Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Laughing Man posted:

The LA Times recently ran a story about the Child Exploitation Section of the Toronto Sex Crimes Unit, which contained a mind-boggling statistic: of the more than 100 offenders the unit has arrested over the last four years, "all but one" has been "a hard-core Trekkie."

https://boingboing.net/2005/04/28/la-times-pedophilia.html

"I have now spoken to Detective Ian Lamond of the Child Exploitation Section of the Toronto Sex Crimes Unit and he claims they were misquoted, or if that figure was given it was done so jokingly. Nevertheless, he does claim that a majority of those arrested show "at least a passing interest in Star Trek, if not a strong interest."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of screwed up Star Trek fans, remember the story about the German cannibal and the guy he met over the Internet who wanted to be eaten?

quote:

On the evening of March 9, the two men went up to the bedroom in Meiwes' rambling timbered farmhouse. Mr Brandes swallowed 20 sleeping tablets and half a bottle of schnapps before Meiwes cut off Brandes' penis, with his agreement, and fried it for both of them to eat.

Brandes - by this stage bleeding heavily - then took a bath, while Meiwes read a Star Trek novel.

In the early hours of the morning, he finished off his victim by stabbing him in the neck with a large kitchen knife, kissing him first.

The cannibal then chopped Mr Brandes into pieces and put several bits of him in his freezer, next to a takeaway pizza, and buried the skull in his garden.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2003/dec/04/germany.lukeharding

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
what the gently caress star trek thread

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Omi-Polari posted:

Speaking of screwed up Star Trek fans, remember the story about the German cannibal and the guy he met over the Internet who wanted to be eaten?

That whole case was like "what if Hannibal wasn't a gourmand and instead was a goon who doesn't know how to cook and has a freezer full of frozen pizzas."

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Omi-Polari posted:

I think my favorite part is how he literally got thrown in with the leftovers.

Holy loving poo poo that story still creeps me out.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Thread needs more drinkin' kanar with Damar.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I can't tell if the Cardassian uniforms are supposed to be rubber or not. I used to think they were metal when I was a kid, but in a bunch of episodes you can see them bend like rubber and it doesn't seem like they're trying to hide it.

Tyrannosword
Sep 15, 2006

Fallen Rib
Going back a few pages to the whole "This is how they'd fight a war!" thing, was there ever any documented use of the transporters as weapons? Seems to me you could do a lot of damage with those - beaming explosives directly into the enemy's chest cavity, for example, or just locking onto an enemy, converting their matter into energy and beaming that energy wholesale into the middle of an enemy ship for maximum explosive fun (there must be a whole lot of energy buried in the atoms of a humanoid body). You could literally use enemy soldiers as ammunition to blow up their comrades!

Not really the Federation's style, admittedly, but wouldn't the Romulans and Cardassians at least attempt that sort of thing?

Sorry to interrupt cannibal-pedo talk, by the way :ohdear:

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Entropic posted:

I can't tell if the Cardassian uniforms are supposed to be rubber or not. I used to think they were metal when I was a kid, but in a bunch of episodes you can see them bend like rubber and it doesn't seem like they're trying to hide it.

They are made of the hides of dead founders.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Does Conservation of Momentum apply with Star Trek transporters? It seems like it must not because otherwise when you beamed someone up from a planet they'd smear across the wall. But then there's that episode where Ezri makes a magic rifle that transports moving bullets, so :shrug:

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
maybe you can choose the reference frame you're transporting into, although at that point you could teleport a bullet without firing it first and still kill someone

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Entropic posted:

Does Conservation of Momentum apply with Star Trek transporters? It seems like it must not because otherwise when you beamed someone up from a planet they'd smear across the wall. But then there's that episode where Ezri makes a magic rifle that transports moving bullets, so :shrug:

And the feeling of being inside the wall when transported at high warp. So the answer is, yes, when they need it to and not when ever they don't specify it does.

Also when they transported fake Tal Shiar Troi off that Romulan ship she beamed in facing sideways, a series first. This never happened again in any other episode.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Entropic posted:

I always assumed they are supposed to be metal and it's just bad camera shots.

If it's supposed to be rubber the Cardassian Union is more like the Cardassian Civil Union am I right?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
You just set up a vacuum chamber with something falling in it and transport it to the top every time it's about to hit the bottom. It will just keep accelerating until you've got it going a significant fraction of the speed of light and then instead of teleporting it to the top of the chamber you teleport it to outside, aimed at someone you don't like.

You want to put this setup on the lowest deck of your ship though, in case you lose power.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

flexible but strong science fiction meta-material which to our modern eyes looks like rubber

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Come to think of it, you ought to be able to weaponize artificial gravity pretty easily too.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Entropic posted:

You just set up a vacuum chamber with something falling in it and transport it to the top every time it's about to hit the bottom. It will just keep accelerating until you've got it going a significant fraction of the speed of light and then instead of teleporting it to the top of the chamber you teleport it to outside, aimed at someone you don't like.

You want to put this setup on the lowest deck of your ship though, in case you lose power.

That would overload the gravity plates!

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Germstore posted:

That would overload the gravity plates!

You could do it in a real gravity well. Even more dangerous if you lose power though, because then you suddenly cause the equivalent of gigaton meteor strike in your basement.

You'd think terrorists would have thought of this.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Germstore posted:

flexible but strong science fiction meta-material which to our modern eyes looks like rubber

Sadly "Future Tech" is just the Sci Fi equivalent of "Whenever you see something like that, it was done by an evil wizard"

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Entropic posted:

Yeah sometimes they didn't seem to give a poo poo.

http://en.memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/The_Maquis,_Part_I_
"When Dukat and Benjamin Sisko enter the Promenade, having just returned to Deep Space 9 after visiting the Demilitarized Zone, it is obvious that the chest piece of Dukat's costume has detached itself from the underlying material. The rubber armor even catches a few times on the actor's lower arm as it swings while he walks."

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I generally like to think that Star Trek doesn't show the scale of its actual wars, due to budgets and its high-minded ideals, but basically the ground war scenes as i saw in the episode where Jake goes to the planet under Klingon attack seemed pretty reminiscent of poo poo you'd see in Warhammer 40k. Just huge numbers of guys getting shredded apart.

Hell, I love that the Defiant is apparently quite capable of destroying an entire planet by itself--or certainly eliminating its capacity to sustain life.

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Didn't the Dominion war kill like 6 trillion people?

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I generally like to think that Star Trek doesn't show the scale of its actual wars, due to budgets and its high-minded ideals,

I tend to assume Star Trek doesn't show the scale of its actual wars because there's just no way to write the same 5 anchor characters into every single squad of every single army a thousand times over.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Entropic posted:

Why would it accelerate though?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Fister Roboto posted:

Why would it accelerate though?

Because that's what falling is. Drop something in a vacuum chamber in earth-standard gravity and it will accelerate at 9.8 m/s^2 downward.

Normally something in a gravity well only gets to accelerate so much beause a) with atmospheric resistance it will eventually reach terminal velocity and b) it will eventually hit the ground. Droping something in a vacuum eliminates a) and if transporters conserve momentum you can eliminate b)

Haven't you ever played Portal and put one portal on the ceiling and the other just below it on the floor and jumped in?

Entropic fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Aug 28, 2015

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Tyrannosword posted:

Going back a few pages to the whole "This is how they'd fight a war!" thing, was there ever any documented use of the transporters as weapons? Seems to me you could do a lot of damage with those - beaming explosives directly into the enemy's chest cavity, for example, or just locking onto an enemy, converting their matter into energy and beaming that energy wholesale into the middle of an enemy ship for maximum explosive fun (there must be a whole lot of energy buried in the atoms of a humanoid body). You could literally use enemy soldiers as ammunition to blow up their comrades!

Not really the Federation's style, admittedly, but wouldn't the Romulans and Cardassians at least attempt that sort of thing?

Sorry to interrupt cannibal-pedo talk, by the way :ohdear:

Shields prevent this. When shields aren't up, you're already dead anyway. So there wasn't much investment in this.

They did do it in a couple Voyager episodes though for lols.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bkw69E_C4g

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

If the writers thought about it hard enough they'd probably decide the teleporter has to use energy equal to what the object gains. So you'd be making a really complicated railgun. Because you can teleport to (mostly) arbitrary locations it would make sense that you could teleport to arbitrary speeds as well assuming you have the energy to pay for it.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Germstore posted:

If the writers thought about it

Big ol' if there.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Naxuz posted:

Space combat in Trek only makes sense when you realize that ever since Star Trek 2, the whole thing was literally meant to be Horatio Hornblower in Space, with a large helping of Das Boot. That's why there are no fighters, FTL missiles

whoa whoa whoa what the gently caress do you think a photon torpedo is

you launch that poo poo while you're at warp, those fuckers have warp sustainer engines that kick in

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
lol if you play Star Trek Online and haven't built a full-scale replica of the Enterprise bridge in your gaming room complete with blinking LCARS interfaces

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
*pops open tricorder app on smartphone*

*begins scanning thread for signs of nerdiness*

*tricorder breaks*

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Romulan ships look like they welded a pair of Klingon Birds of Prey together at the nacelles.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Omi-Polari posted:

*pops open tricorder app on smartphone*

*begins scanning thread for signs of nerdiness*

*tricorder breaks*

I'm always tempted to tricorder my phone up.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Tyrannosword posted:

There was the time Scotty beamed all the tribbles onto the Klingon ship, that's sort of biological warfare.

Also, Kirk stole not one but two cloaking devices, the federation surely knew how to make them and use them well before the Defiant.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

My Q-Face posted:

There was the time Scotty beamed all the tribbles onto the Klingon ship, that's sort of biological warfare.

Also, Kirk stole not one but two cloaking devices, the federation surely knew how to make them and use them well before the Defiant.

Hell, the Federation cloaking device kicked the Romulan and Klingon device's arse. Phase cloak. Toothing problems excepted.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Speaking of guys who probably have heads in the freezer:

http://youtu.be/9Z9VSOq0nqU

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Speaking of guys who probably have heads in the freezer:

http://youtu.be/9Z9VSOq0nqU

Man, Hank Hill was really dead on the inside before he discovered Propane.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

My Q-Face posted:

Canada knows how to make nuclear bombs. We mine uranium and have nuclear reactors, so getting the fissable material is no problem. We have scads of mostly uninhabited arctic territory where we could run tests. We could totally make nuclear bombs, but we don't, because we agreed not to.

The federation totally could make cloaking devices. Certainly by the time TNG rolls around. But they don't, because they agreed not to. They totally could have built the Defiant without the help of the Romulans, but they'd rather cooperate than break the treaty unilaterally.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

It would have been cool if they broke out the phase shifting cloaking device for the Defiant during the Dominion War, even if it meant they had to share that technology with the Romulans as a result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

EvilTaytoMan posted:

It would have been cool if they broke out the phase shifting cloaking device for the Defiant during the Dominion War, even if it meant they had to share that technology with the Romulans as a result.

It's one of those technologies that has ridiculous implications if you weaponised it. Cloaking's the least of it. Phase missiles! Phase spy drones sitting in the enemy HQ!

Of course, it might just be that scanning for Chronitons and shooting a good Anyon beam is all you need to defeat it.

• Locked thread