Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Adlet kind of rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Srice posted:

I don't view that as a spoiler, more like confirmation that the series isn't going to do some lame as hell cop-out and will stick to the premise of the mystery.

Right, but any of us could read the LNs for himself, if we chose to do so.(the first three volumes are translated and published, free but illicitly, on the major LN translation site) and reading them would take us a whole lot less time than waiting for the episode each week and watching the episode.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I've chosen to watch the show, and then maybe read the LNs after it's done if I've thoroughly enough enjoyed it. I enjoy discussing it with (presumably) unknowing fellow viewers of the show, as well.

But each time someone who has read the books comes in to say something like "Oh nobody's guessed it yet" or provides untagged clarification of things like "Oh, my best friend guessed the secret, but nobody in the thread has even come close", it sort of cheapens the discussion.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

a kitten posted:

It's true!

I'm done reading this ridiculous thread tho.

maybeflan posted:

Sorry, Cantaloupe.

I only skim myself, skipping the super-long posts entirely.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Kytrarewn posted:

I enjoy discussing it with (presumably) unknowing fellow viewers of the show, as well.

But each time someone who has read the books comes in to say something like "Oh nobody's guessed it yet" or provides untagged clarification of things like "Oh, my best friend guessed the secret, but nobody in the thread has even come close", it sort of cheapens the discussion.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I have never read the LN either but I hope the anime spends its entire run working out the traitor, and then resolves the rest of it with a text-only epilogue after the end credits. Because this is way more interesting than the demon lord plot they were talking up in the first episode.

"And then they saved the world because legendary heroes are super effective against demon lords, and that's why it tried so hard to stop them. The End."

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I hope the anime ends with some random confused person walking up to the group after the barrier is dispelled and being like "So I was told I was supposed to come here" and pulls out a Brave tattoo and it cuts to black with a slide whistle and Hans saying "WELL HERE WE GO AGAIN"

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
I hope the anime ends with them all deciding to live in the fog temple forever.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Pavlov posted:

I hope the anime ends with them all deciding to live in the fog temple forever.

External world overrun, a small sustainable human society living eternally in the fog.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
TV calendar shows the series stopping on ep 12, so it seems it's all volume 1 to the very end.

Not that common to give an entire season to a single novel, given that there are 5 more books out.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Rangpur posted:

I have never read the LN either but I hope the anime spends its entire run working out the traitor, and then resolves the rest of it with a text-only epilogue after the end credits. Because this is way more interesting than the demon lord plot they were talking up in the first episode.

"And then they saved the world because legendary heroes are super effective against demon lords, and that's why it tried so hard to stop them. The End."

Yeah I'm primarily interested in the mystery, heroes banding together to beat the big bad demon are so commonplace that I wouldn't mind if this was the only season we got

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

alcharagia posted:

I hope the anime ends with some random confused person walking up to the group after the barrier is dispelled and being like "So I was told I was supposed to come here" and pulls out a Brave tattoo and it cuts to black with a slide whistle and Hans saying "WELL HERE WE GO AGAIN"

That one will be real as well.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

darkgray posted:

TV calendar shows the series stopping on ep 12, so it seems it's all volume 1 to the very end.

Not that common to give an entire season to a single novel, given that there are 5 more books out.

lots of ln adapations are fast paced mishmashes and rokka has had good pacing so far though

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Srice posted:

Yeah I'm primarily interested in the mystery, heroes banding together to beat the big bad demon are so commonplace that I wouldn't mind if this was the only season we got

i would also accept them somehow getting into various mystery situations as they try and fight the demon god, even if such a thing would be contrived

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

i would also accept them somehow getting into various mystery situations as they try and fight the demon god, even if such a thing would be contrived

I would not mind that, at all.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Kild posted:

That one will be real as well.

Well of course.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

alcharagia posted:

Adlet kind of rules.

Adlet is the coolest Brave when words aren't coming out of his mouth.

I get that the arrogant self-confidence is an important part of his character, but it's annoying.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

alcharagia posted:

No, no... That just doesn't make any sense at all.

He would say, "Here we go nyaagain~" Followed by the rest of the cast going "OH HANS"

of bees
Dec 28, 2009

JimmyT64 posted:

The main reason I think its the sun saint and not the fog saint is that I don't remember the fog saint being mentioned at all in the story, whereas the sun saint has come up several times.

Meta reasoning, I know, but the point of a detective story is that all the clues are there in the story, with no "Mystery person X"/"Mystery power X" allowed. As has been mentioned before, all clues must be presented to you in a good whodunit.

The fog saint has been brought up only when talking about the barrier so far, but she has been brought up. Also, there are still four episodes, so I imagine we could get some more clues as to which saint is helping the traitor, if a saint is indeed helping.

That said, I still don't see what's in it for anyone. Betraying the braves just means mankind gets wiped out. Flamie at least has the excuse of being not entirely human, and presumably if it's Hans he could be in it for the money. But I can't see any motive for anyone besides those two at this point.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Rokka season 2:

"poo poo! We'll never defeat the Fiend Lord if we can't get these geese AND this wolf across the river in two trips!"

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

of bees posted:

The fog saint has been brought up only when talking about the barrier so far, but she has been brought up. Also, there are still four episodes, so I imagine we could get some more clues as to which saint is helping the traitor, if a saint is indeed helping.

That said, I still don't see what's in it for anyone. Betraying the braves just means mankind gets wiped out. Flamie at least has the excuse of being not entirely human, and presumably if it's Hans he could be in it for the money. But I can't see any motive for anyone besides those two at this point.

its the girl that was on the run from being assassinated for political reasons and could possibly see humans as irredeemable and thus need 2 be destroyed. she freaks out cus Adlet makes her hope again.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Rangpur posted:

Rokka season 2:

"poo poo! We'll never defeat the Fiend Lord if we can't get these geese AND this wolf across the river in two trips!"

That one has already been solved.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

of bees posted:

Adlet's flashback at least implied that humans loyal to Fiends will be spared. Somebody could betray humanity out of misanthropy or selfishness, or maybe they feel the battle against the Majin is futile. Hostages could also be involved. There are plenty of pretty generic motives that could apply. Ultimately I don't think the motive is super important here, so long as it's not "lol because I felt like it."

e: I guess you're looking for specific motives and, yeah, not every character has something apparent like Hans only valuing money, Flamie being half-Fiend, or Nachetanya being the victim of an almost-coup.

dogsicle fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Aug 27, 2015

Miss Nomer
May 7, 2007
Saving the world in a thong

ViggyNash posted:

Adlet is the coolest Brave when words aren't coming out of his mouth.

I get that the arrogant self-confidence is an important part of his character, but it's annoying.
I'm not sure how this happened but I HATED Hans in the first episode he showed up and now a few episodes later he's my favorite character.

of bees
Dec 28, 2009

dogsicle posted:

Adlet's flashback at least implied that humans loyal to Fiends will be spared. Somebody could betray humanity out of misanthropy or selfishness, or maybe they feel the battle against the Majin is futile. Hostages could also be involved. There are plenty of pretty generic motives that could apply. Ultimately I don't think the motive is super important here, so long as it's not "lol because I felt like it."

e: I guess you're looking for specific motives and, yeah, not every character has something apparent like Hans only valuing money, Flamie being half-Fiend, or Nachetanya being the victim of an almost-coup.

Yeah, I was looking for more character-specific motivations. General things like 'betray humanity and live' wouldn't be as strong unless it was made very personal to the character it's about (IE 'betray other humans and we will spare your family, who you have talked about before' for Chamot, or 'betray all other humans, and we will spare your country' for Nachetanya, or 'betray the normal humans, and we will spare the saints' for Maura). In mysteries, motive is an important part to figuring out who the guilty party is. Having the motive be some generic thing that could apply to anyone would have a negative effect on the story as a whole.

Kild posted:

its the girl that was on the run from being assassinated for political reasons and could possibly see humans as irredeemable and thus need 2 be destroyed. she freaks out cus Adlet makes her hope again.

I could see that work if there was any indication that Nachetanya was actually like that. So far she seems to be a reasonably well-adjusted person who doesn't hate humans.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

of bees posted:

Yeah, I was looking for more character-specific motivations. General things like 'betray humanity and live' wouldn't be as strong unless it was made very personal to the character it's about (IE 'betray other humans and we will spare your family, who you have talked about before' for Chamot, or 'betray all other humans, and we will spare your country' for Nachetanya, or 'betray the normal humans, and we will spare the saints' for Maura). In mysteries, motive is an important part to figuring out who the guilty party is. Having the motive be some generic thing that could apply to anyone would have a negative effect on the story as a whole.

I could see that work if there was any indication that Nachetanya was actually like that. So far she seems to be a reasonably well-adjusted person who doesn't hate humans.

I agree and thats why I thought there wasn't a fake. But since that guy came in and spoiled that there's actually a fake it's 90% likely its her or they give Chester's backstory and its her for some reason. But another guy came and spoiled we already have all the clues needed by like episode 5 so...

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Miss Nomer posted:

I'm not sure how this happened but I HATED Hans in the first episode he showed up and now a few episodes later he's my favorite character.
I really hated Hans too and expected to hate him all the way to the end, but as soon as he realised why Adlet can't be the traitor and started helping him I completely turned around on him.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

JimmyT64 posted:

If that's the case, then Bunnygirl is almost certainly the culprit, with her crazy berserk mode act at the altar being the ACTUAL activation of the barrier.

I like this idea especially since I'm really curious what going berserk was all about, but that scene doesn't seem to meet the requirements of the activation procedure.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Hans turning into a hella sweet bro to Adlet is p great

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i knew hans was the best character from the start :colbert:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

TWIST FIST posted:

i knew hans was the best character from the start :colbert:

alcharagia, two and a half weeks ago posted:

Flamie is at a solid 3rd on the list of Who Is The Best. She is above Maura, Goldov, Nash, and Chamot in that order.

The implication was that Hans was the best, and like you I am vindicated in being proven of this fact :colbert:

might have to bump up chamot now that we know that she barfs out satans though

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Totally Maura.

Rest in peace theories about a separate fog effect being the trick. And likely any way for Nash to activate the temple as well without some kind of twin or doppleganger thing going on.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
New episode. Flamie seems a pretty good observer of people. "Maura will have returned to have convinced Hans and will be coming after you" is more or less what's apparently about to happen.

Seems like the idea of the culprit being someone who created a fake fog was shot down this episode. And that Saint powers have limits; the more extraordinary the effect the more difficult it is to pull off was clearly establish here.

Since everything got a turn at the pillar it isn't obvious who the culprit is. Nash is the most suspicious, because of her freakout; but at this point I'd have to rewatch those episodes.

e: Hans gives a good overview of his pov; and I suspect Adlet has part of what happened down. So it needs to be someone (most likely Maura) who was leading the conversation or otherwise was encouraging Hans once he took over. We'd need to see what was she doing at the top, how was it different? If the solution was her activating it after she initially arrives.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Aug 29, 2015

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Raenir Salazar posted:

Since everything got a turn at the pillar it isn't obvious who the culprit is. Nash is the most suspicious, because of her freakout; but at this point I'd have to rewatch those episodes.
If the fog goes up along with the misdirection in a combo barrier, it had to have been done before Adlet entered the temple per the "1 barrier can be set up to activate in an area" rule we got this episode. Nash freaked out and broke stuff after Adlet entered the temple, so it's unrelated.

Unless there's a serious error in the facts somewhere, there's no way it could have been Nash now unless she can activate the temple from a long distance away with no line of sight while fighting fiends with two other people. Which seems infeasible due to the "saint powers have serious practical limits" info dump from Flamie. And it couldn't have been before the fight with a delayed activation, because not all the Braves were in the radius until then. And then if Nash did sneak out to the temple before the fiend fight, they would have noticed her absence.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 29, 2015

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
The fog before activation theory was only overturned because the Fog Saint couldn't have done it. What about the Sun Saint, who has been brought up in the story multiple times?

Maura + Sun Saint seems like the best bet to me. No one else seems as determined to kill Adlet.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

brainwrinkle posted:

The fog before activation theory was only overturned because the Fog Saint couldn't have done it. What about the Sun Saint, who has been brought up in the story multiple times?
Flamie says there's no way even the fog saint could have done it if she wanted to because you can only put one barrier in an area. Similarly from that same narrative from Flamie, it would have taken too long to fill the area with water vapor without a prepared barrier too, even if it did hang around as fog.

So any story that involves the sun saint creating fake fog needs to figure out how she did it in such a short time with no prepared barrier to activate. It would probably take an entire episode just to line that out at the last moment, so I really really doubt that's going to be the case.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

And Maura probably doesn't even need any fake fog to do the things to activate the barrier, so involving the sun saint is extraneous.

Another interesting thing to note in relation to Adlet's hypothesis is that Maura's the one that talked to fort guy first. I don't think fortress guy was lying to everyone like Adlet thinks, but it is possible that the 7th could have replaced fort guy with a demon, and that Maura was the one with the opportunity since she met with fort guy alone. I don't know how this would matter at this point though, so it might just be a red herring.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I wouldn't be surprised if the "the barrier wasn't actually active until they did poo poo in the room" thing still winds up being true, even if the theory leading up to it was false.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Blhue posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the "the barrier wasn't actually active until they did poo poo in the room" thing still winds up being true, even if the theory leading up to it was false.
Unless Flamie is lying or overridden about the one barrier per area thing, it is not possible for the barrier to have activated after Adlet came in. That was one of the two critical flaws in Adlet's hypothesis.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
First fog's not a barrier, it's real fog. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

alcharagia posted:

First fog's not a barrier, it's real fog. :colbert:
That was the other critical flaw, at least as far as saint powers are concerned. There's no way to get that much fog out of saint powers without a second barrier, even using water vapor.

It does seem vaguely plausible at a glance that the bombings of the fiends created an initial fog, but it would still be kind of weird for it to be over that specific and well-defined area so suddenly while no bombs were being dropped. The bombing had seemingly stopped by the time Adlet arrived at the temple and saw the changeling fiend.

That might explain why there was little damage to the temple, but I also don't recall the fiends bombing a wide enough area for the entire barrier.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Aug 29, 2015

• Locked thread