Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Don't ban melee weapons but also don't hold onto them forever because you're afraid of losing ammo. Don't use a wrench past sewers, probably don't use a shovel past scrapyard unless you have scarier face. Energy sword/hammer are dope always with long arms/laser brain(which makes them hit twice).

The problems I see for most people outside of just their ability to react to a situation are either that they play too recklessly and run out into areas they should be more careful around, or too conservatively and don't spam, take weak weapons only for ammo concerns, etc. So I guess it depends on what's getting you killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
What's the math on Scarier Face for looping? Does it apply the loop max HP bonuses then reduce that by 10%, or will the 10% reduction basically be gone after a loop or two?

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
shovel is amazing for ice and lab with trigger fingers. but yes, no wrench past sewers.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you can take wrench to big dog to deflect big holes in his patterns, but don't count on using it as a weapon at all during scrapyard

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Actually, dual wrench Steroids with Long Arms and Trigger Fingers turned me into a constant wall of death all the way to the labs.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Geight posted:

What's the math on Scarier Face for looping? Does it apply the loop max HP bonuses then reduce that by 10%, or will the 10% reduction basically be gone after a loop or two?
before loop, enemies have -10% HP
1st loop, enemies have normal HP
2nd loop, enemies have +10% HP
etc.

as opposed to +10% first loop, +20% second loop etc. basically you set the loop bonus back one

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Went double wrench with steroids once, alternating swings. It was pretty great but not viable :haw: one day I'll conan my rear end through at least the main game!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Steroids + Jackhammers + a way to regain health quickly = death to all who oppose you

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Dual jackhammers with Steroids is exactly the same as Steroids with one jackhammer, except it eats up ammo twice as fast. It's the same reason that swinging two melee weapons at the exact same time does no extra damage, or how Y.V's right click is worthless with melee-they can only hitreg one at a time, and there's an interval before they can do it again.

The jackhammer actually already attacks 12 times per burst, but a single enemy can only be hit three times per burst because of the delay before they can be hit again. Two jackhammers at once will attack 24 times per burst, but still only hit three times.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
poo poo

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

that's hosed up

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Flak Cannon + Shotgun Shoulders is basically cheating. You should try it if you can.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

They made it so you can fire more than once per frame so maybe in the future they'll make it so enemies can take damage more frequently too

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Reiley posted:

Flak Cannon + Shotgun Shoulders is basically cheating. You should try it if you can.

Flak cannon always felt like a large chunk of hurt never go where you want it.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I usually just shoot people with the ball and its like a bonus slugger, it's one of my favorite shell weapons. It's ludicrous with Shotgun Shoulders on the frozen city.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It's ok but I prefer flame shotguns, eraser, and all the lategame shell weapons like auto shotty gatling slugger super slugger etc.

super flak cannon, on the other hand, is good basically forever into loop w/trigger fingers

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

IronicDongz posted:

before loop, enemies have -10% HP
1st loop, enemies have normal HP
2nd loop, enemies have +10% HP
etc.

as opposed to +10% first loop, +20% second loop etc. basically you set the loop bonus back one

The NT wiki says scarier face gives -20% HP. Is this not the case anymore? If not, then it'd be:

Pre-loop: Enemies have 80% HP
Loop 1: 90%
Loop 2: 100% (pre-loop levels)
Loop 3: 110%, and so on.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

The NT wiki is basically always accurate, so yeah go with 20%

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Just looped on hard mode with steroids, made it all the way to the chief, and then killed myself on a shielder mid fight on accident.

loving shielders

protip: crown of curses can take a lot of the pain out of hardmode if you can survive the initial panic. Also crossbows with bolt marrow are loving great for it

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
https://youtu.be/nxUSrUIRJsk?t=22m45s

:cripes:

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

I notice it was the truck that really started things though; this is what I keep thinking of ever since they became a thing.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

:toot:

Again, it won't last, but I have a decent shot at being in the top 5 today, or at least the top 10.

Vans are really fun once you get deep in, you have good weapons, and they're coming 2+ at a time. Sometimes they spawn horizontal from each other, crash into each other, and both die instantly.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

IronicDongz posted:

:toot:

Again, it won't last, but I have a decent shot at being in the top 5 today, or at least the top 10.

Vans are really fun once you get deep in, you have good weapons, and they're coming 2+ at a time. Sometimes they spawn horizontal from each other, crash into each other, and both die instantly.

what website is that?

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.

Mr. Despair posted:

what website is that?

https://thronebutt.com/

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
holy poo poo I actually was only beaten by one dude by 556 kills :aaaaa:

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005
Nice!

Meanwhile an elite shielder plasma'ed me to death on the first loop :(

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Update #88 - Tweak Tweak, Fix Fix - Weekend of August 28th

quote:

For the last 88 (!!!) updates our double digit updates have been huge, but you can tell we're moving towards completing this game - there's mostly little things left, and we can't do 'big things' without getting all of those 'little things' our of the way. In other words, it was fixing, tweaking, balancing, and the introduction of a new elite enemy. Enjoy!

Features
-New elite enemy in the sewers.

Balancing
-Slightly more bullet ammo per drop.
-Alligators now wait for a bit before firing.
-Less HP drops and less rads in Hard mode.
-Splinters are now more effective with Bolt Marrow.
-Ultra crossbow now has a higher rate of fire.
-Less "last enemy is a turret somewhere far away" situations.

Fixes
-The unlock screen now works with gamepad too.
-Stopped some things from spawning very close to the player. Few more tweaks to these things.
-Removed bandits from a certain area.
-Removed IDPD from a certain area.
-Loop portal is now green again.
-Fixed a tutorial crash.
-Some changes to the Chicken Sword.
-You can no longer take crowns to the tutorial.
-Fixed a bug caused by pressing arrow keys in the stat/character select screen.
-Fixed a bug related to toxic gas.
-You should be able to swap your loadout weapons again.
-Fixed a boss intro crash.

Misc
-Unlock screen now has a darker background.
-Removed the random crown option for now.
-Toxic Gas now glows properly.
-Updated the Crown Vault art.

PAX is going exceptionally well, and we're amazed at how many of you have dropped by the booth to tell of your favorite Nuclear Throne deaths, kills and stories. Also thanks to those of you who brought fan-art, drawings, friends, or Coca Cola for Rami and thanks to those cosplaying our characters at PAX! One more day!

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

CJacobs posted:

Update #88 - Tweak Tweak, Fix Fix - Weekend of August 28th

PAX is going exceptionally well, and we're amazed at how many of you have dropped by the booth to tell of your favorite Nuclear Throne deaths, kills and stories. Also thanks to those of you who brought fan-art, drawings, friends, or Coca Cola for Rami and thanks to those cosplaying our characters at PAX! One more day!

You know, that's gotta be a mindfuck for an artist. Do some fun character designs for a game you're working on - attend convention, and then....

"...wait, are they dressed like my loving drawings?"

I can't even imagine how awesome that must feel.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
So. Have you guys heard about The secret characters, Frog and Skeleton?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

poo poo

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

with trigger fingers that doens't look so bad

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I got out but it seriously took like 4 minutes of juking around that because the seekers kept hitting the walls

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
a tale in two pictures

:downsgun:

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.
Not worth it without Ultra B AND Back Muscle lol

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Yeah, but with those things you can trivialize multiple crown of blood loops & get an easy top 5 on the scoreboard at least

I'd be taking ultra B anyways it's so much more fun than ultra A lmao

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
code:
Error in 
action number 1
of Create Event 
for object UberCont: 
real conversion results in loss of data 
at gml_Object_UberCont_Create_0 
Anyone else actually able to play the game today?

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 2, 2015

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

Vlambeer posted:

Big, experimental changes incoming! We've finally started moving loops away from "random chaos, good luck", and are heading towards a more curated approach. Loops now simply have different, harder enemy spawns, yet still a good load of messiness to them. We hope this poses more interesting, specific challenges while also upping the difficulty more consistently. We've also worked a lot on the two bosses that needed it most: the Technomancer and Throne II. We're super curious to find out what y'all think about these changes, and how far, or not far, loops will take everyone now!

We've also upgraded Steroids' B-skin, done a whole load of balancing, and toned down the universally beloved and critically acclaimed Van Spawns a tiny bit. You'll get about 300 more milliseconds to respond to them, and they'll try to no longer ram right into each other on spawn.

Either way, we think it's loads of good stuff. Please dive in and send us all the feedback you've got!

Features
Changes to the 0-1 fight.
Changes to the Labs loop boss.
Loop enemy overhaul.
Updated Steroids B skin.

Balancing
Hard mode weapon drops now progress three times slower. Sorry.
Hyper Slugger rate of fire has been decreased a bit.
Hyper Launcher rate of fire has been increased.
Chicken's Harder To Kill gives you a bit less time per kill.
Flames now have more stopping power.
Turrets should now break walls they spawn on.
Super Bazooka spawns a tiny bit later.
Fish speed with Throne Butt has been increased.
Vans spawn slightly slower now and one by one.
Vans now deal 20 damage instead of 50.
The big green projectiles now explode into one less bullet stream.

Fixes
You can no longer spawn craters outside the level in 0-1.
Props are no longer randomized on loops.

Misc
More tech changes to the Chicken Sword, now properly.
Fixed an issue with Rebel's big art for the menu.
IDPD projectiles have been updated for readability.
Strong Spirit halo has been updated for readability.
Updated Ultra HUD icons.
Fixed some phrasing in the tip.

Enjoy!

aw yiss

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

quote:

aw :(
I loved vans crashing into each other and instantly dying.

e:looping is horrifying now

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Sep 6, 2015

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005

IronicDongz posted:

e:looping is horrifying now

I know, right? It owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

quote:

So it'll no longer kill you INCREDIBLY hard if it mows you down, just SUPER hard. :v:

• Locked thread