Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

Mesadoram posted:

WZ-120 has a scary gun on it. Especially for a T9 medium. Mmm that would be a fun grind once I go through the heavy tree.

The gun is pure sex as long as you don't have to shoot it below level. I have never been to China, but I am assuming that it is perfectly flat, judging from their tank designs. Other than that, it makes the 120 a really fun tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Also, somebody please tell me what to do in Sacred Valley in an unarmoured TD.

Your team cannot win unless your team wins the northwest. Southeast is entirely worthless AND is suicide in a paper TD to begin with. Either push up northwest and try to get your gun into enemies more than enemy guns get into you, or if you think your team can win the northwest without you carrying hard (they cannot) then just hang back behind the main force, sneak shots in where you can, and save your HP for cleanup or base defense. It's quick enough to just head back to base if the enemy team tries capping through the south.

Or you can just camp base and kill every single motherfucker dumb enough to try to push into well camoed positions from the southeast. Boring but if you say in allchat at the start "Hey everyone, please win the northwest. The southeast is useless because it cannot shoot anything and pushing from it is suicide) then you'll get the dumbest players from each team into the southeast, letting you pick off the remainder after 3-4 minutes of waiting.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Also, somebody please tell me what to do in Sacred Valley in an unarmoured TD.

cry as you get it for 2/3 of your games in an su-85 during the 5x event

the other 1/3 is hidden village, to trick you into thinking that sacred valley isnt so bad.

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

Are they dumping Sacred Valley? Or just Pearl River and Hidden Village? If they got rid of the giant turd in the middle of the map and had some terrain to fight in there instead it might be playable.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

100% of the maps would be improved if they flattened them out and removed long stretches of impassible terrain i.e. removed peek and poke lane battles.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

McGavin posted:

100% of the maps would be improved if they flattened them out and removed long stretches of impassible terrain i.e. removed peek and poke lane battles.
Time to live would be too low because it would be too easy for people to focus down one tank if sight lanes were too open.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Bort Bortles posted:

Time to live would be too low because it would be too easy for people to focus down one tank if sight lanes were too open.

How about a Steppes where the two giant killzones weren't giant killzones? That'd be a nice map.

There's no reason to have a 1000x1000 map if 80% of it is instant death.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Bort Bortles posted:

It is possible to have some cover without being forced to commit to pushing one direction until you reach the enemy base. Steppes probably comes closest to offering this sort of tactical flexibility, but the huge fields in the middle could be less flat or have more cover.

Also I hate hills because "Spending 3 minutes at the start of the match driving up a hill is so much fun!" said nobody ever.

Hellsau posted:

How about a Steppes where the two giant killzones weren't giant killzones? That'd be a nice map.

There's no reason to have a 1000x1000 map if 80% of it is instant death.

They should let us design maps. :allears:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

McGavin posted:

They should let us design maps. :allears:

How to fix Mountain Pass (one of the most imbalanced maps if I remember right) -

See the mountains in the northeast, south center, and west center of the map? Carve a goddamn tunnel or straight pathway through them so southeast spawn doesn't get murdered in the side and can actually reach the battle in a reasonable amount of time, and so the ice road isn't 100% worthless. With more ways to punish ice road campers through flanking from the northeast passage, suddenly pushing bridge is more viable.

How to fix Erlenberg -

Expand the middle city to encompass the entirety of the valley between the two hills. Add 2 more bridges between the three existing bridges to encourage more crossover. Keep the lovely lanes in the east with the bullshit sniping spots in G1/C0 for shitheads to play in, OR hey how about don't have a loving bush in C0 or a set of them in G1 that let loving E100s fire from 200 meters and remain unspotted?

How to fix Province -

Remove it from the game Wargaming you're chasing away new players by forcing them to play on the shittiest, most lopsided, imbalanced, unfun map.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

3002M is a perfectly fine medium. Compared to the others, it has great soft stats.

As a connoisseur of tier 6 medium tanks*, I'd say the 3002M is definitely a Good Tank. The only reason it doesn't stand out as being great is that there are just so many great T6 mediums. Which one you prefer out of the Cromwell, Easy Eight, T-34-85 and 3002M largely depends on your play style; they're all very good tanks. The 3002M is quite similar to the T-34-85 in that it's a generalist that's pretty good at everything, it just lacks the T-34-85's alpha (but gets better DPM instead). It's got good soft stats, really good pen, a big HP pool and can occasionally bounce lower tier tanks. It's sorta fat and heavy, but that's the only real downside to it. The only reason I sold it is that the Rudy exists and does the same thing better while being a premium.

* of course I need to present my credentials in the form of statwanking:
Win rates:

Average damage:

WN8:

(the t-34-85 was my very first t6, iirc)

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Aug 27, 2015

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
Wait, I just installed the enhanced visualization and I noticed... it tells me if I've been spotted without 6th sense.

Edit

This is an example of what I was talking about a long time ago. This gives me a distinct advantage, giving me for free skills people not running modded have to train.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 27, 2015

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

ZombieLenin posted:

Wait, I just installed the enhanced visualization and I noticed... it tells me if I've been spotted without 6th sense.

Edit

This is an example of what I was talking about a long time ago. This gives me a distinct advantage, giving me for free skills people not running modded have to train.

are you sure you don't actually have sixth sense

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Hellsau posted:

are you sure you don't actually have sixth sense

I do, but not at 100%, which is requirement for 6th sense to work.

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience
You sure you're not just getting the spotted ribbon that you get when you spot an enemy?

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

witchcraft

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

ZombieLenin posted:

Edit

It doesn't and you either don't understand what it's telling you or you're making it up.

Same for the guy a dozen pages back or whatever that claimed mods could tell him when unspotted tanks were aiming at him.

One of the very few things they did right with this game was making it completely server side. Your computer doesn't know where unspotted enemy tanks are (unless they fire and you see a tracer, this is what the red ball mod latches onto). Some mods definitely can give you an unfair advantage but they're not magic.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Desuwa posted:

Same for the guy a dozen pages back or whatever that claimed mods could tell him when unspotted tanks were aiming at him.

It's the same guy :ssh:

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Man dies after being run over by WWII tank on Jelly Belly chairman's property

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-tank-runs-over-man-20150824-story.html

I wonder which tank ran him over.

srb
Jul 24, 2007
Says it's an M5, so a Stuart. Apparently he was sitting on top or on the front hull somehow, and lost his balance when it crested a hill and fell in front.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Mesadoram posted:

Bold statement.

It's going to be awhile, but once I am done with the E3 and the E100 grind which line should I go down?

This is what I got so far:

SPGs: T92 - Object 261
TDs: T110E4 - Object 268
HTs: T110E5 - IS-4 - T57 Heavy - FV215b - IS-7 - AMX 50B
MTs: Bat Chatillon 25 t - M48A1 - Object 140 - AMX 30B
LT's: AMX 13-90 - T49

UK medium line?
You have all the guns unlocked (except L7) from heavy line. And you get to play the Comet. Cent7 is pretty loving great still.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Desuwa posted:

It doesn't and you either don't understand what it's telling you or you're making it up.

One of the very few things they did right with this game was making it completely server side. Your computer doesn't know where unspotted enemy tanks are (unless they fire and you see a tracer, this is what the red ball mod latches onto). Some mods definitely can give you an unfair advantage but they're not magic.

Yeah, you're right I just make this poo poo up as I go. Btw, this mod also allows you to see when and where unspotted tanks are aiming.

But I probably made that up too. I must have gone to elaborate lengths to hack YouTube time stamps, make fake videos, and hack tank blogs too pull one over on this thread! In any case, the mod I was discussing absolutely and unequivocally tells me when I'm spotted.

In all fairness to the mod, I do have 6th Sense trained--it's just that it's trained to 60%; However, unless I'm totally misinterpreting the description of that perk, and also always missing the 6th Sense indicator when playing with tank commanders with less than 100% in said skill, that is absolutely not how the perk is supposed to work.

But really, why are you getting so angry about this? Is it that you're married to the idea that mods give you no advantages over others? I mean, in a game like wot, why would you bother installing any mod if you didn't think you were getting some advantage out of it?

I'm not against that at all. I am against mods that give you a clear advantage such that you can outperform even the best pix tanks players who are running an unmodded client.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Aug 27, 2015

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

ZombieLenin posted:

I do, but not at 100%, which is requirement for 6th sense to work.

Do you have BiA? Storm or SerB mentioned that BiA can make sixth sense work if it's close to 100%

Edit: the article you linked says that you can only see where spotted tanks are aiming. It's not a complicated hack, they just add a long line to every gun model.

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Aug 27, 2015

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

ZombieLenin posted:

Yeah, you're right I just make this poo poo up as I go. Btw, this mod also allows you to see when and where unspotted tanks are aiming.

But I probably made that up too. I must have gone to elaborate lengths to hack YouTube time stamps, make fake videos, and hack tank blogs too pull one over on this thread! In any case, the mod I was discussing absolutely and unequivocally tells me when I'm spotted.

In all fairness to the mod, I do have 6th Sense trained--it's just that it's trained to 60%; However, unless I'm totally misinterpreting the description of that perk, and also always missing the 6th Sense indicator when playing with tank commanders with less than 100% in said skill, that is absolutely not how the perk is supposed to work.

But really, why are you getting so angry about this? Is it that you're married to the idea that mods give you no advantages over others? I mean, in a game like wot, why would you bother installing any mod if you didn't think you were getting some advantage out of it?

I'm not against that at all. I am against mods that give you a clear advantage such that you can outperform even the best pix tanks players who are running an unmodded client.

Neither of those links says anything about unspotted tanks, the FTR link specifically mentions how tanks have to be spotted for the laser pointer to work.

They are unfair advantages, like seeing where unspotted tanks run over obstacles or making tracers last a really long time, but they're not magic. They don't replace sixth sense because the client doesn't have that information.

E: Hell reread my previous post instead of getting so defensive of your superstition, some mods are definitely unfair and the red ball and destructible object mod are two of the worst. Both do allow you to know where an event tank was when they fire or hit an obstacle, even if you're not paying attention, but neither is magic. Definitely unfair, definitely cheating, but not magic.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Aug 27, 2015

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Ensign Expendable posted:

Do you have BiA? Storm or SerB mentioned that BiA can make sixth sense work if it's close to 100%

Edit: the article you linked says that you can only see where spotted tanks are aiming. It's not a complicated hack, they just add a long line to every gun model.

Right, I saw a video of it working with unspotted tanks somewhere. I should probably have clarified that the article was really just to back up the video.

It is easy! You're right. I'm baffled why a more experience wot player would say I'm just making poo poo up when I complained it existed.

In any case, this is all I have installed: McGavin's mod pack, which was for 9.5 and doesn't work, and the XVM extended visualization mod.

After I installed it I was told when and by how many was spotted. This was in the same way it tells you if you score a critical hit, block damage, aid an ally, deal damage, etc--a big Spotted! bar appears in the top of the screen.

Edit

I think the particular version of the laser mod I am thinking about showed aiming from unspotted tanks that were technically in your view range, but still concealed. I will try to track down the video; however, I suppose I could actually be making that part up.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Aug 27, 2015

srb
Jul 24, 2007
Those seriously sound like the new notifications. Are they green with binoculars and black/red with a tank on them?

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The pubbies are posting from inside the thread!

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I have that poo poo turned off but that sounds like the notification for when you spot an enemy tank (as in being the first one to spot it all game).

The tracer mods, some of which turn tracers into huge, long lived lasers, might be what has you confused. You can see tracers from unspotted tanks that fire, I think only if you're looking within 20 degrees of their tank (but could be wrong about that), and the cheat mod just makes them more obvious and precise.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Aug 27, 2015

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

:eyepop:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Is...is this a mod I can download for my Type 59?!?

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Cardiac posted:

UK medium line?
You have all the guns unlocked (except L7) from heavy line. And you get to play the Comet. Cent7 is pretty loving great still.

gently caress, I forgot they have a medium line :doh:.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Easy mistake to make, what with the Cents being barn-sized and about as agile.

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend
Why have Sixth Sense trained to 60%? Why not just train something useful (i.e. not a perk) to 100% and then either a) use gold to retrain to Sixth Sense or b) train beyond 100% until you can use credits to retrain to Sixth Sense? It costs what? 20k credits? That's literally one game's profit more often than not.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Prav posted:

Easy mistake to make, what with the Cents being barn-sized and about as agile.

The T10 is ok and if I remember correctly the T9 is pretty nice.

I think I am going to try to get a female crew and go up the Chinese heavy line.

Or should I save the crew for the Chinese mediums... I feel so indecisive right now :smith:

M.C. McMic posted:

Why have Sixth Sense trained to 60%? Why not just train something useful (i.e. not a perk) to 100% and then either a) use gold to retrain to Sixth Sense or b) train beyond 100% until you can use credits to retrain to Sixth Sense? It costs what? 20k credits? That's literally one game's profit more often than not.

I have a few crews in this exact situation right now, waiting for a crew sale to give them 6th sense.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

M.C. McMic posted:

Is having camo at 60% likely to earn you more XP than you are going to lose on a credits-retraining?

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend

Mesadoram posted:

I have a few crews in this exact situation right now, waiting for a crew sale to give them 6th sense.

I could see that.

pun pundit posted:

Is having camo at 60% likely to earn you more XP than you are going to lose on a credits-retraining?

Probably? I'm talking about retraining one skill. The cost is so minimal, it's more a matter of "why not?" in my opinion.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

M.C. McMic posted:

Good question. In this case I have repair at 100 already and did not want to blow the gold on the second perk. I honestly just came back to the game after 3 years and just recently figured out I could buy gold ammo and modules for credits.

Until I read your post I had no idea that I could use credits for crew re-training.

That's not the right skill order, I know, but keep in mind that when I ground this crew to a 100% skill level, the only three skills were repair, firefighting, and camo. When I came back, like I said, I didn't want to spend gold to retrain/reset.

Question: does increasing crew skill work the same and converting free XP work similarly? I.e. I can convert/spend XP on crew for credits?
If so, why bother with accelerated crew training (which almost all of my crew trainers have turned on)?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I've been playing this game a bit again after an extended hiatus and I have to ask why the hell there's so much artillery these days. I thought WG had nerfed them into the ground- were they dumb enough to buff them back up again?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

M.C. McMic posted:

Probably? I'm talking about retraining one skill. The cost is so minimal, it's more a matter of "why not?" in my opinion.
I dont like wasting crew XP by losing it by retraining with credits, and I am cheap and dont spend gold on it unless there is a sale, so I have some crews that I trained to like 95% 6th Sense because I could do it for cheap a few weekends ago.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

ZombieLenin posted:

Goddamn you are stupid.

A) You are misinterpreting Sixth Sense to the dumb ribbons you get for spotting enemy tanks. Sixth Sense throws up a lightbulb on your screen.

B) Those links are from ages ago. You used to be able to see tracers for unspotted tanks - you no longer can. You can only see tracers from artillery, and only if you're within render range of it.

C) Stop acting like some goddamn martyr, yelling towards the sky about those mean goons ignoring obvious evidence of XVM being obvious hacks. You know nothing - trust us to know more than you. Stop whining about hack mods and cheaters and XVM and other bullshit, because you literally know nothing about anything. You even went for the shithead "u mad bro" horseshit. Cut that poo poo out.

e: also I hope you aren't claiming that there are certain mods out there that let you outperform actual good players, or that the only reason people can outperform you (on of the best tanks players) is because people are just running mods that give them clear advantages over you. I'm kind of good and I don't give a poo poo what mods people are running aside from the broken poo poo on minimap one, and only in tournaments.

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Aug 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pornographic Memory
Dec 17, 2008

pun pundit posted:

Well, Sixth Sense at 60% does literally nothing for you, Camo at 60% is hard to tell the effect of without sixth sense, but it's better than nothing and on the right tanks can make a pretty huge difference if the rest of the crew has camo too.