Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

StashAugustine posted:

I know a guy who insists that the robber making you lose cards in Catan is unfun so he never plays with it

:what: What happens on a 7 then? Maybe board games are not for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Well you still steal one but you don't discard if you're over 7 or whatever in hand

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Big McHuge posted:

I got into an argument with my friend last night over Ticket To Ride of all things. He said that he refuses to play with people who hoard train cards, and that it makes the game miserable for people who don't follow that strategy. I said that it was a silly point of view and to back up his claim with some facts, since someone who hoards train cards isn't bogging the game down or really affecting anyone, and that in fact it's a perfectly legitimate strategy that a significant portion of people use after they've played the game more than once. His counter was that not only should he not be called to back up his opinion with facts since it's just an opinion, but that people shouldn't be putting that much strategic effort into such a simple game.

At that point my brain just shut down and I don't recall how the rest of the argument went, but he ended up taking a walk and sitting in a corner reading the rest of the night while the rest of us played games. Normally he's got ok opinions on games and he's a pretty smart guy, but sometimes he turns into an obstinate old man.

I did get a 2 player game of Barony in though, and it felt a lot more chess-like, which is good, but I still think the resource tokens need to be hidden.

I'm sure it's not the reason he was arguing against it but the train deck only has a dozen tickets of each color in it, and 14 wild cards, so holding onto a bunch can artificially limit the supply and ability to use a color, since used ones don't get shuffled back in until the deck is empty.

It is dumb though because seriously who cares. Its just easier to hold onto a shitload of tickets and see how the paths work for you.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Crackbone posted:

I justdon't see how hoarding cards in TTR qualifies.

Sorry, I don't think I was being clear. I was just commenting in general, not specifically about TTR. I've never played TTR so I really have no idea if its dominant strategies are aggravating or even what those strategies would be.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

StashAugustine posted:

Well you still steal one but you don't discard if you're over 7 or whatever in hand

It sounds to me like he subconsciouly just wants the game to loving end, which is my very conscious desire whenever I find myself in a Catan game.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Big McHuge posted:

I got into an argument with my friend last night over Ticket To Ride of all things. He said that he refuses to play with people who hoard train cards, and that it makes the game miserable for people who don't follow that strategy. I said that it was a silly point of view and to back up his claim with some facts, since someone who hoards train cards isn't bogging the game down or really affecting anyone, and that in fact it's a perfectly legitimate strategy that a significant portion of people use after they've played the game more than once. His counter was that not only should he not be called to back up his opinion with facts since it's just an opinion, but that people shouldn't be putting that much strategic effort into such a simple game.

At that point my brain just shut down and I don't recall how the rest of the argument went, but he ended up taking a walk and sitting in a corner reading the rest of the night while the rest of us played games. Normally he's got ok opinions on games and he's a pretty smart guy, but sometimes he turns into an obstinate old man.

I did get a 2 player game of Barony in though, and it felt a lot more chess-like, which is good, but I still think the resource tokens need to be hidden.

Wait, what? And he just took a walk and sat in a corner and read? Is he a roommate or something?

The only time Ticket To Ride makes me upset is when somebody makes me play it.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Chomp8645 posted:

People try to identify winning strategies??? And then pursue them? IN A GAME!?!?!?

Well I never!

if you do it wrong it's not even a winning strategy. sure you got that one giant section of track over there, but me and my friends bought up all the little routes that connect the two halves of the country wait that would mean you can't make any ticket connections using those tiny routes we built while you were living in your hoarder house of train cards and cat pee WHOOPS.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
When are they gonna make Ticket To Ride Tokyo Edition

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Crackbone posted:

(classic example: land destruction in MtG).

This is the correct way to play MtG. It pisses people off so much because it points out a flaw in the game design and uses it against them.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Even cheekier than land destruction is land return. Turn 2 pop a Boomerang on that land. If you went first then on your third turn you have three lands and they have one gg.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Why is stockpiling train cards an annoying strategy to everyone else?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Cocks Cable posted:

Why is stockpiling train cards an annoying strategy to everyone else?

It's not

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Wait, what? And he just took a walk and sat in a corner and read? Is he a roommate or something?

The only time Ticket To Ride makes me upset is when somebody makes me play it.

We have a set of friends who generously host a weekly game night at their house and we get about 3 or 4 games going at a time. Normally in this case he would have pouted and left, but ironically his GF was there and playing Ticket to Ride.

For the record, I don't mind TTR at all and while it's not my all time favorite, it's almost a go-to game for sitting around and BSing without having to concentrate and without playing trash-tier level poo poo.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Bottom Liner posted:

This is the correct way to play MtG. It pisses people off so much because it points out a flaw in the game design and uses it against them.

Sorry the only correct way to play Magic is winning via skipping every turn with Chronotog.

Glacial Chasm: Land that reduces any damage to you to 0, but you have to pay life every turn to keep it around.
Mana Vortex: Each player has to destroy one of their lands each turn.
Chronotog: Allows you to skip your next turn.

That's the core of it, you can add in other annoying poo poo as you desire. What's great is that no one actually uses those cards, so it takes them several turns to realize how hosed they are.

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

It'll be like a real doll that moves around and talks and stuff!
Not really a fan of Ticket to Ride myself. Last time I played, I pissed my cousin off so bad she said she'd never play it with me again. So bonus? I finished up the routes I started with and drew more to pick from, but couldn't finish any with the trains I had left. So instead I picked the one with the least negative points and then since she was in the lead, I used my trains to block off the obvious route she was going for...several times. In the end she got quite a few negative points for not being able to complete that route and I won, even with my negative route. Oh and also she didn't get longest train since I blocked her down the middle. "You don't play it that way" You do if you want to win.

Anyway, CSI has Quantum on sale today. I'm not a huge fan of dice based games, but it does look pretty good. Worth it?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

QnoisX posted:

"You don't play it that way" You do if you want to win.

There really are two types of people. Those that have that happen and never want to play again and those that want to play again immediately.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

QnoisX posted:

Anyway, CSI has Quantum on sale today. I'm not a huge fan of dice based games, but it does look pretty good. Worth it?

Quantum is an awesome game and the dice are used in a pretty unique and interesting way.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I know someone who is un-fun to play TTR with because she has utterly mastered the game.
She has played hundreds of times on the mobile app and knows the destination cards well enough that she can pretty accurately suss out what destination cards are in everybody's hands after their first 2 or 3 plays.
I will probably never play that game enough to learn all the route combinations to make strategic choices in that dimension.

It's like playing Top Trumps against Gareth from The Office.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
It looked like there was some interest in Dark Moon the other day, so I went ahead and set up a thing. I figured some people may want to try it if it's on their watch list or give people that have played BSG to death a chance to try something new.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Quantum is a solid short game that has some very swingy cards, but ends very quickly once people actually get a hold of them. This would be irritating, but the game length is just so that you can play multiple full games in a night.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

signalnoise posted:

When are they gonna make Ticket To Ride Tokyo Edition

The Shinkansen is heresy to the European, Victorian steam train nostalgia masses

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

Huxley posted:

There really are two types of people. Those that have that happen and never want to play again and those that want to play again immediately.

I think it was mostly just directed at me. She owns the game and plays it alot with her sister's kids. I guess they don't have the killer instinct to go for the throat.

Big McHuge posted:

Quantum is an awesome game and the dice are used in a pretty unique and interesting way.

The End posted:

Quantum is a solid short game that has some very swingy cards, but ends very quickly once people actually get a hold of them. This would be irritating, but the game length is just so that you can play multiple full games in a night.

Thanks, guys. I'm trying to get someone else from the gaming group to buy it right now, but considering it myself too.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Chaos in the Old World chat: does anyone have a good plan for removing the battle dice from the game, or at least radically reducing their randomness? I dearly love the game but get frustrated time and again with how Khorne goes up and down.

Paper Clip Death
Feb 4, 2010

A hero in the anals of Trivia.

I'm looking for some suggestions for light-to-medium games to play with my group of friends (eight to ten people, splitting the group isn't a problem).

Some background: We used to play games (computer and board) a lot during high school and a year or two after that. Of the board variety, the ones I remember us playing the most were Carcassonne, Munchkin and Arkham Horror (I know, I know), AH being the most popular one. A couple of days ago I was discussing the aforementioned games with a friend and we agreed that neither of us enjoys those games anymore - especially Munchkin. (Ironically, another friend recently bought a bunch of expansions for it - forgive him, goons, for he knows not what he is doing.) We agreed further that we need to find and introduce other games, so as not to be subjected to that insufferable game any longer as well as to have fun playing board games again.

Nowadays my friends and I are living our adult lives all over the place and we only really get together a couple of times a year for a weekend - the game(s) therefore shouldn't take overly long (looking at you, Arkham) and should preferably be relatively quick to teach. If it's playable while slightly intoxicated, that's a big plus! (Also, regarding bluffing games, I like the idea in theory, but hate actually playing them, because I'm the world's worst liar - if you have a good one though, please tell.) I introduced Hanabi to the group a while back and while they enjoyed it, it's not a very social game. Another introduced Betrayal at the House on the Hill very recently and while I didn't play, I think people enjoyed that as well - not sure I would, though.

I'll be happy to answer any questions you might have!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Paper Clip Death posted:

I'm looking for some suggestions for light-to-medium games to play with my group of friends (eight to ten people, splitting the group isn't a problem).

Some background: We used to play games (computer and board) a lot during high school and a year or two after that. Of the board variety, the ones I remember us playing the most were Carcassonne, Munchkin and Arkham Horror (I know, I know), AH being the most popular one. A couple of days ago I was discussing the aforementioned games with a friend and we agreed that neither of us enjoys those games anymore - especially Munchkin. (Ironically, another friend recently bought a bunch of expansions for it - forgive him, goons, for he knows not what he is doing.) We agreed further that we need to find and introduce other games, so as not to be subjected to that insufferable game any longer as well as to have fun playing board games again.

Nowadays my friends and I are living our adult lives all over the place and we only really get together a couple of times a year for a weekend - the game(s) therefore shouldn't take overly long (looking at you, Arkham) and should preferably be relatively quick to teach. If it's playable while slightly intoxicated, that's a big plus! (Also, regarding bluffing games, I like the idea in theory, but hate actually playing them, because I'm the world's worst liar - if you have a good one though, please tell.) I introduced Hanabi to the group a while back and while they enjoyed it, it's not a very social game. Another introduced Betrayal at the House on the Hill very recently and while I didn't play, I think people enjoyed that as well - not sure I would, though.

If you enjoyed Arkham Horror you might enjoy its more streamlined cousen Eldritch Horror. Same feel as Arkham, but takes half the time.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Dre2Dee2 posted:

The Shinkansen is heresy to the European, Victorian steam train nostalgia masses

I was thinkin more like the tokyo metro area subway map

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

Paper Clip Death posted:

Codenames. It'll be out shortly and it works as a good social game when you have more than 4 players. The spymasters can't really get in on the fun because they have to be careful about giving away extra clues, but the rest of the team is free to talk when we play. Normally we "help" the other team by suggesting things that make no sense and trying to convince them to pick it. Might get a little crowded with 10 players, but could be fun. Most we've done is 6. I took a crappy anime player mat I got for free and cut it down to size to fit into the box and I use it upside down to hold the cards in place and allow us to slide it around on the table so the active team can get a better view.

Um, other than that. Not much for 8-10 players that doesn't involve bluffing. That's really just overkill for board games, better to split into two groups. Then there are tons of great games to choose from. Oh, I do have the Walking Dead version of Bang and the expansion. I think it handles up to 8. There's not much bluffing. Everyone knows who the leader is and most of the players want to kill him. I suppose his backup would want to bluff to remain hidden a bit, but that doesn't last long.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
Quantum is like someone looked at Kemet and thought "this really needs dice roll combat". I didn't like it much.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Bubble-T posted:

Quantum is like someone looked at Kemet and thought "this really needs dice roll combat". I didn't like it much.

Maybe if you're high. The two games are nothing alike

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

The last two nights my wife and I have played Betrayal at House on the Hill after I got it for ~$25 the other day. The two-player variant we've been playing has us both playing 2 characters, then when the haunt begins, the traitor plays just one character while the other character becomes controlled by the second player. The first game we played was REALLY unbalanced, but the second felt really balanced and kept going back and forth between the heros and the monsters. We really like this game and the two-player variant has worked well for us so far.

On the other end of the board game spectrum, we've been eyeing Castles of Burgundy after playing it with a friend. I regret not getting it when it was $20 on Amazon.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

The End posted:

Maybe if you're high. The two games are nothing alike

One of them is good, I'll give you that.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Bubble-T posted:

One of them is good, I'll give you that.
One of them is good. The other one is also good.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Poison Mushroom posted:

One of them is good. The other one is also good.

One is good, the other is excellent.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
One of them is good, the other makes you want to punch your friends (and is also good).

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I dunno, I've wanted to punch people in both Quantum and Kemet.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Paper Clip Death posted:

Dominion is a pretty decent fast card game with tons of expansions, if you like Munchkin for having lots of simple card effects it's pretty good. Only goes up to 4 people though. Coup and The Resistance are the bluffing games du jour and both have high player counts. Space Alert and Galaxy Trucker both might be good for your group, Space Alert is a realtime coop about a bunch of redshirts on a dismal Soviet Starship Enterprise trying to survive an alien attack, and Galaxy Trucker is about trying to build a ship in realtime with one hand literally tied behind your back and then seeing how badly it gets mauled by the horrors of space. They can be a little stressful for a casual group but come highly recommended.

Or just go down the rabbit hole and get Cuba Libre.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
How fast can you guys do a full 6 rounds of Mage Knight solo? It just took me 4 hours to conquer two level 5 cities and I feel like that's long, but I felt like I was playing very quickly.

Maybe it just felt quick compared to having to look every rule up every combat.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Huxley posted:

How fast can you guys do a full 6 rounds of Mage Knight solo? It just took me 4 hours to conquer two level 5 cities and I feel like that's long, but I felt like I was playing very quickly.

Maybe it just felt quick compared to having to look every rule up every combat.

Sounds in the ballpark for how long my first few solo games took. Nowadays I can usually knock out an entire solo game in around 2 hours. Eventually you get really good at quickly evaluating your hand and dismissing possible plays based on that.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

I run about 2 hours for the standard setup (levels 5 + 8). You need to know all the rules though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

I finally got to play a Uwe Rosenberg game. I played Caverna. I really enjoyed it! I loved that there were many things to do, and that choosing an effective strategy could be done without needing to mind-read your opponents. (Reason I don't like that is of course because I'm terrible at it.) Like some other games, in Caverna the less competition there is for a strategy, generally the better it will perform. And the more competition there is for a strategy, the more valuable going first becomes. With that in mind you have all you need to at least be a competent player.

I am a visual and tactile person who thinks with his eyes and looks with his hands. Having my own little map of rock + woodland that I develop by actually placing little components on it is :swoon: :allears:, I don't know how else to put it.

Is this what all his games are like? Because if so I've been missing out.

Also a reminder that Forge War is a legit great game. It's a little like 4 different games stuck together and but it works. The rulebook needs work, but there is at least a quick setup guide on BGG somewhere.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Aug 28, 2015