Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Nintendo Kid posted:

You're the one freaking about min maxing, buddy.

No, that was you as anyone can see from your posts. You are making a claim that goes against 99% of people's experience with batteries.

Just lol at you putting the kindle in a ziploc bag for the pool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

goodness posted:

No, that was you as anyone can see from your posts. You are making a claim that goes against 99% of people's experience with batteries.

I'm not though.

It's perfectly fine, unless your idea of a kindle in the pool is to repeatedly toss it into the deep end.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

goodness posted:

It's fine. I've read my Kindle in the bath in a sandwich bag (not even a proper Ziploc) more times than I'd care to count.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I just wrap my kindle in saran wrap and go scuba diving with it

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Wait you guys don't put your kindle inside a condom?

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Baller Witness Bro posted:

Some of us don't buy magnum xxxxl durtrojans.

You know, because girls are gross and goons are _____.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

chippy posted:

It's fine. I've read my Kindle in the bath in a sandwich bag (not even a proper Ziploc) more times than I'd care to count.

Stay with me here though. This was a guy who is scared to drain his battery.

Have you even read the reports about micro particles in pools or bathtubs that have a good chance of puncturing the plastic and leaking water into your kindle. It's happened to like 1 person so just in case I wouldn't risk it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
What if a meteorite or stray bullet zips by and punctures the ziploc? What then?

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Baller Witness Bro posted:

I read all my badly written erotica bareback

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

goodness posted:

Stay with me here though. This was a guy who is scared to drain his battery.

Nice strawman. But not close to anyone's argument.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Nintendo Kid posted:

Nice strawman. But not close to anyone's argument.

Nice skipping of the real issue. What about particles in the water that will rip the bag and ruin your kindle one drop at a time?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Listen, Kindle software may malfunction and not protect the battery from draining close to its physical limit and damaging it, but there has never been a single instance of a plastic ziploc bag leaking.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

goodness posted:

Nice skipping of the real issue. What about particles in the water that will rip the bag and ruin your kindle one drop at a time?

That's not gonna happen if you just splash it, sorry. On the other hand, all sorts of modern devices have the batteries gently caress up every day because software and hardware ain't infallible.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Jesus just get the Kobo Aura H20 if you want to read near water, and literally nobody cares about this stupid battery obsession

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

jfc, don't debate fishmech on such utterly trivial poo poo. Just answer once and ignore it, he certainly will never shut up.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

wolrah posted:

Plus then it'd be relatively easy to make sufficiently water-resistant for any around the house situation. No need for any ports at all. I'd love to be able to use my Kindle while floating in the pool without having to put some stupid bulky case on it.

http://waterfi.com/waterproofing-service-kindle-paperwhite

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Nintendo Kid posted:

That's not gonna happen if you just splash it, sorry. On the other hand, all sorts of modern devices have the batteries gently caress up every day because software and hardware ain't infallible.

I guess you did not read the study about microparticles in water that tear through plastic, no splashing involved. Just floating in the ward tears micro holes in the bag, which will cause moisture to get in there and ruin your kindle.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I would be more worried about molecules diffusing through the plastic in the long term.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Don't quote, reply to, or give attention to Nintendo Kid please, it only makes this poo poo happen.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

goodness posted:

I guess you did not read the study about microparticles in water that tear through plastic, no splashing involved. Just floating in the ward tears micro holes in the bag, which will cause moisture to get in there and ruin your kindle.

Ok crazy guy who made up a study. Sure.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Nintendo Kid posted:

Ok crazy guy who made up a study. Sure.

You're the one claiming all the plastic and ziplock bags are infallible, so why don't you cite evidence against that? Since you can't know whether your particular bag will experience a problem, it's best practices to simply not get close to causing a problem.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

goodness posted:

You're the one claiming all the plastic and ziplock bags are infallible,

I'm not, sorry guy.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Wow! Lots of unread posts. Must be a new Kindle!

Oh, carry on...

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

goodness posted:

You're the one claiming all the plastic and ziplock bags are infallible, so why don't you cite evidence against that? Since you can't know whether your particular bag will experience a problem, it's best practices to simply not get close to causing a problem.

His responses will get shorter and more vague. This is how he trolls people. Give it up.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

lol at all the scrubs who don't have an Aura H20 for pool-reading and a Voyager for everything else.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

His responses will get shorter and more vague. This is how he trolls people. Give it up.

Oh I know. I remember how it goes: say something you think is legit, realize you are stupid and then troll to act like that was your plan all along. It's funny since he is just responding to quotes from himself.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

goodness posted:

Oh I know. I remember how it goes: say something you think is legit, realize you are stupid and then troll to act like that was your plan all along. It's funny since he is just responding to quotes from himself.

They aren't quotes from me though, they're your dumb made up stuff because you think batteries are magically infallible now.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming
:)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Trying to ship a Kobo to an APO address was pretty frustrating. Their website won't let you access the US store (redirects etc; no messages about why) from outside the US. I got around it through a sorta-Proxy; then it gave an error about the shipping address, again with no explanation. I called support, (which were clearly outsourced, and knew little about the device or website setup) and was told based on the error and no further data that I should "Go to a nearby store" to buy it. I spoke to a manager who asked me to send a screenshot of the error, but had no idea what the shipping policy was, or if there was any way to order. I eventually ordered through a forwarding service, but they were making it tempting to one-click a Voyage on Amazon.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Aug 28, 2015

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
My Paperwhite was just delivered to my house. The rest of the workday is going to be a nightmare.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

My Paperwhite was just delivered to my house. The rest of the workday is going to be a nightmare.

Quit your job. It's the only solution

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
How do I tell if the enhanced typesetting is working? The typesetting on the book I'm reading isn't that bad, but I can't tell if it is already enhanced or not.

Is the new typesetting even out yet?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Y'all are getting fishmeched. Use and charge your kindle like whatever and throw it in a Ziploc to float around the pool. gently caress.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

How do I tell if the enhanced typesetting is working? The typesetting on the book I'm reading isn't that bad, but I can't tell if it is already enhanced or not.

Is the new typesetting even out yet?

Yeah, it's out. You may have to update your kindle manually if it hasn't done it yet automatically. If you have a Voyage, the typesetting came with the update that added the Bookerly font.

Take a book and change the font to a larger size. If the white spaces between words are even and words are hyphenated across lines, then congrats! Your book has enhanced typesetting.

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp
If you DO drown your Kindle, I'd be happy to rebuild it for you. :3:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

SB35 posted:

I saw this thread had 38 posts and got excited thinking that a new exciting eReader had been released. Then I found out it was just stupid battery arguing.

This, but 74 posts. :(

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Just a heads up for anyone wanting a paperwhite. Best Buy student coupons this month have codes for $20 off the new models, if my google-fu of the SKU's is correct.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Goddammit. My wife put my Voyager in her purse Saturday and when I went to read it last night there's a single crack running all the way from bottom to top. It lights up, but the touchscreen is completely unresponsive as are the haptic buttons.

Feh. I'll miss the flush screen a bit, but otherwise the new PW will do as a replacement. I like the Amazon covers on those better than the weird origami flipboard thing the Voyager got.

Dammit.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

smr posted:

Goddammit. My wife put my Voyager in her purse Saturday and when I went to read it last night there's a single crack running all the way from bottom to top. It lights up, but the touchscreen is completely unresponsive as are the haptic buttons.

Feh. I'll miss the flush screen a bit, but otherwise the new PW will do as a replacement. I like the Amazon covers on those better than the weird origami flipboard thing the Voyager got.

Dammit.

Did you try contacting Amazon? They may replace the screen or offer you a refurbished one at a discount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Amazon makes almost no money on the sale of the ereaders alone, so they'll probably replace it, ask you to send in the broken one, fix the screen, then sell it as refurbished.