Training posted:

Live Alive?

Yeah

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I hate to post ahead, but since I'm watching it now: Hirano's VA in this episode is fantastic, and not just the performance, her subdued and metered manner of speech after the performance is actually pretty touching. The first time we ever see her and Kyon actually being sweet with each other, which is great as the final SoL coda before the finale

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I feel like this is some kind of riff on the whole "super young character has romantic(ish) relationship with older character but it's okay because she totally only looks 12 you guys" thing.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I love how condescending the aliens are to the time travelers

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Spiritus Nox posted:

I feel like this is some kind of riff on the whole "super young character has romantic(ish) relationship with older character but it's okay because she totally only looks 12 you guys" thing.

I dunno about that but I think Nagato being 3 instead of like 10,000 is very funny

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

And Nagato has learned to be passive agressive. Tin girl has a heart. Cute.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

The transition from Kyon and Haruhi talking to her dragging him along is really good and funny

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Zas posted:

I dunno about that but I think Nagato being 3 instead of like 10,000 is very funny

oh wait maybe that's what you're talking about, I'm out of sync

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Why would anybody willingly move to Canada? That is fishy!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Command Ant posted:

Why would anybody willingly move to Canada? That is fishy!

Love that they called that one back

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
I've been waiting for this episode. The first time I saw it my jaw just kept dropping and dropping and then holy poo poo adult Asahina-san! :swoon:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

This show is...really good. It sort of reminds me of Evangelion - not in its tone, this is obviously nowhere near as nihilistic as Eva - but in the sense that it's actively loving with the audience and playing around with the form of what it's trying to do while also indulging in and providing some really masterful execution of exactly the sort of stuff it's trying to do. Only with High School hijinks instead of Giant Robot fights.

And goddamn, the last few episodes have just been so well shot and animated, especially for a show from 2006.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
My favorite episode has always been Day of Sagittarius, but this one is still an amazing episode for so many reasons.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Spiritus Nox posted:

This show is...really good. It sort of reminds me of Evangelion - not in its tone, this is obviously nowhere near as nihilistic as Eva - but in the sense that it's actively loving with the audience and playing around with the form of what it's trying to do while also indulging in and providing some really masterful execution of exactly the sort of stuff it's trying to do. Only with High School hijinks instead of Giant Robot fights.

And goddamn, the last few episodes have just been so well shot and animated, especially for a show from 2006.

it is one of the 'big' anime together with evangelion after all :)

but yeah, the animation is that kyoan magic. unlimited talent and a huge budget

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
No time for posting during that ep. Things! Happening!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Spiritus Nox posted:

Its definitely in that tier! Obviously a completely different tone and theme but it is definitely the best Anime of the 2000s

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Someday in the Rain

I effed up the first one with some lingering frames and forgot to redo it :sweatdrop:

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

In Training posted:

I hate to post ahead, but since I'm watching it now: Hirano's VA in this episode is fantastic, and not just the performance, her subdued and metered manner of speech after the performance is actually pretty touching. The first time we ever see her and Kyon actually being sweet with each other, which is great as the final SoL coda before the finale

There are so many great scenes in both that episode and the rest of the show, but that under the tree scene is wonderful

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

:troll:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

I forgot Itsuki's VA was the crow in nichijou until he said "A quite splendid idea". so polite...

• Locked thread