Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Shiiit, 1.13 is going to obliterate my saves isn't it. I guess I'll start another Russia run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Pellisworth posted:

I would hang onto Portugal as they're your super contented little Brotugal who will never rebel as a March and will happily colonize for you. Mine stuck strictly to Africa and SE Asia while I monopolized the New World, I integrated them in the late 1600s when most of the colonization is over.

But then you inherit their colonial nations which are the wrong color.

This is a sin in the eyes of God. :dawkins101:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Fintilgin posted:

This is what save editing is for :)

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

PittTheElder posted:

You shouldn't need to. The Conquest CB lets you take every claim for free, so as long as you forge claims on all three provinces, you're good to go.

Is that the trick now? I have to claim all three provinces beforehand? I get the Conquest CB that lets me go to war without the stability hit, obviously, but I never thought anything different. Back when I got the game Castile automatically had a core on those parcels of land.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

Ojetor posted:

There's an event that can trigger that forces conversion on muslim provinces at the cost of hefty penalties to local manpower and tax.

It also fires inconsistently. At some point my take over of North Africa gets difficult as gently caress due to the overextension. Too much OE and you run risk of civil war.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Don't conquer North Africa, it's next to useless anyway. At most you want just the ports with their Trade Power modifiers.

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Is that the trick now? I have to claim all three provinces beforehand? I get the Conquest CB that lets me go to war without the stability hit, obviously, but I never thought anything different. Back when I got the game Castile automatically had a core on those parcels of land.

Yeah, fabricate a claim on all three, and then you won't need to pay any diplomatic points to take them in a peace deal.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Fintilgin posted:

Can't you change that now with the new subject interactions screen?

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

There's a mission you can take that gives you claims

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Dibujante posted:

Can't you change that now with the new subject interactions screen?

I... don't know. I remember reading that you could rename them, but I don't know if there is a color reset? Haven't played serious colonial power game since the latest patch.

(Because Etrian Odyssey 3 is consuming my life... :negative: )

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Fintilgin posted:

I have no idea why, but in my most recent Spain run (this beta patch), march Portugal did not touch the New World colonial regions whatsoever. I think it must have partly been AI, since they colonized most of the African coast and then went for Southeast Asia (grabbing Georgia, Galapagos which aren't part of colonial regions).

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Pellisworth posted:

I have no idea why, but in my most recent Spain run (this beta patch), march Portugal did not touch the New World colonial regions whatsoever. I think it must have partly been AI, since they colonized most of the African coast and then went for Southeast Asia (grabbing Georgia, Galapagos which aren't part of colonial regions).

At this point I would pay $10 just for a DLC that said "Portugal you go to Brazil and India, Spain, you colonize the Caribbean, Mexico, La Plata, Peru, Colombia.".

A big issue for me is that AI Portugal will always pick up Exploration and Expansion ideas back to back, meaning they swarm all over the place colonizing stuff with the same colonist count as Spain. Honestly they should get Explorers and Conquistadors as part of their national traditions (rather than Norway who has it in their ideas because?) and then they could skip Explo and go do cool Indian Ocean stuff instead.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

Yashichi posted:

There's a mission you can take that gives you claims

I should have said admin points earlier, not diplo. You used to start with a core on each of those provinces. Now you don't and you have to spend admin points to core them.

My trek into North Africa was mainly to get that one gold producing province.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Fintilgin posted:

The only wrong color for colonial nations is the default one.

Every CN should be a distinct color on the map which contrasts sharply with all its neighbors, even other CNs of the same parent country.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ofaloaf posted:

The only wrong color for colonial nations is the default one.

Every CN should be a distinct color on the map which contrasts sharply with all its neighbors, even other CNs of the same parent country.

You should be able to customize it at least. It's kind of annoying how you have all this control over Client States but it doesn't exist for CNs because they're an older mechanic that I guess nobody ever bothered to update. Also a subject interaction to pay for their colonists and nothing else would be nice. I hate subsidizing my CNs in the hopes to get them to use those colonists and they just waste it all on forts or a bigger army or something.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
Colonial nations really do seem to be a neglected vassal mechanic. Playing as a colonial power is almost boring since you're basically just painting the grey your color and not much else.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Colonies have come a long way, but I think there's so much more they could do with them.

I'd like a DLC focused entirely on interactions with, enhanced mechanics, and events regarding your colonial states. Maybe even some unique ones for the major different colonial regions (St. Lawrence is different from Brazil etc).

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I mean that was Conquest of Paradise basically. They definitely need to catch up in some mechanics but I think colonial nations are still the most interesting client states just by nature of how volatile they are.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Koramei posted:

I mean that was Conquest of Paradise basically. They definitely need to catch up in some mechanics but I think colonial nations are still the most interesting client states just by nature of how volatile they are.

Its freaking annoying that instead of fighting Natives they waste all their energy fighting your closest ally's colonies, and usually not your rivals. It's also annoying that instead of just forcing your CN to peace out, you have to join the war and now France is the war leader and they have a full Length of War modifier so it's fight a 20 year hellwar or give up half your nation

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
pls don't conquer portugal as Castille tia

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do you gain control of CNs when you diplo-annex a vassal... I'm pretty sure they gain independence if they already exist when you vassalize someone, but I've never had a colonizing vassal and I have no clue what happens

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Wait, Colonial nations declare wars without your consent? I've never had that happen during my Portugal came and I had like 5 colonial nations.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Zettace posted:

Wait, Colonial nations declare wars without your consent? I've never had that happen during my Portugal came and I had like 5 colonial nations.

Yes. And if the enemy mother country enforces peace, and your CN doesn't accept, both mother countries are at war with each other. It gave me a nice excuse as Portugal to completely take over Iberia.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-development-diary-27th-of-august-2015.878887/

quote:

So what have we done lately? Well, plenty of stuff that will go into 1.14 and the next expansion. Lots of stuff we are not ready to talk about yet, but this week we'll give you information about some new systems.

The first one is the new areas system, which will be a part of the patch.

Areas are a new type of region, usually consisting of between 3-6 provinces, and with no province being in more than one area. A new areas mapmode will show you which provincs are in what areas. This will be used for various mechanics we will explain more next week.

And then we have a feature which will be part of the as of yet unnanounced expansion.. The Victory Cards system. This is a feature that is primarily designed for multiplayer games, as it is introduced to reduce hugboxes and permanent allianceblocks.

At the end of a campaign, the top countries end up with 15-20K in score, so our goal was to create a system that could provide 30-50% more score for those that are willing to go for it.

And thus, we introduce the Victory Cards.

Starting in 1450, and every 100 years after you will be able to get a Victory Card if you have at least 300 development. Of course if you don't qualify for 1 at a given date, you will get 1 as soon as you qualify for it.

A victory card grows in score value every month if you own, control & core every province in its area, and it takes 20 years to grow to its maximum, and 20 years to drop to zero from its maximum.

The area selected is slightly randomised, but average development matter & it must be adjacent or within 1 seazone of any part of your nation or its subjects. Only provinces belonging to potential or current rivals are take into consideration, and you are far more likely to get ones on nations ahead of you in score or belonging to other players.

The first card is worth 1000, second 2000, third 3000 and the final 4000 points.

Here I've loaded up a savegame from 1.13 in our office MP campaign, and in the first 2 months I've gotten 2 victory cards to basically fight my game-long-hugbox-friend France.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009
1.13 proper is live now.

differences to beta posted:

# Diplomacy
- Negative opinion for breaking a royal marriage will now decay faster.

- Reduced AE from fabricating claims.
- Removed the scaling war exhaustion cost reduction and stability cost modifiers from seats in parliament.

# Natives
- Native assimilation now gives + to goods produced instead of -development cost (as the latter was useless in many provinces).

- Re-electing a ruler now gives -10 karma (down from -20) and electing a new ruler now gives +10.
- Reduced Karma loss for starting offensive wars from -25 to -10.
- Buddhists no longer pay any diplomatic cost for releasing nations, releasing vassals and returning cores.
- Administrative Efficiency now also lowers AE generated.
- At least 50 AE is now required for a country to join a coalition (up from 30)
- Taking provinces from a large country now reduces AE generated by up to 50% (uses the same scaling as increased AE for taking provinces as a large country, so a country taking provinces from an equal sized country gets neither a bonus nor a penalty regardless of size).
- Fixed AI always accepting peace for large enough sums of gold.
- Will now generally avoid taking provinces when doing so would result in an undefeatable coalition.

- Added an alert for having uncored provinces that you are currently able to core.
# War
- Attacker allies are no longer automatically set to be called if they would accept, instead you have to manually select them, so that allies aren't accidentally called to wars where you don't want them.

- Fixed major OOS caused by set controller commands being posted twice.
- Ideas that give +25% hostile core creation cost are now shown in province interface.
- Fixed a bug where besieging obsolete forts could cause you to lose army tradition.
- Fixed a bug where a war between two AIs would never end due to faulty peace treaty construction logic.
- Vassal Forcelimit Modifier now works correctly.
- Fixed a bug where reloading a save would result in trade missions giving a very high amount of naval tradition for a single month.
Shamelessly stolen from arumba on the paradox forums so no guarantees that this is 100% correct.

Sorced fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Aug 27, 2015

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart
Great, broke the saves :arghfist:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Pyromancer posted:

Great, broke the saves :arghfist:

Oh god no. I was well into an excellent Bengal game.

And I probably can't rollback because I was using a beta patch. :negative:

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Oh god no. I was well into an excellent Bengal game.

And I probably can't rollback because I was using a beta patch. :negative:

My 1.13 beta ironman save works just fine, I guess it only breaks 1.12 saves?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Mygna posted:

My 1.13 beta ironman save works just fine, I guess it only breaks 1.12 saves?

Fingers crossed. Thanks for trying to unruin my week. :)

Edit: Update: 1.13 beta patch is compatible!

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Aug 27, 2015

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Welp, definitely breaks saves from the last stable version. There foes my Ottoman game...

[edit] Well, just rolled back using the beta option. Can you still get achievements when you do that?

Munin fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Aug 27, 2015

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Munin posted:

Welp, definitely breaks saves from the last stable version. There foes my Ottoman game...

I rolled back to 1.12. My Cathottomans game is going way too well. Reformation in 1500, Emperor has passed everything but Landfrieden, despite me taking Vienna - this is going to turn into a stupidly fast HRE run unless he manages to Landfrieden before the wars of religion destroy his authority.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Large nations now get more AE (based on total development).

shiiiiit

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Top Hats Monthly posted:

shiiiiit

I wonder if this will slow down Ming at all. They have over 1000 development at the start date.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Dibujante posted:

I rolled back to 1.12. My Cathottomans game is going way too well. Reformation in 1500, Emperor has passed everything but Landfrieden, despite me taking Vienna - this is going to turn into a stupidly fast HRE run unless he manages to Landfrieden before the wars of religion destroy his authority.

How do you roll stuff back? I was finally having a good Austria ironman game for a change: Reformation was very soft and easy to counter, inherited Bavaria, then PU'd both Bohemia and Hungary, chomped half of France and all of Venices by 1600....and then the patch hits.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Sephyr posted:

How do you roll stuff back? I was finally having a good Austria ironman game for a change: Reformation was very soft and easy to counter, inherited Bavaria, then PU'd both Bohemia and Hungary, chomped half of France and all of Venices by 1600....and then the patch hits.
It's under the "betas" section in the game properties in Steam.

Patch Notes posted:

- No longer possible to seize colonies outside of coring range.
drat, there goes my quick Ming westernization strategy.

Patch Notes posted:

- You can no longer create vassals-of-vassals by demanding the capital of an enemy overlord country for your vassal as a part of annexation deal (instead enemy overlord's vassal becomes yours).
And thus dies Khiva, vassal of Uzbek, vassal of Ultramongolia, client state of Ming. This patch is ruining all of my fun.

Dibujante fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 27, 2015

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Top Hats Monthly posted:

shiiiiit

I completed a 1.13 beta one tag WC with the Ottomans and was able to avoid coalitions for all but a part of the midgame - this was before they added some beneficial changes in the final patch, such as moving coalition min requirement to -50. It's not as bad as it sounds.

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?

Larry Parrish posted:

Do you gain control of CNs when you diplo-annex a vassal... I'm pretty sure they gain independence if they already exist when you vassalize someone, but I've never had a colonizing vassal and I have no clue what happens

You do get their CNs. Bonus points if both you and your vassal had CNs in the same region. In my Castile->Spain game where I diploannexed Portugal in the late 1600s, doubled-up colonial nations have me at 24 merchants and could get significantly more if I wanted.

Donald Duck
Apr 2, 2007

Dibujante posted:

It's under the "betas" section in the game properties in Steam.

drat, there goes my quick Ming westernization strategy.

And thus dies Khiva, vassal of Uzbek, vassal of Ultramongolia, client state of Ming. This patch is ruining all of my fun.

You can westernise very quickly as Ming by going towards Genoas cores in Crimea. Your so powerful that you can just power straight through the hordes.

Quickly being about 100 years but that's probably how long it would take for the tech difference to appear anyway since Ming tend to keep up fairly well.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Donald Duck posted:

You can westernise very quickly as Ming by going towards Genoas cores in Crimea. Your so powerful that you can just power straight through the hordes.

Quickly being about 100 years but that's probably how long it would take for the tech difference to appear anyway since Ming tend to keep up fairly well.

I'll have to try that, especially now that Ming starts wtih tech 3. Westernizing off of Portuguese colonies was really nice because you could sometimes complete it by 1520. Alas.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
The new patch made the HRE quite a lot more volatile in my game. Austria lost the title of emperor to Saxony, who completely failed in all of their duties, and the HRE turned into a thunderdome.

Honorary mentions go to Friesland expanding and contracting about four times until I put them out of their misery, Oldenburg conquering Denmark (sadly, a bunch of rebels claimed independence less than a decade later) Sami in Scandinavia, Finland, and Savoy conquering all of Saxony (the emperor) and forcing them to release all of their lands, thereby resurrecting Burgundy and some other HRE members. And this is at the turn of the 16th century.

Oh, and Venice lost Venice to Ferrara quite early on as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Deltasquid posted:

The new patch made the HRE quite a lot more volatile in my game. Austria lost the title of emperor to Saxony, who completely failed in all of their duties, and the HRE turned into a thunderdome.

Honorary mentions go to Friesland expanding and contracting about four times until I put them out of their misery, Oldenburg conquering Denmark (sadly, a bunch of rebels claimed independence less than a decade later) Sami in Scandinavia, Finland, and Savoy conquering all of Saxony (the emperor) and forcing them to release all of their lands, thereby resurrecting Burgundy and some other HRE members. And this is at the turn of the 16th century.

Oh, and Venice lost Venice to Ferrara quite early on as well.

Paradox Sweden Bias (tm) will rectify the Scandinavian problem in no time.

• Locked thread