Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Solitair posted:

I'm going to ask for recommendations here. I have a bunch of ideas for stories, but I need to be a good reader to be a good writer, and I was hoping to find other authors who worked with similar themes and ideas to see how it's done.

I want books with at least one of the following:
-Good New Weird authors other than China Mieville and Jeff VanderMeer.
-Cosmic horror stories that break away from the Lovecraft purism model in interesting ways.
-Anthologies of stories in the same world, like City of Saints and Madmen.
-Stories about regret, guilt, redemption, or falls from grace.

http://weirdfictionreview.com/ might help you with the first one. Also VanderMeer has edited a couple of Weird/New Weird anthologies that can be a key to other authors. The Fixed Stars: Thirty-Seven Emblems for the Perilous Season is pretty good.

Bob Leman is old and obscure and extremely difficult to find but he wrote really good weird fiction that had what we'd call 'Lovecraftian themes' but were his own creations. Thomas Ligotti and Laird Barron also do some cosmic horror which may or may not break from 'purism'--do you mean the use of Lovecraft's entities or the conclusion of human insignificance?

The Litany of Earth is a story about a Deep One told from a very different angle. It was pushed off the Hugo ballot this year.

Have you read the Borderlands anthologies? They're kind of held up as the best in the 'shared world anthology' vein.

And stories about regret/redemption--NK Jemisin's Inheritance Trilogy is all about that, as is Laurie Marks' Elemental Logic. It's a common theme so I'm trying to suggest things that aren't on this board's usual radar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Solitair posted:

I'm going to ask for recommendations here.
-A magical academy where a Chosen One student doesn't hog all the focus. I want to see what it's like to teach at or even run such a school.

Diana Wynne Jones' The Year of the Griffin is one of my all-time favorite fantasy stories, and it's a drat good school story to boot — and one that focuses on a magical college and means it, instead of the usual high school hijinx. The school dean is a viewpoint character too.

(It's actually a send-up of college life: the dean is incompetent, the student characters are bored out of their minds by the rigid curriculum and begin doing independent magical research, things go utterly insane. Or, in other words, what happens at normal colleges.)

You could also try Tamora Pierce's Circle of Magic Quartet, which is about a group of kids born with elemental powers (in contrast to the normal dry academic mage magic done by others in that world) who get a very practical kind of education at a temple run by people of similarly inborn magic talents. It's pretty YA, and it's more homeschooling than magic academy, but it scratched that itch for me.

Pierce has also been promising a book where one of the characters from the Quartet goes to one of the Normal Academic mage colleges for years now, but it's anyone's guess when that's coming out.

EDIT: I actually have a recc request of my own. Started watching Fear the Walking Dead and can't stop yelling at the screen about how surely someone would have done something by now about these zombies everywhere, you're all so stupid, etc. Maybe this is something for the Horror thread, but are there any books besides World War Z or Station Eleven (both awesome) where the authorities or even just ordinary civilians realistically handle a potentially apocalyptic disaster and don't instantly, permanently, fall to pieces or turn into a parody of Big Brother? Doesn't even necessarily have to be zombie-related.

Now that I think of it, I haven't read Mira Grant's Newsflesh trilogy, will give those a try.

Combed Thunderclap fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Aug 25, 2015

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

orange sky posted:

So, it doesn't fill most of the requests, but have you read the Culture books? They made me a much more imaginative thinker and some books differ completely in content and plot from others. Some are medieval, some are (almost) post-human, and all of them are great. Best series I've ever read.

I have not, but I've heard a lot about them from this thread. I didn't realize they met my needs that well, so sure, I'll make room for them.

The weird thing is, a few years ago I briefly got interested in this online worldbuilding project called Orion's Arm. I thought it was really unique and like nothing I'd ever seen before, but now that I know what The Culture is, I know where OA got the idea for hyper-advanced AIs running intergalactic civilizations.

occamsnailfile posted:

Bob Leman is old and obscure and extremely difficult to find but he wrote really good weird fiction that had what we'd call 'Lovecraftian themes' but were his own creations. Thomas Ligotti and Laird Barron also do some cosmic horror which may or may not break from 'purism'--do you mean the use of Lovecraft's entities or the conclusion of human insignificance?

The Litany of Earth is a story about a Deep One told from a very different angle. It was pushed off the Hugo ballot this year.

Thank you for giving me the link to The Litany of Earth. I actually read this story months ago and loved it, but forgot what it was called and where to find it.

To answer your question, the reason I want to stray from the Lovecraftian dogma on cosmic horror is because I found out just how much of a racist Lovecraft was. So since he wrote from that perspective, and people have attributed the Cthulhu mythos's success to Lovecraft exploiting his readers' xenophobia, I wanted to see if anyone could give it a less offensive spin on the ideas of the genre. Another thing I wondered is that why, if the eldritch beings of the mythos are beyond good and evil who don't think of humanity and are supposedly beyond human comprehension, why are they so often portrayed as active, malevolent predators of the human race? This seems like a contradiction to me.

I'm pretty sure I don't mean the use of the specific entities in the Cthulhu mythos. I'm fine with stories like Eternal Darkness that make up their own entities. The conclusion I wanted to draw on human insignificance would be closest to the "Rixty Minutes" episode of Rick and Morty or the Bleak Academy from Planescape: Nobody exists for a reason, nobody really belongs anywhere, and we're all going to die, but that can be liberating instead of depressing if you're in the right mindset.

Edit: Now that I think about it, the way Miss Marsh from Litany describes her religion is also a good example of what I want from that last question.

occamsnailfile posted:

Have you read the Borderlands anthologies? They're kind of held up as the best in the 'shared world anthology' vein.

I'm going to assume you mean the ones by Thomas F. Monteleone and not tie-ins to Gearbox's video games?

Solitair fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Aug 25, 2015

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Robot Wendigo posted:

I admit to having been slightly interested in the Monster Hunter books because I (mistakenly) thought they would be along the lines of Richard Kadrey's Sandman Slim series. But after listening to Larry Correia on a podcast, I was quickly disavowed both of that belief and of the need to read anything he wrote.
I read one and part of another. It is literally The World's Most Texan American Gets Drafted Into The Most Special Special Forces Unit Ever To Fight Monsters - Because He Likes Guns A Whole Lot.

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

I just got through reading Bios by Robert Anton Winston. It's very good, but thematically incredibly similar to Axis. His prose is getting better and I like the shift to a more small-scale intimate story. It's just kinda of annoying that again that the antagonist is some grandiose, world-spanning vague unknown that turns out to be a gigantic alien consciousness that has no ill-will towards humanity, but is so very different from us that its attempts to communicate with us end up being fatal. The climax is the protagonist having their body colonised by something physical (crystals in Axis, fungus/bacteria in Bios) that allows them a link with the grand consciousness but also ends up killing them while they spout a big monologue to an ancillary character about how everything in the universe is connected and it's so beautiful.
If you'd taken as many hallucinogens as RAW you'd end every novel with a "we are all one" deus ex machina, as well. RAW actually too so many drugs that saw The Green Man while he was sober.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Aug 25, 2015

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Solitair posted:

I'm going to assume you mean the ones by Thomas F. Monteleone and not tie-ins to Gearbox's video games?

Yes, the Monteleone ones, very much.

Also re: Lovecrafty things, a lot of modern authors working within and without the explicit mythos manage to avoid Lovecraft's foibles with race while managing existential horror. Not all of the mythos creatures are completely beyond human comprehension and some of them are intimately connected to humanity (Dagon, depending on interpretation) but humanity is at the bottom of the cosmic ladder so we are generally the mice to their owls, so to speak. Also a lot of things that worship or serve mythos powers may prey on humanity while their masters are really uninterested.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I don't recall The Hive being particularly racist, offhand.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

coyo7e posted:

If you'd taken as many hallucinogens as RAW you'd end every novel with a "we are all one" deus ex machina, as well. RAW actually too so many drugs that saw The Green Man while he was sober.

Pretty sure he's actually talking Robert Charles Wilson here.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Diana Wynne Jones' The Year of the Griffin is one of my all-time favorite fantasy stories, and it's a drat good school story to boot — and one that focuses on a magical college and means it, instead of the usual high school hijinx. The school dean is a viewpoint character too.

(It's actually a send-up of college life: the dean is incompetent, the student characters are bored out of their minds by the rigid curriculum and begin doing independent magical research, things go utterly insane. Or, in other words, what happens at normal colleges.)

You could also try Tamora Pierce's Circle of Magic Quartet, which is about a group of kids born with elemental powers (in contrast to the normal dry academic mage magic done by others in that world) who get a very practical kind of education at a temple run by people of similarly inborn magic talents. It's pretty YA, and it's more homeschooling than magic academy, but it scratched that itch for me.

Pierce has also been promising a book where one of the characters from the Quartet goes to one of the Normal Academic mage colleges for years now, but it's anyone's guess when that's coming out.

EDIT: I actually have a recc request of my own. Started watching Fear the Walking Dead and can't stop yelling at the screen about how surely someone would have done something by now about these zombies everywhere, you're all so stupid, etc. Maybe this is something for the Horror thread, but are there any books besides World War Z or Station Eleven (both awesome) where the authorities or even just ordinary civilians realistically handle a potentially apocalyptic disaster and don't instantly, permanently, fall to pieces or turn into a parody of Big Brother? Doesn't even necessarily have to be zombie-related.

Now that I think of it, I haven't read Mira Grant's Newsflesh trilogy, will give those a try.

Day by Day Armageddon series is kinda cool. The main guy is a marine or something though (been a while since I read em) but it follows the whole "Whoops, oh poo poo" part to "Oh, drat, world's been overrun" and even includes what happens to the zombies when people decide to try and nuke em, etc.

The Ex Heroes series is pretty good as well. It's a mishmash of superhero comic book and zombie apocalypse. Fairly decent reads.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

occamsnailfile posted:

I really hope they manage to pass the E Pluribus Hugo thing. It won't take effect until...well, Finland but it at least seems very likely to mitigate 'slate' tactics from anybody.

I am also completely unsurprised that a bunch of middle class white (or mostly white) christian males decided their merit was so self evident and the only way it could have failed to win recognition was conspiracy.

Seriously, the puppy stuff I have read was basically terrible to mediocre. They couldn't even pick a good comic to push on the ballot (Fables? Bill Willingham is a fellow traveler of theirs). Marko Kloos deserves respect for choosing to withdraw, but having read part of his book, I wouldn't ever list it as one of the best five books written in a year either. I haven't read Butcher and that might be the sole exception, though he's also popular on his own without their clique.

Butcher's stuff is basically just him narrating a bad World of Darkness LARP he played in the 1990's anyway. You're not missing much.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Day by Day Armageddon series is kinda cool. The main guy is a marine or something though (been a while since I read em) but it follows the whole "Whoops, oh poo poo" part to "Oh, drat, world's been overrun" and even includes what happens to the zombies when people decide to try and nuke em, etc.

The Ex Heroes series is pretty good as well. It's a mishmash of superhero comic book and zombie apocalypse. Fairly decent reads.

Thanks for the reccs! I'll check it out.

Also the Newsflesh series seriously rocks, I can't believe I ignored it for so long. It's not exactly unpredictable, but at least the setting seems pretty accurate (Things Go Crazy Paranoid and Bunker-Crazy, not All Human Civilization Returns to Warlording/Agriculture).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

boom boom boom posted:

Holy poo poo, John Carter and Dejah Thoris's kid is named Carthoris? That is the stupidest loving thing I've ever heard. And people give Twilight poo poo for the made up baby name, but it's a million times better than Carthoris, oh my god.

Evidently nobody told Edgar Rice Burroughs not to put the Cart before the Horis.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

Evidently nobody told Edgar Rice Burroughs not to put the Cart before the Horis.

Well done sir :golfclap:

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Not a big zombie guy but I liked the Ex heroes series as well. I'll also recommend the Remaining series. Standard zombie set up but the protagonist is part of a govt program that puts special forces into bunkers during possible apocalypse events. His mission is to help civilization rebuild by rescuing survivors and helping them re establish society. He's definitely a bad rear end when he has to fight but he does his best to avoid conflict. I thought that was enough of a fresh twist on the genre that I read through the series. The action is really intense and well written as well.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
I wasn't a huge fan of Ex-Heros, because the main character is incredibly bland and forgettable and the rationale behind the series' female batman epixy dressing as she does is just the dumbest bullshit ever.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST

I liked Day by Day, but I'm going to make a separate recommendation: "The Remaining" series by DJ Molles

The Remaining is pretty awesome for a number of reasons - despite it being a mil sf storyline it keeps the gun wankery very low, and the hero gets his rear end kicked on a regular basis and makes really bad judgement calls and then has to overcome. The zombies are the 28 Days type instead of World War Z, so your suspension of disbelief isn't as bad.

The last book in the series came out last month, so you can binge through the entire list in a week or two.

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Thanks for the reccs! I'll check it out.

Also the Newsflesh series seriously rocks, I can't believe I ignored it for so long. It's not exactly unpredictable, but at least the setting seems pretty accurate (Things Go Crazy Paranoid and Bunker-Crazy, not All Human Civilization Returns to Warlording/Agriculture).

I feel the love for this. I'm a military journalist and the Newsflesh Trilogy just hits so many of my pleasure centers that it's ridiculous.

Don't forget her Parasitology series as well. (She's already released 2 of a planned 3.)

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Daryl Gregory's Raising Stony Mayhall is a great, original zombie novel that doesn't have society just quickly collapsing or completely dying out at all. In the novel's world, Romero's Night of the Living Dead was actually a documentary of the first big zombie outbreak, after which American governments were in a bit of chaos, but regrouped and maintained order with more authoritarian policies/treatment, especially towards zombies, who held onto various levels of consciousness after their initial turnings' berserker freakouts. It's also a really good, original, and evocative coming of age story told from a zombie boy's POV.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

FastestGunAlive posted:

Not a big zombie guy but I liked the Ex heroes series as well. I'll also recommend the Remaining series. Standard zombie set up but the protagonist is part of a govt program that puts special forces into bunkers during possible apocalypse events. His mission is to help civilization rebuild by rescuing survivors and helping them re establish society. He's definitely a bad rear end when he has to fight but he does his best to avoid conflict. I thought that was enough of a fresh twist on the genre that I read through the series. The action is really intense and well written as well.

sky shark posted:

I liked Day by Day, but I'm going to make a separate recommendation: "The Remaining" series by DJ Molles

The Remaining is pretty awesome for a number of reasons - despite it being a mil sf storyline it keeps the gun wankery very low, and the hero gets his rear end kicked on a regular basis and makes really bad judgement calls and then has to overcome. The zombies are the 28 Days type instead of World War Z, so your suspension of disbelief isn't as bad.

The last book in the series came out last month, so you can binge through the entire list in a week or two.

This actually sounds like something I might read, I tend to avoid zombie apocalypse/post apocalypse fiction because a lot of them are either gun wankfests/doomsday prepper wankfests with giant douchebag mary sue self-insert protagonists with zero empathy, or are just super depressing and everybody dies because it was totally hopeless from page 1.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Aug 26, 2015

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
I propose that Shi Qiang is the best character ever.

Also, has a book ever had so many twists and turns? My God.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Dark Forest was so good. I just finished it and loved it.

I agree that the only weak point was when Luo Ji first awakened underground. The sophon block was kind of a clever excuse to be able to make a future 250 years from now that was more like 'golden-age' sci-fi. No nanotechnology, no singularity, etc. It was ALMOST kind of refreshing in the sense that most modern sci-fi really struggles with these things if it doesn't make them a focal point of the story. Revelation Space has the melding plague and a pretty goofy ban on high-level AI, for instance, and while the melding plague was an elegant solution, the "We don't make smart AI" wasn't believable to me. The sophon block was totally believable, but the underground cities felt like a bit much.

The main issue though was the pacing interrupt from the time jump. The robots and poo poo trying to kill Luo Ji was really boring, and the hibernators being in so many ways smarter and better than the modern people kind of got tiring.

These issues aside, I LOVED this book. I feel it was just as good as Book 1, and had fewer pacing problems than it as well. Book 1 took so long to get going, and the in-game scenes honestly kind of dragged at times. Everyone loved the cultural revolution scenes, but they felt a bit too long and bloated to me for what they accomplished. In Dark Forest, aside from the minor pacing issue I had when Luo Ji first woke up, everything else was just really gripping and had great pacing. The concept of wallfacers was really loving cool, and seeing each wallfacer's plan unfold was super fun.

The arrogant spacefleet getting almost entirely destroyed by a probe was great and built up to just about perfectly.

The explanation for the fermi paradox was great. I find it way way better than the Revelation Space/Mass Effect version of some race that just destroys every civilization immediately. The coolest thing, ~as a writer~, was how Liu wove together the fermi paradox explanation with a 'victory' over what was shown to otherwise be a completely unstoppable enemy. But he did it in a way that didn't feel cheap. I almost started to believe the future humans that they've surpassed the Trisolarans, but in the back of my mind I'm realizing that they made the sophons, and that is so much more advanced than even where the humans had come. Having the probe destroy the entire fleet is such a good 'show' for "The Trisolarans are so much more advanced that it really is hopeless," and then having Luo Ji earn a victory over them that doesn't feel at all like deus ex machina.

angel opportunity fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Aug 26, 2015

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007

Solitair posted:

I'm going to ask for recommendations here. I have a bunch of ideas for stories, but I need to be a good reader to be a good writer, and I was hoping to find other authors who worked with similar themes and ideas to see how it's done.

I want books with at least one of the following:
-More worlds like Urth from Book of the New Sun, The Night Land, Bas-Lag, Ambergris, Fallen London, , or the ones in Tormentum: Dark Sorrow or From Software's Souls games.
-By the same token, a world with inventive races distinct from elves, dwarves etc. that aren't in a planet of the hats scenario (a homogenous, interchangeable group).
-Stories about regret, guilt, redemption, or falls from grace.
The "A Land Fit For Heroes" trilogy by Richard Morgan. Please everybody please read A Land Fit For Heroes and talk with me about how utterly out there and amazing they are. 3 books of The Broken Sword hopped up on meth, explicit gay love-scenes and grimdark. Dwarves are immortal black time-travellers. Elves are monstrous beautiful immortal dimension-hopping wizards. Every character is horrible but compelling to follow.

Suggest against rushing through them though because Morgan's tone loving grates if you expose yourself to too much of it. Dude is allergic to smiling.

Solitair posted:

-Something with a culture like something from the real world's Renaissance era, though not necessarily an Italian-inspired one. I specifically want to get a feel for period dialogue that strikes a balance between being authentic and easy to read.
I thought Joe Abercrombie's "Best Served Cold" was a masterful alternative renaissance Italy. Also if you have not yet read all of Abercrombie's work you could improve your life noticeably by doing so.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

Evfedu posted:

Also if you have not yet read all of Abercrombie's work you could improve your life noticeably by doing so.

:whitewater:

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Good for Paul Michael Glaser for getting some modelling work.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Speaking of Death Stars humblebundle has a bunch of Star Wars Audiobooks in their book bundle this week. Mark Hamill and Billy Dee Williams are doing the narration so I'm guessing they are cool. https://www.humblebundle.com/books

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

General Emergency posted:

Speaking of Death Stars humblebundle has a bunch of Star Wars Audiobooks in their book bundle this week. Mark Hamill and Billy Dee Williams are doing the narration so I'm guessing they are cool. https://www.humblebundle.com/books

Those radio dramas are excellent. I used to have them on cassette (12 per episode, iirc). Those three alone are worth the money.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Billy Dee Williams should narrate every book

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

FastestGunAlive posted:

Billy Dee Williams should narrate every book life.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Recently finished The Traitor by Michael Cisco. What a read. Weird, dark, intense and almost like a fever-dream at times, uncanny throughout. Going to read more by this author as soon as possible. Just gotta finish Uprooted first and maybe indulge in that Dinosaur Lords thing before, just to cleanse the palette.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

sky shark posted:

I've caught a few scraps of this as well as skimmed through the most recent book. It seems to play the "Hard, Strong men make Hard but Right decisions" card pretty heavily, right down to having a "Civilian love interest doesn't understand all these hard decisions needed to survive" subplot. Are the rest of the books not like this, or what?

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Solitair posted:

A story that makes good use of tarot symbolism on a level that isn't just surface.

The Malazan books popped into mind. It's not the Tarot but it hews pretty close.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Robot Wendigo posted:

The Malazan books popped into mind. It's not the Tarot but it hews pretty close.

I guess? It would help if I knew the full structure of Malazan's equivalent to a tarot deck, instead of just being introduced to the cards when they're symbolically relevant.

Then again, I've only read Gardens of the Moon. I thought it had problems and was frustrated with it at first, but after reading The Eye of the World it doesn't seem so bad anymore. I liked some ideas in it, and I thought Tattersail and Anomander Rake were cool.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST

Mars4523 posted:

I've caught a few scraps of this as well as skimmed through the most recent book. It seems to play the "Hard, Strong men make Hard but Right decisions" card pretty heavily, right down to having a "Civilian love interest doesn't understand all these hard decisions needed to survive" subplot. Are the rest of the books not like this, or what?

Honestly love interests don't really show up except for one particularly memorable one that plays into the bad and dumb decisions thing I mentioned earlier. If you are expecting depth this probably isn't the series for you, but I found the portrayals of how people interact in bad situations to be extremely accurate.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Just started The Name Of The Wind after five years of hearing how great Rothfuss is. Granted, it's not great that I went in with high expectations, nor that I came from the pointedness of Joe Abercrombie's writing, but goddamn, who spends an entire giant first page describing an absence of sound?!

Overuse of "he said [adjective]ly" after every goddamn line of dialogue - also a concern. But the first Chronicler chapter was pretty enjoyable and by the second, things are actually happening. The writing is starting to remind me of Lies of Locke Lamora a little bit. It's good in places, but man, reading that intro was like wading through treacle. I hope the book doesn't go back to that sort of thing.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

VagueRant posted:

Just started The Name Of The Wind after five years of hearing how great Rothfuss is. Granted, it's not great that I went in with high expectations, nor that I came from the pointedness of Joe Abercrombie's writing, but goddamn, who spends an entire giant first page describing an absence of sound?!

Overuse of "he said [adjective]ly" after every goddamn line of dialogue - also a concern. But the first Chronicler chapter was pretty enjoyable and by the second, things are actually happening. The writing is starting to remind me of Lies of Locke Lamora a little bit. It's good in places, but man, reading that intro was like wading through treacle. I hope the book doesn't go back to that sort of thing.

There's a thread to discuss the works of Patrick Rothfuss here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3365216

Personally, I found his writing passable without being great. There's some neat things hidden in the text that you probably only get through careful rereading the books though. Also, having chapters where little happens is a recurring problems in both books of the trilogy.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Just do yourself a favor and don't read the second book.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
Or do and then come back to us with your impressions.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Yea, gently caress it. If I had to suffer through that crap other people do as well.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Yea, gently caress it. If I had to suffer through that crap other people do as well.

The second book is just more of the same with the flaws of the first book ramped up.

Now if this was about the Slow Regard of Silent Things, I would understand.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Solitair posted:

I guess? It would help if I knew the full structure of Malazan's equivalent to a tarot deck, instead of just being introduced to the cards when they're symbolically relevant.

Then again, I've only read Gardens of the Moon.

Which is why you don't know that the full structure of the Deck is given at the start of several of the other books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

angel opportunity posted:

Dark Forest was so good. I just finished it and loved it.

I agree that the only weak point was when Luo Ji first awakened underground. The sophon block was kind of a clever excuse to be able to make a future 250 years from now that was more like 'golden-age' sci-fi. No nanotechnology, no singularity, etc. It was ALMOST kind of refreshing in the sense that most modern sci-fi really struggles with these things if it doesn't make them a focal point of the story. Revelation Space has the melding plague and a pretty goofy ban on high-level AI, for instance, and while the melding plague was an elegant solution, the "We don't make smart AI" wasn't believable to me. The sophon block was totally believable, but the underground cities felt like a bit much.

The main issue though was the pacing interrupt from the time jump. The robots and poo poo trying to kill Luo Ji was really boring, and the hibernators being in so many ways smarter and better than the modern people kind of got tiring.

These issues aside, I LOVED this book. I feel it was just as good as Book 1, and had fewer pacing problems than it as well. Book 1 took so long to get going, and the in-game scenes honestly kind of dragged at times. Everyone loved the cultural revolution scenes, but they felt a bit too long and bloated to me for what they accomplished. In Dark Forest, aside from the minor pacing issue I had when Luo Ji first woke up, everything else was just really gripping and had great pacing. The concept of wallfacers was really loving cool, and seeing each wallfacer's plan unfold was super fun.

The arrogant spacefleet getting almost entirely destroyed by a probe was great and built up to just about perfectly.

The explanation for the fermi paradox was great. I find it way way better than the Revelation Space/Mass Effect version of some race that just destroys every civilization immediately. The coolest thing, ~as a writer~, was how Liu wove together the fermi paradox explanation with a 'victory' over what was shown to otherwise be a completely unstoppable enemy. But he did it in a way that didn't feel cheap. I almost started to believe the future humans that they've surpassed the Trisolarans, but in the back of my mind I'm realizing that they made the sophons, and that is so much more advanced than even where the humans had come. Having the probe destroy the entire fleet is such a good 'show' for "The Trisolarans are so much more advanced that it really is hopeless," and then having Luo Ji earn a victory over them that doesn't feel at all like deus ex machina.

But if the Inhibitors don't destroy all emerging interstellar capable races, how else will they be able to usher us through the galactic collision with Andromeda billions of year in the future?