Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

In what universe is being a realtor a desirable quality? Every realtor I've dealt with is a garbage human being. I can walk into a place and immediate smell if there's a realtor in the room, like I'm sensing an evil presence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
We got 'Colours'. Everyone took a test to determine their colour ranking - Gold is organized, Blue is emotional, Green is analytical, Orange is action.

Marketing and HR loved it. Loved it.

So now people put their colour profile in their sharepoint profile, and no poo poo say things like "Oh it's so much easier to work with a blue, they just understand me" or "You're being a little too orange today and it's making me feel very gold."

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

BaseballPCHiker posted:

A previous employer I worked for did that. I believe it was called "Strengths Finder". Everyone got the book and then had to take the test online. Once all of the results came back we had meetings to talk about our strengths and how they fit with the rest of the team. It was pretty much a complete waste of time. Marketing loved it.

We are doing this right now, and it is the worst thing. Complete waste of my time. I'm not coming to work to be a better person, I can do that on my own time. Just give me my work and I will do it. Give me new work and I will learn it.

This is of course trying to show you that you don't really need to separate work from non-work and man you could do more with us paying you less because we are helping you grow!

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

BaseballPCHiker posted:

A previous employer I worked for did that. I believe it was called "Strengths Finder". Everyone got the book and then had to take the test online. Once all of the results came back we had meetings to talk about our strengths and how they fit with the rest of the team. It was pretty much a complete waste of time. Marketing loved it.

Oh god, my department did this. Complete waste of a day.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

In what universe is being a realtor a desirable quality? Every realtor I've dealt with is a garbage human being. I can walk into a place and immediate smell if there's a realtor in the room, like I'm sensing an evil presence.

Typo. It should have been Relator.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

let me introduce you to some car salesmen

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Antioch posted:

We got 'Colours'. Everyone took a test to determine their colour ranking - Gold is organized, Blue is emotional, Green is analytical, Orange is action.

Marketing and HR loved it. Loved it.

So now people put their colour profile in their sharepoint profile, and no poo poo say things like "Oh it's so much easier to work with a blue, they just understand me" or "You're being a little too orange today and it's making me feel very gold."

RadicalR posted:

Oh god, my department did this. Complete waste of a day.

The HR and Marketing love is the worst part. I cant even begin to explain how infuriating it is. It's like someone took one of those lovely online personality tests that get pasted all over Facebook and brought it into the workplace. Hearing someone say "Jane is such good relator but Joe is more of a maximizer, maybe we should switch them," is maddening. Even worse was that we were insanely busy with a couple of major projects at this time and we still got dragged into these pointless loving meetings that lasted all day. Then we got bitched at by some VP in marketing about our progress. God I hated marketing at that company. Sales at least actually went out and you know sold something. As far as I can tell all marketing did was look at color swatches and come up with lovely product names.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Bob Morales posted:

Looks like someone finally got their rear end chewed at Rackspace for having lovely Exchange hosting:

Down today. Control panel wasn't usable for a few hours yesterday afternoon. I think more is going on over there than they wish to let out.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

Also (Lenovo's) website is a stupid piece of poo poo that won't let me complete extending a couple of warranties.

And when you try to send in a warranty support ticket, you have to sign up on a third party website.

Which then sends you an email confirming your registration with your password in plain text!

And there's no way to change it. And if you hit forgot password ... you get emailed, again, your password. In plain text.

sfwarlock fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Aug 26, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I love it when "colors" for anything comes up in a conversation that I'm participating in since I shut that poo poo down really fast by reminding everyone that I'm color deficient (moderate red protanomaly so purples, browns, and oranges confuse the hell out of me.)

"So on this documentation we are going to differentialt the different departments by using blue, purple, brown, and green."

*raises hand*

"Yeah, I see two blue documents and two green ones, might want to come up with a better scheme."

Sudden thoughts of ADA run through everyone's head. "Ok, we're going to rethink that...."

On a related note, gently caress every piece of equipment that has a tiny LED that shifts between Red, Amber, Green, and Yellow to show state. Use blinks or wildly different colors, this poo poo isn't a fashion show.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Aug 26, 2015

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I don't know if I should get pissed at Lenovo for making a laptop with an AMD video card or at AMD for having a card autodetector that can't tell that I'm running Windows 7 and a driver website with broken search links.

Or at the rear end in a top hat that upgraded to Windows 10 and the only signal of life it gave me was INACESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE.

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Aug 26, 2015

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I now sign all of my emails with REMEMBER THE MAINE!

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Dick Trauma posted:

I now sign all of my emails with REMEMBER THE MAINE!

The Maine was an inside job!

Pissing me off: instabilites for two days finally explained. Vendor matter of factly said "yeah, we've been running on the secondary all week, we'll fail back to the primary today."

Sooo. You're perfectly happy with the secondary performing like poo poo then? Just because it goes tits up every two hours under load is no cause for concern, right? :argh:

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Lum posted:

I also now understand why people rave about Dell rails

I can see why but I had a bit of trouble with mine, I had to keep taking them out and re-shunting them into the rack as the clips wouldn't click in, only way I managed it was taking a scalpel to scrape off the paint in some square holes.

I don't know what the gently caress the deal with APC rails is though; you kind of bolt the back part on with bolts and curved washers, then you leave the front unfastened and have to slide the UPS into the rails, and then thread bolts both through the front panel and front rail holes to fasten the whole lot together. I wasted so much time thinking I could use cage nuts and lining up the bolts, because the drat things are staggered and supposed to be uneven!

Super Slash fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Aug 26, 2015

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Lum posted:

I also now understand why people rave about Dell rails.

At a previous job our colo rack was at this shady, kind of cheapo datacenter. The holes for mounting rails were just a little too small to actually get the Dell rails into so everytime we went to rack a new server with Dell rails we had to spend 30 minutes with a small hand file.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

HardDisk posted:

I don't know if I should get pissed at Lenovo for making a laptop with an AMD video card or at AMD for having a card autodetector that can't tell that I'm running Windows 7 and a driver website with broken search links.

One day, companies are going to realize that the people who create drivers should not necessarily also create the web sites that host said drivers.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Super Slash posted:

I don't know what the gently caress the deal with APC rails is though; you kind of bolt the back part on with bolts and curved washers, then you leave the front unfastened and have to slide the UPS into the rails, and then thread bolts both through the front panel and front rail holes to fasten the whole lot together. I wasted so much time thinking I could use cage nuts and lining up the bolts, because the drat things are staggered and supposed to be uneven!

No you don't do that.

You bolt the front on by putting the flanges behind the front vertical rails of your cabinet and fasten them down using the curved washers and flat head screws. (This is for square hole cabinets.) when mounted properly, the front screws sit snug and flush with the front vertical.

Then screw in the back.

THEN slide in the UPS and thread the screws through the UPS, through unoccupied square holes in the cabinet and into the threaded part of the rails that are sitting behind the vertical posts.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Naw, your UPS doesn't need rails. When our UPS/battery guy managed to bend the rails somehow putting the UPS in he revealed to us that all you need is a 4x4 chunk of lumber to hold it steady.

Fire hazard, you say? You clearly lack the spirit of adventure my former coworker had.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Super Slash posted:

I can see why but I had a bit of trouble with mine, I had to keep taking them out and re-shunting them into the rack as the clips wouldn't click in, only way I managed it was taking a scalpel to scrape off the paint in some square holes.

Yeah you're racking that wrong. 2 screws at the front of each rail, 3 at the rear, chuck the UPS in and then use the larger long screws through the rack ear and into the threaded parts welded to the front of the rails.

http://www.apcmedia.com/salestools/ASTE-6Z8LHZ/ASTE-6Z8LHZ_R1_EN.pdf?sdirect=true

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
And yet the old sysadmin I replaced just said "gently caress it" and threw a UPS on top of the rack.

Because that's where it goes obviously.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The top?

Holy gently caress. That's gonna kill someone.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Pissing me off today: the boss is still assigning me tasks to do. Menial, stupid ones, the likes of which are why I looked for another job and gave my notice.

My last day is Friday. You really want me to get a project going with our consultant to figure poo poo out with why the login script fails with my account disabled? Rather than just have it set to a complex password once I'm gone and have my replacement handle it, you want to spend consultant money - something which, by the way, never EVER got approved by the CFO unless we had a total business loss - just because you don't like that solution?

I'm also not going to list laptops on our offline inventory, lol we have Exo5 that literally tracks each and every laptop, its service tag, etc. I'm having the part-time helpdesk guy do it, because gently caress you guys for the helpdesk jerking around you've had me do since April only hiring a part timer three days before I gave my notice.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Naw, your UPS doesn't need rails. When our UPS/battery guy managed to bend the rails somehow putting the UPS in he revealed to us that all you need is a 4x4 chunk of lumber to hold it steady.

Fire hazard, you say? You clearly lack the spirit of adventure my former coworker had.

Just bend up some angle iron. Wish I was kidding.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

The top?

Holy gently caress. That's gonna kill someone.

Yeah on one hand I should probably fix it. On the other hand every single time I'm UPS wrangling both my boss and the little tween intern poo poo both flap up their asses and disappear. gently caress it. I'm not paid enough to die.

Oh there's also an old das array sitting on top of the ups that is on top of the rack.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

MJP posted:

Pissing me off today: the boss is still assigning me tasks to do. Menial, stupid ones, the likes of which are why I looked for another job and gave my notice.

My last day is Friday. You really want me to get a project going with our consultant to figure poo poo out with why the login script fails with my account disabled? Rather than just have it set to a complex password once I'm gone and have my replacement handle it, you want to spend consultant money - something which, by the way, never EVER got approved by the CFO unless we had a total business loss - just because you don't like that solution?

I'm also not going to list laptops on our offline inventory, lol we have Exo5 that literally tracks each and every laptop, its service tag, etc. I'm having the part-time helpdesk guy do it, because gently caress you guys for the helpdesk jerking around you've had me do since April only hiring a part timer three days before I gave my notice.

When I quit my awful consulting job, I had a project for the weekend after my last day. The boss asked me with a straight face, "you are still coming in on Saturday, right?"

I told him no.

Then he said "well, even if you leave, I'd still like you to come in a few evenings and weekends and do some consulting on the side with you to make some extra cash."

I told him "I'm not quitting because I don't make enough money, I'm just tired of working at nights every weekend, so why would I want to come in after I quit? Besides, everytime you've hired an outside consultant to help us you rip them off, and don't pay them for months or only pay them half of what you agree, so why would I want to be in that situation? I've seen what happens."

Then he said "well, you are really leaving us high and dry here, you need to step up and finish your obligations, whether or not you are leaving. How can we make it worthwhile?"

I said "Ok, I want $100 an hour, and I want to be paid upfront. I won't log into anything or step foot in a client office unless you've paid me first, with a ten hour minimum."

He responded that was unreasonable, and I told him "I know, that's the whole point."

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

When I quit my awful consulting job, I had a project for the weekend after my last day. The boss asked me with a straight face, "you are still coming in on Saturday, right?"

I told him no.

Then he said "well, even if you leave, I'd still like you to come in a few evenings and weekends and do some consulting on the side with you to make some extra cash."

I told him "I'm not quitting because I don't make enough money, I'm just tired of working at nights every weekend, so why would I want to come in after I quit? Besides, everytime you've hired an outside consultant to help us you rip them off, and don't pay them for months or only pay them half of what you agree, so why would I want to be in that situation? I've seen what happens."

Then he said "well, you are really leaving us high and dry here, you need to step up and finish your obligations, whether or not you are leaving. How can we make it worthwhile?"

I said "Ok, I want $100 an hour, and I want to be paid upfront. I won't log into anything or step foot in a client office unless you've paid me first, with a ten hour minimum."

He responded that was unreasonable, and I told him "I know, that's the whole point."

My boss is Orthodox Jewish. Sundown Friday to sundown Saturday, he's completely inaccessible. The High Holy Days are coming up. He'll be out for the equivalent of several weeks through late September/early October. In two days at 5 PM, if something breaks, it goes unfixed until Saturday at sunset.

Some poor sysadmin is going to come into a job not knowing how much helpdesk garbage and on-call he's going to have to do, how many useless inventories he'll be expected to maintain, how many technologies he's expected to support without any resources (e.g. paid support contracts or access to consultants), and how he's going to be on-call every Friday night and Saturday during the day until they hire and train up a full-time helpdesk guy (which isn't happening, because we have a part-timer to do that)

In other words it's going to be months before they can find someone dumb and/or desparate enough to take it, or someone who's OK with helpdesk scutwork alongside sysadmin responsibilities, because every sysadmin secretly loves nothing more than doing the helldesk they became a sysadmin to get away from! :hurr:

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

MJP posted:

In other words it's going to be months before they can find someone dumb and/or desparate enough to take it, or someone who's OK with helpdesk scutwork alongside sysadmin responsibilities, because every sysadmin secretly loves nothing more than doing the helldesk they became a sysadmin to get away from! :hurr:

Or they will trick someone into accepting the job and that person will realize how much it sucks and promptly get hired somewhere else with 3 months. Or they get an extremely untalented lazy sysadmin who doesnt give a poo poo and will just keep the lights running while he collects a paycheck.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
poo poo not pissing me off, the old Lab wiring closet is finally cleaned up. Majority of this stuff hadn't been connected for a while as it was migrated to a newer closet with a nice Cisco 6509. The network guy (no longer here) was supposed to clean this poo poo up, but never did. I'd like to tidy up a bit more, but some stuff is still connected and I didn't want to put in a change request to take them down temporarily. I think eventually, we'll have to get the cable guys to come back and remove all of those old, unused cable runs.

Before:

After:

Here's all the poo poo that was pulled out:

poo poo that is pissing me off, the aforementioned network guy is gone, so I'm having to take over his duties and yet not getting the proper pay. I've applied for his old position (I'm not really a networking guy, but then, neither was the last guy), but I doubt I'll get it. Reason being, this place has a revolving door when it comes to directors. I've been here almost 6 years and we've had 4 directors. In between directors, the network guy was the interim director. So, if I were to get his old position, I'd eventually have to be an interim (it's only a matter of time before this current director is gone). I'm certainly not a person that's cut out for being a director, even if it is temporary.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is someone allergic to mounting patch frames or something? A bunch of 12-port strips with no labelling would be my idea of hell.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I always cringe when I see switches mounted like that, because I know the ports will be full of crud. :/

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
This was all set up before my time. There's a ton of poo poo that we've cleaned up from prior I.S. teams. We had a rather large box that we filled with small 5 port switches because they apparently couldn't be bothered to run a cable from the patch panel to the switch and turn on the switchport.

I've gotten everything running to the newest switch in that closet now, so I'm going to be removing the 3 old switches to send off to ewaste.

I've also discovered that apparently the guy that left had only been backing up 7 servers. We probably have over 60. That's yet another mess I'm going to have to get sorted.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

poo poo passing me off: NTFS permissions :argh:

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
gently caress PRINTERS and gently caress our Midwest Division!

Everything the Midwest does is hosed up and non-functional including one of our largest clients who has been broken in one way or another for the past 3 months. They decided to replace all of the scanners in their org without actually configuring them and they're so so broken.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Che Delilas posted:

One day, companies are going to realize that the people who create drivers should not necessarily also create the web sites that host said drivers.

I imagined that for the people that are smart enough to create drivers, web stuff would be piece of cake for them, but here we are.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

To be good at something, you have to do it frequently. Just like software engineering is not network administration, writing a driver is not writing a website.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

HardDisk posted:

I imagined that for the people that are smart enough to create drivers, web stuff would be piece of cake for them, but here we are.

They are almost completely opposite ends of the software engineering spectrum. An artisan blacksmith is not a metallurgical scientist, but that has nothing to do with a difference in their cognitive capabilities.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

the littlest prince posted:

To be good at something, you have to do it frequently. Just like software engineering is not network administration, writing a driver is not writing a website.

Also, kernel-level programmers tend to lack a sense of aesthetics outside of "does it look right to me and is it functional". I know I certainly don't have one.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Kazinsal posted:

Also, kernel-level programmers tend to lack a sense of aesthetics outside of "does it look right to me and is it functional". I know I certainly don't have one.

god what i would give for functional websites

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

go3 posted:

god what i would give for functional websites

TimeCube.com is technically functional last time I loaded it, but completely lacks in aesthetics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

the littlest prince posted:

You want me to design a program to do recursion all over the place? I can sort it out. Grumpily but itll be done. Linked lists for everything? Alright. Binary searches? WTF Why? But ok.

Any other decently high level programming task? I'll get it sorted.

Nice looking website? For some reason I just can't do it. I've tried a million times. Everything is functional but it looks like poo poo. I just don't have the apititude.