Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Lets Pickle posted:

That spoiled Gideon looks obvious and bland enough to be real.

The only real problem with that one is that the Ult was pretty parasitic. Wiping colorless nonlands is probably only really going to be a thing in Khans-BFZ Standard with Morph/Manifest and Eldrazi all over the place.

Unless they want to go back to Mirrodin New Phyrexia immediately after this and give us a ton of Artifacts. Maybe they'd do Kaladesh instead? Going back to Mirrodin New Phyrexia implies wrapping up the goings on there and that might seem a bit rushed if it's hot off the heels of solving Zendikar's rampant Cthulhu problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
The best thing I have ever done with Chamale's original version of Mr Toad's Wild Ride (Which I entered into a legacy tournament as The $20 Special and contained a City of Brass instead of a Cavern of Souls) was taking a game off a Doomsday player when they Gitaxian Probed my hand, saw nothing, went off, tried to cast their first spell post-Doomsday, and I cycled for a Miscalculation.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I feel an obligatory need to actually build Mr. Toad's Wild Ride and bring it to my LGS's Legacy event once. Just once.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
It's too bad Lightning Rift has that extra clause in it.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
This is only funny to because of what obviously prompted it

C'mon, just admit WOTC retconned Nissa being Elf Hitler because it made her unmarketable.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Aug 26, 2015

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't know why they can't just admit WOTC retconned Nissa being Elf Hitler because it made her unmarketable.

I feel like they wanted a marquee character for each color and Garruk comes off as kind of a boring brute.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
When was Nissa elf-hitler? Is there some old Zendikar-era Forgotten Realms article where she calls everyone Eyeblights? Or was it still novels back then?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Angry Grimace posted:

C'mon, just admit WOTC retconned Nissa being Elf Hitler because it made her unmarketable.

WOTC seems to be incredibly bad at planning even into the near future.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Angry Grimace posted:

The worst part about the retcon is that they already made her more marketable with her M15 story where after the Eldrazi get released and start wrecking up the place she realizes that being a huge racist is bad and starts drawing power from the land itself instead of ALL ELFS ALL THE TIME.

Retconning her backstory away kinda undermines most of that story too. Since she's now supposed to learn the whole "racism is bad" thing when she ends up on Lorwyn. :v:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

qbert posted:

I feel like they wanted a marquee character for each color and Garruk comes off as kind of a boring brute.

A boring generic elf is much better.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Cernunnos posted:

The only real problem with that one is that the Ult was pretty parasitic. Wiping colorless nonlands is probably only really going to be a thing in Khans-BFZ Standard with Morph/Manifest and Eldrazi all over the place.

Unless they want to go back to Mirrodin New Phyrexia immediately after this and give us a ton of Artifacts. Maybe they'd do Kaladesh instead? Going back to Mirrodin New Phyrexia implies wrapping up the goings on there and that might seem a bit rushed if it's hot off the heels of solving Zendikar's rampant Cthulhu problem.

I totally want to see Phyrexia vs Eldrazi in the Battle of the Baddies, that would be awesome.

Some sort of AvP whoever wins, we lose kind of thing. Gideon gets compleated because he sees it as the only way to go toe to toe against the Eldrazi, becomes a corrupt white extreme order badguy for the next arc, rendering entire planes barren for harboring abberations against his grand order, etc, Jace dies having been finally undone by his smugness, Nissa dies because who gives a gently caress, Chandra and Liliana team up as a rebellious / individualized chaotic band of rebels planeswalking to build an arsenal and team of outcasts and weirdos whose very existence confounds the supreme order.

Basically Weatherlight2 but lead by people who aren't fighting for the good of everyone but rather for the survival of individualism.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Entropic posted:

When was Nissa elf-hitler? Is there some old Zendikar-era Forgotten Realms article where she calls everyone Eyeblights? Or was it still novels back then?

Her initial character was "Planeswalked to Lorwyn well before Eldrazi, met the rear end in a top hat elves, thought 'Cool' went back to zendikar and spread that philosophy."
In her initial duels of the planeswalker game, despite zendikar being out, most of her cards were lorwyn elves, not zendikar elves. She was also Gb in that game, tying her further towards liking the lorwyn thoughtstyle.
She also tended to be more cruel and/or sinister in her flavor text. e.g.
Nissa's Chosen "Nissa will save the elves, but only the ones who have proved their worth."
Tangle Sap "The blood of the forest is beholden to no one."
Also, her original card was super elf focused, and did not mention lands at all. She went from being The Elf, to being the Geomancer. (Or animist I guess? she makes lands and forests fight)

I agree with her being an elf supremacist being unmarketable, being the reason for the change. Also, Garruk is a big feral dude, meaning he takes roughly the same spot as Gideon, but without the Rugged Good Looks or Shining Armor appeals.

Jace is the pretty boy/lovable nerd, Chandra is the freespirited, spontaneous romantic, Liliana is the tough, driven Vampy type, and Nissa is the one with any sort of sense or kindness.

And they're All to a name idiots, but that's besides the point.

Gensuki fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Aug 26, 2015

deftest
May 7, 2011
Magic online is back, but I can't join any drafts : (. Getting a "The event could not be joined because the server did not respond in time. Please try again" message

But I'm watching the queues fill up with other people :negative:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

qbert posted:

My guess is that they wanted an Elf Planeswalker (since Elves are the most generic green humanoids ever) and didn't think they should just make a different Elf, so they said "she's not racist now guys!"

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Andrast posted:

A boring generic elf is much better.

Nissa is on the same level of boring as Jace, Chandra, Gideon, and Lili I guess.

Nissa really seemed for a long time like another one-off planeswalker, and then suddenly she gets two new versions in the last year. Clearly WOTC wanted to deliberately move her to the forefront.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

deftest posted:

Magic online is back, but I can't join any drafts : (. Getting a "The event could not be joined because the server did not respond in time. Please try again" message

Apparently a lot of people are having issues with joining events and their collections. I added 17 tix to my trade binder to trade to bots to finish a deck, and the bots can't see the tix. Now I tried to remove them and re-add them to see if it did anything and it says "please log in to adjust any binders." I am logged in, modo, thanks.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
A co-worker just won a PPTQ in Standard with this deck and it makes Standard look like fun:

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/11-08-15-NPk-br-dragons/

Anyone have any recommendations for similar deck types for Modern? I'm assuming he'd want to play Jund/Abzan.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

:modo:

I tried to enter a 2-man queue with some MODO FUN MONEY to test out a new version of 5 Color Dragonlords and nothing happened for some unknown stupid MODO reason when I tried to enter a couple times, so I backed out and went back to actually working.

Sitting there working with it still running in the background and Two separate events randomly fire 20 minutes later but opponents have logged off long ago, so I get free wins and extra MODO FUN MONEY. Maybe don't turn the game back on until it works dummies.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Aug 26, 2015

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Maybe...don't turn MODO on at all

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

deftest posted:

It will fire, just 30 minutes from now, not kidding.

Just playing the Practice Room now, sigh. The room where players immediately concede the entire match on Game 1 because they have lethal on board and the Ugin I've been holding all game wiped their Ascendancy, Rabblemaster and 5 tokens. :sigh:

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Aug 26, 2015

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

TheKingofSprings posted:

Maybe...don't turn MODO on at all

:agreed:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Sigma-X posted:

A co-worker just won a PPTQ in Standard with this deck and it makes Standard look like fun:

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/11-08-15-NPk-br-dragons/

Anyone have any recommendations for similar deck types for Modern? I'm assuming he'd want to play Jund/Abzan.

Piledriver and Rabblemaster but no other goblins? Not even Dragon Fodder or Hordeling Outburst?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Entropic posted:

Piledriver and Rabblemaster but no other goblins? Not even Dragon Fodder or Hordeling Outburst?

It would be funny to see a R/b deck that can sideboard between Goblin tribal and Dragon tribal with the linking cards being Whip of Erebos, Goblin Rabblemaster, and Thunderbreak Regent.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Entropic posted:

Piledriver is such an efficient attacker even with just a Rabblemaster in play that I don't think you need to play subpar cards just to make him work. If you curve out Piledriver -> Rabblemaster you are swinging for 4 on turn 3 and 13 on turn 4.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Entropic posted:

I have no idea. I didn't even realize he played competitively until he came to me asking what I knew about modern because he just qualified for the RPTQ with that list.

I agree it seems weird but tokens aren't what the deck wants, obviously, and rabblemaster is fine on his own. The piledriver just combos absurdly with it for hyper-aggressive beats, basically being a tarmogoyf++ when you sequence them and otherwise just being a mediocre chump when you don't. I'd imagine in the times where he isn't swinging for ridiculous on turn 3/4 the deck is buying time to drop a dragon.

He 7-0-2'd into T8 into winning the thing so clearly he knows what he's doing (and I have no idea about standard at all, haven't played it since DKA).

It seems like you could potentially port something like this to Modern but honestly Jund/k are both just better versions of this, right?

Whip seems like it would be ridiculous in a modern deck that had better value creatures than Jund runs, though.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Entropic posted:

I like Thunderbreak with Whip, the economy of targeting one when it has Lifelink is much worse.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

If you play the fluctuator deck in paper you have to do unsleeved and you need to bend the poo poo out of them while you shuffle.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

eSporks posted:

If you play the fluctuator deck in paper you have to do unsleeved and you need to bend the poo poo out of them while you shuffle.

Well yeah if I bought a pack of dragonshields it's be the $30 Special

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

FYI: MTGO is doing automatic reimbursements for that gently caress-up earlier today so don't bother sending in reimbursement requests for it.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
So for the From the Vault cards. Is it better to leave them in their own packaging or should I take them out, double sleeve them, and put them in a tight box so they stop curling?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Thisuck posted:

So for the From the Vault cards. Is it better to leave them in their own packaging or should I take them out, double sleeve them, and put them in a tight box so they stop curling?

They're going to look like pringles no matter what.

The best thing to do is double sleeve them while playing, because that provides more rigidity and thickness, and you can try various flattening methods / put them in rice to suck the moisture out (curling happens because the foil material doesn't absorb moisture the way the paper does and so the paper expands slightly, and the FTV foils are super thick foil so they're worse).

The real solution is foil the whole deck because then it gets a nice pringly curve to the whole thing and feels good in your hand.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

I meant the supposed abilities/casting cost/loyalty

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Sigma-X posted:

They're going to look like pringles no matter what.

The best thing to do is double sleeve them while playing, because that provides more rigidity and thickness, and you can try various flattening methods / put them in rice to suck the moisture out (curling happens because the foil material doesn't absorb moisture the way the paper does and so the paper expands slightly, and the FTV foils are super thick foil so they're worse).

The real solution is foil the whole deck because then it gets a nice pringly curve to the whole thing and feels good in your hand.

If you immediately double sleeve and never take them out, FTV cards should not bend at all. This is because, when done right, you're locking them away from air and moisture completely.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Pussy Snorkel posted:

If you immediately double sleeve and never take them out, FTV cards should not bend at all. This is because, when done right, you're locking them away from air and moisture completely.

But what if I wanted to keep it in the packaging forever?!

No Friend of Gravity
Feb 24, 2006

Instead of using rice you can also use a silica gel packet (go find a shoebox, there's one in there). They work very well for what they do.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
Ah, thanks a lot guys, I have a ton of those silica packets from all the hard drives we buy at work haha.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Lookit these chumps, not quadruple sleeving their decks.

GlennFinito
Oct 15, 2013
lol if you don't incase your cards in boxes of plastic

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Put every card in a toploader. Click click click click click those cards in your hand. Win games of Magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Angry Grimace posted:

Also, your chances of winning a match are about 10% better if you win the die roll (in Standard). Play less taplands, I guess.

People thought I was joking about my advice on how to beat ____ archetype literally being "win the die roll." Its more significant with the past few years of design than at any point I remember in MTG history.

• Locked thread