Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
bad baduk in the uk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Bad UK Movies

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy

what is the best way to respond to this kind of invasion? i thought i remembered something from attack and defense about being able to kill this when strong on both sides like that. so i did diagonal move from the right side and ended up getting myself killed :/

whats the best response in this situation?

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

o.m. 94 posted:

Bad UK Moves

sup oiseaux

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

uranus posted:

what is the best way to respond to this kind of invasion? i thought i remembered something from attack and defense about being able to kill this when strong on both sides like that. so i did diagonal move from the right side and ended up getting myself killed :/

Why can't you cap and contain?

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
yeah i guess something like this would have been okay. but i thought i could kill it for some reason.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

uranus posted:

yeah i guess something like this would have been okay. but i thought i could kill it for some reason.

This isn't okay because you're butchering your stone on the right. Maybe connect underneath with an attachment or jump out?

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

House Louse posted:

sup oiseaux

ill beat you whenever

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

I finally beat Xom by 5.5 in an even game and he had full komi. (Result says 2.5 but we forgot a stone). :toot:

It never ceases to amaze me how one slow move can turn the tide and direction of a game from in your favour to even, or from even to a losing game.

AdorableStar fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Aug 29, 2015

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
I just learned how to play Go and downloaded a program called PandaGo and was destroyed by a 10 year old Taiwanese child who then had his dad play me with a 9 stone handicap and I lost again and then the dad showed me how to play a little better. This game is hard and I resolve to get better so that the poor innocent father and son will have not wasted their time in helping me.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z4iw8Ppo1o

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

apropos to nothing posted:

I just learned how to play Go and downloaded a program called PandaGo and was destroyed by a 10 year old Taiwanese child who then had his dad play me with a 9 stone handicap and I lost again and then the dad showed me how to play a little better. This game is hard and I resolve to get better so that the poor innocent father and son will have not wasted their time in helping me.

Have mercy on your soul. Join ITGO

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
Can someone let me into ITGO again? (KGS username dirby)

dirby fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Aug 29, 2015

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

dirby posted:

Can someone let me into ITGO again? (KGS username dirby)

Prodigious
May 6, 2007
On an epic quest to find spiky rocks to upgrade my club

uranus posted:

Just jump up at K5 probably, there is no effective way to attack that stone.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

It's really helpful for problems that aren't clear cut L&D to post the whole board btw

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

uranus posted:

Locally? E2. It's too early to attack.

This needs the whole board though to say for sure

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
here is the whole board, but i think the answer im getting is that the stone can't really be attacked. i wonder what situation i was thinking of where you could attack. e2 does look pretty nice..

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Holy poo poo yes e2 looks definitely nice now.

Shadonra
Oct 16, 2012
Could someone let me into ITGO when they get the chance? My KGS usernames are Str1fe and midorisuke.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Shadonra posted:

Could someone let me into ITGO when they get the chance? My KGS usernames are Str1fe and midorisuke.

Nice 3d and 4d accounts. Added

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
my oldest game on ogs FINALLY ENDED after 11 months and only 50 moves, a moderator finally decided in my favor so the drat tournament could continue to the next round.

the 'vacation' system is really dumb on ogs. for one, i think it shouldnt turn itself on automatically, so that this kind of situation doesnt happen. all the time. also its way too much time. 4 weeks? and it refills way too fast too.

oh well, glad i dont have to look at that in my games list anymore.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
god its even worse, i have 8 weeks of 'vacation' meaning i can just disappear for 2 months without playing a move.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Correspondance games suck rear end.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

AdorableStar posted:

Correspondance games suck rear end.

I need to get off my rear end and play live go. I tend to get anxious about starting live matches so I've started playing correspondence. What's nice is I get way more daily exposure to go than if I had tried to convince myself to play a live match every day, but with the correspondence games I feel too "played out" to start a live match.

Surprisingly, I actually do feel stronger from a couple months of playing only correspondence, but I resolve to not start any new correspondence matches after my current ones are over so I can commit to live play.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
this seems bad but i didnt know how to respond.

i ended up playing at j3 but i feel i should have got a much better result some other way. what would you do?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

D4?

IMlemon
Dec 29, 2008

uranus posted:

this seems bad but i didnt know how to respond.

i ended up playing at j3 but i feel i should have got a much better result some other way. what would you do?

Since black didn't care to come out of the corner like usual, how about q6 to seal him in?

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

IMlemon posted:

Since black didn't care to come out of the corner like usual, how about q6 to seal him in?

Yeah, either q6 or r5. I don't know if r5 applies in this shape

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Someone buy and name it ITGO

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

R5, Q4, Q5, atari, connect, P6, FIGHT

What black played is too close, normally you'd go k4 because of the nice follow-up move of M3. White should have the advantage in this fight because of that

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i tricked someone into resigning, and feel a bit bad about it, though im not sure why, since my objective in the area was that he'd make a mistake and i'd live somehow. if he had actually made the mistake and i lived, then i wouldnt feel too bad, but he only made the mistake in his head and resigned because of it, some how that makes me feel like i stole the game. i guess because if he had tried to resign in person i probably would have stopped him.

oh well. here is the move he resigned on, though you can see i'm clearly dead:

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

uranus posted:

i tricked someone into resigning, and feel a bit bad about it, though im not sure why, since my objective in the area was that he'd make a mistake and i'd live somehow. if he had actually made the mistake and i lived, then i wouldnt feel too bad, but he only made the mistake in his head and resigned because of it, some how that makes me feel like i stole the game. i guess because if he had tried to resign in person i probably would have stopped him.

Are you sure you're dead? I can't open a window to test my theory, but I figured
Q12
P12
O14
R12
Q14
connect
S12 - white's two groups die

e. misread, thought you were black. Yeah, as white you're boned. You feel that guilt! Wear it!

Pander fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Sep 2, 2015

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

uranus posted:

Maybe instead of reading Q12 P12 Q14 he thought he'd have to save the Q12 stone for some stupid reason and then it'd be 2 to 2 liberties and you win.

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
Ran across this interesting site recently. It is supposed to analyze the style and strength of your games - as long as you play on KGS you can plug in your username and it will pull your last 40 games and analyze them.

http://gostyle.j2m.cz/webapp.html

Not sure how accurate it is because it put me at ~2d when my kgs rank is 2k. However the "style" portion of it (territory vs moyo, aggressive vs passive...) seemed to be spot on for me.

Shadonra
Oct 16, 2012
The "moves you play too much, moves you don't play enough" part of that site is actually really useful for me. My page, if you're interested:
http://gostyle.j2m.cz/WAPP_RES/279a9aca-563a-47bf-92ce-1dce774fb4cb/

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

I want to see how it rates 40 - vs - games because I swear the confidence interval is pulled out of its rear end. I.e, the interval is always the same and it can pick the centre number from looking at your rank and results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009

AdorableStar posted:

I want to see how it rates 40 - vs - games because I swear the confidence interval is pulled out of its rear end. I.e, the interval is always the same and it can pick the centre number from looking at your rank and results.

It must have some algorithm that chooses the center though. My 40 games were all around 2k -1k (with one game at [1d?]), but it ranked me as 3d actually.

Edit: my profile here - http://gostyle.j2m.cz/WAPP_RES/c39d72e1-6895-465a-a265-79ddac1ce431/

ThePineapple fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Sep 4, 2015