Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

"This, Mom, is my world."

Josuke is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
As a supplement, my fiance (Ziggy Starfucker) and I decided to go into Duwang chapter one totally cold and read it out loud. You can see the result here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNVVowo5_IA I'm sure someone out there has done exactly this but with actually good performances, but I think our lovely cold readings have a certain amusing quality just because they literally capture the first time we're seeing Duwang. (Also my fiance had never read any of part 4 before period.)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

You could do better than him then, clearly.

For example: a Ziggy Starfucker who has read all of Part 4.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the funny part is that the 'good' translation of arc 4 even keeps some of the more iconic duwang lines here and there.

see if you can spot them.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
:stare:

That thing with the dog was Dio as hell and I somehow forgot all about it.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
Although I don't like Angelo all too much I do kind of appreciate his place in Part 4. He's not some incredible ancient force or the henchman of a sexy vampire. He's just a criminal. A pretty disturbing one and is a little over the top in his depravity, but he's small-time compared to previous villains. He serves no higher power and is not in search of a legendary treasure; he is just a menace to the community.

I jumped into Part 4 immediately after completing Stardust Crusaders. Now, I am of the mind that Araki generally has a vision for the type of story he wants to tell but expresses it in new, experimental ways with each part. Just as Araki is testing the waters and finding what fits I find myself just touching the shoals with my toes so to speak. What I'm reading is good; it's unequivocally JoJo's, but I don't get totally immersed until I get a sense that Araki is more confident in expressing the material, which of course varies from part to part. Part 4 and Part 2 are the only parts that I picked up and marathoned immediately after starting. There's something I find appealing about the low-key villain and intimate setting compared to Stardust Crusader's globetrotting and shadowy mastermind. I don't remember if it as just the novelty of this type of setting in JoJo's, but it immediately resonated with me.

So, I'm curious. How did folks first respond to the start of Part 4? Did you have difficulties transitioning from glorious DIO? Also, how does Angelo feel as a villain?

Also, I wish Araki renamed Angelo's stand Aqualung.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm less a fan of stardust crusaders because it really has the feeling of 'saturday morning cartoon with a new villain every week' throughout most of it. hell, a couple later arcs have some definite travel elements to them but they feel a lot more intimate in a way than arc 3, a big part of that being araki getting more into the flow of things. diamond is unbreakable is the first time he really experiments with that sort of feeling and it really shows.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Iserlohn posted:

Although I don't like Angelo all too much I do kind of appreciate his place in Part 4. He's not some incredible ancient force or the henchman of a sexy vampire. He's just a criminal. A pretty disturbing one and is a little over the top in his depravity, but he's small-time compared to previous villains. He serves no higher power and is not in search of a legendary treasure; he is just a menace to the community.

I jumped into Part 4 immediately after completing Stardust Crusaders. Now, I am of the mind that Araki generally has a vision for the type of story he wants to tell but expresses it in new, experimental ways with each part. Just as Araki is testing the waters and finding what fits I find myself just touching the shoals with my toes so to speak. What I'm reading is good; it's unequivocally JoJo's, but I don't get totally immersed until I get a sense that Araki is more confident in expressing the material, which of course varies from part to part. Part 4 and Part 2 are the only parts that I picked up and marathoned immediately after starting. There's something I find appealing about the low-key villain and intimate setting compared to Stardust Crusader's globetrotting and shadowy mastermind. I don't remember if it as just the novelty of this type of setting in JoJo's, but it immediately resonated with me.

So, I'm curious. How did folks first respond to the start of Part 4? Did you have difficulties transitioning from glorious DIO? Also, how does Angelo feel as a villain?

Also, I wish Araki renamed Angelo's stand Aqualung.

I really love action stories where the stakes have never been lower, and Part 4 fits that bill perfectly. Part 4 was instantly my favorite when I read it, and only Part 7 even challenges that rank.

Angelo is pretty bland as a villain, but his stand is the perfect vehicle to show off Josuke's ingenuity and stand power. It's a power that might be awkward even for Jotaro with time stop to beat, since stands like Aqua Necklace or The Fool usually just fall apart harmlessly when attacked, which helps push Josuke as the new protagonist.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

hoobajoo posted:

I really love action stories where the stakes have never been lower, and Part 4 fits that bill perfectly. Part 4 was instantly my favorite when I read it, and only Part 7 even challenges that rank.

Angelo is pretty bland as a villain, but his stand is the perfect vehicle to show off Josuke's ingenuity and stand power. It's a power that might be awkward even for Jotaro with time stop to beat, since stands like Aqua Necklace or The Fool usually just fall apart harmlessly when attacked, which helps push Josuke as the new protagonist.

Off topic, but did you read Roach Busters (Gokiburi Buster)? It's a oneshot by the OPM team. Low stakes action is the perfect description.

Edit: Link removed by request

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Aug 28, 2015

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Not to backseat mod here but while I appreciate the share, you might wanna edit out the link.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I somehow totally forgot Angelo just eats a dog's head.

I always found it odd how nonchalantly Josuke's mom reacted to having a hole punched through her as well. It's clear that his Stand is fast, keeping up with Star Platinum and all, but surely it isn't fast enough for her to just go about her business.

It's possible that Araki simply didn't think we needed another panel reflecting a character's confusion at what the gently caress happened to them, but maybe Josuke does this all the time. Like if his mom eats something that upsets her stomach, he just rips the food out and tosses it in the trash.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

It's possible that Araki simply didn't think we needed another panel reflecting a character's confusion at what the gently caress happened to them, but maybe Josuke does this all the time. Like if his mom eats something that upsets her stomach, he just rips the food out and tosses it in the trash.

God I hope not. "Sure, female character, I'll do things to you without your knowledge! Don't worry, I know best what's good for you." is a lovely message, one that is sadly perpetuated in a lot of comics, and not just Japanese ones. I suppose part of it is inherent to the "superhero" genre (which JJBA part 4 is somewhat inhabiting at the moment) but it's a terrible message for people (particularly teenage boys) to internalize. It just reminds me of the time at work a new dev hosed up my test environment database. When asked to revert, response was "Oh I thought you had it set up that way by mistake so I fixed it!" Or maybe there's a reason it was set up that way, try asking first, dipshit!

Returning to JJBA it just seems so nightmarish that things would have gotten to the point that Tomoko is SO used to getting brutalized then magically patched up that an incident of that happening isn't even worth remarking upon and she assumes she just has scary delusions and she just goes about pretending they don't exist -- after all, it seems that she doesn't yet know that Josuke has a stand given that Josuke didn't tell his mom what was going on. The only other situation I can think of in which a person gets so used to denying the truth of their own perceptions is an abusive relationship and it seems extremely clear that that's not the intention here.

My guess is that Araki is just trying to say everything went down faster than ordinary human perception. In other words, JJBA protagonist stands move at the speed of plot expediency.

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Aug 28, 2015

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

I always found it odd how nonchalantly Josuke's mom reacted to having a hole punched through her as well. It's clear that his Stand is fast, keeping up with Star Platinum and all, but surely it isn't fast enough for her to just go about her business.

The idea is just she is healed quickly enough she's not entirely sure what happened beyond feeling weird for a second, since it all happened so fast, and just goes about her day. Crazy Diamond is just fast, that's all.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Aqua Necklace is basically Geb with slightly different powers, so it's interesting to see Josuke get thrown up against a Stand that gave the entirety of the Part 3 cast so much trouble.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, crazy diamond isn't at the same speed levels of star platinum but it's definitely up there. it's a prime example of punchghost, with thankfully something else to really differentiate it and enable some really odd solutions later on. it's probably the last example of a 'real' punchghost in the series, as far as main protag stands go. i wouldn't call it much of a spoiler, but the whole 'punch through someone and heal them up right afterwards' thing actually drops off hard after the beginning. on my recent reread i even noted how there was more of that than i remember. i feel like josuke gets less...brutal to an extent after the beginning parts? i keep bringing it up, but it's funny how you can kind see araki grow over time, even when in the middle of an arc.

i can only assume that punching through tomoko might not have been a thing josuke's done before but the alternative was her dying, so eh. i'm just glad that it's not a trend that keeps happening.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I just thought the idea of Josuke solving mundane problems through intense mutilation was amusing. :kiddo:

I'm sure Araki was just demonstrating that Josuke is just so skilled with his Stand he can do stuff like this no problem.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

I just thought the idea of Josuke solving mundane problems through intense mutilation was amusing. :kiddo:

I'm sure Araki was just demonstrating that Josuke is just so skilled with his Stand he can do stuff like this no problem.

oh, definitely. i just think it's kinda weird considering his character. he still does some sick-rear end poo poo later on but it feels like it makes more sense then.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Xibanya posted:

God I hope not. "Sure, female character, I'll do things to you without your knowledge! Don't worry, I know best what's good for you." is a lovely message, one that is sadly perpetuated in a lot of comics, and not just Japanese ones. I suppose part of it is inherent to the "superhero" genre (which JJBA part 4 is somewhat inhabiting at the moment) but it's a terrible message for people (particularly teenage boys) to internalize. It just reminds me of the time at work a new dev hosed up my test environment database. When asked to revert, response was "Oh I thought you had it set up that way by mistake so I fixed it!" Or maybe there's a reason it was set up that way, try asking first, dipshit!

I'm...not quite sure that's what Lumberjack Bonanza was implying.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I always assumed Josuke was faster, more efficient in this case because his mom's life was in danger, in this case creating contrast between comical anger (at his hair being insulted) and righteous anger (at having someone he loves threatened). Much like how you have Jotaro hitting harder, punching faster, ultimately mastering the time stop in order to beat Dio fueled entirely by his anger, Josuke is framed in a similar manner. Now he's "Serious."

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I'm...not quite sure that's what Lumberjack Bonanza was implying.

I'm sure it's not, and as I said at the bottom of the post where the bit you quoted is from, I know it's not Araki's intention either.

In the sort of nebulous world of the meta-effect of comics, it's a common narrative tool that the hero has special knowledge that other characters don't have -- in fact that's one of the characteristics named in Joseph Campbell's hero of a thousand faces. As a result, the main character often "knows better" than non-hero characters. I was basically trying to say that, while one-off instances of a character doing something to a character with a lower social status (wrt their identity, as in, women below men, educated above uneducated, professionals above tradesmen, etc) without their ever finding out is not intrinsically bad, I believe that this narrative device has a bad effect on society in aggregate.

Going by the Lajos Egri school of thought (I will never stop singing praises for that lovely Hungarian) part of the deal with fiction is that whether the author intends it to be read that way or not, stories are basically like scientific proofs - if conditions are x and y, then z is result. (Example: King Lear - "blind trust leads to destruction.") So every time this sort of thing goes down in a superhero comic, there's a tacit endorsement of the theme "it's OK to mess with people without their knowledge as long as everything turns out OK." (Visit Superdickery for lots of examples of Superman doing this to Lois and Jimmy.)

I do feel conflicted about saying this is a bad thing because you're gonna have this happen in any story with a superhero who has a secret identity regardless of sex but I think it's a bad theme for readers to internalize because way too many people overestimate their own awareness of any given situation leading to the sort of annoying incidents I described in my previous post.

Don't get me wrong, this is a really minor nitpick and I'm not going to let it stand in the way of my enjoyment of some :krad: punchghost comics!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

This is a lot of over-analysing a cool as gently caress scene where Josuke punches a hole through his mom.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
loving namedropper

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Aurain posted:

This is a lot of over-analysing a cool as gently caress scene where Josuke punches a hole through his mom.

:shrug: It wasn't the scene itself that prompted the :words:, it was the (jokingly suggested) idea that this is fairly routine in the Higashikata household, (and at the risk of repeating myself, I don't believe it is.)

You thought someone who doesn't perform literary criticism of comics for 12 to 16-year old boys did the Let's Read, but it was actually I, Xibanya!

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

I think the simplest explanation is that Tomoko's brain just didn't have time to register what just happened before she was back to normal.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

It is kind of interesting to think about the implications of a guy who can basically fix things/other people and what that does. Josuke's clearly a quick thinker (stand users are not always so, believe it or not) but he's still a kid. Doing that so spur of the moment does sorta make you wonder if he does that poo poo all the time.

What happens when you KNOW your friend/relative can do that, too?

But - I think Josuke's Stand is honestly just straight up fast enough to have done that without Tomoko having registered it. I think that was part of the point of that whole thing; to show its speed, Josuke's problem solving abilities, and the fact that he is clearly so well-versed in his own abilities that doing such a thing to a loved one doesn't even merit a second thought. Doing it to knife-tummy was different. I liked starting out with a guy who knows his abilities, more or less.

I thought I answered the question about transitioning from DIO last night but I guess I didn't, probably because it was a grumpy answer and still will be: I read through the last chunk of Part 3 way too quickly and was definitely satisfied by the resolution in terms of Jotaro/DIO and all, since it was cool, but I was still sort of bummed out by the whole thing (and mad at Joseph and Jotaro for moving on so quickly! Fuckers! Your friends are dead!) so I was really, really looking forward to Part 4's change of pace. Angelo's an interesting villain to start with.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I think the most interesting thing about Crazy Diamond is that it restores things rather than heal them. Josuke was able to shape that guy's nose differently after all. I wonder if Josuke has a desire to be a doctor or something, since he seems to know how to manipulate the human body pretty well.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

ascalapha odorata posted:

Fuckers! Your friends are dead!

I know this comment was written as a joke, but I don't find the events as depicted wholly unrealistic. Grief does not follow a schedule or checklist. :geno:

But - I think Josuke's Stand is honestly just straight up fast enough to have done that without Tomoko having registered it. I think that was part of the point of that whole thing; to show its speed, Josuke's problem solving abilities, and the fact that he is clearly so well-versed in his own abilities that doing such a thing to a loved one doesn't even merit a second thought. Doing it to knife-tummy was different. I liked starting out with a guy who knows his abilities, more or less.

:agreed:

What happens when you KNOW your friend/relative can do that, too?

Traveling magic show! Hm, but seriously, that would be super handy to have at parties 'cause folks be always breaking glasses n' poo poo.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Xibanya posted:

I know this comment was written as a joke, but I don't find the events as depicted wholly unrealistic. Grief does not follow a schedule or checklist. :geno:

Oh, definitely. And I mean what, Jotaro's going to break down? That's not Jotaro.

It was more just that I should have taken a break when reading. I even knew what happened to everyone going into it and was still pretty heartbroken over Abdul and Iggy.

One of my friends mentioned marathoning all Dio episodes when they watched SDC and I actually wanted to caution them against it for a variety of reasons, not least of which because it just seems sort of relentless to go through it all at once as a viewer. But they hated Kakyoin so I guess it worked out for them. :mad:

I mean that's why I like re-reading Part 4 in pieces like this. Going through any Jojo stuff too fast doesn't work out well, though that's normally just because you miss out on interesting details.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think arc 4 is still the longest arc to date, which influences the overall tone. it's a nice break after the first 3 arcs.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Gah I missed this first time around and have to respond:

Bad Seafood posted:

I always assumed Josuke was faster, more efficient in this case because his mom's life was in danger, in this case creating contrast between comical anger (at his hair being insulted) and righteous anger (at having someone he loves threatened). Much like how you have Jotaro hitting harder, punching faster, ultimately mastering the time stop in order to beat Dio fueled entirely by his anger, Josuke is framed in a similar manner. Now he's "Serious."

That's a better take than what I had and is really, really smart when you think about it. It shows how carefully Araki seems to have thought about presenting Josuke so you get a full picture of him right off the bat. He did something similar with Jotaro, just far more subtle because of Jotaro's personality (the gruff checkin with mom about how she's feeling, the sheepishness about helping out with the flesh bud, etc). Little stuff that makes a difference, honestly, because I think that's why I get so attached to these folks. Josuke's just a really fantastic character.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Josuke was able to shape that guy's nose differently after all.
Maybe you're keeping this mind when you say this and I'm dense, but I'm pretty sure the reason that happened is explained at the end of the Aqua Necklace fight.

Not sure what the policy on spoilers in this thread is, so sorry if I'm being lovely and vague.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Moltrey posted:

Maybe you're keeping this mind when you say this and I'm dense, but I'm pretty sure the reason that happened is explained at the end of the Aqua Necklace fight.

Not sure what the policy on spoilers in this thread is, so sorry if I'm being lovely and vague.

Please put anything about stuff that happens later than the latest Let's Read chapter in spoiler tags, including remarks about what will or will not be important going forward. And it's a little too late for this one in this instance, but I'd also appreciate stuff like "this will/won't be explained" also be put in spoiler tags. Thanks for abiding by these admittedly inconvenient guidelines!

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Xibanya posted:

Please put anything about stuff that happens later than the latest Let's Read chapter in spoiler tags, including remarks about what will or will not be important going forward. And it's a little too late for this one in this instance, but I'd also appreciate stuff like "this will/won't be explained" also be put in spoiler tags. Thanks for abiding by these admittedly inconvenient guidelines!
Got it! Real sorry about that.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Chapter Five
Josuke Higashikata meets Angelo Part 2
I wasn't able to find black and white scans in English so I decided to use a color English scanslation for this chapter. A terrible disappointment, I know!
This scanslation didn't say who translated it, but I assume it's using the Invincible Trio's translation.

Jotaro warns Josuke that Angelo, the bad guy stand user, is lurking somewhere near Josuke's house. Jotaro tells Josuke to sit tight until he arrives and to keep a close watch on the bottle in which Angelo's stand Aqua Necklace is currently imprisoned.

Some indeterminate amount of time later, Josuke is playing Super NES. He takes the opportunity provided by a game over to check on the bottle. (Game over...foreshadowing???) The bottle itself appears to hold only water, so Josuke agitates it vigorously, which causes Aqua Necklace to show its true form. Aqua Necklace snarls impotently at Josuke from the confines of the bottle.

We cut to Angelo, lurking in some bushes some hundred feet from the front of Josuke's house sweating profusely. "That son of a bitch!" he growls as he rips up the grass he's kneeling on. Yeah I could imagine how having your stand shaken up like that might make your inner ear get hella shook up. Angelo desperately tries to think of a way to break Aqua Necklace out of the bottle so that he can kill Josuke and "his babe of a mom!"

Then he spots Tomoko's dad (the bike-riding cop) pull up to the driveway and enter the house. "That's the cop...he's the one..." Angelo, sweaty as a motherfucker, says. Tomoko's dad yawns and enters the house - he just finished working the graveyard shift. Angelo let's use know that it was Sergeant Ryohei Higashikata who first sent him to jail when he was 12. "Ryohei Higashikata, I know everything about you!"

Ryohei pulls a gun on Josuke to ask why he isn't at school. It's obviously as a joke, but... trigger discipline man! Well, I guess this means the trigger discipline of your average Japanese LEO is no worse than your average American one :v: Josuke seems to not think that Ryohei is joking though! He stammers out that he's just waiting for somebody (which is true.) This is apparently fine with Ryohei. Huh. See if my high-school-age brother told me that's why he wasn't at school, I'd probably ask him for more details, but w/e let's not forget that the other adult in this household appears to be regularly caffeinating the 15-year-old.

"I'm just kidding, this is a fake gun!" OK fine, I'll take back what I said about trigger discipline. At any rate, for Josuke to actually be concerned about his grandpa waving a gun, he would have to believe at that moment that his grandpa would actually point a loaded gun at his head. I'm not saying he thinks his grandpa would shoot him, but plenty of people have died from dumb pranks that went down exactly like this one, so even if it were my own mother pointing a gun at me as a joke I would be as concerned as Josuke is here. So perhaps Ryohei has a history of ill-thought-out behavior. Because of the look of their house, I'm just imagining wacky hijinks in which he attempts to rig up elaborate Christmas lights and ends up shorting out the electrical grid for every building in a three-block radius. Oh cripes, did I just write a fanfic?

The TV has somehow switched from AUX to the local news! "The police reported a serial killing involving 7 people. All of the bodies were found with fatal internal injuries on their eyes and ears. These murders have only happened in the area of Morioh as of now, and are still being investigated." Josuke gives the bottle of Aqua Necklace the side-eye. "7 deaths...this many already?" Ryohei gets serious. He says that he can sense the killer lurking somewhere nearby.

A loud sound from a car sounds from outside (guess Jotaro drives stick!) and Josuke goes to the window to greet Josuke. While his back is turned, Aqua Necklace begins forming itself to look like cognac, going so far as to create a branded label. "I know you too well, Higashikata! After your nightly shift you just love having yourself a nice class of brandy, don'tcha?" Angelo says from the bushes. I guess he knows this from casing the house? Ohhh so he's going to try to trick Ryohei into opening the bottle. The bottle that has a label on the inside of the glass? ....oh poo poo, I'm not even that into cognac and if I saw a bottle with a wax seal stuck on the inside I would open it just to see what was up too! :ohdear:

Josuke greets Jotaro at the window. Jotaro tells him to get in the car.

Josuke is now in front of the door and turns around to notice...

OK sorry time for a nitpick, but yeah, Josuke either teleported from the window to the door OR he walked to the door without noticing the ensuing scene then did a double take (and remember, he couldn't have just done a sideways crab-walk to the door because he would have had to go around the window pane.)

The pacing implies that his turning around happens immediately after Jotaro tells him that they should go somewhere else, but you can clearly see that the spot where Josuke stands in front of the window and the spot where he stands in front of the door are about ten feet apart! Buuut honestly in terms of storytelling it's irrelevant and the rest of this page has some really excellent time and tension management. (It's possible also that Araki stuck Josuke in front of the door so that he wouldn't have to clutter up the panel with background elements showing stuff from out the window.)

The panels here are paced in a nice staccato sort of way (you could imagine a dramatic chord playing for each of these) as we jump closer and closer to Josuke's eyes. This sequence here is very horror-movie like in the best way as each panel ratchets up the tension higher and higher until the payoff. Whenever we jump to a closeup of a character's eyes, we're supposed to notice the character's mental state. So clearly Josuke saw something bad! But what?

The next two panels jump from a medium shot of the sidetable -- the bottle is open and empty -- to a close-up of the empty open bottle. Oh poo poo, that means...

oh nooo Ryohei's hand on the floor! Jotaro draws nearer and sees Ryohei lying on the floor, bleeding from his eyes, mouth, and ears, just like Dogshit Man from the last chapter! Aqua Necklace giggles and taunts Josuke!

Here's the whole sequence, because now it's Pontificating About Art Time!

You could absolutely just have these panels and keep going:

But drawing this moment out ratchets up the tension to the point where even the reader starts to feel that horrible pit-in-your-stomach feeling you get when you realize you just hosed up big time. To recap on tension, in a narrative tension is created by raising a question that has high stakes riding on the answer -- the higher the stakes, the greater the tension. A standard fiction-writing technique is to make the answer to a question raised by the narrative raise a question that has even higher stakes riding on the answer. And of course the reader should be able to anticipate what the "bad answer" is, if they couldn't there wouldn't be tension!

This is done excellently on this page, even if the whole sequence can be read in a matter of seconds. The narrative questions go: "what is Josuke looking at?" -- The open bottle. "Did Ryohei fall for Angelo's trick?" -- Yes. "Is Ryohei OK?" -- No. "Where's Aqua Necklace?" -- THERE!

Not only that, but the framing of the shots here, with these jumping zooms, wordlessly narrate Josuke's mental processing of what happened, heartbeat by heartbeat. Even if you didn't care much for Ryohei (we hardly knew ya) you can almost feel that sickening pit in your stomach as Josuke's eyes frantically jump around the room, taking everything in. You can almost imagine him replaying the last few seconds in his brain as he pieces together what has happened.

Josuke's stand punches Aqua Necklace but it, being liquid, escapes through the crack between the bottom of the front door and the ground.

Jotaro, apparently tired of waiting for Josuke to walk out to the car, walks in (or maybe he heard the DORADORADORA.) Josuke is already at Ryohei's side. "My old man opened the bottle...but no worries, small wounds like these are nothing! My stand'll fix him up in no time!"

Ryohei's wounds are patched up, but he doesn't move. Jotaro watches the scene uncomfortably.

Josuke is incredulous. "How could this be...he should...he should be up by now...my stand can heal anything..." Josuke shakes Ryohei telling him the joke isn't funny (this whole bit is so :smith:)

Jotaro puts a stop to this by laying a hand on Josuke's shoulder. Jotaro tells it to him straight - Josuke can't bring people back from the dead. Gramps was already a goner by the time Josuke got to him.

Josuke clenches his fist and briefly eulogizes Ryohei. "He never got promoted." Possibly due to a history of bone-headed shenanigans? "But he's been working hard to protect people in this town every day. When he heard about the news about Angelo earlier...he had the eyes of the guardian of this town!"

Jotaro tells Josuke to pull it together since Angelo is going to go after Josuke and his mom next.

Jotaro puts his serious face on and resolves to fill his grandpa's shoes by acting as the guardian of his town.

OK to be honest I am not really that bummed out that Ryohei bought it, but I really really want to give Josuke a hug! It's interesting to note here that at the end he's not boiling over with rage. He doesn't seem furious in the slightest. In fact he seems pretty calm - pretty ready to go kick some rear end in a level-headed way. After seeing what Josuke did to the turtle-smashing jerk from the Roving Pack of Assholes, I'm looking forward to seeing what he does to somebody who's actually really hosed with him, although it seems that he doesn't have quite the energy he had during that particular encounter. Maybe Angelo will end up dissing his hair.

Hmm, looks overall though that Josuke knows how to keep his poo poo together when things get real. It also looks like this is the first time Josuke's failed to "fix" a person. I hope they return to that idea because there's probably a lot of emotional drama to be had from exploring that. You can tell from his shaking knees that Josuke's upset, but the moment isn't dwelled on, at least not in this chapter. On the other hand, if they do continue to explore Josuke's feelings about what just happened, I hope it doesn't become some big overwrought "MY ONE BIG MISTAKE" like what happens in a lot of other comics where the hero then ends up angsting about that poo poo long past the point the reader is capable of feeling any sympathy. I'm thinking this will be fine though, Araki doesn't strike me to be the kind of writer that's that interested in making excessively self-flagellating heroes.

....oh no, how's Tomoko gonna take all this? :ohdear:

Next: to be posted some time by the end of the day on Sunday, chapter 6!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Hey Xibanya? Where are you reading these? Because all of Invincible Trio's B&W scans are up and available on Batoto.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think josuke is the first jojo where the fact that he's a kid is really touched upon. he may have had the stand since he was young, but chances are he never had to deal with, you know, someone close to him dying and thinking that maybe he'd have a chance of fixing them. even after hearing that this serial killer just straight up murders people and knowing that once the stand gets into someone they're basically dead, he still tries to fix up his grandpa, because why wouldn't it work? it has to work. why isn't it working.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Yah, if it's in English and it's color, that's Jojo's Colored Adventure team using Invincible Trio translations.

I usually read at bato.to and flip back and forth between color/original?

http://bato.to/read/_/200539/jojos-bizarre-adventure-part-4-diamond-is-unbreakable_v29_ch271_by_the-invincible-trio

Anyway, that chapter is sad but contains an interesting Jotaro thing as, well, it's sort of high praise. I wonder what Jotaro thought the first time he stumbled across a healing Stand of some sort.

Also, backtracking a tiny bit since I think those of us who know what happens are trying not to over explain something but it's also kinda right there - maybe take another look at Josuke's description page if you're curious about the way he works. First page of the prior Angelo chapter:

this also explains why I think of Prince most of all when I read Part 4. Too bad Pussy Control never shows up as a stand.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Hey folks, if you have links to scans, please just pm me or email me at Manuela.Malasanya@gmx.com, would hate to have everyone getting in trouble for :filez:!

Had been using a :spain: torrent tracker of all things, but thanks for the heads up!

And agreed, I like how Josuke comes off as rather relatable after Jotaro, who had me for the duration of Part 3 thinking "this guy would never give me the time of day IRL."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Links to Part 4 should be fine since it's not legally available in English yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Bad Seafood can rap our knuckles if we're wrong but I think that bato.to is kosher - there have been occasions where stuff that couldn't be there was removed for copyright reasons (like Berserk or Gangsta, I think?) so if it's there, it should be ok. Good on you for checking though. :)

e: for example, bato.to is linked in the manga thread frequently so I've taken that as tacit approval that it's ok to link here providing that the material is not available in the US.

Okuyasu Nijimura fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Aug 29, 2015

• Locked thread