Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Tezzor posted:

Let's not worry about "gun crime" specifically and instead just look at murder rates. Ok, the US has a murder rate 3-48 times that of anywhere else in the industrialized world, and the upper end of that range is our next door neighbor. Seems odd.

It's also been steadily dropping for years, while gun sales have gone through the roof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Tezzor posted:

Let's not worry about "gun crime" specifically and instead just look at murder rates. Ok, the US has a murder rate 3-48 times that of anywhere else in the industrialized world, and the upper end of that range is our next door neighbor. Seems odd.

People love American culture, but then they complain about the contest of terror that creates it. They only complain at certain times though, like when a black man shoots two white people.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

various cheeses posted:

It's also been steadily dropping for years, while gun sales have gone through the roof.

Did "gun sales" historically include back alley deals?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Venom Snake posted:

Owning a tank should be easier than owning a hand gun.

It is in a lot of areas. Not really any massive hoops to jump through in owning a tank, and potentially a bunch for owning a gun in some areas. So price tag aside, it's easier to own a tank.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

various cheeses posted:

Gun diffusion and availability is already high enough that any increase in numbers will likely have a negligible effect on increasing crime rates, which is not the same thing as saying decreasing diffusion and availability will have a negligible effect on decreasing crime rates.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Venom Snake posted:

yeah, which is why I don't get why people so breathlessly defend hand guns. Like the only reason hang guns exist is to kill other people, they have no actual societal benefit outside of being used by public defenders such as trained police officers (not all police officers mind you) and soldiers.

You want to take a loving AK to chipotle? okay w/e go wild we all see your pasty white rear end in cargo shorts coming from a mild away and can keep our phones ready to call 911 but hand guns are waaaaaay to easy to conceal.
This is actually a really interesting point. I always saw long guns as the biggest concern and had never considered that. You'd be hosed in open-carry states, I guess, but still. Little Mister Militia can still have his fantasy of holding off the US government's tanks and drones with his AR-15.

Give it a try, America. See what happens if you just ban small guns.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

VagueRant posted:

This is actually a really interesting point. I always saw long guns as the biggest concern and had never considered that. You'd be hosed in open-carry states, I guess, but still. Little Mister Militia can still have his fantasy of holding off the US government's tanks and drones with his AR-15.

Give it a try, America. See what happens if you just ban small guns.

It was already tried multiple times, but what do I know I'm just a guy who pays attention

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Samurai Sanders posted:

I only ever worry about weapons you can hide under your clothes. I'm not so up on my Mechwarrior but I know Elementals are small, but can you do that?

They are small compared to multi-story 20-100 ton death machines. They are worn by dudes genetically engineered to be huge as gently caress and are worn by said huge as gently caress people as suits.

So no.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

paragon1 posted:

They are small compared to multi-story 20-100 ton death machines. They are worn by dudes genetically engineered to be huge as gently caress and are worn by said huge as gently caress people as suits.

So no.

genetically engineered god-warriors have second amendment rights too, nazi

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

SedanChair posted:

People love American culture, but then they complain about the contest of terror that creates it. They only complain at certain times though, like when a black man shoots two white people.

Actually I seem to recall myself and others complaining about American gun culture long previous to its most recent public manifestation of insanity. Aside from laughing this off as disingenuous whining, which I would prefer not to do, how do we resolve this apparent paradox except by reference to some kind of Time Engine?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

various cheeses posted:

Crime rates dropped because the crack epidemic mostly ended

Suicides by gunshot have gone way, way, way up tho

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)

Who What Now posted:

Edit: the argument that there are too many guns in America already is probably the best/only valid argument against gun control.

Why doesn't the federal government just buyback and destroy the privately armed firearms that new, prospective legislation would ban? I mean, it would cost a lot of $$$$ but last I checked the post 9/11 war spending was up to $1.6 trillion, and that is a spending that has actively cost American lives, whereas buying guns back off owners would be also a lot of money but would save American lives. The latter is taxpayer's money better spent in the eyes of most civilians, I would've thought. Handguns are the worst, in my view, followed by high-capacity automatic weapons.

But then this happens, I guess:

quote:

Protesters sought to disrupt a “no questions asked” gun buyback effort Thursday on Detroit’s west side.
WWJ Newsradio 950’s Florence Walton reported that gun-toting enthusiasts tried to tempt the people in line by offering them more money not to turn in their weapons.

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2012/08/30/protest-disrupts-detroit-gun-buyback-effort/

I mean, you can change the second amendment, right? That's why it's called an amendment.

Rakosi fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 27, 2015

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

various cheeses posted:

It has been dropping worldwide. Ours is still abnormally high compared to developed countries though.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

crabcakes66 posted:

It has been dropping worldwide. Ours is still abnormally high compared to developed countries though.

Can't find the graph, but haven't we always had a higher rate compared to Europe, going back decades?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

various cheeses posted:

Can't find the graph, but haven't we always had a higher rate compared to Europe, going back decades?

why could that be though

it's almost as if we have more of something, proportionally, than europe has

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 30 days!)

Must be the freedom.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

various cheeses posted:

What is your explanation for America's completely ludicrous rate of gun murder compared to the rest of the developed world, by the way?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

crabcakes66 posted:

What is the criteria to be considered a developed country exactly? Even if we limit the selection to high HDI counties with low crime rates, there is still significant variability in the degree of restriction of private firearms ownership within that set, and that degree of restriction has essentially zero correlation to overall homicide rate.

Mirthless posted:

why could that be though

it's almost as if we have more of something, proportionally, than europe has
Even if you delete firearms from the dataset, our proportional homicide rate is still higher.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Popular Thug Drink posted:

genetically engineered god-warriors have second amendment rights too, nazi

Then they can use laser rifles like everyone else. The 2A does not entitle you to the firepower of a main battle tank. :colbert:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Dead Reckoning posted:

Even if you delete firearms from the dataset, our proportional homicide rate is still higher.

which makes our insanely high firearm accessibility even stupider when you account for the murderous bloodlust of the average american

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Tezzor posted:

Actually I seem to recall myself and others complaining about American gun culture long previous to its most recent public manifestation of insanity. Aside from laughing this off as disingenuous whining, which I would prefer not to do, how do we resolve this apparent paradox except by reference to some kind of Time Engine?

No, you complain in fits and starts, motivated by the sight of whites dying.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

paragon1 posted:

Then they can use laser rifles like everyone else. The 2A does not entitle you to the firepower of a main battle tank. :colbert:

What about rights to carry a SRM-4 and a Small Laser?

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

The anti-mech crowd doesn't even know what they're trying to ban. Like the legislating against the Mad Cat because it has the shoulder missile things that go up.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

various cheeses posted:

The anti-mech crowd doesn't even know what they're trying to ban. Like the legislating against the Mad Cat because it has the shoulder missile things that go up.

It is clearly just a Catapult with arms on! :argh:

CommieGIR posted:

Acceptable, so long as it is on a truck and not a powersuit.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Rakosi posted:

What do the pro-gun crowd say about the hordes of evidence that suggest gun restrictions/bans have a statistically significant effect in reducing gun crime in most other countries that have such legislation. Is the argument for guns literally only "Its our rights!!" and "black people will immediately rape my family in the middle of the night if I dont have firearms under my pillow"?

Not being facetious, just a very confused poster from a country with plenty of gun restrictions and a very, very low gun crime rate.

There isn't hordes of evidence though. The studies are mixed and lack the controls needed to show causation.

Cross country studies are incredibly hard to do correctly so people latch on to whatever study 'proves'their point . People don't actually want to think about this issue, they want whatever reaffirms their gut feelings. I hope this makes the issue less confusing for you.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

Rakosi posted:

I mean, you can change the second amendment, right? That's why it's called an amendment.

In theory yes. But in reality there's no way an amendment on an issue this polarizing would pass 2/3 of Congress as well as 3/4 of the states. Which is a big part of why this whole debate is really depressing: there's no way any really meaningful change can happen given the current makeup of the country and government.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

SedanChair posted:

I am 100% sure that posters complained about American gun culture when Dylan Roof shot up that church and hit nary a white person in sight. Im too lazy to look them up on my phone though so whatever.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

tsa posted:

There isn't hordes of evidence though. The studies are mixed and lack the controls needed to show causation.

Cross country studies are incredibly hard to do correctly so people latch on to whatever study 'proves'their point . People don't actually want to think about this issue, they want whatever reaffirms their gut feelings. I hope this makes the issue less confusing for you.

But doesn't America disqualify itself from having an opinion on research and comparative study of gun violence being used in the debate because they banned it?

http://uk.businessinsider.com/congressional-ban-on-gun-violence-research-rewnewed-2015-7?r=US&IR=T

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Institute a guns-for-katanas trade-in program, watch all gun goons suddenly reconsider their position.

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Now is not the time to politicize this tragedy.

Sure it is.

I don't see the problem with "politicizing tragedy." If you wait until later, people lose interest in the issue, and nothing gets done. The best way to force the necessary changes to happen is to do it while the bodies are still warm.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Rakosi posted:

What is your explanation for America's completely ludicrous rate of gun murder compared to the rest of the developed world, by the way?

War on drugs and it's relation to poverty in inner cites is the real obvious one. Gun access is also probably a (small) factor as well.

Also lol at the idea of amending out the second amendment.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

All guns should be smart and only usable by their registered owner and not possible to be disabled or affected by outside transmissions.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Institute a guns-for-katanas trade-in program, watch all gun goons suddenly reconsider their position.

I bought a sword in a shopping mall in NC once when I was much younger.

Easily my dumbest purchase.

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

Rakosi posted:

But doesn't America disqualify itself from having an opinion on research and comparative study of gun violence being used in the debate because they banned it?

http://uk.businessinsider.com/congressional-ban-on-gun-violence-research-rewnewed-2015-7?r=US&IR=T

Well hey when the data does not say what you want it to just ban the data. The same thing they are trying to do with climate change.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Schlitzkrieg Bop posted:

In theory yes. But in reality there's no way an amendment on an issue this polarizing would pass 2/3 of Congress as well as 3/4 of the states. Which is a big part of why this whole debate is really depressing: there's no way any really meaningful change can happen given the current makeup of the country and government.

Yeah, pretty much. People joke about shrugging our shoulders and saying "I guess nothing can be done about crazy people getting guns" but that's more or less completely true.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Schlitzkrieg Bop posted:

So change guns.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

If your dad died from a heart attack, and you started telling everybody that the government needs to pass a law mandating that everyone eat a jar of peanut butter a day (or that peanut butter be banned) in order to prevent heart disease, the fact that your dad died from heart disease does not make your opinion any less wrong or unfounded, and it should not give it any more weight than anyone elses opinion.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

SedanChair posted:

Why are you lying and trolling to defend something as silly and destructive as untrammeled toy ownership, primarily advocated by the right-wing racists you so dislike?

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

crabcakes66 posted:

Owning and carrying a gun would not have saved the majority of victims who get shot.

Especially because the majority of victims are the same person as the perpetrator.

various cheeses posted:

The number of people who own guns has also been steadily dropping while gun sales have gone through the roof. Eventually you're just going to have a few thousand people whose homes are entirely filled with guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Now is not the time to politicize this tragedy.

Everything is political. Free Your Mind

• Locked thread