Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
probably because it wasn't really great for fight scenes; since it was entirely based around bombardment from afar, it was all bulky and stuff and looked weird trying to do martial arts, so all the fights with it were it staying way back and blasting things with Lasers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Some Numbers posted:

Kachidoki was soooo good.

EI EI OH!

EI EI OH!

EI EI OH!

maybeflan
May 15, 2014

Stallion Cabana posted:

probably because it wasn't really great for fight scenes; since it was entirely based around bombardment from afar, it was all bulky and stuff and looked weird trying to do martial arts, so all the fights with it were it staying way back and blasting things with Lasers.

Which makes Kachidoki all the more amusing for that jump slash against unmanned Watermelons.

Oh yeah, I also forgot about Wizard's Dragon forms.

E:

Waffleman_ posted:

EI EI OH!

EI EI OH!

EI EI OH!

Rise up your flag!

maybeflan fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Aug 26, 2015

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
So, it's basically law then that the final form can never be cooler than the middle form. The best it can hope for is "just as stupid".

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Poison Mushroom posted:

I don't know how I forgot. Magnet States was rad, they just almost never used it.

They only used it for limit breaks really.

maybeflan
May 15, 2014

Poison Mushroom posted:

So, it's basically law then that the final form can never be cooler than the middle form. The best it can hope for is "just as stupid".

For the most part with exceptions being Kuuga and Agito. They have real slick final forms.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Poison Mushroom posted:

Eh, there's a few. Kuuga (Ultimate is cool as hell, Amazing is a recolour), Blade (King is great, Jack is also great but less great), Hibiki (again, actual form vs recolour), and Kiva (Emperor is pretty cool, DoGaBaKi...needed more spotlight, as did most of Kiva's gimmicks) are exceptions, in my opinion.

maybeflan posted:

For the most part with exceptions being Kuuga and Agito. They have real slick final forms.

Burning > Shining.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Okay, stick "Neo-Heisei" or "post-Decade" in there somewhere, then.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Poison Mushroom posted:

Type Tridoron looks leagues better than Dead Heat and its doofy-rear end Drive-Mach mashup helmet.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Shaezerus posted:

Type Tridoron looks leagues better than Dead Heat and its doofy-rear end Drive-Mach mashup helmet.

But Type Formula exists, and it looks so silly yet actually really cool. If the helmet wasn't of a different colour than the suit, it could easily be my favourite Rider form in the series.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Blaze Dragon posted:

But Type Formula exists, and it looks so silly yet actually really cool. If the helmet wasn't of a different colour than the suit, it could easily be my favourite Rider form in the series.

The Shift Car endorsement stickers completely negate any misgivings I have about Type Formula. They're so good. :3:

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Another bad opinion i guess but i thought cyclone joker extreme was pretty good. Though i was really hoping for them to somehow do a fang joker extreme

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
So I just started watching Ultraman X because I haven't seen a tokusatsu show in years and I generally prefer Ultra shows to anything else. I must say, I'm pretty drat impressed with the action, the effects, the monster design, and the direction.

But what is this doll poo poo? Why are action figures actual plot points? Why is the main character holding a Gomora doll and talking to it and registering action figure footprints on his wrist tablet? I know that these shows literally exist to sell toys, but this is so far through the looking glass that it's the ant frying on the sidewalk.

Apparently this is a thing with Japanese media right now?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Desumaytah posted:

So I just started watching Ultraman X because I haven't seen a tokusatsu show in years and I generally prefer Ultra shows to anything else. I must say, I'm pretty drat impressed with the action, the effects, the monster design, and the direction.

But what is this doll poo poo? Why are action figures actual plot points? Why is the main character holding a Gomora doll and talking to it and registering action figure footprints on his wrist tablet? I know that these shows literally exist to sell toys, but this is so far through the looking glass that it's the ant frying on the sidewalk.

It's a cheap effect in a show whose target demographic is, ostensibly, 1st graders :shrug:

If you think it's jarring in Ultraman X, you should have been around for Ultraman Ginga, where there's like a hand outside of frame making the Ultraman doll walk around on desks and stuff while conversing, like a Mr. Bill sketch.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Desumaytah posted:

It's worse in the other series.

But yeah if you don't literally have action figures for your gimmick, you're pretty well hosed as far as getting your show funded.

That creeped into Sentai back with OhRanger, creeped into Rider with Hibiki, and hit Ultraman with Ginga.

That's not to say that they DIDN'T have toys before then, or that they weren't toyetic, but it went to a whole other level with those points in each franchise.

I'm hoping we get a more traditional Ultra series next year for the 50th, since Ultraman has always been a show that will just do weird stuff when they feel like it.

For what it's worth, the Gomora thing is going to be important later on. Ultraman is going to be able to summon a Cyber Gomora to fight along side him, and its costume is pretty drat cool, so I can at least approve of that.

deadly_pudding posted:

It's a cheap effect in a show whose target demographic is, ostensibly, 1st graders :shrug:

If you think it's jarring in Ultraman X, you should have been around for Ultraman Ginga, where there's like a hand outside of frame making the Ultraman doll walk around on desks and stuff while conversing, like a Mr. Bill sketch.

I'm actually not sure who X is aimed at, specifically. It's likely skewed younger, though not to the same extent as Ginga or Cosmos were, but Ultraman's always been more of a family program then Super Sentai or Kamen Rider.

The time it airs is a big clue for that.

Super Sentai and Kamen Rider air early in the morning, alongside other kids programming like Pokemon and the like, while Ultraman traditionally airs in the prime time slot or later.

Amusingly, maybe because Cosmos was really, really, made for younger kids, for Nexus the channel airing the series decided to go against the company's wishes and put it in an early morning slot...

With a show that is one of the most adult, twisted, and mature of the series and of any Tokusatsu in general. The only other contenders that rival Nexus for that are either made by the same company (Ultra Q Dark Fantasy, UltraSeven X) or are the Garo line, all of which are late night shows. As a result the ratings on Nexus tanked. Later on they re-aired Nexus at late night and it did pretty drat well.

After that debacle Max and Mebius, despite both being markedly more light hearted, aired prime time instead.

Not sure about X though.

Burkion fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Aug 27, 2015

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Man, with all the Ultra chat you'll make me finally go and watch one.

...Oh, to hell with it. Suggestions, please.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Blaze Dragon posted:

Man, with all the Ultra chat you'll make me finally go and watch one.

...Oh, to hell with it. Suggestions, please.

What kind of series do you like?

And if you only prefer more modern shows, well that helps narrow the field a bit!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm watching X and it's pretty good. Maybe I'm broken by marketing, but I don't really blink at the "action figures are a plot point" thing. Everytime I see a new weapon or mecha in other stuff I think about the toy version that must exist.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Burkion posted:

What kind of series do you like?

And if you only prefer more modern shows, well that helps narrow the field a bit!

I tend to dislike shows that have way too strong of a focus on comedy (I disliked Den-O, for instance). This is not to say I dislike comedy in general, just that I like having some action there. And darker series are good, I enjoyed Garo a lot to mention one.

I tend to gravitate more towards more modern shows, but something being old won't stop me from liking it.

Honestly, as long as it has a strong story and good characterization I'll probably like it. Failing in those tends to be a great way to make me stop caring (I've complained about Ninninger several times and I will do so again, because it absolutely fails at proper characterization by means of focusing the story on an unlikable, generic, bland as hell character, and comparing everyone else negatively to him).

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
General consensus is that Ultraseven is the highest quality showa show. It's a bit darker than most of the other series, but maybe also a little less-focused on kaiju action. The original is also super great. There are a LOT of references to both throughout subsequent series, mostly with returning popular monsters like Baltan or Gomora.

I think a lot of people got their start with Tiga or Dyna, which are pretty standard (but good) mid-90's toku fare.

My first Ultra was actually Ultraman: Towards the Future, which is the only foreign produced Ultra series (Australian, weirdly enough). It's only 13 episodes long and kind of heavy on melodrama and environmental messages. It is very, very different from other Ultra shows, and it's not for everyone. It's got stellar music, though, by the goddamn Australian symphony orchestra.

Of the newer stuff, if you want something dark with a solid through-line in its narrative, go for Nexus.

I'd personally recommend Ultraman Max, though. It's got a little bit of everything. It's like a love letter to the older series, is pretty lighthearted, and Takashi Miike directed a few episodes that are absolutely bonkers.

Mebius is kind of like Max, but very slightly more focused towards kid stuff.

I know nothing of Ultraseven X except for it's awesome metal theme song.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Ultraman Max is fun and cool and I wish I had the time to finish it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Blaze Dragon posted:

I tend to dislike shows that have way too strong of a focus on comedy (I disliked Den-O, for instance). This is not to say I dislike comedy in general, just that I like having some action there. And darker series are good, I enjoyed Garo a lot to mention one.

I tend to gravitate more towards more modern shows, but something being old won't stop me from liking it.

Honestly, as long as it has a strong story and good characterization I'll probably like it. Failing in those tends to be a great way to make me stop caring (I've complained about Ninninger several times and I will do so again, because it absolutely fails at proper characterization by means of focusing the story on an unlikable, generic, bland as hell character, and comparing everyone else negatively to him).

For Max I'll work up some Must See episodes for you to check out. Max is pretty much an Anthology show starring the same cast in every episode with nearly no continuity beyond the two parters, so it's a bit hard to marathon- but it's got some fantastic episodes that you don't need a lot of backstory on to enjoy.

Mebius would be the easiest show for you to fall into, I think. It's super duper super shonen anime in tone, with a very slight edge to it in places, but it's really drat good and it mixes a pretty good on going storyline with some great one off adventures and has extremely strong characters. It's also a kind of crash course into the history of the Showa Ultramen, as each of them get an episode in the series at random points and there are lots of returning monsters from the older shows mixed with the newer ones.

Despite that it's very new viewer friendly, and is arguably the best of the three Anniversary series made around that time. (Those being Gokaiger and Decade)

X so far is pretty good, but much lighter in tone. It also has some old monsters showing up, but in an entirely new context as the entire show is set in its own continuity, except when other Ultras crash into his universe.

Leo is one you might want to check out with a giant warning label on it- it was made in 1974, at the height of the oil crisis in Japan, and it suffers for it. It's got some of the worst suits in the entire franchise and the effects look really dodgy, even for the time. Ultraman and UltraSeven, made in the previous decade, look much better by comparison. Outside that Leo is generally very good if you can get past that, with a very heavy atmosphere and darker turns. It can be a bit schizophrenic at times though, but rarely devolves into pure farce.

Ultraman 80 is...certainly a show. It's not a BAD series, but it might be the most Atypical Ultraman series on Crunchyroll, and in the franchise, besides Tiga. It's got some elaborate suits for the time, but not much of an on going story, generally just MOTW plots. It also doesn't really know what kind of show it wants to be, as far as I can tell, as it starts off as this school drama kind of thing about the teacher coming to help a troubled class only the teacher is Ultraman, only they drop that within a few episodes? And then it just kinda does what it wants for 50 episodes.

Ultraman, the original, is on Hulu, but it's the inferior dub. I say inferior because the dub actively changes certain plots, and in one particular case just fucks over one of my favorite episodes.

UltraSeven is over on Shoutfactory TV! It's loving fantastic and great, but it's not a toku series like the norm. UltraSeven is basically "What if Star Trek/Doctor Who had a super hero as the lead hero". The show deals mostly with alien invasions, but often with a mature look and style and can delve into some heavy themes when it wants. Some episodes are pure fun action adventure stuff, while others are designed to leave you wondering just if humanity is really worth saving. One episode is literally a commentary on the Bay of Pigs incident, MADE IN THE 60S. That took some balls. But if you can't get into old school sci fi, you're going to have a hard time with it.

That's about it for the legally viewable series. If you can though, track down Ultraman Nexus. Nexus is exactly the kind of show you want if you enjoy Garo. It's really amazing. Do not get the TV Nihon subs, though- and not for the usual cases. The TV-Nihon subs literally mistranslated very super important plot points and make them mean the exact opposite of what they're supposed to. They will leave you confused as hell.

Outside of that, Tiga's an alright show, but very generic. Dyna and Gaia are both superior in a lot of respects, but are not subbed. Cosmos has HK subs, but it doesn't seem to be your bag. Return of Ultraman is fantastic for the first half, but the subs for it are hard to find. Ultraman Ace is not subbed, ditto Taro.

Ginga is death.

Stay away from Ginga.

If you want to see how Australia does a toku series, Ultraman Towards the Future is a fun watch, though very, very flawed.

If you want to see how America does an Ultraman series

Don't.

Because Ultraman Powered is the devil.

OH

UltraSeven X!

UltraSeven X is a direct sequel to the original UltraSeven, and is very similar in tone a lot of the time. It makes way more sense if you've seen the original, as it veers from DUMB ACTION EPISODE to SOUL SEARCHING SCI FI PLOT on an episode to episode basis. It's an interesting one and I like it, but it's not for everyone. It's also technically a follow up to UltraSeven Evolution, but the chances of finding that subbed unless you bought it on DVD from a shady DVD website that went out of business years ago like I did are...not great! (And even then all it had was the final 2001-2002 series, not the 94, 98, or 99 series that came before.)

Burkion fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Aug 27, 2015

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
What about this?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

That is 4 Kids.

You know what the answer to that is.

Though to be slightly fair to 4 Kids....for the first time ever I guess... they later allowed the series to get a DVD release through Funimation with full, accurate subtitles.

So you know. Good for them.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Elfgames posted:

Another bad opinion i guess but i thought cyclone joker extreme was pretty good. Though i was really hoping for them to somehow do a fang joker extreme

I still find it bewildering that they never did Extreme combinations using any of the other Memories

The only reason Tiga's dub even exists was to explain a joke in an episode of the Kirby anime that 4Kids also brought over at that time

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Ultraman Returns was pretty good too. I dunno if that's too high level, though.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I also wish they'd done FangMetal and FangTrigger at some point.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I wanted FangTrigger so bad. All of the Trigger combos were so cool.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Let's be real. As far as 4Kids series goes, Tiga wasn't that bad. At least they didn't assume kids were too dumb to know where Tokyo was.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

So I have been marathoning Gaim for awhile, and am at the Kikaider Episode. I looked ahead and apparently Kiwami Arms debuts in like 2 more episodes? I feel weird because there hasn't been near enough Triumphant Arms for me; it's only shown up like 3 times, he's mostly just been doing Jimber stuff. It's a little weird.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Stallion Cabana posted:

So I have been marathoning Gaim for awhile, and am at the Kikaider Episode. I looked ahead and apparently Kiwami Arms debuts in like 2 more episodes? I feel weird because there hasn't been near enough Triumphant Arms for me; it's only shown up like 3 times, he's mostly just been doing Jimber stuff. It's a little weird.

It was also weird when it aired.

They really rushed Kiwami Arms out, which isn't great since it could've lent some heft to later events if it debuted during a big plot development. Also choreographing Kachidoki Arms fight scenes must've been difficult, that suit was bulky as hell.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Burkion posted:

Not sure about X though.

X, like Ginga and Ginga S (which it sounds like you haven't watched yet and probably should) before it, takes the place of episodes of Shin Ultraman Retsuden, which airs at 18:00. So, yeah, family show again, not kid show. More or less.

Stallion Cabana posted:

If it makes you feel better, he literally cannot use that form without starting Triumphant, because that's just how the toy works. It's not going anywhere.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
My favorite tokusatsu toy show is Godzilla Island. It was a Godzilla thing that was like 3 minute episodes every day of the week made using toys. There used to be lots of it on youtube but now you just get results of some fan made thing with the same name.

Anyway it had poo poo like a literal giant vending machine floating around in space, the villain bought a Mecha King Ghidora and sent it down to fight Godzilla. But it had all robot heads or something and thus didn't actually have a brain and couldn't move so Godzilla just knocked it over.

Also, an insane theme song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ie9J43rVWZM

edit: Found it, someone has a bunch up on dailymotion, sweet.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1kcbe1_godzilla-island-episode-rain-of-despair_creation

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Aug 27, 2015

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Some Numbers posted:

I also wish they'd done FangMetal and FangTrigger at some point.

That would be cool.

I know somewhere I saw concept artwork for Fang Dopant and Joker Dopant... both looked pretty cool.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Dre2Dee2 posted:

I know somewhere I saw concept artwork for Fang Dopant and Joker Dopant... both looked pretty cool.

They were made as a part of the designs for NEVER in the movie that introduced Eternal. There are some interesting elements to them, though I'm a touch surprised that Joker is so asymmetrical, on the other hand the references to Blade are pretty obvious.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I really like how Joker's ear things look like a jester hat but also like rabbit ears. That's a nice touch.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Man could you imagine how much it would hurt shoving all of fang into your connector port, it'd definitely drive you crazy.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

AzraelNewtype posted:

X, like Ginga and Ginga S (which it sounds like you haven't watched yet and probably should) before it, takes the place of episodes of Shin Ultraman Retsuden, which airs at 18:00. So, yeah, family show again, not kid show. More or less.

That explains it. I keep hearing Ginga S was a huge improvement, I'll have to catch it now that it's subbed.

But yeah that's a large reason why Ultraman can be so weird with its tone. It's not made as strictly a kids show. Every now and again they like to mix it up with more serious stuff, they have from the very beginning. I'm hoping the Spark Dolls is just a carry over from Ginga to keep that gimmick going, and we'll do something maybe a bit less toyetic next series. The Ultraman Gun is hilarious though.

Gearhead posted:

They were made as a part of the designs for NEVER in the movie that introduced Eternal. There are some interesting elements to them, though I'm a touch surprised that Joker is so asymmetrical, on the other hand the references to Blade are pretty obvious.

Joker has a straight up Kamen Rider Black belt. That's fantastic.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Burkion posted:

Joker has a straight up Kamen Rider Black belt. That's fantastic.

It is both a Joker from Blade and Kamen Rider Black. At the same time. Which is grand.

EDIT:

Fang Joker always confused the Hell out of me, really. Both Double and O's had forms that, by all pomp and circumstance, could've been 'final' forms, but turned out to not be. Fang Joker being overshadowed by Extreme and PuToTyra being overshadowed by TaJaDor, which was introduced BEFORE PuToTyra, making it in effect a crossgrade.. except in how it was essential in opening up the last fight as winnable.

Gearhead fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Aug 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Is Kamen Rider Kabuto any good? The suit designs seem really nice and sleek looking. Also does it have good subs anywhere.

• Locked thread