Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Coolguye posted:

Backtracking only consumes like 10% of the normal torchlight anyway, so unless you get unlucky with Hunger events (which can happen regardless) it's not a big deal.

For me it's mostly just boring to have to backtrack through five or six hallways and rooms. I'm glad the torch burns slower in these situations, though, since it's one less thing I have to click on on the way back to the action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i actually would like a fast travel back to 'X' room option or something like that

it doesn't add anything to gameplay to walk down multiple hallways

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
also corpses are stupid

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Phrasing posted:

You might be bad at this game if a character ever dies from a heart attack.

Also, for fucks sake there is a retreat function in the game. You DON'T have to push the party to death if you don't want to. Manage stress better. Know when a fight has kicked your rear end and it's better to run than die. Come properly supplied.

It seems pretty clear though that this game desperately needs difficulty settings because some people want to treat it more like a Final Fantasy-eqsue 'wail on the bad guys til they fall down' RPG, rather than a genuine turn based tactics RPG. That's cool if people want to soak up the atmosphere and art with a lite game, but the game probably needs a way to make it clear they're not picking up the basics and they need to if they want to play at the balancing difficulty level.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Eonwe posted:

i actually would like a fast travel back to 'X' room option or something like that

it doesn't add anything to gameplay to walk down multiple hallways

That's kind of the point though. The mindset of this game is "Adventuring is hard, people will die, choose your paths wisely." Its forcing you to choose paths efficiently to prevent excess stress buildup.

It may not streamline the gameplay but it adds to the overall experience.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Also, it is (rarely) possible to be ambushed while backtracking. I've had it happen a couple of times now, and it's never a pleasant surprise.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Maluco Marinero posted:

Also, for fucks sake there is a retreat function in the game. You DON'T have to push the party to death if you don't want to. Manage stress better. Know when a fight has kicked your rear end and it's better to run than die. Come properly supplied.

It seems pretty clear though that this game desperately needs difficulty settings because some people want to treat it more like a Final Fantasy-eqsue 'wail on the bad guys til they fall down' RPG, rather than a genuine turn based tactics RPG. That's cool if people want to soak up the atmosphere and art with a lite game, but the game probably needs a way to make it clear they're not picking up the basics and they need to if they want to play at the balancing difficulty level.

There is a note every time you boot up the game explaining the games philosophy and people still don't seem to get it. It's not a full roguelike, but it clearly takes a lot of cues from roguelike design philosophy. In general, nearly all single player games don't having meaningful punishments for failure and you can brute force your way through a challenge just by repetition alone. Even games like Dark Souls are relatively lenient when you die. A lot of people seem to struggle when that safety net is taken away. The game is still really merciful compared to something like Crawl, where dying 12 hours into a run means losing 12 hours of progress.

I think a lot of people think they want that kind of challenge until they actually get it.

Angry Diplomat posted:

Also, it is (rarely) possible to be ambushed while backtracking. I've had it happen a couple of times now, and it's never a pleasant surprise.

Yeah, the developers have said they want backtracking to be safer, but not safe.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Highwang posted:

but it adds to the overall experience.

it doesnt actually

i have never lost a run or been unprepared for it because i know if im on a medium dungeon i have to buy more than i probably ought to because im going to pick a route and have to walk across like 6 screens of nothing to get back to playing a video game

the game is fun as gently caress but that part is boring

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
They made it easier to acquire stress in the last few updates right? I outright had my first man at arms die to a heart attack (while camping, hilariously) and everyone seems to be hitting 100 quite a bit quicker than they did before.

I mean granted, most of it is "gently caress you newbie" runs but I never had this much trouble before.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

dogstile posted:

I outright had my first man at arms die to a heart attack (while camping, hilariously)

That rules. How did he go? Was he literally unable to take a joke?

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Lol if it was the leper removing his mask that did it.

"Hey, c'mon, I'm not that ugly."

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
So I just unlocked the first ruins boss and it seems like the ruins no longer produce any short missions? But I've been firing a bunch of losers from my team, so no one has even hit 2 yet. Should I be concerned about leveling all of the short missions out of the dungeons?

Edit: Never mind, I can see from the quest.json that short missions are still available I've just been rolling poorly on the new quest table.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Sep 2, 2015

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

I dont know posted:

That rules. How did he go? Was he literally unable to take a joke?

I tried using encourage and he just said something about pain and died.

E: He was masochistic at the time. I feel sorry for the occultist that tried to cheer him up.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Sep 2, 2015

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Don't fire your dungeon crawlers like normal; only try to kill the problematic ones in camp with mockery and backfiring inspiring talks. Nobody quits this outfit, they only die from bad jokes.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Why fret? We'll all be worms soon enough.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

dogstile posted:

I tried using encourage and he just said something about pain and died.

E: He was masochistic at the time. I feel sorry for the occultist that tried to cheer him up.

I was hoping the exchange went

Highwayman: At least if we die the pain will stop.
Man at Arms: By Jove, you're right.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I never really thought about it but what happens with unused provisions at the end of a mission? If, for example, you still have six torches when you end the mission, do they get converted back into gold? I'm assuming they don't, and that's part of the reason you don't want to go nuts with buying too much poo poo, but I figured I'd ask.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

You lose them.

brother-joseph
Jan 1, 2009

:lol:MARINES:lol:
Does upgrading a skill at the guild do anything beyond the stats listed right there when you mouse over the upgrade? The reason I ask is that there are some skills like Wicked Hack that allegedly stay the same up to level 5.

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)

brother-joseph posted:

Does upgrading a skill at the guild do anything beyond the stats listed right there when you mouse over the upgrade? The reason I ask is that there are some skills like Wicked Hack that allegedly stay the same up to level 5.
Doesn't Wicked Hack get more accuracy and crit % as you level it up?

brother-joseph
Jan 1, 2009

may contain peanuts posted:

Doesn't Wicked Hack get more accuracy and crit % as you level it up?

Yes it does. And if you mouse over skills you've already bought they all show the stat for your most recent level. oops :420:

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

Houndmaster is all right. Maybe he seems weak in comparison to the recently released Arbalest and Man-at-Arms but boy do his camping skills loving suck.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I understand the gameplay mechanic reason for losing all items after a mission but it never sat well with me. Food maybe, but torches and poo poo?? Convert it back into gold or have a supply pool or something.

GladRagKraken
Mar 27, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

I understand the gameplay mechanic reason for losing all items after a mission but it never sat well with me. Food maybe, but torches and poo poo?? Convert it back into gold or have a supply pool or something.

Hahah you left something of value with murderhobos. Be happy you get the 1500 gold per stack or however little they claim they can carry. Rest assured the majority of their time on mission is spent carefully sewing your ancestor's choicest treasures into the lining of their coats.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

GladRagKraken posted:

Hahah you left something of value with murderhobos. Be happy you get the 1500 gold per stack or however little they claim they can carry. Rest assured the majority of their time on mission is spent carefully sewing your ancestor's choicest treasures into the lining of their coats.

Motherfucker stole bandages RIGHT IN FRONT of the Highwayman bleeding out.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Phrasing posted:

Houndmaster is all right. Maybe he seems weak in comparison to the recently released Arbalest and Man-at-Arms but boy do his camping skills loving suck.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA no loving way. The Houndmaster has one of the best camping skills in the game: his +Scouting skill.

Give him the +Dodge Ancestral Trinket and the Sun/Moon Cloak and pack the Ancestor's Map in one of your Healer's trinket slots and you are good to go. Have the Houndmaster use his Guard skill on your point-man (preferably a Crusader who can mark himself) every turn of combat and watch as your party takes next to no damage. All the +Scouting you get from the Houndmaster's camping skill and the Ancestor's Map means that you'll always be able to plot the safest and most efficient route and further minimize the damage your party takes.

It's essential to realize that the Houndmaster is, at heart, a non-combat/damage avoidance class. If you're just using him for his ability to deal damage to and from any rank and his (admittedly quite good) Stun skill, you are woefully underutilizing the Houndmaster. Think about this: how many points of health can your best healer restore in a single round? 20? If they're lucky? A Houndmaster can easily dodge that much damage on a single attack--and he often does it multiple times per round! Having a Houndmaster in the party can easily save you 20+ points of damage per round at Champion level. He's so good at avoiding damage for your party that you can easily make due with only an Arbalest as your primary healer. If you really want to see how sick the Dodge stat is, bring a Grave Robber (to initiate with Shadow Fade) or another Houndmaster to Guard the OTHER party member and you can easily make it through Long dungeons with only the Crusader's sporadic healing.

The Houndmaster is astoundingly good. I am genuinely astonished that he got buffed in the most recent patch because he sure as poo poo didn't need it. Stop playing the Houndmaster like every other class in the game. There are plenty of damage classes already! The Houndmaster is his own thing and he is amazing at it! Try using him the way I suggested. It will give you a whole new perspective on the class.

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

The giants in the Weald are seriously not loving around anymore after this last patch. I had one hit my Hellion for 51 and bring her from almost full health to Death's Door in one hit, then the very next turn hit my other Hellion for 41. I had less trouble against the Hag.

Time_pants posted:

Think about this: how many points of health can your best healer restore in a single round? 20? If they're lucky? A Houndmaster can easily dodge that much damage on a single attack--and he often does it multiple times per round! Having a Houndmaster in the party can easily save you 20+ points of damage per round at Champion level. He's so good at avoiding damage for your party that you can easily make due with only an Arbalest as your primary healer.
I feel like there are too many monsters that attack ranks 3 and 4 for this to work. The archers in the Ruins are pretty common and attack ranks 3 and 4 pretty hard. The mushroom dudes like to blight ranks 3 and 4 a lot. Maybe it would work in the Warrens, I can't remember if anything there attacks the back row.

I do really like Guard Dog for boss fights though. Works real well against the Prophet and Swing King since you get to know in advance who they're gonna attack.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

GladRagKraken posted:

I never thought about it that way but that is exactly what happens.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

The giants in the Weald are seriously not loving around anymore after this last patch. I had one hit my Hellion for 51 and bring her from almost full health to Death's Door in one hit, then the very next turn hit my other Hellion for 41. I had less trouble against the Hag.

I feel like there are too many monsters that attack ranks 3 and 4 for this to work. The archers in the Ruins are pretty common and attack ranks 3 and 4 pretty hard. The mushroom dudes like to blight ranks 3 and 4 a lot. Maybe it would work in the Warrens, I can't remember if anything there attacks the back row.

I do really like Guard Dog for boss fights though. Works real well against the Prophet and Swing King since you get to know in advance who they're gonna attack.

That is true. There are some enemy formations that focus on the back two rows. However, once you identify those, you can stick your Houndmaster in the 3-spot and Guard the 4-spot and you've got great coverage. It shouldn't be difficult to adapt since the Houndmaster generally gets the most mileage out of his skills in the back ranks of the formation, anyway. Plus, even on the off-chance the Houndmaster doesn't successfully guard (and it is an off-chance with him sporting 90+ Dodge starting from his second action), he still eats the damage on behalf of the party member he was Guarding--which is actually a good thing on account of the Houndmaster's self-heals are outrageously powerful. As combat winds down and there are only one or two baddies left, the Houndmaster's other skills have a real chance to shine. The final round affords the Houndmaster ample opportunity to heal himself for a significant portion of whatever damage he absorbed, provide the party with a generous amount of stress-relief, or even rap a baddie on the noggin to Stun it and prevent any further damage (generally I only do this if I have a Grave Robber in the party to shuffle the Houndmaster into the 2-spot).

I'll reiterate my thesis because it is something I will stand by until they haul me off to the crazy house: the Houndmaster is one of the best classes in the game when used correctly.

By the way, remember when people said Protection was broken and overpowered? Yeah, gently caress that. Dodge is, and always has been, stronger than Protection, doubly so with new classes like the Man-at-Arms and Houndmaster who have the ability to confer big Dodge buffs onto other party members. At least with Protection-as-flat-damage-reduction, tanky characters were still susceptible to crits, DoTs, and debuffs. Dodge just flat-out says "nuh uh" to all of those. And Houndmaster is the God King of the Nuh-uh Tribe.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
HM is definitely a strong class since the last patch. However, he does need certain trinkets more than the other classes before he becomes powerful. I took a MAA/HM/Occ/Arb group against champion swine king, but prior to the fight I forgot to respec everyone into their boss skills so I went in with no guard abilities for the MAA or the HM. Turns out I didn't need them. With the doggie treat buff active I had the HM crit for over 80 damage and regular hits for over 50 somehow. Killed the fat bastard in round 3 and waltzed out of there. I felt like chump too because I could've saved myself some trouble and had the Occ mark instead of use his weakness curse. Not looking forward to the champion Formless Flesh, short of bring 4 HMs and spamming the four rank bleed attack. I've been finding that attack everything bleed skill is really good with berserker charm + dog collar, my current preferred HM setup is the generic attack, the four rank bleed attack for the start of a fight (especially when I have a Highwayman), guard, and his stun.

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

Time_pants posted:

That is true. There are some enemy formations that focus on the back two rows. However, once you identify those, you can stick your Houndmaster in the 3-spot and Guard the 4-spot and you've got great coverage. It shouldn't be difficult to adapt since the Houndmaster generally gets the most mileage out of his skills in the back ranks of the formation, anyway.
OK, I can kind of see this working. If you have someone in the 3 spot with an ability that moves them forward, like the Grave Robber's Lunge, you can do something like x/Grave Robber/Houndmaster/x, then if you see a formation where you'd rather protect the back rows than the front, have the Grave Robber move forward so that the Houndmaster ends up moving back. That's pretty interesting.

I suppose another strategy would be to have a team where you can do heavy DPS to the back row, since that's where guys who attack your own back row generally live. Get rid of all those guys fast and have the Houndmaster guard the guy in rank 1. Something like Arbalist/Highwayman/Houndmaster/Hellion.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

OK, I can kind of see this working. If you have someone in the 3 spot with an ability that moves them forward, like the Grave Robber's Lunge, you can do something like x/Grave Robber/Houndmaster/x, then if you see a formation where you'd rather protect the back rows than the front, have the Grave Robber move forward so that the Houndmaster ends up moving back. That's pretty interesting.

I suppose another strategy would be to have a team where you can do heavy DPS to the back row, since that's where guys who attack your own back row generally live. Get rid of all those guys fast and have the Houndmaster guard the guy in rank 1. Something like Arbalist/Highwayman/Houndmaster/Hellion.

The latter is actually one of my favorite setups. The Arbalest's healing is definitely good enough to get you through most situations. If things get dire, you can have the Houndmaster revert to Guarding the Arbalest until the battle is over so she can camp or eat something to heal up. Really, the only unfortunate drawback to having the Arbalest as the lone healer is that she cannot heal herself. If she could, though, I think she'd excel far too much in basically every aspect to be a balanced character.

I really do like Grave Robber and Houndmaster on the same team, though. Especially since the Grave Robber's base damage and a few of her weaker skills got buffed in the recent balance patch, I think she makes a good addition to the party. If you do go with Grave Robber, you will want to have an Arbalest in the 4-spot to supplement your damage. Particularly in areas with high-Protection monsters, you might find yourself leaning a bit too heavily on getting a lucky crit from the Grave Robber to see you through. If you get a Surprise round (and you definitely will with all that +Scouting), you can even have the Houndmaster initiate by applying a Mark on any nasty double-wide monsters you want to dispatch quickly. The new Houndmaster/Arbalest synergy in the latest balance patch is possibly my favorite new bit of mechanical depth that I'm definitely looking forward to experimenting with more.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
Here is some footage from the Cove, the new Siren boss has a pretty :stare: ability to bring one of your heroes over to the enemy side.

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete
I can't wait to take a shot at the Cove myself. The boss' ability will be nasty if she nabs the healer, but either the player got very lucky or the Siren is very susceptible to stun.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

hell yeah bunch of spiders just death's-doored Reynauld, the occultist popped off a really handy 0-heal, then a second spider pierced right through a 90% deathblow resistance

Dismas will be so upset :saddowns:

Radiochromatic
Feb 17, 2011
On the one hand, I'm really looking forward to enemies that have buffs and heals. On the other hand, I am so loving tired of back-row enemies having skills that only exist to increase your stress bar. Give it a stun or something instead, for gently caress's sake, not every creature needs to be the exact same.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Radiochromatic posted:

On the one hand, I'm really looking forward to enemies that have buffs and heals. On the other hand, I am so loving tired of back-row enemies having skills that only exist to increase your stress bar. Give it a stun or something instead, for gently caress's sake, not every creature needs to be the exact same.

Well there are those mushroom things in the Weald that give you horrible blight effects, but I do agree that the new red fish monster doesn't seem to be adding anything interesting or new.

brother-joseph
Jan 1, 2009

The houndmaster is my favorite class. I use him effectively as a damage dealer too. I typically give him the spiked collar and then usually a sun/moon ring to up those damage %s. This morning I killed the level 3 Flesh with him on turn two. Fed the pup a treat, then hit Flesh with 2 hound's harries and 2 if it bleeds. He died of bleed damage on his third round. The rest of my team was just dodge buffing and healing.

But he kicks rear end at control with his great stun and his high dodge protection. Dodge is so great in this game at the higher levels.

brother-joseph
Jan 1, 2009

Also a new favorite trick of mine for runs is with man at arms and the trinket that gives you +8 SPD round 1. Have him bolster for a dodge and speed buff for your team. Then you use your newly sped up ranged guys to pop off the weak enemies before they can move. Round 2 have him buff again and anything left over isn't hitting your mans.

The buffs (especially dodge) seem to go from useless at level 1 to nasty at level 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brother-joseph
Jan 1, 2009

The more I play this game the more it feels like healing is a crutch. My favorite team right now is hellion, maa, houndmaster, arbalest. Maa dodge buffs everyone so they don't get hit and finishes off guys before they can attack. Everyone else dodges and deals damage. You have healing when you have a spare turn but you shouldn't need it outside of camp or you're either really unlucky or playing it wrong.

It even works at lower levels if you swap the man at arms for a crusader or leper so that they can provide a bit more healing.

Vestal is great but when I started I leaned on her too hard. Healing is good but mitigating damage by killing quickly is much better.