Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It'll make a great best-seller about a weird thing 20-30 years down the line, that's for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Miss Wallace posted:

Honestly, it's just a stock reason they like to give when they get petty about something and want to get rid of someone. They said they got rid of Mike Dodd without telling him for the same reason, even though he literally did a daily show. They probably would have said the same thing about me if I hadn't been in a chat with a bunch of other people. They sure do love sweeping stuff under the rug.

I think they got rid of Ben because he had the gall to ask them to pay his girlfriend for use of her artwork on special edition DVDs, since she'd only agreed to have her stuff used on the initial DVD release.

You know, out of all the critics I regularly followed on Channel Awesome, Linkara's the only one I can think of that's still on the site. And his stuff I only really watch in doses. It seems like the few people who any real insight or talent were either fired for bullshit reasons, or jumped ship right before everything hit the fan (Chez Apocalypse always seemed like a lifeboat to me, at least from an outsider's perspective).

Miss Wallace posted:

Especially when it comes to money, Mike gets super pissy if he's confronted. He's the same guy who wanted to pocket the money for cameramen on Pop Quiz Hotshot.

Wasn't The Amazing Atheist Distressed Watcher picked up because he was good friends with Mike? Because reading this thread, I'm starting to understand how they got along so well.

emeriin
Feb 1, 2015
I heard that Mike Ellis was the one who kept defending The Distressed Watcher, but how he or Bargo got drummed out/left is a mystery to me.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Miss Wallace posted:

Honestly, it's just a stock reason they like to give when they get petty about something and want to get rid of someone. They said they got rid of Mike Dodd without telling him for the same reason, even though he literally did a daily show. They probably would have said the same thing about me if I hadn't been in a chat with a bunch of other people. They sure do love sweeping stuff under the rug.

I think they got rid of Ben because he had the gall to ask them to pay his girlfriend for use of her artwork on special edition DVDs, since she'd only agreed to have her stuff used on the initial DVD release. Why anyone wants a tin of To Boldly Flee for like $40 is anyone's guess, but there ya go. Especially when it comes to money, Mike gets super pissy if he's confronted. He's the same guy who wanted to pocket the money for cameramen on Pop Quiz Hotshot.

I think "didn't post enough content" is one of their favorite meaningless phrases next to "two weeks," which is the only estimate they ever give for when something will (and we most assuredly know won't) come out.

I still want to know how he expects to have people work for free? I mean does he need to pocket more money? I've seen the set, bullshit it cost 47k.

Does CA own the studio they use, or do they rent it? It's a big studio, and the sound kind of echos.

emeriin posted:

I heard that Mike Ellis was the one who kept defending The Distressed Watcher, but how he or Bargo got drummed out/left is a mystery to me.

My guess is that "15 Minutes" Michaud pulled a coup. I have heard that Doug signed away the rights to the NC to Michaud, so I do not know if he signed them to the company, or to Mike personally. If the latter, that made Michaud have all the power, and then he could let anyone go who was getting a paycheck from the company. Also, after kicking Bargo to the curb, invite him to be a part in To Boldly Flee, because there's nothing like adding insult to injury.

PassTheRemote fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Aug 26, 2015

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I know I'm probably not the first to say this but the state the Blip shutdown has left online reviewing in is depressing.

SF Debris' gone (I know he's promised to come back in September but we have no word on what he's using as a host now), most people are either trying to find hosts and/or uploading their backlog, and the only reviewer I'm currently following who's still producing content on a regular basis right now is Linkara.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Is Michaud the source of everything wrong with Channel Awesome?

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Chimera-gui posted:

I know I'm probably not the first to say this but the state the Blip shutdown has left online reviewing in is depressing.

SF Debris' gone (I know he's promised to come back in September but we have no word on what he's using as a host now), most people are either trying to find hosts and/or uploading their backlog, and the only reviewer I'm currently following who's still producing content on a regular basis right now is Linkara.

Yeah, at best it's left a lot of people with a whole bunch of extra work, transferring all of their videos over to a new host. And since a lot of people (including me) are trying to re-edit their really old stuff to make it more pleasant to watch, because when most people start reviewing they don't really know about making the sound levels smooth, or making the best edits, that requires at least a couple of hours per old video before you can re-upload it. So a lot of people have gone into a necessary refurbishment period/hiatus and don't have anywhere near as much time to make new content.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Has anyone done a decent critique of that movie After Last Season? There is one reaction video and one unwatchable review. I watched Spoony's riff as it went live. It was up for less than 12 hours before slapped with a take down notice. I just wondered if any more or less established critics had reviewed it online.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Infamous Sphere posted:

Yeah, at best it's left a lot of people with a whole bunch of extra work, transferring all of their videos over to a new host. And since a lot of people (including me) are trying to re-edit their really old stuff to make it more pleasant to watch, because when most people start reviewing they don't really know about making the sound levels smooth, or making the best edits, that requires at least a couple of hours per old video before you can re-upload it. So a lot of people have gone into a necessary refurbishment period/hiatus and don't have anywhere near as much time to make new content.

Hell, the only reason Linkara wasn't as badly effected as others were was because he had already changed to Screenwave months ago and thus presumably (feel free to correct me on anything I've gotten wrong) had most of the old videos transferred meaning he only had to transfer the ones that were missing and change the links on his site meaning the impending shutdown simply sped-up the process that was already happening.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

Mraagvpeine posted:

Nope.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

Like what every review here has said. It's mad dog him, problem avoiding Doug and his douchebag brother Rob who all are the problem.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Man I can't wait til The Oral History of Channel Awesome comes out.

I would definitely watch a documentary about the drama surrounding "internet critics".

Mraagvpeine posted:

Nah, the whole top is rotten from what we've heard--Doug, Rob, and Michaud.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Has anyone done a decent critique of that movie After Last Season? There is one reaction video and one unwatchable review. I watched Spoony's riff as it went live. It was up for less than 12 hours before slapped with a take down notice. I just wondered if any more or less established critics had reviewed it online.

I could write ya one, but there's no way I'm making a half-hour project of the thing. Best $11 I ever spent on a DVD.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

emeriin posted:

I don't know the circumstances behind Bargo leaving, but I know they didn't part on good terms. Last I heard he went to live with his family, but I don't know much else beyond that. As for Mike Ellis, what I heard had to do with a couple things. Best as I can recall, he was very sexist, and was saying things to Holly about respecting him, and that was creepy. Then he was planning on edging Mike Michaud out of the company, so Michaud edged him out first. As Michaud has partial rights to the Nostalgia Critic character, he pretty much won out. In fact, that's probably why he will be with the company until they fade out of existence. But in all honesty, Doug could just leave and do a "Critic" character like the Nerd did and he'd be fine, because Mike has nothing without Doug. The character means gently caress all.

PassTheRemote posted:

I still want to know how he expects to have people work for free? I mean does he need to pocket more money? I've seen the set, bullshit it cost 47k.

Does CA own the studio they use, or do they rent it? It's a big studio, and the sound kind of echos.

They rent it. I have no idea how they make any sort of money back, because that's expensive. They were paying for it when it sat unused/used for a wall for a year, after NC ended and Demo Reel was going on. Their claim was that the studio was for the game show and other original programming, not Demo Reel, and you can see how well that's been put to use 2 years down the line.

As for Michaud, he confuses me, because I know he didn't get a paycheck for a while because of how poorly the company was doing. He was selling video games to try and make money at one point. To this day, no one has been able to tell me what exactly he does at the company. All I've ever heard that he's done is a) made calls to Blip/Maker for contract stuff (not surprising, he is a good bully), and b) come up with ideas that have a 100% failure rate (Barfiesta, the game show). Like literally, every idea that has come from him has failed spectacularly, the only exception being creating TGWTG.com in the first place.

Mraagvpeine posted:

No, but he is about 80% of it.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

I could write ya one, but there's no way I'm making a half-hour project of the thing.

Shame. I read a pretty decent but short blog post on it but I would like someone smarter than me to tell me what went wrong with After Last Season - apart from the obvious things. There is a 20min video review but it had about 469 hits and when I attempted to view it I realised why. It is even more unwatchable than the film itself. I skipped about and couldn't watch more than a total of 30 secs of that video.

I know we make fun of dumb internet reviewers (and celebrate smart ones) but holy moly there are some stinkers out there that never even cross our radars.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Hey, good news: someone bought me Facerig in today's Steam sale, and I need an excuse to gently caress about with it. I'll mock up something to test that, your idea's as good as any.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I also watched the Spoony riff of After Last Season....and it was bad. Mainly because it's almost impossible to riff on something that long where over 60% of what you're watching is a screen saver.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Yeah, the main thing I remember was him singing show tunes over clunky graphics. It's a weird rear end movie. I couldn't believe what I was watching. I can't believe a "big name" critic hasn't done a review of it. I'd love to watch DDP's analysis.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
Does Spoony do anything besides play games online anymore?

Now that I think about it like 80% of the once booming online reviewing community are either gone or fading out. I remember it was everywhere in 2009-2010.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Chromatic posted:

Now that I think about it like 80% of the once booming online reviewing community are either gone or fading out. I remember it was everywhere in 2009-2010.

A lot of it was covering "nostalgic" media such as old movies and games, and there's a finite supply of that stuff to work with. Of course, there are 90's movies the NC hasn't covered, there are bad retrogames the AVGN hasn't done, etc, but by now, most of the prime material has been covered by <i>someone</i>.

I think part of the reason Todd has been able to stick around and maintain the same level of quality is the fact that he covers new stuff. He'll run out of Madonna movies soon, and he might even run out of good OHW subjects eventually, but there will never not be a new stupid pop song on the radio.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

If we take this to the logical conclusion, the only things left would be the thoroughly mediocre and the ones that simply cannot be found. At that point there the video saturation has fully exhausted the entertainment value of the old video coal mine, people would start branching out to foreign films and the bottom barrel. The other option is to just review the modern media and drop the "nostalgia" altogether.

KKall
Oct 15, 2012

Annointed posted:

If we take this to the logical conclusion, the only things left would be the thoroughly mediocre and the ones that simply cannot be found. At that point there the video saturation has fully exhausted the entertainment value of the old video coal mine, people would start branching out to foreign films and the bottom barrel. The other option is to just review the modern media and drop the "nostalgia" altogether.

Which is exactly what happened!

And those who are still working have branched out into more fashionable video essays and thinkpieces if they didn't just go mad and fizzle out.

I'm not sure about a documentary about the peak of reviewerdom though. Maybe a fiction piece based on the phenomenon? The subculture is probably rich enough to wring a good story. Something that captures internet reviewing the same way Quadrophenia captured mod subculture. Or how Dazed and Confused captured mid 1970's Americana. Or how American History X captured... bad example.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

rujasu posted:

A lot of it was covering "nostalgic" media such as old movies and games, and there's a finite supply of that stuff to work with. Of course, there are 90's movies the NC hasn't covered, there are bad retrogames the AVGN hasn't done, etc, but by now, most of the prime material has been covered by <i>someone</i>.

I think part of the reason Todd has been able to stick around and maintain the same level of quality is the fact that he covers new stuff. He'll run out of Madonna movies soon, and he might even run out of good OHW subjects eventually, but there will never not be a new stupid pop song on the radio.

He could keep OHW going for decades using only 1980s hits alone.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

KKall posted:

I'm not sure about a documentary about the peak of reviewerdom though. Maybe a fiction piece based on the phenomenon? The subculture is probably rich enough to wring a good story. Something that captures internet reviewing the same way Quadrophenia captured mod subculture. Or how Dazed and Confused captured mid 1970's Americana. Or how American History X captured... bad example.

A Reviewer's Story starring Peter Capaldi as Malcolm Tucker as An Angry Internet Reviewer.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

KKall posted:

And those who are still working have branched out into more fashionable video essays and thinkpieces if they didn't just go mad and fizzle out.

It would be an interesting piece to see how the start with Roger Ebert came to people who started the craze like Doug and James. Then the causes that made everyone start to branch out and specialize as people began to become familiar and used to the way people have entertained them. The Goon who talked of "The Friend You May Never Meet" or something could be of use to help attribute the popularity of internet reviews. Following that would be the downsides and the, well, worse parts. Maybe a projection of the future and what may come?

I don't know, I'm just throwing ideas here.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
The problem with a documentary about "reviewer culture" is that it might as well be a documentary about "fad culture" in general, because every fad follows a very similar rise-and-fall. Just compare how extremely similar the rise and peak of Internet reviewers was to LPers now. The big boom started with a couple big names who got extremely popular, followed with massive oversaturation as bandwagon-jumpers, copycats, and a few people who are genuinely passionate about what they're doing, flood the market. I'm even starting to see less popular LPers forming mutually-beneficial groups where they frequently promote each other and create cross-over videos, a tactic I often saw employed by the reviewer crowd.

A documentary that compares and contrasts the lifecycle of different fads over the years and examines how their aspects have changed over time, if at all. Now that's a documentary I'd watch.

dijon du jour fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Aug 27, 2015

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
When do I get my Channel Awesome pog set?

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

dijon du jour posted:

Just compare how extremely similar the rise and peak of Internet reviewers was to LPers now. The big boom started with a couple big names who got extremely popular, followed with massive oversaturation as bandwagon-jumpers, copycats, and a few people who are genuinely passionate about what they're doing, flood the market. I'm even starting to see less popular LPers forming mutually-beneficial groups where they frequently promote each other and create cross-over videos, a tactic I often saw employed by the reviewer crowd.

Seems to me that LP started around the same time as the reviewer boom, if not earlier, and peaked around the same time. I'm under the impression that LP has faded a bit, and live streaming has taken over much of that audience, but maybe I'm wrong about this.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

KKall posted:

I was thinking something along the lines of 24 hour party people with CA replacing Factory Records. Maybe needing a bit more time to refute the unreliable narrator of the docu-comedy. And the occasional breaking of the fourth wall by the actors would be pretty much spot-on for the internet-reviewer style.

Or you could get David Fincher and Aaron Sorkin to collaborate again and call it The Antisocial Network this time.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

rujasu posted:

Seems to me that LP started around the same time as the reviewer boom, if not earlier, and peaked around the same time. I'm under the impression that LP has faded a bit, and live streaming has taken over much of that audience, but maybe I'm wrong about this.

On SomethingAwful, yes, but Let's Playing as a major pop-culture phenomenon didn't really occur until around the time Pewdiepie exploded in 2012.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
LPing hasn't faded, but mainly because it exists partly now as an archive for twitch streams. It is also one of the more popular and direct impressions of a new game that's released, because they're not restricted by embargo or absurd contract obligations some companies put on game sites.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
ToddintheShadows reviews a pointless dance song! :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQXNJBczhHE

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Chromatic posted:

Does Spoony do anything besides play games online anymore?

He tweets, and refuses to see Fury Road.

9jack9
Jan 13, 2015

KKall posted:

Heads up, I've been writing this as a screenplay for about half a year. There's a not-kyle who does a not-BHH.

KKall
Oct 15, 2012

stillvisions posted:

I was thinking something along the lines of 24 hour party people with CA replacing Factory Records. Maybe needing a bit more time to refute the unreliable narrator of the docu-comedy. And the occasional breaking of the fourth wall by the actors would be pretty much spot-on for the internet-reviewer style.

Or you could get David Fincher and Aaron Sorkin to collaborate again and call it The Antisocial Network this time.

INT: HOUSE

HARD CUT IN: CU A young man, poised like a ferret possessed by the spirit of a honey badger. He is dressed in cheap clothes and sits before a BLANK WALL. He looks directly into the camera, fuming.

GUY: ULTIMATE IMAGINATION XVII IS THE poo poo-COCK-INGEST PUKE-BLOW-INGEST PIECE OF ASSFUCK CUMPISS I'VE EVER PLAYED IN MY LIFE! IT'S THE BIGGEST SCROTUM OF FARTSTOWN IN JIZZ CITY! BURN IT! BURN IT AND BURY IT IN THE DESERT.

He ends his rant with an impotent, vaguely masculine but nonetheless manic wail. He stops. The energy leaves him. He pauses. He thinks.

GUY: "poo poo cockingest... puke blow..." wait... what did I write down?

He picks up a SCRIPT and thumbs through it until he gets to the last page.

GUY: (reading out loud) Okay... "poo poo blowingest puke cockingest" (pause) "poo poo blowingest puke cockingest"... "poo poo COCKingest... puke BLOWingest..." yeah, it works better the other way around. That was fine.

He looks into the camera, resigned.

GUY: Yeah, I think I've got it. Yeah. That's the take. Okay. (pause) Okay.

He stands up.

CUT TO: WS of room, high angle. GUY stands up and turns off his cheap looking camera. The camera sits on a tripod facing the only tidy part of the room. The rest of the space, as we can now see, is built of pure clutter. Stray rulebooks, decade old strategy guides, discarded and obsolete game consoles, stacks of empty Tostitos bags, soda bottles and cardboard boxes fill the space, save for the one blank corner serving as GUY's backdrop.

"Hand Covers Bruise" by Trent Reznor begins to play. GUY walks over to his bed, lazily swipes the various flotsam off the mattress and collapses onto the bed.

CU on GUY. He stares at the ceiling.

MONTAGE of GUY driving late at night. He looks for a restaurant open late. He takes a burrito home to eat. He plants himself on a couch and loads a game into his console. The game starts up. It's Ultimate Imagination XVII.

The lights from the game illuminate the otherwise dark room. Bright pastels dance across GUY's face as he plays. He is emotionless.

FADE OUT

FADE IN: TITLE

CRITICAL THINKING

A David Fincher film.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

KKall posted:

INT: HOUSE

HARD CUT IN: CU A young man, poised like a ferret possessed by the spirit of a honey badger. He is dressed in cheap clothes and sits before a BLANK WALL. He looks directly into the camera, fuming.

GUY: ULTIMATE IMAGINATION XVII IS THE poo poo-COCK-INGEST PUKE-BLOW-INGEST PIECE OF ASSFUCK CUMPISS I'VE EVER PLAYED IN MY LIFE! IT'S THE BIGGEST SCROTUM OF FARTSTOWN IN JIZZ CITY! BURN IT! BURN IT AND BURY IT IN THE DESERT.

He ends his rant with an impotent, vaguely masculine but nonetheless manic wail. He stops. The energy leaves him. He pauses. He thinks.

GUY: "poo poo cockingest... puke blow..." wait... what did I write down?

He picks up a SCRIPT and thumbs through it until he gets to the last page.

GUY: (reading out loud) Okay... "poo poo blowingest puke cockingest" (pause) "poo poo blowingest puke cockingest"... "poo poo COCKingest... puke BLOWingest..." yeah, it works better the other way around. That was fine.

He looks into the camera, resigned.

GUY: Yeah, I think I've got it. Yeah. That's the take. Okay. (pause) Okay.

He stands up.

CUT TO: WS of room, high angle. GUY stands up and turns off his cheap looking camera. The camera sits on a tripod facing the only tidy part of the room. The rest of the space, as we can now see, is built of pure clutter. Stray rulebooks, decade old strategy guides, discarded and obsolete game consoles, stacks of empty Tostitos bags, soda bottles and cardboard boxes fill the space, save for the one blank corner serving as GUY's backdrop.

"Hand Covers Bruise" by Trent Reznor begins to play. GUY walks over to his bed, lazily swipes the various flotsam off the mattress and collapses onto the bed.

CU on GUY. He stares at the ceiling.

MONTAGE of GUY driving late at night. He looks for a restaurant open late. He takes a burrito home to eat. He plants himself on a couch and loads a game into his console. The game starts up. It's Ultimate Imagination XVII.

The lights from the game illuminate the otherwise dark room. Bright pastels dance across GUY's face as he plays. He is emotionless.

FADE OUT

FADE IN: TITLE

CRITICAL THINKING

A David Fincher film.

It's beautiful :aaaaa:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Please don't ever use your powers for evil.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

So, like, you're filming this, right?

KKall
Oct 15, 2012

Jsor posted:

So, like, you're filming this, right?

I don't need to film it.

I'm living it.

Please like and subscribe.

Adbot