Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Reason posted:

Anyone have anything good to say about galacticraft? I played through babys first space race and it was fun to work up to a rocket and flying to the moon and then the minecraft moon was just a super boring nothing almost and I was a little disappointed. Am I missing something?

I have some bad news for you. The moon... is pretty much that boring. There are holes in the ground where you can jump in and kill a giant skeleton boss. This gives you plans to build better rockets or a moon buggy; who knows until you kill the boss.

As I understood it, Galacticraft's author's GLORIOUS VISION has become more preoccupied with creating all these landscapes than the technology. You'd think then that maybe it would be more interesting. But I guess in an adderall-induced fit, you just get more vacuous planets and moons.

The main reason that the rocket is the focus of the pack is it provides some concrete goal to achieve beyond "making machines to make machines for making machines that make machines . . ."

. . . not that there is anything wrong with that.

That's another reason I couldn't figure out a magic-themed tutorial pack. What's the end goal? Baby's First Eldritch Abomination? Actually . . . :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
Quick blightfall specific tip! There's a good node for cV under the swamp delta island closest to the warp island, at 659, 982, 43. You can see it from the shore with a pair of goggles

It's a ~45 messis node, and gives 5 cV. I don't know how good that is in the long run, but it's a million times better than boating around, that's for sure.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
Is there a blightfall-specific list of poo poo to scan? I can't do pretty much any research because a shitload of stuff is all question marks so i can't connect research nodes, and i can't scan most of the essentia bottles i got from under the waterfall because i don't know the mystery of animals or whatever the loving bullshit text that scrolls by said.

god this is just the most tedious loving mod i've ever encountered

like how do i skip all the ~my vision~ filler because seriously at this point i am literally just taking my chances and scouting rather than deal with it anymore. why can't it be actually good, like botania. speaking of, how do i make floral fertilizer? there's no recipe in NEI for it.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Edminster posted:

Is there a blightfall-specific list of poo poo to scan?

I sort of followed this guide, though I had to substitute some things based on what was available, like doing alternate part for the potion, making spiritus myself instead of scanning soul sand (you don't really need to scan vinculum right away), and using raw meat instead of zombie flesh and making humanus myself in the research table. Here's a nice list of aspect sources that I like to use, so you can find alternative things to scan for each aspect on there.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

I've also posted some screenshots from early game TC stuff in the vanilla minecraft thread cus someone asked about it there.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Also, all the Waypoint Areas with the teleporters have at least one node close to them, like about 20 - 30 blocks away max or something (afaik). You just gotta wear the Goggles of Revealing, otherwise yeah it might seem like a bitch to do.

heard u like girls fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 27, 2015

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Edminster posted:

Is there a blightfall-specific list of poo poo to scan? I can't do pretty much any research because a shitload of stuff is all question marks so i can't connect research nodes, and i can't scan most of the essentia bottles i got from under the waterfall because i don't know the mystery of animals or whatever the loving bullshit text that scrolls by said.

god this is just the most tedious loving mod i've ever encountered

like how do i skip all the ~my vision~ filler because seriously at this point i am literally just taking my chances and scouting rather than deal with it anymore. why can't it be actually good, like botania. speaking of, how do i make floral fertilizer? there's no recipe in NEI for it.

There's a recipe for it in the lexica botanica. Since you have to translate that, it's a spoiler to post it: it's actually the same recipe as normal- it's just unusual because floral fertilizer will only produce the flower colors that were used to make it in Blightfall

As far as research it sounds like you're not really having any fun so I'd really suggest going to the top deck of the jaded, heading down the hall toward the observation deck, and breaking through the door on the right. You'll need someone with op to give you nether tungsten ore. If you're in SSP, open to lan with cheats enabled so you can give yourself one.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

senae posted:

Quick blightfall specific tip! There's a good node for cV under the swamp delta island closest to the warp island, at 659, 982, 43. You can see it from the shore with a pair of goggles

It's a ~45 messis node, and gives 5 cV. I don't know how good that is in the long run, but it's a million times better than boating around, that's for sure.

There's another one up on the frozen bay between the tundra and taiga that has about 35ish which also resolves to 5, although if the jarring process fucks it up it might drop to 4.

I think 1 CV = .01 recharge per tick, and 20 ticks = 1 second, so that means 5 gives you about 1 of every element a second?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I looted my node from the eerie island.

I think the wand recharge table maxes out at 5 CV, so any more is just useful for running the infernal furnace too at the same time I guess idk.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Yeah, I found a huge rear end terra node and dragged it home, thinking it would speedily recharge my wand with its 9 CV, but I never see it recharge any faster than 0.05/tick.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
There goes my plan of finding all the varieties of single primal nodes with 90+ and making a vis relay network focused on a thaumcraft table. :sigh:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Sage Grimm posted:

There goes my plan of finding all the varieties of single primal nodes with 90+ and making a vis relay network focused on a thaumcraft table. :sigh:

Can you even combine beams? I've only been able to split beams, never combine them. Admittedly I've never tried since there's really not many things you need CV laser beams for, but if you could that would make setting up potentially a lot easier in some situations. Finding a combined-aspect node can be a real pain sometimes.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
You can't combine beams. Destinations can only accept CV from one source at a time.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

If you make the vis storage amulet that holds 250 vis, it also has the passive benefit of drawing directly from your energized nodes if they or a relay are in range.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

President Ark posted:

There's another one up on the frozen bay between the tundra and taiga that has about 35ish which also resolves to 5, although if the jarring process fucks it up it might drop to 4.

I think 1 CV = .01 recharge per tick, and 20 ticks = 1 second, so that means 5 gives you about 1 of every element a second?

actually there's another 50 messis node on land just across the water in the same area.

Is there any way to effectively combine the 2 nodes, or is that a thing anymore?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

McFrugal posted:

You can't combine beams. Destinations can only accept CV from one source at a time.

That's what I thought, shame.

Good thing Shukaro's Nodal Mechanics is a semi-common mod in goon packs. Getting an all-stats node is as easy as burning a few stacks of redstone.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Blightfall question. I've gotten far enough through the Geologist's tree to unlock the Ore Caches, but they don't seem to exist. I go to the place indicated by the quest, dig down, and find a cave that doesn't seem to have any more tech metal than any other cave. Which is to say I haven't found any so far. I know I'm in the right place because the quests are marked as complete. Am I not digging far enough?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Ariong posted:

Blightfall question. I've gotten far enough through the Geologist's tree to unlock the Ore Caches, but they don't seem to exist. I go to the place indicated by the quest, dig down, and find a cave that doesn't seem to have any more tech metal than any other cave. Which is to say I haven't found any so far. I know I'm in the right place because the quests are marked as complete. Am I not digging far enough?

The spots in question have higher-than-blightfall-average ore spawns, but they're not going to be tunnels of solid copper or anything crazy.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Yeah, I figured, but I assumed that after so much digging I would have at least found one copper or tin ore. I guess I'll just look harder. Thanks.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
So uh... (question re: glacier spoiler)what's the loot list for the scary rear end dude with the staff that spits blue orbs? i took out the other two fine but i panicked and lava'd him so all the loot went sizzle.

30.5 Days posted:

As far as research it sounds like you're not really having any fun so I'd really suggest going to the top deck of the jaded, heading down the hall toward the observation deck, and breaking through the door on the right. You'll need someone with op to give you nether tungsten ore. If you're in SSP, open to lan with cheats enabled so you can give yourself one.

Alright cool, I'll check that when I get back from the Glacier. Honestly I'm grumpy that it's so goddamned obtuse; if the Thaumonomicon was laid out like the Botania guide or at least told you what everything is gated behind I think I'd be doing just fine.

Izam
Jun 6, 2005
Quick Blightfall question. I'm ready to start making dawn totems/silverwood sapplings but I have no idea about getting auram reliably. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
People seem interested in node bullying, as the internet calls it, so here's the low down:

Node bullying occurs between any nodes that are within 5 squares of each other (ie 4 air blocks between them)

The bigger node will eat smaller nodes within range, size is determined by the sum of all aspects of a node.

Bullying speed scales inversely with distance

When a node rips a point off another node, the chance of the bully gaining a point is equal to 1/X, where X is the bully's current value of that aspect (for this reason, going past like fifty in an aspect takes a REALLY long time)

What determines whether the smaller node will actually lose a point off its max value or not is unclear. My own testing has shown that it's not guaranteed to lose a point regardless of whether the bully gains a point or not.

Finally, wrt centivis, bright nodes give 20% more and pale nodes give 20% less.

With all that in mind, if you want an ultra node (12 omni), your best bet is to bottle bright nodes until one stays bright when you bottle it, then bottle another 8 nodes of all kinds. Dig a 9x9x9 room, put the future omni node in the center, and feed it smaller nodes from the corners until it's bigger than all the other nodes. If your bright is really small, drain some nodes down to size before bottling them so they're small enough meals for your bright node.

Keep in mind that a bright with 50 in everything will spit out 8 or 9 cv, and will take a quarter as long to make as a node with 100+ in everything. A 50 will take like a day to make, a 100 will take several. Imo it's not worth doing for practical reasons, but can be fun to do just to have the biggest, baddest node there is.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Izam posted:

Quick Blightfall question. I'm ready to start making dawn totems/silverwood sapplings but I have no idea about getting auram reliably. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Euclidaisy from the Apocrypha tab will spit out random wispy essences, heavily weighed toward Auram. Make a Euclidaisy or two, feed them a full mana pool, and you'll have a stack or two of Auram phials by the time you're done breaking down all the wispy essences. You'll want lots of the stuff if you want to run a fully armed and operational Dawn Machine, or if you want to use the AE2 stuff that stores essentia

Magres fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Aug 28, 2015

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Yeah, I don't think it was node bullying or anything that destroyed the node I mentioned earlier. I'll post a screenshot when I get home but it looks like the node in the tree had actually exploded and destroyed most of the trunk or something. It was also like 15 blocks away from the transducer while it was running, and that was inside my house which was completely untouched.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Where do you get Perfodio essentia if you can't craft picks?

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

yay productivity

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Ariong posted:

Where do you get Perfodio essentia if you can't craft picks?

You can craft picks of almost all materials besides vanilla ones.

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

Well i got banned from the playtppi IRC channel for suggesting to the modpack maker that yelling at people and calling them stupid because they couldn't find an NEI recipe for titanium maybe is the wrong way to go about it. Good to see modding is still a shitfest. This was after the poor guy mentioned that all he was finding was the fun titanium dust smelts to titanium, titanium dust comes from titanium ingots thing NEI likes to do.

TyrsHTML fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Aug 28, 2015

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Taffer posted:

You can craft picks of almost all materials besides vanilla ones.

Oh right duh.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Magres posted:

Euclidaisy from the Apocrypha tab will spit out random wispy essences, heavily weighed toward Auram. Make a Euclidaisy or two, feed them a full mana pool, and you'll have a stack or two of Auram phials by the time you're done breaking down all the wispy essences. You'll want lots of the stuff if you want to run a fully armed and operational Dawn Machine, or if you want to use the AE2 stuff that stores essentia

I would say this is the bad way to go about this. The right way is to grab some wisp spawners and put a grinder or some guard golems in a dark room with it.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

SugarAddict posted:

I would say this is the bad way to go about this. The right way is to grab some wisp spawners and put a grinder or some guard golems in a dark room with it.

I've never seen a wisp spawner :shrug:

I think the Euclidaisy wins on production rate of Auram but loses on overall resource efficiency. They spit out essences really fast, but using mana is definitely a big downside

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Magres posted:

I've seen wisps spawn, I dunno if it was from a spawner though. But it'd be trivial to nab one in a safari net and autospawn them.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

There's a wisp spawner like 200m south/southeast of the waterfall lake waypoint under an obsidian altar.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Magres posted:

Near waterfall lake and mountain summit.

I think there's three more on the obelisk island.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

30.5 Days posted:

The basics:

- You make a thaumonomicon by right clicking a bookshelf with a wand.
- You make a thaumometer using the recipe in the quest book.
- There's information in there about how to make arcane workbenches, scribing tools, and then a research table.

What you want to do...

Magres posted:

You don't want to rush the taint-busting stuff, thaumcraft becomes drastically easier and more useful if you do some infrastructure work first. I'll right a thaumcraft crash course that I'll edit into this post...

This is awesome. Thank you and everyone else who put together the basic info I needed!

Eschers Basement fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Aug 28, 2015

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Wait do sinister nodes with obsidian totems come with wisp spawners underneath? :aaa:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Magres posted:

Wait do sinister nodes with obsidian totems come with wisp spawners underneath? :aaa:

yep, every single one

diamond dollies are disabled on blightfall though so have fun burning a nether star to move that poo poo

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Magres posted:

Only the alters with a chest in the center. obsidian totems with a node in the totem do not have chests, and neither do obelisks.

Glory of Arioch posted:

diamond dollies are disabled on blightfall though so have fun burning a nether star to move that poo poo

Wand focus of dislocation or something can move spawners. Efreets flame -> uprising -> dislocation.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Aug 28, 2015

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Quote is not edit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Glory of Arioch posted:

yep, every single one

You can move it with a botania thing. You do need gaia spirits, but you can get those repeatedly once you have a beacon.