Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

No way are they going to air the finale first in another country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Tyrell being Bale-as-Bateman to the point of pastiche is only made tolerable because a) his actor is really loving good? and b) they nailed little details like his horrible butchering of bonsoir

What I like about the way the show handles E Corp is that the writers have already introduced Elliot's mnemonic device of making them Evil Corp, up to and including (!) having other characters "say" it aloud, changing the logos, etc. - and what E Corp does in the specifics is likely just as subject to change, making E Corp's real purpose being "something that Elliot doesn't like." E Corp might not even be a single company or traditionally exist at all - E Corp might be Elliot being an honest-to-God millennial shut in who associates a word, phrase, whatever to mean "anything I don't like" - the way people use terms like hipster or whatever colloquially.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I respect USA's right to do whatever they want with their product. There's zero tangible downside from their perspective for postponing the episode for a week, other than people complaining on the internet who will still watch it anyways 7 days from now.

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015
So he see's every logo as the E, I like it. There is definitely a trend in pop-culture to create these faceless entities to rebel against, people like Muse who release a song decrying 'they will not destroy us', etc. without bothering to specify who they are or why they're bad. Corporations are the new 'the man' in that way, so I can see E as being a composite.

As for Tyrell, I would watch a show about him, its just strange to see him in this show. Having him directly involved with .fsociety is going to be strange. If he isn't shot I hope he ends up being a figment, a greatest-hits compilation of Elliot's expectations for a suit.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Ev posted:

I fully understand USA delaying the episode and have no issue with it and I'll watch it next week, but is the finale airing in Canada or anywhere else tonight? I have no idea what channel it's on in other countries.
Canada isn't airing Mr. Robot until September, so sorry.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.

Wake_N_Bake posted:

Try not to let any Cheetos fall out of your mouth as you defend your right to watch your show. You autistic spectrum retard.

I don't know man, I don't care about this show either way but your tantrums have been the most hysterical so far. Maybe you should smoke a bowl and chill out, provided you're still not desperately scrambling to pass that drug test.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Has this whole thing been a Mr. Robot ARG? I DON'T KNOW WHAT'S REAL ANYMORE

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

I don't know man, I don't care about this show either way but your tantrums have been the most hysterical so far. Maybe you should smoke a bowl and chill out, provided you're still not desperately scrambling to pass that drug test.

Thanks for looking up my history, glad it's more entertaining than the show.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

No Luck Needed posted:

I saw alot of yellowed SNES, NES, apples, and PCs because people use to be chain smokers

Like Mr. Robot himself?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I'm sad about Mr. Robot not airing tonight and sad people got shot irl

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also
Rewatching, censoring of "gently caress" is bothering me. On indemand or the app, that's bullshit

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Wake_N_Bake posted:

Rewatching, censoring of "gently caress" is bothering me. On indemand or the app, that's bullshit

When it mutes them, imagine they're saying "gently caress", hope this helps.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I wish more nerd beloved shows delayed their finales at the last minute, even when they didn't have a super valid tragedy-inspired reason, just to inflame n irritate more man-baby goons' pissy hemorrhoidal sensibilities

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Viginti posted:

Corporations are the new 'the man' in that way, so I can see E as being a composite.

Weren't corporations always 'the man'?

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

xcore posted:

Weren't corporations always 'the man'?

Yeah, corporations have always been part of the holy trinity of The Establishment, the other two being the government and organized religion.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Do you actually think that's what's happening here? Have you considered that maybe the network is uncomfortable with airing an episode that recalls horrific events that literally happened to actual human beings earlier today? Do you feel compassion for other human beings?

How many people do you think died today in ways that aren't natural? I wish you would postpone your posting for all of them, would make a lot of us feel better.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Stand it like a man... and give some back
I'm looking forward to a week of drive-by posters judging those that believe USA Networks is being spineless. Can't you at least express a bit of interest in the show while shaking your arthritic fingers in judgement?

If not, why not go poo poo up a nice thread in GBS or something.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Do you actually think that's what's happening here? Have you considered that maybe the network is uncomfortable with airing an episode that recalls horrific events that literally happened to actual human beings earlier today? Do you feel compassion for other human beings?

Lol yeah that was the point I was making, not the fact that television, movies and videogames quite frequently are blamed for this kind of behaviour yet its the news that plays it 500 times during prime time.

IDGAF the show is postponed, I give a poo poo that news networks perpetuate this poo poo more than any other form of media and its never questioned in the name of 'bringing you the latest'

David Mountford
Feb 16, 2012

Gordong Dongbay posted:

How many people do you think died today in ways that aren't natural? I wish you would postpone your posting for all of them, would make a lot of us feel better.

How many people do you think died today in ways that aren't natural and also have video and audio artifacts of the death and was broadcast on live television and has been a national news story since this morning?

Your comparison is without any real merit. Terrible things happen all the time, people are shot to death, cooked alive in industrial ovens, crushed by machinery, etc., but, by and large, they don't become news stories that reach scores of people across the entire country. The murders today happened on live television in a particularly shocking fashion. If the material in the episode bears enough of a similarity to the event, I don't see why you wouldn't be opposed to err on the side of sensitivity.

For contents sake, because I do legitimately love the hell outta this show: With Tyrell and Elliot/Mr. Robot/Elliot+Mr. Robot in one place, with all the cards on the table, I can't imagine it doing Elliot's mental state any good. Last week, the rational/sane aspects of his mind forced him to reject the delusion when confronted with overwhelming evidence. From the way the show framed it, too, with "Mr. Robot" climbing down into his grave as Darlene & Angela close in, I get the feeling that he feels, now that his delusion is confirmed, that he's lost a lot of his sense of control, agency. The entire expedition, to the house and to the grave yard, had him realizing what he rationally knew all along.

After Tyrell's dismissal from E-Corp, & Elliot's inability to trust own mind, both of them have a lot of action potential, especially w/ how the last episode left them together, Chekov's gun and all. Counter intuitive theory for the finale: Tyrell & Elliot do find common ground, completely gently caress E-Corp together, Tyrell gets some catharsis from watching the boss who let him go Budd Dwyer himself at a press conference (a scene that, some, at least, might find similar enough in tone to postpone the episode. If that were the case, I'd be torn.)

Another weeks wait isn't so bad with that piano version of Where Is My Mind? to fill some of the gap. Really nice way of paying homage to one of its inspirations.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I think they should have shown it with a warning and an explanation, but it's hard to say without seeing the scene.

On a crass theorising note, gonna go ahead and guess that in the finale it's Tyrell Wellick doing the shooting spree.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

VagueRant posted:

On a crass theorising note, gonna go ahead and guess that in the finale it's Tyrell Wellick doing the shooting spree.

Seems reasonable. And obviously Angela gets shot

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Aug 27, 2015

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

savinhill posted:

I wish more nerd beloved shows delayed their finales at the last minute, even when they didn't have a super valid tragedy-inspired reason, just to inflame n irritate more man-baby goons' pissy hemorrhoidal sensibilities

why

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
They fear bad PR, and feign sensitivity as cover. I'm annoyed because their lack of heart is now my lack of entertainment.

:arghfist:

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

VagueRant posted:

I think they should have shown it with a warning and an explanation, but it's hard to say without seeing the scene.

MY prediction, which I don't think needs a spoiler but just in case is that fsociety inspires a lot of other people to do things... some of which is violent. My bet is on Terry Colby getting killed by some rando activist. Tyrell is too good a character to get rid of..

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Sorry about your bad day man. On he bright side, at least you weren't gunned down on live television

Starving orphans in Africa, etc. Someone else having a worse day does not negate me having a bad one. But hey, thanks for trying. :thumbsup:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Darlene will be shot. Not Angela. The one good thing about the delay is that now we get to spin a ton of crazy off the wall predictions that are rooted solely on the fact that someone is definitely shooting someone else in the last episode.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Saw someone suggest it might be Elliot shooting us, his invisible friend, like how he shook the camera after the Darlene twist.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
I don't mind the delay, as it has given me the opportunity to turn a few more friends onto the show, and now they have time to binge and catch up.

Edit: also, maybe it's crass to make this deduction, but USA only benefits from the delay. People who were going to watch it will watch it, and they may get a few new eyeballs from the headlines about being delayed for similarities to the Roanoke shooting.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

VagueRant posted:

Saw someone suggest it might be Elliot shooting us, his invisible friend, like how he shook the camera after the Darlene twist.

This could be very interesting. Maybe next season we'll see things through another perspective then.

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

What if the crazed shooter saw the episode early, and purposely conducted a shooting to coincide with the release of the finale! Life imitates art imitates life... :tinfoil:

(Seriously though...I was excited to watch it, saw that it was postponed, said oh that sucks, guess I will watch it next week, and moved on...)

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

metavisual posted:

What if the crazed shooter saw the episode early, and purposely conducted a shooting to coincide with the release of the finale! Life imitates art imitates life... :tinfoil:

I seriously doubt that. Downloading TV shows before they're aired is illegal, after all.

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY
The Terrorists have won!

Seriously tho, I don't want to wait, but there arn't any alternatives.

Also screw that guy for a. shooting those people b. posting a video of him doing it to twitter and to a lesser extent c. making me wait for my tv show

Ev
Aug 3, 2006

Sober posted:

Canada isn't airing Mr. Robot until September, so sorry.

Fair enough. I only asked because I work in TV (though not on anything as cool as Mr Robot) and I've seen international air dates interfere with US ones, depending on the contract the international network has and I don't even know what channel Mr Robot will air on in Canada, or anywhere else for that matter.

Edit: Just to emphasize, I couldn't care less about having to wait a week for the episode because of the shooting. I used to live in the Roanoke area, though I've never been to where it happened, but the most important thing is closure for the people affected by it.

Ev fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Aug 27, 2015

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
So which characters could possible die in an interview? Has to be Colby.

Ev
Aug 3, 2006

wukkar posted:

Or the new CTO with Tyrrel pulling the trigger?

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

wukkar posted:

I was thinking if it is TOO similar maybe someone will shoot Elliot while he's talking to someone and then us(the camera).

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

wukkar posted:

I doubt it's the interview thing that made it too similar, it's the sight of a white blonde woman being shot

Waynebo
May 18, 2004

Look at that subtle off-white coloring.
The tasteful thickness of it.
Oh my god. It even has a watermark.
Elliot shoots himself in the mouth a la Fight Club and everyone in F society disappears except for the girl who wears a hijab and she goes what the gently caress and then pulls off her face and it's tyrell gideon goddard

Waynebo fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Aug 27, 2015

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Mr. Robot finale attracts an enormous number of viewers after the delay receives media attention, no scenes remotely resemble the Virginia shooting.

USA Network: :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

Who and how has already been described loosely: An as yet unseen character kills himself on TV Bud Dwyer style.

• Locked thread