Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

jownzy posted:

Driving around in my Mutsuki... which sucks...

But to cap it off, I put 3 torps into a Nicholas and it didn't die. This was from about 4.5km away. He confirmed three hit him. How is this possible?

I'm running the 16k+ damage upgraded torps. He had 1,000 health left.

Ships take reduced damage based on which section of the ship is hit, and how hosed up that section of the ship already is. The more hosed up, the less damage it takes, basically.

edit: watching two Mutsuki's gun duel eachother is like watching a cripple fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Lord Koth posted:

The problem with fires seems primarily to be that the listed values of fire chance is wildly wrong as far as I can tell. Like most destroyers have a listed 10% fire chance on their guns, but I'm getting set on fire way more than once every 10 shots on average. And that's not even counting the fact that I'm generally running both the skill and the module that reduce said fire chance, which theoretically means that a destroyer shouldn't even BE able to set me on fire if Wargaming is actually listing the correct numbers. Hell, even if the module/skill are deceptive, and it's really just reducing by a multiplicative amount, rather than subtractive, you're still back at the initial problem of getting set on fire way more than 1 in 10. This is probably what enrages me about the way fire is in the game over CVs. Carriers at least are something I can see and take direct action to counter, as opposed to pure RNG where WG is lying through their teeth as to the actual numbers to me.

Honestly I think multiple fires start chunking health way too fast as well, but it's really the frequency that bugs me. As well as how often your engine/rudder is knocked out, regardless of where the shell actually hits you.

99% sure that the listed fire chance reductions are multiplicative not additive.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Astroniomix posted:

99% sure that the listed fire chance reductions are multiplicative not additive.

I think you are correct, though I don't think I've seen anything official one way or another. Still doesn't change the issue that I'm fairly sure I'm getting set on fire more than 9% of the time though.

sdr782
Jun 7, 2005

"I said it was dodgeball time, bitch."
How exactly does the research system work in this game? I have researched the first two US Cruisers and have used the St. Louis for a long time but I still cannot unlock the first US destroyer despite having way more than 900 xp?

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

sdr782 posted:

How exactly does the research system work in this game? I have researched the first two US Cruisers and have used the St. Louis for a long time but I still cannot unlock the first US destroyer despite having way more than 900 xp?

You have to have the required experience with the right ship. That is to say, experience is locked to the ship its earned on. I think that means you'll need to go back to tier 1 but I don't have the tech tree in front of me so just go take a look where the first destroyer branches off from.

sdr782
Jun 7, 2005

"I said it was dodgeball time, bitch."

TheDemon posted:

You have to have the required experience with the right ship. That is to say, experience is locked to the ship its earned on. I think that means you'll need to go back to tier 1 but I don't have the tech tree in front of me so just go take a look where the first destroyer branches off from.

Ah ok, so I need to buy the tier 2 US Cruiser and use it to get the XP to unlock destroyers?

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Yes, or if you have enough free exp saved up you can use that.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Hi all. Just started playing this the other day. Just about to branch into battleships. So I'm guessing that with all the promotional stuff going on about Yamato, it can't be anything but crap, right?

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Tirranek posted:

Hi all. Just started playing this the other day. Just about to branch into battleships. So I'm guessing that with all the promotional stuff going on about Yamato, it can't be anything but crap, right?

The Yamato itself is good, but have fun getting to it.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Tirranek posted:

It's allegedly better than Montana. The fun hidden surprise on that line is that, until you unlock the second hull, the Izumo guns apparently have godawful AP penetration.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Astroniomix posted:

The Yamato itself is good, but have fun getting to it.

Izumo is the major problem right? I thought the Amagi and lower were all pretty good?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Razzled posted:

Izumo is the major problem right? I thought the Amagi and lower were all pretty good?

Well except for the Kawachi/Myogi.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

wdarkk posted:

Kawachi is playable I find since at that tier newer players are much more abundant and getting into 10KM isn't that hard. Myogi is utter shite though, yeah

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Razzled posted:

Kawachi is playable I find since at that tier newer players are much more abundant and getting into 10KM isn't that hard. Myogi is utter shite though, yeah

Weirdly, I got stockholm syndrome for the Myogi eventually and started to like it. The same thing's happening for the Furutaka, though, so I think there's just something wrong with me.

The Myogi does teach you how you ought to use the Kongo once you get it, though. Use the speed, close distance, shoot citadels.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

wdarkk posted:

Just about to get the Kawachi. What's the main issue with it?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Tirranek posted:

Mainly that it tops out at about 20 knots and can only shoot out to about 11 km

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Tirranek posted:

It handles like a bath tub piloted by a drunken Italian Cruise ship captain and the guns are worse.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Ah one of those. That's too bad. Strangely the ship I've been doing the best in has been the starter ship. All other ones take about 5 games before I don't completely suck in them.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Razzled posted:

It's good once you hit the kongo at tier 5, and doesn't become painful until tier 9 when you have to contend with what stats are showing might actually be the worst ship in the game atm.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Razzled posted:

Mainly that it tops out at about 20 knots and can only shoot out to about 11 km

That's the South Carolina. Kawachi doesn't even break 10 km.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
At least the Kawachi has those side mounted guns, so if you get close to people, you can put guns on things all around you. The Myogi eventually gets alright, but it has such a gun disadvantage compared to everything else that its hard to make it work. Wyoming might have smaller guns, but it has 3 more turrets to put shells out with. Also the Myogi has that giant stupid flat deck in the middle that attracts AP rounds.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Astroniomix posted:

It's good once you hit the kongo at tier 5, and doesn't become painful until tier 9 when you have to contend with what stats are showing might actually be the worst ship in the game atm.

If the Izumo stock hull is as bad as claimed, the fully upgraded ship might not be irredeemable. The horrible average stats might be from people playing the stock hull. I've never played it though.

Kawachi is a perfectly decent ship, that unfortunately has 9.8 km range without particularly good accuracy. It's relatively painless if matchmaking is polite, otherwise you just have to hope some enemy DDs come into your range and let you shoot them with HE.

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Aug 27, 2015

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

jownzy posted:

Driving around in my Mutsuki... which sucks...

But to cap it off, I put 3 torps into a Nicholas and it didn't die. This was from about 4.5km away. He confirmed three hit him. How is this possible?

I'm running the 16k+ damage upgraded torps. He had 1,000 health left.

Ships have pools of HP for each section of the ship, being the Bow, Stern, Midsection, and Superstructure. When a part of the ship has its HP depleted a bit, it starts taking reduced damage. When it runs out completely, damage to that section can no longer occur, barring some guaranteed damage events (Citadel hits, torpedo hits to the midsection, fire/flooding, module damage, and ramming). Its rare that ship will survive running out of HP in a section (as a pool can take damage up to 70-80% of a ship's HP each), barring extreme events, such as heavy torpedo damage to one section. This is most noticeable on destroyers. The Iowa is currently infamous for its bugged superstructure HP pool, making damage dealt to it cap out very quickly.

What likely happened is the torpedoes you launched hit either the bow or stern, and that area was completely drained of HP. Since the section could take no more damage, the torpedoes did no damage, despite getting hits. Torpedo hits to the midsection of a ship always deal damage (equivalent to its base damage divided by the ship's torpedo belt defense). You could still inflict flooding, though.

Hazdoc fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Aug 27, 2015

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
gently caress pubbies can be frustrating. 6 straight losses in my Aoba trying to get the daily win. Last match, I had 3 kills. The only 3 kills our entire team had.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Christ, MM was even worse than normal tonight. Multiple matches straight where one side got both CV advantage - sometimes in numbers, sometimes in tier - AND loving AA advantage. Because giving one side almost pure high tier US cruisers and the other a mishmash of IJN ones sure makes sense. That's not even counting the match where one side got mostly Omahas for their cruisers and the other side got four Clevelands and an Atlanta. And no, divisions were not involved.

How loving hard is it to balance a MM? Because poo poo like this doesn't encourage me to spend money, it just tempts me to say "gently caress this poo poo!" and quit. It's an insane business model.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Lord Koth posted:

Christ, MM was even worse than normal tonight. Multiple matches straight where one side got both CV advantage - sometimes in numbers, sometimes in tier - AND loving AA advantage. Because giving one side almost pure high tier US cruisers and the other a mishmash of IJN ones sure makes sense. That's not even counting the match where one side got mostly Omahas for their cruisers and the other side got four Clevelands and an Atlanta. And no, divisions were not involved.

How loving hard is it to balance a MM? Because poo poo like this doesn't encourage me to spend money, it just tempts me to say "gently caress this poo poo!" and quit. It's an insane business model.

Supposedly the upcoming patch will address the MM RE: CVs better. We'll see.

Ranked mode will only be Tiers 6/7 too, I think, which could also be a good alternative.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I wonder why the range is so high on the MM when there are only 10 tiers. I mean, in War Thunder, there's a +1/-1 BR spread but their BRs go up to like 8 or 9 and are measured in .3s. Getting dumped into a mostly-tier-7-and-8 match in a Kongo isn't the most fun in the world.

Until you wreck some faces and prove that any BB will do if an idiot presents his flat side at 5km. :black101:

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Night10194 posted:

I wonder why the range is so high on the MM when there are only 10 tiers. I mean, in War Thunder, there's a +1/-1 BR spread but their BRs go up to like 8 or 9 and are measured in .3s. Getting dumped into a mostly-tier-7-and-8 match in a Kongo isn't the most fun in the world.

Until you wreck some faces and prove that any BB will do if an idiot presents his flat side at 5km. :black101:

Once you break past T6, most ships can handle the tier differences decently. The only exception are CVs, as the fighter mismatch is pretty enormous, and a lower tiered CV will suffer greatly from stronger AA coverage on cruisers. The patch should fix it, maybe. Most cruisers after T6 play very similar and can all citadel each other, with the biggest differences being HP, AA strength, and torpedoes. The Fuso/New Mexico can pen just about anything in the game, so only T5 and lesser BBs suffer from big disparities, as they're not potent, accurate, or have enough range to deal with high tier cruisers.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Lord Koth posted:

It's an insane business model.

Seems to be more like a business model for insane people.

Saw comments on the official site talking about spending £30-£40 pounds on the upcomng Tirpitz like it was a normal thing.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

If it was like 5 bucks I'd buy a Murmansk, maybe. But the Atlanta is 50 bucks. For that, I'd just buy another game. Everything feels like it's ridiculously expensive if you intend to kick in real money and the game just isn't worth cash.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

One thing I think would be sorta cool is the option to choose between different names for ships of the same class, ie the North Carolina could be as is, or could be the BB56 Washington. Obviously you'd get a shitload more options with stuff like the American destroyers where there were literally hundreds of a class like the Fletchers.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

TehKeen posted:

One thing I think would be sorta cool is the option to choose between different names for ships of the same class, ie the North Carolina could be as is, or could be the BB56 Washington. Obviously you'd get a shitload more options with stuff like the American destroyers where there were literally hundreds of a class like the Fletchers.

And weren't there more Fletchers alone than the IJN had Destroyers ever?

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Night10194 posted:

If it was like 5 bucks I'd buy a Murmansk, maybe. But the Atlanta is 50 bucks. For that, I'd just buy another game. Everything feels like it's ridiculously expensive if you intend to kick in real money and the game just isn't worth cash.

Pretty much same for me. I'd like a premium ship that isnt the free Murmansk that I got but dropping $40+ on a ship is just too much for me, I'd buy them if they were at $20. I would really love to have the Tirpitz but I'm sure its going to sit at $40 when it does come out. If anyone is going to PAX and they happen to hand out codes for a Tirpitz, if you hooked me up with a code for one I'll be your bestest friend forever.

TehKeen posted:

Would be a cool idea but I can only imagine how much of a pain it will be trying to remember which name goes with which class. Also I'm sure somewhere down the line they will add the other ships in new branches to pad things out with slightly different stats to justify it.

I spent far too long looking through my replays to find one in the Iowa where I citadeled another Iowa from the front. While grinding credits in my New Mexico with some other goons I pissed off a guy in an Iowa by laughing at the fact he loaded HE to try and kill me when I was facing him. He really didnt believe me when I told him about it. Hell he didnt even believe I had an Iowa, because in his words "If you have an Iowa why arent you playing it?" Apparently you're only allowed to play your highest tier ship in that line or you're a noob.

I watched the 10 or so from Ice Islands which I could have sworn was where it happened but couldnt find it, so now I'm starting to think I dreamed it all up. Only 50 some replays to go though since I know it didnt happen in the last day or 2 I can ignore those.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Aug 27, 2015

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

Seriously gently caress pubbies.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Groggy nard posted:

And weren't there more Fletchers alone than the IJN had Destroyers ever?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_production_during_World_War_II

At least according to Wikipedia the USA produced more Carriers than the Japanese produced ships.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Goddammit the Wyoming grind is miserable. I finally unlocked the hull and GFCS mods making it a notch above terrible but gently caress me it's like firing a shotgun at point blank missing everything in front of you. Never mind trying to fire at a distance because its all over the place.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

demonR6 posted:

Goddammit the Wyoming grind is miserable. I finally unlocked the hull and GFCS mods making it a notch above terrible but gently caress me it's like firing a shotgun at point blank missing everything in front of you. Never mind trying to fire at a distance because its all over the place.

You have no idea what's in store for you just 3 tiers away.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Thank you for crushing my dreams.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Xae posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_production_during_World_War_II

At least according to Wikipedia the USA produced more Carriers than the Japanese produced ships.

It's crazy to think any one nation produced over a hundred air craft carriers, especially since there's what, less than 20 in the world today?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

demonR6 posted:

Thank you for crushing my dreams.

It gets better. I have won 3 out of 16 matches in my NC, and lost credits every time I've died.