Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

Elfgames posted:

I mean sure but the decades of smoking seem to have left granny goku with a much deeper voice than she used to have, it doesn't bother me much like some of the older dbz stuff.

I think Grandma Goku doesn't bother me so much because the half dead fucker voicing King Kai bothers me so much more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Manchild Goku having a granny voice fits well. And he's been acting like way more of a manchild in Super than people *remember* him acting in much of Z, which is probably why a lot of people aren't as thrown off.

Kai's voice is absolutely terrible. It doesn't even sound like the character is talking because nothing fits his gestures and facial expressions, it's like someone is let's playing in a monotone while watching the show.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Granny Goku only works because that's how it's always been for Japan. If it had been someone entirely different with a normal adult voice like the English dub and they changed it suddenly to a 70 year old woman everyone would go insane.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

New Leaf posted:

If it had been someone entirely different with a normal adult voice like the English dub and they changed it suddenly to a 70 year old woman everyone would go insane.
The (Cloverway?) dub that basically only covers post-Recoome-to-exploded-Namek from the Freeza arc kind of does that to Goku, if I remember. All of a sudden he hit Super Saiyan and the dub voice became the most generic, whitewashed, boring white guy ever.

"I am the enemy of all evil" :geno:

I think DBZA even pokes fun of it for like half a second.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

HGH posted:

Can Goku beat John Cena though?

If Joh Stewart can beat John Cena, then Goku can easily beat him.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

HGH posted:

Can Goku beat John Cena though?

And there's a Dragon Ball Parallels character idea.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
"I don't need to see you, I can sense your ki." :ssj:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

sharktamer posted:

I think Grandma Goku doesn't bother me so much because the half dead fucker voicing King Kai bothers me so much more.

Really sad that Japan VAs are literally keep going until you die. I know he's old but goddamn his voice doesn't match how King Kai's gestures/reactions are at all.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I just hope JP Goku doesn't end up like that other grandma who is still acting despite suffering severe dementia.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Didn't the Ocean cast come back at one point and produce a completely separate English dub that only aired in Europe or something? I have a vague fever dream memory of that.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

HD DAD posted:

Didn't the Ocean cast come back at one point and produce a completely separate English dub that only aired in Europe or something? I have a vague fever dream memory of that.

Yeah, the Ocean Group dubbed the remainder of the series using the same scripts as Funimation.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

HD DAD posted:

Canada!

it's super weird!

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
loving Funimation had that big Bluray sale a couple weeks ago.. first my order was late, then they only shipped half of it. Now my wife is hooked on DBZ and I'm missing the Cell Saga and they don't have an ETA. But if you look at the product page on their site, they don't indicate a shortage of that season. I could pay $10 more and have it from Amazon tomorrow but they "can't" cancel the remainder of my order without me returning everything they already shipped.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Blockhouse posted:

Canada!

it's super weird!

It showed here in the UK too, alongside Funimation, it's how we got some of the Buu stuff before the US, for example.

The DK Rap
May 12, 2010
You know him well.
It also had background music re-purposed from Mega Man: The Animated Series

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Super Fighting Saiyan! Goku!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

HGH posted:

Super Fighting Saiyan! SaiyaMan!

FTFY

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought King Kai sounded like he was sleepwalking through his lines.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I wish King Kai's VA wasn't also the narrator because he sucks the hype out of everything at the start of the episode.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012
So was japanese king kai's voice ever fitting the character's actions? Or was he always like this?

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

Ekusukariba posted:

So was japanese king kai's voice ever fitting the character's actions? Or was he always like this?

He use to fit his actions and speak with a ton of emotion he is just a loving mummy now and can't do it. It's sad. That being said I always prefered English King Kai.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Ekusukariba posted:

I found him to be fine in Battle of Gods.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

I found him to be fine in Battle of Gods.

Was fine in Kai too I thought.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

That's because his aids hadn't metastasized to every organ in his body yet.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Ekusukariba posted:

He is eighty four years old and almost certainly fighting a serious issue. Best guess among people I've talked to is that he came down with something shortly before he was supposed to record his lines and due to the short timetable for dragonball super they didn't really have the opportunity to go back and reanimate the scenes in which the character's level of emotion is way higher than he can muster.

He might improve again if he gets over whatever is causing his problem, or he might just be too old to do yelling scenes in which case I expect to see him written out/have his scenes be more contemplative than OMFG yelling.

Its noticable that he doesn't appear at all in Resurrection of F which is actually somewhat surprising considering how much they love to have him at least make a cameo in the movies.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

They better not write out King Kai :mad:

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

after the first 70 episodes of super they have to write out goku

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

he had a good run

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

arguably the best of runs

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Man, I can't even imagine. They'd have to literally recast Goku, Gohan and Goten all at once.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Ruggington posted:

after the first 70 episodes of super they have to write out goku

I'm ok with this as long as they also write out gohan

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Does Krillin have only one Japanese voice actor like Goku?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Mraagvpeine posted:

Does Krillin have only one Japanese voice actor like Goku?

Yes, mayumi tanaka has never not been krillin

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
So did the Kai Buu Saga ever actually get released, and if so, did they ever dub it?

And where the hell can I watch it?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

So did the Kai Buu Saga ever actually get released, and if so, did they ever dub it?

And where the hell can I watch it?

Yes and Yes however the english version hasn't been released for some reason.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
:lol: at Shenron being held together by super glue

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Augus posted:

We need like a million times more 18 in this series.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

Augus posted:

We need like a million times more 18 in this series.

:captainpop:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

:stwoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

sharktamer posted:

Yeah that FF7A video is the worst thing I've seen in ages. Do people still think bleeping swears is the height of comedy?

As somebody who doesn't even like the Abriged stuff for the most part, isn't FFVII kind of the perfect thing for a bleeping swears gag? Since the game already does it constantly for Barrett and Cid.

• Locked thread