Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Skyscraper posted:

Is AW2 not happening because we expect Quantum Break to do poorly, or for other reasons?
Do we expect QB to do poorly because it's an XBONE exclusive, or just because it looks bad?

I really wish they'd spin off Address Unknown from Max Payne as its own series, but I know that's not going to happen.

Alan Wake 2 probably isn't happening because the original took like 4 years and it didn't make as big of a splash as they wanted. AW2 literally became American Nightmare so they need to start fresh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

al-azad posted:

Alan Wake 2 probably isn't happening because the original took like 4 years and it didn't make as big of a splash as they wanted. AW2 literally became American Nightmare so they need to start fresh.

Ah, that's too bad. I've seen this game get a lot of play in steam sales, but I'm not sure if that means that it did well after initial release, or if nobody wanted it. I feel like with the hype for Twin Peaks, and more people familiar with the series, a sequel could outsell the original. Of course, that also anticipates them getting the funding to even make a sequel, which might not happen if QB does poorly.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Groovelord Neato posted:

were you not mocking those people?

lol

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Honestly finding manuscript pages made me wish that Alan Wake was an actual book because I would read the poo poo out of it.

Then again I like Stephen King, whose dick the game is not just riding but already married and had sixteen hideous children with it.

There's an Alan Wake tie-in novel, if that works for you. It's just the story of the game though.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Ashsaber posted:

Whoo boy, that reminds me of the LP of SS13 that was going on a while ago. For one round the LPer was both the Captain and the Changeling, and managed to do both jobs quite well, at least until the last like quarter of the round when a traitor tried to kill him (the captain is a very tempting target after all). The traitor managed to knock him down with a nasty weapon, and IIRC, was going for the kill, when suddenly, bam, shambling horror mode and the traitor gets eaten. Sadly radiation poisoning from the traitor's weapon prevented him from ever speaking again, so he was unable to restore morale to the crew that had just found out he was a Changeling, though there were people speaking up in his defense, saying how he was a better captain than any other, taking down traitors like that. The round also ended with a really great literal monster closet, as he hid in a locker, then burst out and ate one of the few people who were actually hunting him.

Haha, were players seriously kingmaking and pledging their allegiance to the alien monstrosity? This is how cults form.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

UncleBlazer posted:

AW's combat was atrocious but everything else was so good it made up for it. Managing a flashlight batteries has never made a good combat mechanic.
I liked the concept, having to burn off the darkness or whatever to make the enemies vulnerable to attacks, but it was just so TEDIOUS in action. Just going through the same motions while sidestepping over and over.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Phobophilia posted:

Haha, were players seriously kingmaking and pledging their allegiance to the alien monstrosity? This is how cults form.

Not quite. IIRC it went something along the lines of:
AI:The captain has been attacked by a traitor and then ate him. He is also a Changeling BTW. I've locked him up.
Some Players: Oh God kill it!:cry:
Other Players: He killed a traitor, and ran the station effectively! Captain Changeling for Captain of the year!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
If my boss was a changeling, didn't try to kill me, and paid my wages on time, I'll pledge my allegiance to it :colbert:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Danaru posted:

If my boss was a changeling, didn't try to kill me, and paid my wages on time, I'll pledge my allegiance to it :colbert:

That boss would be better than some I've had in the past.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
So is it possible to save everyone in Until Dawn? I just got to the bit with the saw and, well, unless you can prevent that somehow I don't really see how you could save Ashley and Josh.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

BlackFrost posted:

So is it possible to save everyone in Until Dawn? I just got to the bit with the saw and, well, unless you can prevent that somehow I don't really see how you could save Ashley and Josh.

You are asking a question that involves a very large spoiler, and you should refrain from asking it until you've beaten the game.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Wanderer posted:

You are asking a question that involves a very large spoiler, and you should refrain from asking it until you've beaten the game.

Hmm. Fair enough, I suppose. I'll finish the game before looking anything up then, but these multiple-path games always make me curious as gently caress, haha.

Detective Buttfuck
Mar 30, 2011

I'm not gonna read that spoiler cause I haven't played this yet, but the main post in that game's thread mentioned everyone can be saved and everyone can die? I dunno.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I get that, but you will get much, much more out of your first run of Until Dawn if you just make choices as you prefer, playing the characters as you think of them, and diligently avoid all spoilers. A lot of the game's atmosphere and horror value relies heavily on your own expectations, I've found.

(If you're in the habit of checking tags on Tumblr, for example, they are routinely poo poo at marking spoilers and I would stay off of that entirely until you've cleared an initial run.)

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

BlackFrost posted:

Hmm. Fair enough, I suppose. I'll finish the game before looking anything up then, but these multiple-path games always make me curious as gently caress, haha.

It sounds like a fun game. Go explore the possibilities instead of asking about them!

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Detective Buttfuck posted:

I'm not gonna read that spoiler cause I haven't played this yet, but the main post in that game's thread mentioned everyone can be saved and everyone can die? I dunno.

it's true. i just wrapped up a "save everyone" run and am working diligently to kill everyone via chapter replay. BIG, VAGUE SPOILER: one "saved" character gets a fate worse than death no matter what, though.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Homework Explainer posted:

it's true. i just wrapped up a "save everyone" run and am working diligently to kill everyone via chapter replay.

Oh, you can go back to specific chapters? That's good news, I really didn't want to replay the entire game multiple times just to see little (big?) differences.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Wanderer posted:

Anyone know if this is ever leaving exclusivity? I'd watch an LP of it, but I'd really like to play it if it ever gets a PC port. I see that it's published by SCEA but I have no idea if that's a thing that could change with a port, or if they actually paid to fund its creation.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Skyscraper posted:

Anyone know if this is ever leaving exclusivity? I'd watch an LP of it, but I'd really like to play it if it ever gets a PC port. I see that it's published by SCEA but I have no idea if that's a thing that could change with a port, or if they actually paid to fund its creation.

Traditionally, "published by SCEA" means it will never be seen on anything that is not a PlayStation. Off the top of my head, I can't think of a single first-party Sony title that's ever been ported to the PC.

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

Just like Heavy Rain before it, it won't ever come to PC. I don't own a PS4 and will likely never play through the game firsthand but I came away from watching this guy play through it thinking that it's definitely one of my favorite games of this year.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I tend towards hyperbole, but Until Dawn is really one of the better horror games I've played. At least the best so far of this console generation. Plus it's "girlfriend approved" since it's not all guns and explosions and/or a Souls game so it's a nice change of pace for me.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Captain Yossarian posted:

I tend towards hyperbole, but Until Dawn is really one of the better horror games I've played. At least the best so far of this console generation. Plus it's "girlfriend approved" since it's not all guns and explosions and/or a Souls game so it's a nice change of pace for me.

It's pretty fun, yeah. Definitely a good way to kill time before SOMA launches later in September (or until MGSV releases at least).

I'll admit it's a lot better than I expected it to be.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

How does it compare to Heavy Rain? I love the concept of HR but absolutely hate its story. If it's like a competently written Heavy Rain I'd be happy.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Ekster posted:

How does it compare to Heavy Rain? I love the concept of HR but absolutely hate its story. If it's like a competently written Heavy Rain I'd be happy.

If you liked Cabin in the Woods with horror tropes, then you are in for a treat.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Diabetic posted:

If you liked Cabin in the Woods with horror tropes, then you are in for a treat.

Isn't "Cabin in the Woods with horror tropes" just Cabin in the Woods?

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Macaluso posted:

Isn't "Cabin in the Woods with horror tropes" just Cabin in the Woods?

Sorry, horror tropes x1000 without the unique twist.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Cabin in the Woods was loving awful. It was just insultingly nudge-wink and painfully obvious.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Kokoro Wish posted:

Cabin in the Woods was loving awful. It was just insultingly nudge-wink and painfully obvious.

most of it yes, the few minutes at the tned where it's horror movie monsters vs soldiers is p fun but that's it

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Ekster posted:

i watched a full LP of it. it wears all its dumb slasher horror tropes on its sleeves without apology (including sexing reduces survivability, and kids being incredibly idiotic with decisions), and it doesn't have that Cabin in the Woods conceit of having to shout out how clever it is, which is a relief.

the story can be tighter, but it feels like they kept things in check and therefore it didn't reach the ridiculousness of David Cage's stuff. like there are some twists obv but it doesn't feel like it's cheating, or lying to the audience like HR's murderer reveal

so yeah the game is shallower than it lets on, the production value is top notch (the motion capture is amazing) and it's entertaining enough

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Kokoro Wish posted:

Resolution, and to some extent Tucker&Dale v Evil, are better at that whole trope turning over thing. CitW was a little too ironic and the mythology (everything after Sigourney Weaver appears) is just plain poo poo

i think the point is the two films i mention actually have some kind of heart which CiTW sorely lacked

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

The Saddest Rhino posted:

i watched a full LP of it. it wears all its dumb slasher horror tropes on its sleeves without apology (including sexing reduces survivability, and kids being incredibly idiotic with decisions), and it doesn't have that Cabin in the Woods conceit of having to shout out how clever it is, which is a relief.

the story can be tighter, but it feels like they kept things in check and therefore it didn't reach the ridiculousness of David Cage's stuff. like there are some twists obv but it doesn't feel like it's cheating, or lying to the audience like HR's murderer reveal

so yeah the game is shallower than it lets on, the production value is top notch (the motion capture is amazing) and it's entertaining enough

I just wish it had more game play other than the whole modern "Choose your Own Adventure" Press X instead of turning to page 28 to find out what happens!

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Its a really fun and good game.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Homework Explainer posted:

it's true. i just wrapped up a "save everyone" run and am working diligently to kill everyone via chapter replay. BIG, VAGUE SPOILER: one "saved" character gets a fate worse than death no matter what, though.

Well, not necessarily since his fate can be just normal death :haw:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

speaking of CiTW, i remember there were Lakeview Cabin and (stretching) Party Hard. How are those games?

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
Lakeview Cabin is strange, and definitely something you need to go in blind to get the full experience. Talking about it in general can spoil some surprises. Not sure if it's worth a purchase at full price (I don't regret it but it's pretty short overall), but it'll probably be on sale at halloween.

I started playing some spookys house of jumpscares again recently, I think they've changed some of the AI around. The Silent Hill monster can walk through walls, the Puppeteer can move if you stare at him too long. I think marshmallow now acts as an AFK deterrent too, now.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Wanderer posted:

Traditionally, "published by SCEA" means it will never be seen on anything that is not a PlayStation. Off the top of my head, I can't think of a single first-party Sony title that's ever been ported to the PC.

Ah, ok. I wasn't sure if first-party was specific developers, or just the publisher being SCEA. Thanks! Guess I'll look up a good LP.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Is there a good VLP of Pathologic?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Kokoro Wish posted:

Thank you for having a good and cool opinion about that movie. Everyone I've ever talked to loves it but I apparently hate fun and thought it was rear end, minus seeing soldiers fight weird monsters for like 5 minutes.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
It was a pretty good 5 minutes

Also Thor being bugsplatted was great too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

sorry i pointed out the seams on the set