Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Farg posted:

I want to get into this HH business, what are some of their best episodes, at least for a new listener?
the "find guests you love" strategy is always best, but i think PFT's first episode and Ben Schwartz' episode are the perfect introduction to S&H's style

then you can dive into the craziness

are there any other script reading/writing episodes beyond Paul Scheer, BJ Novak, or Brian Huskey? cause those are highlights

ps i really wish that pete holmes' episode wasn't a live one because i feel like his puppydog honesty and sincerity would have worked PERFECTLY with their style, but they had to play with the live audience in mind and i feel like that took something away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Ironically, the launch of Howl has gotten me into Hollywood Handbook and improv4humans... not that I've been listening to them via Howl at all, but I've been like "poo poo, maybe I should download every episode of these shows just in case I end up loving them in the future!" and now I've listened to a bunch of both of them. And I'm glad that I did download every episode of both of them.

What other Earwolf shows should I download the entirety of before it's too late? (Aside from CBB, HDTGM, and UTU2TM?)

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Farg posted:

I want to get into this HH business, what are some of their best episodes, at least for a new listener?

I think the Dave Thomas episode is a really good one if you want to "get" what HH is all about. Few guests play along as well as he does and it remains my favorite ep.

Meatlong Football
Feb 11, 2008

thexerox123 posted:

What other Earwolf shows should I download the entirety of before it's too late? (Aside from CBB, HDTGM, and UTU2TM?)

Make sure to download mike detective for posterity before it's like a man who ate a hammer - tool ate.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

I just listened to the Kate Berlant episode of Wild Horses: Perspectives. It might be the most incoherently insane thing that has ever existed. Absolutely hilarious. One of them is a living barbie doll with a musty (not musky) vagina and the whole thing devolves into a weird name game that has no connective thread.

Definitely worth a listen

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Farg posted:

Episode 44, with Nick Wiger. More importantly, with the opening segment "Welcome to 'Welcome to Sweden' Etc." The Wiger interview itself is good and highlights a lot of their personality traits, but my God, the opening...I think that's the epitome of where Hayes and Sean can go when it's just the two of them playing off one another. The bit starts with a pretty straightforward concept, gets silly...then it spirals so far, into such a weird place. My absolute favorite 20-odd minutes of Hollywood Handbook.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
The Sinbad episode is great and the Paulie Shore episode isn't exactly good but I would recommend listening to it

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Groucho Marxist posted:

The Sinbad episode is great and the Paulie Shore episode isn't exactly good but I would recommend listening to it

Painful...yet required

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

The Ape of Naples posted:

It's late in the week to bring it up but Matt Gourley saves this week's Spont. It started off like they couldn't figure out where to go but when Matt becomes Les Claypool he carries the whole thing. I was going to give up on the episode but decided to finish it off and I'm glad I did.

Sometimes now I just listen to the beginning, interview, and improv introduction and skip the actual improv stuff, because its usually not that good.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
The Pauly Shore ep made me super sad about the amount of times I saw Encino Man as a teenager and how cool I thought he was in it.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
Best bit of the Pauly episode is the Ehh Wrong segment the second week

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

thexerox123 posted:

Ironically, the launch of Howl has gotten me into Hollywood Handbook and improv4humans... not that I've been listening to them via Howl at all, but I've been like "poo poo, maybe I should download every episode of these shows just in case I end up loving them in the future!" and now I've listened to a bunch of both of them. And I'm glad that I did download every episode of both of them.

The Andy Daly Podcast Pilot Project. And on Wolfpop, I Was There Too is essential if you're a movie buff.

Wax Lion
Aug 24, 2009

Howard, responding to Kulap's confusion about Howl on Who Charted: "Maybe there will be an explanation on the checks."

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Wax Lion posted:

Howard, responding to Kulap's confusion about Howl on Who Charted: "Maybe there will be an explanation on the checks."
i thought it was super cool how kulap went "i don't even know what it is, what's happening lol" about howl when it came up

i don't really have intelligent thought on this, but when she said that i lolled

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
I'm sure Scott can explain it to her as long as she doesn't ask him anything technical.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
"I have no idea what "user experience" means, I'm more of a broad strokes kind of guy"

E: ^^^ more or less an exact Scott quote for a question that the Howl interface needed work. For those that didn't catch the forums question thread

Zsinjeh fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Aug 27, 2015

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
It's very funny reading Scott attempt to do customer support for something he doesn't understand at all.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

Tarranon posted:

im irrationally happy about the fact that HH seems to at least be safe from being canceled. i liked their competition to be the second least popular show on earwolf, but i also didn't like it

on the other hand, the longer the show goes on, the more diluted my pro version becomes...

Haven't their listener numbers gone waaaaay up since the CBB ep? For instance, the Julie Klausner ep has almost 20k listens, where as before their eps seemed to hover around the 2-5k mark IIRC.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
New podcast coming, Question of the Day, for those who are short on time but long in curiosity, starring johnny freakonomics and someone else.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
:siren: Here's Gelmania. Thanks to Power of Pecota for the initial upload!

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
hollywood handbook is the greatest podcast ever made

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
I started going through the HH backlog, and the Ellie Kemper episode is so amazing.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

The REAL Goobusters posted:

hollywood handbook is the greatest podcast ever made
So glad they're kinda sorta getting recognized now (at least we mostly all love it and huge following on the earwolf subreddit) because yeah: HH rules. Tuesday has been my favorite day of the week for a long while now.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

cams posted:

i thought it was super cool how kulap went "i don't even know what it is, what's happening lol" about howl when it came up

i don't really have intelligent thought on this, but when she said that i lolled

That made me laugh too

I wish Jeff Ullrich still posted in the thread

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Is he even involved still? I thought he was out of it.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Mr. Squishy posted:

Is he even involved still? I thought he was out of it.

He's not involved in the company anymore as a decision maker but I remember hearing someone high up, I think Adam Sachs, mention him recently. I'm totally blanking on the convo or podcast, but I remember thinking, "At least he didn't sell off all his stake before Scripps bought Earwolf." right after.

My best guess is The Wolf Den that was released immediately after the sale.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Bucket-O-Nothing posted:

Make sure to download mike detective for posterity before it's like a man who ate a hammer - tool ate.

Hehe, yeah, right after making that post, I remembered that I was subscribed to Mike Detective and Spont, but hadn't downloaded them yet. Thanks!

feedmyleg posted:

The Andy Daly Podcast Pilot Project. And on Wolfpop, I Was There Too is essential if you're a movie buff.

Ooh, yeah, ADPPP is another one that I am subscribed to but forgot to download! And yeah, I've listened to a couple of I Was There Too episodes... I should get that! Thanks!

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
Isn't howl a mid roll thing, which is Jeff's new joint?

Come on Jeff, come in and explain why I can't see which podcasts I have downloaded so I can listen to them on the go.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

Besson posted:

Isn't howl a mid roll thing, which is Jeff's new joint?

Come on Jeff, come in and explain why I can't see which podcasts I have downloaded so I can listen to them on the go.

I think he sold it to some big media conglomerate.

Spraynard Kruger
May 8, 2007

Did anyone else notice that at the end of this week's CBB, Scott plugs "h-a-w-l dot f-m"? Even he's trying to undermine it!

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
Was Matt Besser implying that it was "The State" that took his idea for a tv show? My early 90's sketch comedy it really limited but I want to know what show he was talking about that stole his ideas.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Did he specifically say the TV show was a sketch show? The mash-up idea made me think along different lines.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

I don't think The State started in Chicago, I doubt it. Was looking at this, and I barely remember any of these shows. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_programs_broadcast_by_MTV#Comedy_series_2

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
I thought the State stated at NYU

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Maybe Viva Variety?

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
Looking at that list real quick buzzkill is my best guess.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
It's Chicago guys, it's the kind of line blurring irritate people stuff ucb liked in their early days, the time line roughly matches up I think. I could be wrong though.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

It was Rock N' Jock Basketball.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Besser's great idea was the 25 point hoop way above the normal basket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Eltoasto posted:

Besser's great idea was the 25 point hoop way above the normal basket.

I forgot that existed completely.