Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
archaeo
Nov 5, 2009

may the power of Hecate compel you
http://www.quinnipiac.edu/images/polling/us/us08272015_Ueg38d.pdf

Trump 28
Carson 12
Bush 7
Cruz 7
Rubio 7
Walker 6
Paul 2

I love this world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Hillary is Steve Madden, Trump is John Madden.

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
How is Carson still so high, has he done anything other then talk about bombing caves full of illegal immigrants with drones?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Ben Has Tiny Weenus posted:

Not Rubio anymore. Along with abortion, I'm pretty sure he took a hard right turn on immigration during the debate, stating that he didn't support that bill he put forward anymore and his views on the matter have evolved.

The quickness with which rubio threw hispanic people under the bus was pretty startling, but the Cuban immigrant population in this country have always been the most gently caress you got mine of the last century's major immigrant populations. I guess getting a free pass to citizenship, or at least permanent residence for purely political reasons has made a significant portion of their population uncaring to the plight of Mexican immigrants, since they earned it "legally" (by being from the "right side" of Latin America)

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I love this one so much

Lindsey Graham Struggling To Stay Awake While Driving Empty Campaign Bus Overnight To Next Event

quote:

“This is great, because with a bus full of people, I’d have to wait for everyone to get their order and finish up eating before we could get moving again,” said Graham while consuming his food from a paper bag wedged between his legs. “But since it’s only me, I can just eat while I drive.”

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Totalizator posted:

How is Carson still so high, has he done anything other then talk about bombing caves full of illegal immigrants with drones?
He is black and Republican strategic voters think he will win based on "the Obama effect" that only exists in their heads

archaeo
Nov 5, 2009

may the power of Hecate compel you

Totalizator posted:

I think he's just a stand-in for a sizable number of evangelicals and conservatives who can't bring themselves to side w/ any of the establishment candidates, and have not yet accepted the inevitibility of his Trumpness.

I listened to him give some super high-speed recitation of some neuroanatomical pathways, and I really think he is an idiot, /shrug

BanjoFish
Nov 24, 2007

Totalizator posted:

I would guess it's the evangelical voting block losing interest in Huckabee and Santorum and coalescing around Carson, which is sort of remarkable since he has the charisma of a wooden plank.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So has Donald Trumps blatant alienation of anyone of anyone brown hurt him yet?"

It's hard to tell because news outlets are only polling him as a contender for the party where there are no brown people.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
There's Sam Brownback

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

BanjoFish posted:

I would guess it's the evangelical voting block losing interest in Huckabee and Santorum and coalescing around Carson, which is sort of remarkable since he has the charisma of a wooden plank.

If you'd like some amusement, head over to the Rapture Ready forums and poke into their End Times Politics subforum. That particular subsection of evangelicals appears to be coalescing around Trump, of all people, with one or two of them taking a step back and saying, "Um, hold on a second..."

It's pretty great to see the mental gymnastics they're doing to show how Trump is the only real conservative of the bunch.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

spacemang_spliff posted:

unelectable fringe candidate :smug:

I mean sure, Bernie doesn't have the money or endorsements or infrastructure that Obama did...but have you heard of all the left-wing white people that go to his rallies? it's the same situation all over again.

Feather
Mar 1, 2003
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

Totalizator posted:

You answered your own question, really.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Bernie is very popular with all the members of the Nation of Islam that I know.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

A Neurotic Jew posted:

I mean sure, Bernie doesn't have the money or endorsements or infrastructure that Obama did...but have you heard of all the left-wing white people that go to his rallies? it's the same situation all over again.

Hillary had an endorsement lead at this point in 2007 as well. Most of Obama's endorsement support didn't really coalesce until he started drawing huge crowds and generating a lot of buzz. It was very clear in 2007 he could never win the presidency and that Hillary was going to be the next president of the United States.

There is a lot of reasons that Bernie isn't Obama and that this isn't 2007, but it's a bit early in the game for endorsements to be one of them.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

He's going to win the Hispanics, the Hispanics love him, etc.

Mirthless posted:

Hillary had an endorsement lead at this point in 2007 as well. Most of Obama's endorsement support didn't really coalesce until he started drawing huge crowds and generating a lot of buzz. It was very clear in 2007 he could never win the presidency and that Hillary was going to be the next president of the United States.

There is a lot of reasons that Bernie isn't Obama and that this isn't 2007, but it's a bit early in the game for endorsements to be one of them.

I'd argue that getting Ted Kennedy's backing is one major reason Obama went from upstart to legit in the eyes of the Democratic Party.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

archaeo posted:

Trump 28
Carson 12
Bush 7
Cruz 7
Rubio 7
Walker 6
Paul 2

I love this world

To be honest I'm enjoying Walker's fall more than anything Donald Trump has done.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Trump is a Vocaloid man and doesn't want to upset his Touhou base obviously

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

archaeo posted:

Trump 28
Carson 12
Bush 7
Cruz 7
Rubio 7
Walker 6
Paul 2

I love this world
Lol, Jeb! is now polling equal with Cruz and Rubio.

So about that whole "Jeb! is inevitable" thing...

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Slate Action posted:

To be honest I'm enjoying Walker's fall more than anything Donald Trump has done.

Honestly, I am too. That fucker would be more of a disaster than Trump, because at least no one has bought Trump lock stock and barrel.

You know, unlike Walker who apparently can't eat, poo poo, or breathe without a Koch brothers' representative giving him cues. Plus, the creepy Reagan cosplay crap he and his wife do is just...ugh.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004
So what would the real effect of eliminating (or curtailing) NAFTA be.

Has NAFTA helped the people of Mexico or Canada?

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

BanjoFish posted:

A wooden plank he may be, but don't forget that wooden plank can get away with openly talking poo poo about black people!

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

archaeo posted:

Trump 28
Carson 12
Bush 7
Cruz 7
Rubio 7
Walker 6
Paul 2

I love this world

Looking into the individual candidate polling, looks like Comrade Bernie is still polling > 30% "Don't know" for all of his measurables.

He also loses to Rubio H2H, the only Democrat to lose in any hypothetical matchup.

This also tells me people live Biden way more than Clinton and he'd walk away with the nomination

(caveat: August polls)

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Another benefit of Carson is that he both hasn't dropped any enormous facepalm-worthy fuckups and hasn't incurred Trump's wrath. He basically gets second place by default.

His tithing idea is retarded but its literally the same flat tax idea every other candidate has put forth, and he was intelligent in wrapping social cobservatism around it in a way that doesnt alienate hispanic republicans (all 5 of them, minus the one running)

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I would switch from Bernie to Biden in a hot second purely on electability. With Clinton I don't really think she is any more electable than Bernie but I think Biden would outdo all of them.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I'd still vote for Bernie over Biden, but if Biden won the primary I'd probably be convinced to vote in the GE, eventually. Can't say the same for Hillary.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

NotWearingPants posted:

The problem seems to be that state department employees routinely send and receive unencrypted email containing classified information, or information that later becomes classified, despite the fact that they have a separate 100% encrypted system, and there appears to be no oversight at all because the emails sit ignored unless someone makes a FOIA request years later.

But that's not a problem? I don't understand why you're so upset that information gets sent that's later classified, it's really no big deal. Are you just mad that say DOD employees need to be more careful or something? Also it's important that they do not get in the habit of using SIPRNET for routine emails.

What oversight do you actually think is needed?

GlyphGryph posted:

Have you considered the fact that there are private industries that encrypt their information, though?

The Healthcare industry, for example, has some very peculiar email restrictions.

And your point is? Last I checked, State ain't medical doctors. And there's actual reasons to keep patient health information private at all costs, beyond that being the law.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It means that if they end up realizing that something should have been classified, it has already been sent out as plaintext. Especially when you can set up your IT infrastructure to automatically do point-to-point encryption, there is no reason to send anything in plaintext if you generate classified information.

But that's not a problem to begin with. Look, when we're talking about the State department's eventually classified information the only people with the capacity to sniff it later to begin with are other countries' NSA equivalents and there various moles in the department, who might even be the intended recipients. Again, things that actually need to be secure are sent on a segregated network to begin with, there ain't very much that's critically important that's getting sent on the normal network.

mlmp08 posted:

Then those who wrote the regulations aren't very bright. A rather significant portion of routine traffic is required to be encrypted on unclassified networks for a variety of reasons, mostly pertaining to personally identifiable information being passed such as routine pay/evaluation/whatever forms covered in birthdays and social security numbers and addresses and medical history.

But there is 0 harm to the traffic being unencrypted that is unencrypted now.

Foo
May 16, 2003
Professional Sponge
Rand Paul's numbers really cratered. He might make it into the next debate, but I don't see him making it into the one after that. He may come off as reasonable at times and do pro bono work in Haiti, but he also comes off as too much of an rear end in a top hat, and not in an endearing Trump-sort-of-way. That first debate killed him. I guess the debate also had the same effect on Bush's numbers.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Dahn posted:

So what would the real effect of eliminating (or curtailing) NAFTA be.

Has NAFTA helped the people of Mexico or Canada?

Hard to say. Speaking from a Canadian perspective, I think it's good because it increases labour mobility in both directions. It's easier for me to take a job in the US, and it's easier for an American to get a job up here. Considering that people in both Canada and the US seem to think they're getting screwed over by it, I'd say it's actually a pretty fair deal, all things considered.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Neurolimal posted:

I'd still vote for Bernie over Biden, but if Biden won the primary I'd probably be convinced to vote in the GE, eventually. Can't say the same for Hillary.

Policy wise I don't think there's much of a gulf between Biden and Clinton, but Biden is a hell of a lot more likable, relatable and trustworthy.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

fade5 posted:

So about that whole "Jeb! is inevitable" thing...

Most of the voting base are not into the primaries and the shitshow that it involves. In another year you will see the casuals come out and decide who is too loving insane to run, and who isn't. It happens every cycle.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Mirthless posted:

Trump is a Vocaloid man and doesn't want to upset his Touhou base obviously

You..know their names?

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

greatn posted:

Policy wise I don't think there's much of a gulf between Biden and Clinton, but Biden is a hell of a lot more likable, relatable and trustworthy.

Precisely why he's the superior candidate for Democrats in 2016 and why people want him to run. Bernie Sanders is not even a Democrat for chrissakes.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Tautologicus posted:

You..know their names?

Those are just categories, I dont watch anime and even I know that poo poo from memes. Vocaloids are harakana misos and fake singers for idiots who think Jpop isnt trash and Tohous are like smurf pokemons people or something.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Smoothrich posted:

Precisely why he's the superior candidate for Democrats in 2016 and why people want him to run. Bernie Sanders is not even a Democrat for chrissakes.

If your heart doesn't melt every time Biden gives that smile, that wink, or says something about malarkey you are not a human being.

People call him America's crazy uncle but that's not true. He's America's fun dad.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Sanders has caught up to where Obama's polls were nationally at the same point before the 2008 election.

Bernie clowning Hillary in a debate is all it's going to take to swing the votes around

Bring on the debates

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

greatn posted:

Yeah but Clinton doesn't sexually harass women and children while the entire world is watching on tv... multiple times.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

greatn posted:

Domestically they are cut from identical cloth, but when it comes to forwign policy statememts Biden has been far more practical, and has experience with Israel that doesn't suggest unconditional support.

Like I said, far prefer Bernie, but at least I can have mild faith that Biden will just continue current horrible policies and complete milquetoast lipservice to progressive issues, instead of compounding even more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Nintendo Kid posted:

there ain't very much that's critically important that's getting sent on the normal network.

The article linked early says otherwise.

Nintendo Kid posted:

But there is 0 harm to the traffic being unencrypted that is unencrypted now.

http://security.stackexchange.com/questions/37808/can-unencrypted-email-be-read-or-altered-while-it-is-in-transit

Multiple people have taken the time to patiently explain to you without snark why it's a problem, and your response is continues to be, "But there's no problem!" It's kind of ironic when my original point is people without tech experience don't usually have the knowledge nor willingness to understand technical issues and need to have these things taken care of people who do.

• Locked thread