Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...
He's also usually depicted as somewhere between 6'4"-6'6" and built like Adonis.

Sorry Lex, he still has the power of 4"s of reach and arms the size of your legs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
"I know what's a good idea, I'll pick a fist fight with a guy who's got years of experience punching people and who hangs out with some of the best martial artists in the world" - Lex Luthor, supergenius

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

PantsOptional posted:

"I know what's a good idea, I'll pick a fist fight with a guy who's got years of experience punching people and who hangs out with some of the best martial artists in the world" - Lex Luthor, supergenius
The fistfights never work for Lex; he gets physically and verbally beaten.

All-Star Superman #12

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

PantsOptional posted:

Lex is always blinded by arrogance. He refuses to believe Superman is smarter than him or a better person in general, and assumes the only reason Superman wins, ever, is his powers.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

He's "Superman is boring" haters personified, basically.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Fallen Rib
Did Ali ever comment about the Superman vs Ali book? Was he a fan?

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
I've always been a Marvel guy for some reason, I just missed the boat on DC and so have never really been able to get into any of the characters even Superman. Is it just me or is all the artwork in these latest superman panels posted extra lovely? It looks like a high school art project, not a professional comic that people pay money for.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
It's just you.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

TollTheHounds posted:

I've always been a Marvel guy for some reason, I just missed the boat on DC and so have never really been able to get into any of the characters even Superman. Is it just me or is all the artwork in these latest superman panels posted extra lovely? It looks like a high school art project, not a professional comic that people pay money for.

A bunch of people are gonna post about how Frank Quitely is the best artist and you're crazy, but to sum it up I'd say it's definitely an acquired taste, but not a bad one.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Chinaman7000 posted:

A bunch of people are gonna post about how Frank Quitely is the best artist and you're crazy, but to sum it up I'd say it's definitely an acquired taste, but not a bad one.

I know art is subjective, and there's lots of different styles. I love the most recent Hawkeye series, particularly David Aja & Annie Wu, and you could argue they are a bit lo-fi and less "professional" than anything else. I just look at these superman panels and the movement seems so jerky, like that last panel, the top pane where he's punching Luthor looks like when you have 2 action figures and you're making them punch each-other, rather than something actually choreographed/taking motion into mind.

Anyway, didn't mean to derail really it just takes away from the panel being bad-rear end to me when all I can wonder is why it looks so off.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

TollTheHounds posted:

I just look at these superman panels and the movement seems so jerky, like that last panel, the top pane where he's punching Luthor looks like when you have 2 action figures and you're making them punch each-other, rather than something actually choreographed/taking motion into mind.
If you're talking about the panels Two-Pair posted from Action 840, yeah, those aren't too hot. I don't even know who drew that one.

The Quitely stuff from All-Star is top-drawer, though.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

redbackground posted:

If you're talking about the panels Two-Pair posted from Action 840, yeah, those aren't too hot. I don't even know who drew that one.

The Quitely stuff from All-Star is top-drawer, though.

Its Pete Woods.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

Its Pete Woods.
Aww nuts, I normally like him. Maybe it's the murky coloring, I dunno.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
It could be worse, it could be Steve Dillon

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

TollTheHounds posted:

I was collecting comics from both brands when I was a kid in the 1970s and 1980s and although there was definitely a different feel between them there was still plenty of talent on both sides. I think DC struggled with emerging from the 1960s, and their overly wordy and sensationalistic covers was a tedious symptom. By the time I stopped buying comics in the mid 1980s Marvel was starting to dive into the edgy side, riding the Frank Miller train all the way to the station... and beyond, Montparnasse style.

Mike Grell says "Swords, guns and dinosaurs? WHY NOT?"

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Evil Mastermind posted:

All-Star Superman #12

I love how defeated Lex breaks the panel on the bottom.

Superman is dumb though and Superman punching people to solve problems is the most dumb, especially while talking about how brains beat brawns. Unless you've got BR AI N S on your knuckles there boyscout you just laid out a dude with your brawn.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Sigma-X posted:

Superman is dumb though and Superman punching people to solve problems is the most dumb, especially while talking about how brains beat brawns. Unless you've got BR AI N S on your knuckles there boyscout you just laid out a dude with your brawn.

You should actually read the book, this is out of context

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I do like the call back to silver age dickery in those panels..

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Sigma-X posted:

Seriously dude you could not be more wrong.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Sigma-X posted:

Lex stole Superman's powers, leaving Supes powerless.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

I do like the call back to silver age dickery in those panels..

The book has loads of callbacks to Silver Age dickery, including an entire issue where some new form of Kryptonite makes Superman a rampaging dickhead.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Senor Candle posted:

Seriously dude you could not be more wrong.

Man, either he's read the last few pages here and is just trolling, or he has the exact type of shallow understanding of Superman the last few pages have talked about. Either way, not worth engaging.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

When I was a kid, I read a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure book about Superman. One of the stories had him fight Luthor and Superman got depowered so Luthor could fight him man to man. If you accept the fight, Luthor would beat Superman to death with his bare hands.

So I'm glad people are posting the powerless Superman vs. Luthor pages here because young me thought that book was bullshit.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

mind the walrus posted:

The book has loads of callbacks to Silver Age dickery, including an entire issue where some new form of Kryptonite makes Superman a rampaging dickhead.

oh hey the plot to supes III.
My favorite bit is where he goes and puts out the olympic torch as it's brought into the stadium.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gavok posted:

When I was a kid, I read a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure book about Superman. One of the stories had him fight Luthor and Superman got depowered so Luthor could fight him man to man. If you accept the fight, Luthor would beat Superman to death with his bare hands.

So I'm glad people are posting the powerless Superman vs. Luthor pages here because young me thought that book was bullshit.

Every CYOA book is bullshit.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Lurdiak posted:

Aw, come on, the Grail Quest ones were great, you got a junior version of Excalibur and could pal around with a ghoul who would help you out/tear out your throat if you dissed his poetry.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Sentinel Red posted:

Aw, come on, the Grail Quest ones were great, you got a junior version of Excalibur and could pal around with a ghoul who would help you out/tear out your throat if you dissed his poetry.

I'm not saying they weren't fun, but they all had really bs ways to kill you arbitrarily. It was like the precursor to Sierra adventure games.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Lurdiak posted:

That's why you are allowed to flip back as long as you kept a finger on the page. I am pretty sure that is how everyone read those books?

That Ignorant Sap
Nov 20, 2010

YOU AIN'T LOOKIN' AT A
BUNCH OF RHINOS, HERE.

Evil Mastermind posted:

All-Star Superman #12

Jesus Christ... Lex is a superman in his own right. That, or he's smuggling a mortar shell in his pants.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
"I could have saved the world!"

"Dude you're wearing a green trenchcoat and purple pants"

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Superman minus powers is still a hulking farm boy.
Never get into a fistfight with someone who has shoulders as big as their head.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

redbackground posted:

Aww nuts, I normally like him. Maybe it's the murky coloring, I dunno.

Probably! I've just had those pictures on my computer forever. I never thought to update them with prettier versions after I actually bought the issues off Comixology. Dare to compare.

Still a little murky, definitely lighter though.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

TwoPair posted:

Probably! I've just had those pictures on my computer forever. I never thought to update them with prettier versions after I actually bought the issues off Comixology. Dare to compare.

Still a little murky, definitely lighter though.

I've always liked this art, but I do have to admit it looks pretty static compared to the All-Star stuff posted above.

e: Also, the last several pages of this thread are my favourite pages ever.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Lurdiak posted:

I'm not saying they weren't fun, but they all had really bs ways to kill you arbitrarily. It was like the precursor to Sierra adventure games.

I read a Justice League one when I was a kid. On the Flash path there's a point where the bad guys shoot at you with a weird gun. One option is to vibrate your molecules to go through the projectile, a very Flash thing to do. SURPRISE! the gun's effect is to make you permanently in that stasis, so that you'll never be able to touch another thing again, and are helpless to stop the baddies!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Why is it that every single choose your own adventure has to have you die in some of the answers? You could write them so that different asnwers lead to different stories, or that you had multiple things you were trying to accomplish and most of the endings only let you succeed at part of your goals. Hell, if you thought it was important for children to understand the importance f decision making and consequences you could write it so that it was impossible to succeed at everything in any path you took, but still write a book for 8 year olds where they aren't going to experience a gruesome death.

I'm not saying they should all be like that, or even that many, but was there a single one where you couldn't end the story dead or stuck in ghost form or turned into an immortal statue watching all your loved ones grow old and die, unable to communicate with them?

I remember one where I was an astronaut and got sucked into a blackhole and in their version of how blackholes gently caress with time, I was stuck in the moment just before death being simultaneously torn apart and crushed into a singularity forever and instantaneously at once.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Skwirl posted:

Why is it that every single choose your own adventure has to have you die in some of the answers? You could write them so that different asnwers lead to different stories, or that you had multiple things you were trying to accomplish and most of the endings only let you succeed at part of your goals. Hell, if you thought it was important for children to understand the importance f decision making and consequences you could write it so that it was impossible to succeed at everything in any path you took, but still write a book for 8 year olds where they aren't going to experience a gruesome death.

I'm not saying they should all be like that, or even that many, but was there a single one where you couldn't end the story dead or stuck in ghost form or turned into an immortal statue watching all your loved ones grow old and die, unable to communicate with them?

I remember one where I was an astronaut and got sucked into a blackhole and in their version of how blackholes gently caress with time, I was stuck in the moment just before death being simultaneously torn apart and crushed into a singularity forever and instantaneously at once.

Try to write one. Enough branching plotlines and you'll start killing people off left and right just to save pages. It takes a lot of time and talent to weave a CYOA that allows meaningful choices without writing the equivalent of four or five stories, and my guess is that the publisher wasn't going to give a lot of the former or pay enough to attract the latter.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
There were the adventure books that were basically single player Dungeons & Dragons, like Lone Wolf.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

WickedHate posted:

There were the adventure books that were basically single player Dungeons & Dragons, like Lone Wolf.

You die a lot in Lone Wolf. gently caress, you can die in that from pure random chance.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
No doubt, but they were more complex than most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
The gruesome deaths are half the fun of the CYOA's. I still remember the horrifying way this one Goosebumps booked described turning into a zombie.

Also good CYOA endings:

(1)"Do you enter the mysterious house" TURN TO PAGE 8
or
(2)"Call your mom and have her pick you up at the gas station you saw a mile or so back" TURN TO PAGE 42

Page 42 was, you went home and had dinner and never had an awesome adventure