Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

THE PENETRATOR posted:

An issue I'm seeing is the slime ln has the same insane retarded problems all lns except chinese ones seem to have when translated into English by groups of hobbyists. Ie, it sucks rear end .

Im going to look at the spider one on your recommendation and if i don't like it i will report your post

Translation quality jumps significantly within 10-20 chapters. The spider one is simplistic to the extreme but still a pretty fun story overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Anatharon posted:

Overlord ends with a patch nerfing undead and a Wile E Coyote style shot of him turning to the camera looking concerned.

It's not really a video game anymore, it seems to me like it used to be a game and then got transported into someones D&D campaign.

So, uh no patches. Maybe an apocalypse stone though...

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
RE: Reincarnated as a Slime

This is pretty good. Got a similar fish-out-of-water feel, a fantasy world, the feeling of exploration and building up/progressing toward something new. Was worried he'd quickly turn into some cute anime-girl-but-also-a-slime.

Are stories like this really popular? Getting transported to a fantasy world from modern day, I mean. It sounds like a pretty common story setup, but I've found things that just feel like DnD or similar to be somewhat rare until stuff like GATE, Overlord, that slime thing, and I guess Log Horizon showed up. Though Log Horizon is still pretty gamey/japanese.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I think it stems from some sort of nostalgia for a story sort of like .hack, but not .hack, because it was quite honestly poo poo, but for years was the only type of that story. It also does help that MMO's is a social platform that allows for certain stories and dilemmas that wouldn't really be there if a guy got lost in a single player game.

How would you make "I'm stuck in Super Mario Bros." interesting? Unless you literally make Captain N, I mean.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Mordaedil posted:

I think it stems from some sort of nostalgia for a story sort of like .hack, but not .hack, because it was quite honestly poo poo, but for years was the only type of that story. It also does help that MMO's is a social platform that allows for certain stories and dilemmas that wouldn't really be there if a guy got lost in a single player game.

How would you make "I'm stuck in Super Mario Bros." interesting? Unless you literally make Captain N, I mean.

You could probably make a pretty fun story about a guy forced into an endless series of video game universes having to "fix" them in some way(probably by beating the game) in order to move on to the next one in an effort to try to find his way home. Basically Quantum Leap: Video Game Edition. I don't know how much staying power that would have, though.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Didn't you basically just describe that Myst MMO?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mordaedil posted:

This was a popular light novel turned into a Hollywood movie starring Tom Cruise.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009

PerrineClostermann posted:

Was worried he'd quickly turn into some cute anime-girl-but-also-a-slime.

Guess what happens later.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

.Clash posted:

Guess what happens later.

i mean, the main character's humanish form is just really androgynous and the various characters interpret it differently. Them being genderless and lacking any sexual instinct does mean that the series is never in any risk of turning into harem bullshit, and that's very nice. You still shouldn't read Tensei Shitara Slime Datta Ken but the main character's form isn't really why. Problem with it is that dramatic tension swiftly falls out of the series as it is quickly established the author won't let anything remotely bad ever happen to his precious characters. Overlord also stars an extremely overpowered character, sure, but the series is not specifically about his overwhelming power and bad stuff absolutely can happen to other characters you might care about. It's too bad, I liked the first three web novels of it, but with the fourth the series just goes to complete poo poo, and when the fifth early on has one of the main good guy characters torture raping a lady for information, well,,,

don't read the slime novel lmao

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It would be neat if the slime were like a littlest hobo who traveled the world solving peoples' and demons' problems with OP Slime Bullshit but never staying for long. But maybe tomorrow, they'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, they'll just keep on moving on.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

T.G. Xarbala posted:

It would be neat if the slime were like a littlest hobo who traveled the world solving peoples' and demons' problems with OP Slime Bullshit but never staying for long. But maybe tomorrow, they'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, they'll just keep on moving on.

Slimeventures sounds like something I really want to read.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

PerrineClostermann posted:

Are stories like this really popular? Getting transported to a fantasy world from modern day, I mean. It sounds like a pretty common story setup, but I've found things that just feel like DnD or similar to be somewhat rare until stuff like GATE, Overlord, that slime thing, and I guess Log Horizon showed up. Though Log Horizon is still pretty gamey/japanese.

The genre's been around for a while, though the specific iteration of MMO world is a new twist. Just off the top of my head I can think of Escaflowne, Fushigi Yuugi, Those Who Hunt Elves, and El Hazard from the 90s.

Kanos posted:

You could probably make a pretty fun story about a guy forced into an endless series of video game universes having to "fix" them in some way(probably by beating the game) in order to move on to the next one in an effort to try to find his way home. Basically Quantum Leap: Video Game Edition. I don't know how much staying power that would have, though.

They already made ReBoot, and it was in fact a pretty fun story.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Nipponophile posted:

The genre's been around for a while, though the specific iteration of MMO world is a new twist. Just off the top of my head I can think of Escaflowne, Fushigi Yuugi, Those Who Hunt Elves, and El Hazard from the 90s.
The monster thing seems pretty new, though.

E. Nearly every one of these is a student that retains the original form

Jackard fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Aug 27, 2015

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
A common thread in reincarnation stories is that they all suck

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

it was cool in lucifer and the biscuit hammer

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
It's weird how the writers of these things base everything on a video game system.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Davincie posted:

it was cool in lucifer and the biscuit hammer

The Master was awesome.

drilldo squirt posted:

It's weird how the writers of these things base everything on a video game system.

Um, they're basing their stories on things they know. It's not that weird, really.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I wonder if there are any D&D deities in this setting that can maybe give Ainz a run for his money if they appeared in Avatar form. Like Mystra or Tiamat/Tahkisis willing to smite him down if Ainz ever threw caution to the wind and burned everything.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I believe Ainz theorycrafted that while there probably aren't gods walking the earth, some of the highest level player characters on the server might be part of the theocracy he destroyed in the first few episodes, leading that.

Mind, as far as I've read, there has been nothing confirming or denying the existence of these beings and Ainz theorycrafts a lot and that is a major appeal of the read, as it's always not right on the money.

So we might get a battle of gods.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Dagoth and the Tribunal aren't that strong if you abuse alchemy

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I do want an anime adaptation of the Wizard Knight now that I think about it

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
An anime adaptation of The Real Barenziah

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
I one hundred percent believe that someone wants to make a morrowind story about their own character.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

THE PENETRATOR posted:

Oh my. Those are lewd even by Anime standards.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Ainz totally has CHIM.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
LN: Does Clem ever come back? She was so cool. :smith:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Nipponophile posted:

They already made ReBoot, and it was in fact a pretty fun story.

Until the weird rear end part two, at least.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

LN: Does Clem ever come back? She was so cool. :smith:

We are at the end of volume 2 and by volume 9 she hasn't come back. Her corpse dissapeared so its assumed someone is bringing her back to life possibly.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

THE PENETRATOR posted:

The Genki Argonian Maid Cafe.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
I'm very excited to watch the next episode of Dragonball AinZ

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Next weeks PVs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8VcaaYEEk8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-CSrQWarTw

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Oh gently caress yes.

Obviously, chock full of spoilers for the fight, but holy drat.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I just finished volume three's first chapter. :stare: I'm now absolutely terrified of slimes and oozes.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Oh good. You are at the good bit I wonder how will be in the anime.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I just finished volume three's first chapter. :stare: I'm now absolutely terrified of slimes and oozes.

What's the difference, between a slime and an ooze?

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Sharkopath posted:

:shrug: I'm just going to assume that even though the slimes in Dragon Quest are cute their digestion is similar to an ooze's.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Aug 28, 2015

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

That depends ooze asking :D

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

.jpg posted:

Lmao.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

.jpg posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Sharkopath posted:

You can reincarnate as one but not the other

• Locked thread