Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Thinking I may move to 1314; at the very least I could prevent any enemies from getting in the hex right behind the War Dog and punching him in the back or somesuch. I won't block LOS for shooting, but gently caress it, it's something.

War Dog is probably going to die this turn, pretty much every enemy weapon does more damage than its remaining leg structure. If it lives there are five mechs with effectively unlimited maneuverability who can kick it off.

In the end though all that matters is that Carlos, the acolyte and maybe one mech with a full battle ROM of what really happened get away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Scintilla posted:

So the Power Rangers do have XXL Engines.

I'm afraid things aren't looking good. With such huge jump and movement ranges the chances of a clean getaway are pretty much nil. My suggestion would be to try and focus fire on the White Ranger since it has a very thin center torso and breaching its armour might make it and the others rethink their strategy. Given what PTN's said so far my guess is that they're probably operating under forced withdrawal rules, so you'll at least remove the Heavy PPC from the fight.

Good point. A torso breach might force him to withdraw, or at least stay in cover.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Our absolutely best case shots are like, 10s at this point (Barring Carlos with his 2 gunnery), so whether or not we kill or even force a withdrawl for any enemy unit is just down to whether the dice decide to show pity or not. If he wanted PTN could just remain unhittable anyhow since he has ace advantage on everything but Carlos.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Focus fire. Wreck a dude.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

goatface posted:

This is probably the best option. Try to take out the White Ranger, assuming he doesn't zip out of LOS. He's still listed as Contemptuous, so punish his overconfidence.

Also, the Jinggau is being a cheeky bastard and advancing again. Maybe peg him as a secondary target to get rid of an enemy Gauss Rifle.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

AtomikKrab posted:

One disadvantage of XXL engines is even if its clan tech they are still going down on the loss of a torso, IS tech is 6 crits in each side torso for the engine, so if you penetrate you can shut them down real hard.

The biggest disadvantage of the Shadow Hawk Omni is its total lack of available internal space, so I can't spring something like a Heavy PPC w/ PPC Capacitor on anyone, etc.

They're pretty much 50% engine by volume (and 25% engine by weight).

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

So can I stand up and throw my gauss arm to someone to catch? Would be a shame to let a good gauss rifle go to waste.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Quick, roll for assault bear hugs!

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

I need some cool way to go out next turn. Thoughts?

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Careful stand, turn to face White Ranger, fire everything at him with contingency orders to shoot another unit if he's out of LOS? Plus a kick if you somehow manage to survive?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

goatface posted:

I dunno if Focus Firing is gonna work when Aces might be able to easily move out of LOS of a few friendly mechs at a time. As demonstrated in the ambush of the Clanners mission, Aces really let people shuffle their wounded around, and can make focus firing a really huge pain in the rear end when slightly hurt people just move back a bit out of the way, or just dodge out of LOS of one or two mechs at a time.

Plus focus firing might not work too well when the enemy mechs are so drat hard to hit.

I guess what I'm saying is that Focus Firing is the best option available but it's still lovely enough that simply ensuring the escape of as many VIPs and friendly mechs as possible instead of trying to kill one or two enemy mechs might be the better way to go about it.

Kial
Jul 23, 2006
PTN is probably playing by some kind of forced withdrawal rules, so focusing one at a time may see good results.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Kial posted:

PTN is probably playing by some kind of forced withdrawal rules, so focusing one at a time may see good results.

We have the potential to kill the white ranger off. By the way, anyone notice he took less damage from that Xpulse to the RT? 9 Damage instead of 14.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah, the ACE plus the huge maneuverability of those mechs plus you don't get to see where they moved before writing firing orders makes coordinating focus fire very difficult.

I recommend you guys decide a target priority order and every one of you uses the same order in your, uh, orders. Like, say it goes white-blue-red-black-green, then each of you write orders to the effect that you'll target white, unless he's impossible to hit in which case target blue, unless etc. etc.

Possibly you should just go ahead and pick a mech near a map edge and retreat him now. Even if Carlos dies, if at least one of you escapes, you can presumably provide a battle-ROM to the Comstar investigators if/when they arrive.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Viva Miriya posted:

We have the potential to kill the white ranger off. By the way, anyone notice he took less damage from that Xpulse to the RT? 9 Damage instead of 14.

Large x-pulse only does 9 damage, it's 14 heat though.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah, the ACE plus the huge maneuverability of those mechs plus you don't get to see where they moved before writing firing orders makes coordinating focus fire very difficult.

I recommend you guys decide a target priority order and every one of you uses the same order in your, uh, orders. Like, say it goes white-blue-red-black-green, then each of you write orders to the effect that you'll target white, unless he's impossible to hit in which case target blue, unless etc. etc.

Possibly you should just go ahead and pick a mech near a map edge and retreat him now. Even if Carlos dies, if at least one of you escapes, you can presumably provide a battle-ROM to the Comstar investigators if/when they arrive.

The enemy pretty much cannot stop the Nightstar from clearing the field.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh yeah and everyone should write a melee contingency into your orders, to the effect of "if an enemy mech ends its move adjacent, kick them, or if I can't kick them, punch them with any arm that hasn't fired this round."

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

The biggest disadvantage of the Shadow Hawk Omni is its total lack of available internal space, so I can't spring something like a Heavy PPC w/ PPC Capacitor on anyone, etc.

They're pretty much 50% engine by volume (and 25% engine by weight).

IS spec endosteel and XXL engines tend to do that.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Yea, the Nightstar is 2 turns from bugging out if it wants to, which it will be able to do barring bad left torso luck. It's got plenty of leg armor, so no worries about a mobility kill in 2 turns.
The car is 2 turns from bugging out through the canyon at the left, as well. Next turn it should be able to break LoS to everything on the field, hopefully without being noticed thanks to my ECM blanket. (Although it is juuuust in range of the Black Shadow Hawk's Bloodhound.. What's the range on that thing, 8 hexes?) I'm going to hope that the piles of 'Mech wreckage around there is giving it cover. I can follow the car easily as well, and have enough armor to make it (Again barring headshots and TACs).

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Don't forget that the black SH hasn't moved yet. If they notice the car, they can probably get into a position to shoot at it no matter where it goes, with 7/11/7 profiles.

e. now I look at the map again, if it can get around behind that building I don't think any of the enemy units can shoot at it this turn, with the possible exception of the drop ship.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Aug 27, 2015

Kial
Jul 23, 2006

Viva Miriya posted:

That would be nice. A kill would probably end the mission as I doubt Hawk squad would be allowed to stick around. Need some Gauss love.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

My vote is let them swarm me (war dog) and kill white ranger+whoever else sticks around. They may be 7/11s but we have carlos.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

18:26:31 <Gwaihir> Dont get taken alive
18:26:33 <Gwaihir> seriously
18:26:37 <Gwaihir> They really want a prisoner
18:26:58 <Gwaihir> I don't think any of us want to become a Capellan prisoner
18:30:50 <@FractionJackson> death commandos secret black sites for detainees
18:30:55 <@FractionJackson> co-operated by the st. louis cardinals

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Careful stand, open fire all weapons. Go out with a bang.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Hey PTN, it's gonna be hell for the players (and possibly you by extension) trying to figure out their shooting orders when the entire OPfor is 7/11/7 ACEs. The traditional turn orders worked because the players always moved last, and if there was one or two enemy ACEs it was a little troublesome but a little bit of contingency planning could make it work. Right now pretty much anyone on the OPfor could end their turn anywhere relative to any of the players and trying to send useful firing instructions is going to read like copyright lawyers playing battleship.

I know it's going to mean a bit more work for you, but could you consider doing the player orders in two parts? After you have the movement orders from the players, could you do the ACE movements and then post a picture of them so the players can know what they're shooting at? It should only be for a few turns and thinking about sending in blind firing instructions makes me glad I'm not playing in this round.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Aug 28, 2015

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

AtomikKrab posted:

One disadvantage of XXL engines is even if its clan tech they are still going down on the loss of a torso, IS tech is 6 crits in each side torso for the engine, so if you penetrate you can shut them down real hard.

The other disadvantage is doubled movement heat. They generate 2 points standing still, 4 points walking, 6 points running-and if they jump their full 7j move, 14 points before firing a single weapon. Staying close to Carlos and his effective gunnery 0 X-Pulses and hoping he can get some lucky crits will probably be a decent idea.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Voyager I posted:

Hey PTN, it's gonna be hell for the players (and possibly you by extension) trying to figure out their shooting orders when the entire OPfor is 7/11/7 ACEs.

I'm accounting for this, please trust me.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'm accounting for this, please trust me.

For what it's worth, I'm well out of my tactical depth and am basically just winging it in a vague 'I hope we don't all die' direction, but I trust that PTN isn't out to gently caress us. Could he? Oh, sure. But he's already gone well past his normal BV limits bringing in the OmniShadowHawks, I believe; I don't think for an instant he's out to gently caress us by going all-out. There's an element of "if you can't trust the guy running the game then there's no point in participating" at work.

Trust the Cardassian. He's almost definitely not a spy.

(Pursuant to BVchat, so you get where I'm coming from: Goonlance BV comes out to 9330, plus 2835 for Carlos' Grand Titan and - if we're being super-generous - 3930 for the ComGuard 'Mechs. So our highest theoretical BV is 16,095. OpFor grand total, counting the new Shadow Hawks, is 23,671. That means OpFor is 147% of GoonSquad's BV even if you add in the ComGuard 'Mechs that added little if anything to our efforts, and that percentage is, IIRC, a skosh higher than he usually breaks out)

(e: plus that's not counting the freakin' DropShip on the field, though that's been less of a 'shoot the players' threat and more of an existential one)

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

(e: plus that's not counting the freakin' DropShip on the field, though that's been less of a 'shoot the players' threat and more of an existential one)

The first thing I thought of when I saw that DropShip was "Oh heck I hope that isn't going to be an active combatant". I don't know about tabletop but in the video games, DropShips are things you cheese because otherwise they'll blow you right the gently caress up from extended range.

E: I assume story-wise the DropShip is reserving fire for war crimes because it's hard to get useful performance data on your experimental 'mechs if the air support blows giant holes in the enemy first.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Honestly, shooting the power rangers ride off this planet down while retreating may just be your better move.

How feasable is that? Do dropships use the hilariously crit-vulnerable vehicle tables?

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

TheParadigm posted:

Honestly, shooting the power rangers ride off this planet down while retreating may just be your better move.

How feasable is that? Do dropships use the hilariously crit-vulnerable vehicle tables?

That is the worst possible thing they could do, as it has far more armor and weapons than anything else on the field. It would destroy the entire lance on it's own.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

apostateCourier posted:

That is the worst possible thing they could do, as it has far more armor and weapons than anything else on the field. It would destroy the entire lance on it's own.

180 armor per facing ain't goin anywhere. Right now it's at long range from everything important and you really don't want an extra 3 ppcs, 6 lrm-20s, 6 AC-6s and 6 large lasers entering the fight at anything closer than plinking range. And that's making the rash assumption that fancy experimental lance doesn't have a fancy experimental ride.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Aug 28, 2015

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

TheParadigm posted:

Dropships use their own crit tables, which make them nearly uncrittable.

I believe that the only way the lance could crit the dropship is to get 12s to-hit, and even then many of the crits would be to things like avionics or cargo space, which don't matter for poo poo in a landed dropship.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Viva Miriya posted:

18:26:31 <Gwaihir> Dont get taken alive
18:26:33 <Gwaihir> seriously
18:26:37 <Gwaihir> They really want a prisoner
18:26:58 <Gwaihir> I don't think any of us want to become a Capellan prisoner
18:30:50 <@FractionJackson> death commandos secret black sites for detainees
18:30:55 <@FractionJackson> co-operated by the st. louis cardinals

Disable the auto eject. It's the only way to avoid Hotel Warcrimes.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

MJ12 posted:

Dropships use their own crit tables, which make them nearly uncrittable.

I believe that the only way the lance could crit the dropship is to get 12s to-hit, and even then many of the crits would be to things like avionics or cargo space, which don't matter for poo poo in a landed dropship.

The "gently caress You, I'm 3600 Tons" crit table.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Pretty much the only thing on the table that could have shot down that dropship in a reasonable timeframe was the HPG itself, and, well...

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Edit: I'm dumb

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

AJ_Impy posted:

Careful stand, open fire all weapons. Go out with a bang.

Orders in with the caveat of the pilot killing himself if he's facing capture.

Endomorphic
Jul 25, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

The "gently caress You, I'm 3600 Tons" crit table.
Give a number of fucks equal to the occurrences of the word "naval" in the name of the weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Viva Miriya posted:

Orders in with the caveat of the pilot killing himself if he's facing capture.

You're not fanatics, man.

Just disable the auto-eject, that alone will kill most pilots if the `Mech burns (and they usually do (there's a reason why most Mechwarriors are pyrophobes and why people who willingly pilot Firestarters are pretty reviled)).

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 28, 2015

• Locked thread