Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
Seriously, though, my wife and I get up at 6:00AM and don't get home until 8:30PM-9:00PM. I feel like I haven't cooked in forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

NO GOD drat IT DO NOT BRING THIS UP

BAD PANTS.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
contrapants is a sandwich. :smugbert:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Manuel Calavera posted:

contrapants is a sandwich. :smugbert:

But does he have beans in him?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

therattle posted:

But does he have beans in him?

Oh, he's full of beans all right

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

As someone who has never worked in a restaurant, or eaten at Michelin Stared restaurant, I found this article fascinating:

Dinner and Deception: Serving elaborate meals to the super-rich left me feeling empty

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Squashy Nipples posted:

As someone who has never worked in a restaurant, or eaten at Michelin Stared restaurant, I found this article fascinating:

Dinner and Deception: Serving elaborate meals to the super-rich left me feeling empty

Yeah, me too. I think this recent article by Rene Redzepi also makes a nice companion piece.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

CzarChasm posted:

Oh, he's full of beans all right

:yosbutt::gas:

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Talked to daycare teacher. This poo poo is something that's making the rounds. I asked her how long it took her to get a sense of taste back.

She said two weeks.

:suicide:

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Damnit, the vegetarian girlfriend is already completely grossed out by ground beef, I don't need her hearing this poo poo.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/food/how-safe-is-your-ground-beef

quote:

All 458 pounds of beef we examined contained bacteria that signified fecal contamination (enterococcus and/or nontoxin-producing E. coli), which can cause blood or urinary tract infections. Almost 20 percent contained C. perfringens, a bacteria that causes almost 1 million cases of food poisoning annually. Ten percent of the samples had a strain of S. aureus bacteria that can produce a toxin that can make you sick. That toxin can’t be destroyed—even with proper cooking.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Squashy Nipples posted:

Damnit, the vegetarian girlfriend is already completely grossed out by ground beef, I don't need her hearing this poo poo.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/food/how-safe-is-your-ground-beef

I thought this was all dealt with in Fast Food Nation, but I didn't know about that particularly nasty indestructible one. Not that I'm surprised.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

That's not surprising in the slightest? Cutting up a cow is messy at a butcher, let alone at a plant and when you grind the beef the surface microbes is spread throughout. You'll find bacteria that *can* cause illness in almost everything you at, vegetarian included.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Oh I know that veggies cause more food poisoning then meat.

I was just surprised by the 100% contamination, and the indestructible one.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Also, animals like to poo poo on vegetables. And sometimes so do the guys picking them.

edit: This should get cilantro chat started: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/fda-ban-mexico-cilantro-contaminated_55b6d57ee4b0a13f9d1a0297

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Always thought cilantro tasted like poo poo

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

What's up with cilantro right now? It's $1.50 a bunch up from like ten cents a bunch.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Chemmy posted:

What's up with cilantro right now? It's $1.50 a bunch up from like ten cents a bunch.

Cilantro is never ever cheaper than $1.50 here, and sometimes goes all the way up to $3/bunch

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

It's normally like ten cents a bunch at the mexican grocery here in California.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Chemmy posted:

It's normally like ten cents a bunch at the mexican grocery here in California.

Do you pay extra for the poo poo, or is that why it's so cheap?

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Cilantro is never ever cheaper than $1.50 here, and sometimes goes all the way up to $3/bunch

Massive crop embargo due to food safety issues. Cryptosporidium IIRC.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

therattle posted:

Do you pay extra for the poo poo, or is that why it's so cheap?

I'm still alive, who cares?

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Y'all are real cooks in this thread, so I have a weird question. I'm working on a script where someone ruins a kid's birthday party by bringing in some sort of foody, avant garde or modernist cake that all the kids hate. I'm doing some research and I figured I'd cobble together something like a chipotle chocolate mixture or something modernist with like, individual servings of an absurd flavor combination enhanced with foam. Any off the cuff suggestions as to what you think a cultured person would enjoy that kids would hate?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

bartlebee posted:

Y'all are real cooks in this thread, so I have a weird question. I'm working on a script where someone ruins a kid's birthday party by bringing in some sort of foody, avant garde or modernist cake that all the kids hate. I'm doing some research and I figured I'd cobble together something like a chipotle chocolate mixture or something modernist with like, individual servings of an absurd flavor combination enhanced with foam. Any off the cuff suggestions as to what you think a cultured person would enjoy that kids would hate?

If you were going to abbreviate the word "avocado" in your script, how would you do it?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
A layer of spiced foie Gras mousse in lieu of the internal frosting layer?

Also read the tea party chapter from gravity ' rainbow

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Every time I've been food poisoned it's been through fruit, vegetables and greens.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

Force de Fappe posted:

Every time I've been food poisoned it's been through fruit, vegetables and greens.

You shouldn't eat those anymore. I'm currently learning from GBS that those are bad for you.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

bartlebee posted:

A bittersweet chocolate cake with lavender and hibiscus frosting, agave-sweetened carob "sauce" drizzled over each piece to sweeten it.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
That sounds suspiciously vegan.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The Midniter posted:

A bittersweet chocolate cake with lavender and hibiscus frosting, agave-sweetened carob "sauce" drizzled over each piece to sweeten it.

Beautiful. A blood-orange cake with basil icing and candied grapefruit zest.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
"Cake"

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Pigs blood cake with a crab apple frosting, dehydrated olive oil 'sugar' and a deconstructed buttercream jelly. With a mint choc chip ice cream sorbet.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

The cake is a basketball sized spherified chocolate liquid. Someone cuts into it and it spills brown liquid all over everything.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Reverse spherified cake batter globules that are microwaved and then served torn with creme anglaise foam and pickled fruit soil

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Vacuum formed dark chocolate shells in anatomically correct balloon animal shapes injected with brightly flavored and colored whipped filling, set on a plate made of flourless chocolate cake. Topped with toffee crunchies.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

A deconstructed cake with toasted flavoured almond flour, whipped vanilla butter sugar and a vanilla mousse.

Also, you people are assholes! Creative, inventive assholes: those poor children...

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
A hipster food nerd making a cake with bitter 90% or 100% cacao chocolate and thinking kids would like it because they like it seems the most plausible, something I could imagine happening in the real world.

Cavenagh posted:

Pigs blood cake

If you don't tell people that there's pig blood in your chocolate cake, they probably won't know the difference :ssh:

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Holy poo poo, that got knocked out of the park quickly. Thanks a bunch.

Chemmy posted:

The cake is a basketball sized spherified chocolate liquid. Someone cuts into it and it spills brown liquid all over everything.

This one made me laugh way, way too hard.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Paleo, sugarfree chia seed and black bean raw carob chocolate cake with vegan syrup.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

I cannot taste.

I cannot smell.

I wanna murder me a man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Force de Fappe posted:

I cannot taste.

I cannot smell.

I wanna murder me a man.

Last time I lost my senses of taste and smell it was almost 6 months before I got them back. Good luck my friend.