Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

dis astranagant posted:

You're probably doing it too early. The curved sword parry is already in recovery by the time the bare handed parry is active. Quarter second start up then a bit over 3/8 of a second active.

So it's actually a little quicker than the bare handed, and I should be trying to parry a little earlier?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

McKilligan posted:

So it's actually a little quicker than the bare handed, and I should be trying to parry a little earlier?

It's quicker, which means you should press the button later, closer to when the attack hits you.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Gologle posted:

I have always, and will probably always, pronouce zweihander as "zway-hander" because pronouncing it the German way, to me personally, sounds incredibly effeminate and like something a flamboyant gay Nazi would say. But that's all just me, and I'm sure that people who have always known the proper pronunciation of zweihander can manage to say it without sounding silly.
????????

I don't understand why you'd ever describe something like this

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Yo, anyone familiar with Sotfs mind giving me pointers on where I should head for a mage character? I'm not at all used to new item placements and poo poo.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Genocyber posted:

Yo, anyone familiar with Sotfs mind giving me pointers on where I should head for a mage character? I'm not at all used to new item placements and poo poo.

The NPCs who'll sell you soul arrows/dark orbs are in the same places. The only significant change I can think of is that the staff of wisdom (aka the best sorcery staff) was moved to Tseldora. You still need 50 int to use it tough.

Oh, and there's a guaranteed black witch staff in Aldia now, so you don't need to farm it in the crypt.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Genocyber posted:

They put the staff of wisdom after the scorpion lady boss if that helps.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Holy poo poo Sinh is a loving rear end in a top hat. He almost broke the Fume UGS!

edit: I take it break. Sinh is a swell guy. The triplets in the Cave of the Dead are bigger assholes.

Node fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Aug 27, 2015

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Gologle posted:

I have always, and will probably always, pronouce zweihander as "zway-hander" because pronouncing it the German way, to me personally, sounds incredibly effeminate and like something a flamboyant gay Nazi would say. But that's all just me, and I'm sure that people who have always known the proper pronunciation of zweihander can manage to say it without sounding silly.

I have a new found appreciation for the proper pronunciation of the word "zweihander"

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The correct pronunciation of zweihander sounds fine to me. Saying it like 'sway' is just weird.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Gologle posted:

Thank you for sharing. I hate to break it to you, but as a flamboyant gay nazi, we pronounce it like you do, while regular germsn pronounce it the way you wish to avoid.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Node posted:

Holy poo poo Sinh is a loving rear end in a top hat. He almost broke the Fume UGS!

edit: I take it break. Sinh is a swell guy. The triplets in the Cave of the Dead are bigger assholes.

Dragons are generally swell folks, being basically sentient rocks. Humans are the ones who really screw things over in the Dark Souls universe. Miyazaki's got a moral here, but damned if I know what it is.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Gologle posted:

Dragons are generally swell folks, being basically sentient rocks. Humans are the ones who really screw things over in the Dark Souls universe. Miyazaki's got a moral here, but damned if I know what it is.

I know you're joking but more often than not the PC is making things actively worse, especially in Dark Souls 1.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

The "humans are bastards" motif is very apparent in Dark Souls 2, but in the first game, Gwyn and co. are really to blame everything. The whole reason the Chosen Undead is on a mission in the first place is because the gods just can't stop screwing up.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Samuel Clemens posted:

The "humans are bastards" motif is very apparent in Dark Souls 2, but in the first game, Gwyn and co. are really to blame everything. The whole reason the Chosen Undead is on a mission in the first place is because the gods just can't stop screwing up.

Eh, it's not just the gods. You also got the dipshits in Oolacile and then New Londo who both fall for Kathe's poo poo.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Genocyber posted:

Eh, it's not just the gods. You also got the dipshits in Oolacile and then New Londo who both fall for Kathe's poo poo.

It seemed like a good idea at the time, probably!

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Sperm serpents are just so gosh darn persuasive.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

He ate my dung pies and even gave me souls for it.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Do you think it could work, I'm not saying Dark Souls, but a new IP maybe, that had the same sort of crushing gameplay, but the entire world wasn't so drab? Am I the only one who would like a game like that? Now I'm not so versed in the lore as a lot of you, I'm not really at all, and I've beaten all 3 games. I loving love this series but I think it would be cool to feel like you were fighting for something. Go to the depths of hell, but when you go back to town, its actually a town, with interesting characters and storylines. What I'm getting at here goes against what the series has been about but god drat it the rest of the industry is nothing but plagiarism anyway, I'm surprised the style hasn't been copied and transplanted into a different type of setting.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

codo27 posted:

Do you think it could work, I'm not saying Dark Souls, but a new IP maybe, that had the same sort of crushing gameplay, but the entire world wasn't so drab? Am I the only one who would like a game like that? Now I'm not so versed in the lore as a lot of you, I'm not really at all, and I've beaten all 3 games. I loving love this series but I think it would be cool to feel like you were fighting for something. Go to the depths of hell, but when you go back to town, its actually a town, with interesting characters and storylines. What I'm getting at here goes against what the series has been about but god drat it the rest of the industry is nothing but plagiarism anyway, I'm surprised the style hasn't been copied and transplanted into a different type of setting.

Big towns aren't FROM Software's style. This goes back to the original King's Field and Shadow Tower. You have NPCs in completely random places, you're very alone, and the story philosophy is "show, don't tell." This excludes the Armored Core series obviously. Majula is the biggest gathering of people they've ever created, I believe. The Nexus in Demon's Souls might have more, but Majula feels like an actual village. I haven't played Bloodborne so I don't know if there is something bigger.

I get what you mean though, you want to see a game where you are fighting for a non transparent good cause. I bet if FROM made something like that it'd be amazing, but I think they are pretty settled in their isolated, ambiguous universes. They're good at it.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

codo27 posted:

You're basically describing Lords of the Fallen.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Genocyber posted:

You're basically describing Lords of the Fallen.

Which was bad.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Node posted:

Big towns aren't FROM Software's style. This goes back to the original King's Field and Shadow Tower. You have NPCs in completely random places, you're very alone, and the story philosophy is "show, don't tell." This excludes the Armored Core series obviously. Majula is the biggest gathering of people they've ever created, I believe. The Nexus in Demon's Souls might have more, but Majula feels like an actual village. I haven't played Bloodborne so I don't know if there is something bigger.

I get what you mean though, you want to see a game where you are fighting for a non transparent good cause. I bet if FROM made something like that it'd be amazing, but I think they are pretty settled in their isolated, ambiguous universes. They're good at it.

Bloodborne has the traditional NPC hub, but it's the smallest in the series. Majula is still the most happening place in the series, although the Nexus was a lot cooler.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Who ever designed the map layout of Sunken King should die in a fire. That the 2nd bonfire is hidden after most the entire level, making it a grind from the first one in the dlc everytime you fail to light the 2nd is hosed up.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

winterwerefox posted:

Who ever designed the map layout of Sunken King should die in a fire. That the 2nd bonfire is hidden after most the entire level, making it a grind from the first one in the dlc everytime you fail to light the 2nd is hosed up.

I wouldn't call the second bonfire hidden, considering the switches to raise the platforms to get to it are pretty obviously placed. They also give you a shortcut before that so if you die before you reach it you can get to it much quicker.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

winterwerefox posted:

it's actually one of the best in the series, hth

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The second bonfire is also not at all after most of the level, unless you mean specifically pre-dragon-sanctum. It's only maybe 20-30% of the way through the DLC.

I have complaints with the enemies and resistances of sunken king, but for level design it's some of the most interesting stuff in the series.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I finally finished Scholar of the First Sin, yay.

I like the new enemy placements, except for Iron Keep. The DLCs are overall pretty good, but not as amazing as Dark Souls 1's DLC. Only thing I found disappointing was Blue Smelter Demon and the third boss in Ivory King, if you're going to get lazy like that just don't add them in at all in my opinion. Aldia was an okay boss, but just like with Nashandra it lacks the atmosphere of the final fight with Gwyn in Dark Souls 1.

Everything else was good to great.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Ekster posted:

I finally finished Scholar of the First Sin, yay.

I like the new enemy placements, except for Iron Keep. The DLCs are overall pretty good, but not as amazing as Dark Souls 1's DLC. Only thing I found disappointing was Blue Smelter Demon and the third boss in Ivory King, if you're going to get lazy like that just don't add them in at all in my opinion. Aldia was an okay boss, but just like with Nashandra it lacks the atmosphere of the final fight with Gwyn in Dark Souls 1.

Everything else was good to great.

This has probably been discussed to death in this thread, but my two biggest gripes with Dark Souls 2 are its relatively linear design, as opposed to Dark Souls 1 interconnected spiderweb of a world, and Soul Memory is a retarded mechanic.

Dragon Aerie/Shrine is probably the coolest looking place in the game, its my favorite area out of the two games besides Anor Londo. Even though the architecture was almost a copy paste of real life cathedrals and buildings, its still loving amazing to look at an immaculate and endless city of Gods and Giants. That is, unless you kill amazing chest ahead.

Node fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Aug 28, 2015

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.

winterwerefox posted:

Eh, I hated it for the statue bugs but the level itself wasn't so bad. Once you familiarize yourself with the area it should be obvious you can skip about really quickly with a little platforming.

Edit: ^^ Dragon Shrine wins just for the SotFS dragon knight royal rumble alone.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

I worded that badly. Its the phantom, need to find their bodies or you cant kill em knights thats frustrating the hell out of me rather than the puzzle or design itself. Plus ive had to run through the first section so often things are hitting the 'killed 12 times' limit.

Edit: Im not a very good player, I just have tons of time on my side.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

winterwerefox posted:

I worded that badly. Its the phantom, need to find their bodies or you cant kill em knights thats frustrating the hell out of me rather than the puzzle or design itself. Plus ive had to run through the first section so often things are hitting the 'killed 12 times' limit.

Edit: Im not a very good player, I just have tons of time on my side.

I think you missed a bonfire. The one after all the invincible knights is the 3rd one.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

That... would explain why it seemed so very long to get to the next fire.

Edit: looked up a video of where the 2nd one is. Goddamn it.

winterwerefox fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Aug 28, 2015

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

The Sunken King DLC is the only part of Dark Souls 2 where bonfires are kind of tricky to find. I don't think I would have ever discovered the one in Dragon's Rest without soapstone messages.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm alright with the Sunken King's level design for the most part, except that it is basically the prime example of how Dark Souls 2 loving loves instant death pits. Like god drat, that place is like 75% instant death pit, 25% sort-of-kind-of solid ground.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CJacobs posted:

I'm alright with the Sunken King's level design for the most part, except that it is basically the prime example of how Dark Souls 2 loving loves instant death pits. Like god drat, that place is like 75% instant death pit, 25% sort-of-kind-of solid ground.

It also does a good job reminding you that the Great Monarch's knees are pretty much glass.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

It also does a good job reminding you that the Great Monarch's knees are pretty much glass.

You can fall like 50 feet in any other game and survive with health to spare, but a 8 foot drop is instant death in DS2.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Tran posted:

Eh, I hated it for the statue bugs but the level itself wasn't so bad. Once you familiarize yourself with the area it should be obvious you can skip about really quickly with a little platforming.

Edit: ^^ Dragon Shrine wins just for the SotFS dragon knight royal rumble alone.

Dragon Shrine at the same time also pisses me off. There is this monolithic structure at the top of the stairs, and you never go inside. You just go and hear one line from the ancient dragon, and this structure could have just as much area to explore as the Shrine and Aerie combined.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

winterwerefox posted:

I actually really enjoyed the layout of Sunken King, as well as the other DLC zones, as they harkened back to all the crazy shortcuts in DS1 that made the gauntlet feel more manageable.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Alabaster White posted:

You can fall like 50 feet in any other game and survive with health to spare, but a 8 foot drop is instant death in DS2.

You can survive very long falls (even ones that would kill you in Dark Souls, like most of the ones in the Pit, I feel) if you got a good form of fall damage reduction. Otherwise it is very high (to give fall damage reduction gear a point).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
The alternative is Demon's Souls, where you can fall ridiculous heights easily. However, this means you have to fall down pits that are literally too deep to see where you will land at points, so I'll gladly take DS2's system.