Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Pierson posted:

So wait going back a second, for levelling Botany/Miner I want 600gp? If all I have is the basic entry-level stuff (AF sets and the level 55 rings etc) is there a quick and preferably cheap way to boost myself up to 600gp?

What level are you? Honestly some light GP melding (not overmelding) should be able to get you there. You can also use GP-boosting food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

Magil Zeal posted:

What level are you? Honestly some light GP melding (not overmelding) should be able to get you there. You can also use GP-boosting food.
A set of HQ crafted gear (level 60 et al.) only needs 3 GP melded to hit 600.

Edit: 600 is still most definitely the sweet spot. Collectible skills are broken down in 100 and 200 GP chunks.

Potato Jones fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Aug 28, 2015

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Well that blows just about every anniversary event in an MMO I've seen out of the water :kimchi:

Coming from WoW: No kidding huh. With the exception of the year they updated Onyxia in Wrath, and updated MC this past one, WoW anniversary events have been pretty weak. Usually there's at least a pet that gets mailed to you, but there was at least one or two years where all you got was a mail. :effort:

Just got/unlocked my first job: Black Mage, but man do I hope those red mage rumours are true. Classes that mix hitting poo poo with swords and slinging spells are the best. They were one of my favorite jobs in FF3 and FFTA.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Think i'm gonna dedicate one of my retainers purely to holding champagne and heavenscrackers.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Ran EXDR today and got 2 SMN and a SCH in my group. Everyone was i190+ (eso weapons) and holy poo poo I've never cleared never reap so quickly. Also if you want a great example of why PLD needs some better AoE threat generation, run with that group composition. I had to spam flash a lot to keep hold of the trash packs. Luckily everything melted so fast that me not doing normal amounts of combos probably didn't slow us down that much, but still. I haven't felt the PLD pain in dungeons much since getting i190, but it was a little rough.

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

Oxyclean posted:

but man do I hope those red mage rumours are true. Classes that mix hitting poo poo with swords and slinging spells are the best. They were one of my favorite jobs in FF3 and FFTA.

yes :hfive:

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

I need more birdclothes

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I hope Red Mage is a tank.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Hunter Noventa posted:

I missed the live letter, but they hinted at Red Mage and Samurai? I want to hear more about this.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Ouhei posted:

Ran EXDR today and got 2 SMN and a SCH in my group. Everyone was i190+ (eso weapons) and holy poo poo I've never cleared never reap so quickly. Also if you want a great example of why PLD needs some better AoE threat generation, run with that group composition. I had to spam flash a lot to keep hold of the trash packs. Luckily everything melted so fast that me not doing normal amounts of combos probably didn't slow us down that much, but still. I haven't felt the PLD pain in dungeons much since getting i190, but it was a little rough.

I've ran into this same situation twice. 2 days ago I ran HLDR as a PLD and got Wanderer's Palace HM and got 2 SMNs and a SCH too. We wiped to the first boss four times because all they must have been doing was ruin spam. I was doing more DPS than them (I wasn't running ACT but I could tell) because despite 3 arcanists, I'd only see 1 set of Bio II / Bio / Miasma up. They wouldn't kill the fire spears on time despite me saying "hey, loving stop hitting him and kill the spears."

Same crap with the final boss. They would ignore the idols, and the adds. The adds of course would kill me, because the healer isn't doing anything. Thankfully 2 of them dropped and got replaced by competent players and we killed him first try and I got all 3 comms, so hurray it wasn't all lost :unsmith: Yesterday I ran library with the same situation. Granted I was 59 and the SMNs were 60 and 190ish ilvl, but holy hell it was hard to hold threat.

It just surprises me that some people can get to level 50 and not have a fundamental understanding of how their class works.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Potato Jones posted:

A set of HQ crafted gear (level 60 et al.) only needs 3 GP melded to hit 600.

Edit: 600 is still most definitely the sweet spot. Collectible skills are broken down in 100 and 200 GP chunks.

It is quite easy to reach 600 GP with level 56-60 jewelry, but 600 GP is useful before then for gathering collectables for exp.

Pierson posted:

So wait going back a second, for levelling Botany/Miner I want 600gp? If all I have is the basic entry-level stuff (AF sets and the level 55 rings etc) is there a quick and preferably cheap way to boost myself up to 600gp?

Assuming a full set of i55 jewelry, the base GP is 585, which means a +3 GP materia in two rings + earring + wrist + choker will get you there, no overmelds which means it's probably not too expensive.

seiferguy posted:

I've ran into this same situation twice. 2 days ago I ran HLDR as a PLD and got Wanderer's Palace HM and got 2 SMNs and a SCH too. We wiped to the first boss four times because all they must have been doing was ruin spam. I was doing more DPS than them (I wasn't running ACT but I could tell) because despite 3 arcanists, I'd only see 1 set of Bio II / Bio / Miasma up. They wouldn't kill the fire spears on time despite me saying "hey, loving stop hitting him and kill the spears."

Same crap with the final boss. They would ignore the idols, and the adds. The adds of course would kill me, because the healer isn't doing anything. Thankfully 2 of them dropped and got replaced by competent players and we killed him first try and I got all 3 comms, so hurray it wasn't all lost :unsmith: Yesterday I ran library with the same situation. Granted I was 59 and the SMNs were 60 and 190ish ilvl, but holy hell it was hard to hold threat.

It just surprises me that some people can get to level 50 and not have a fundamental understanding of how their class works.

For HLDR/Trial Roulette I tend to play black mage over summoner just because it feels awful to go back to the level 50 summoner after playing it at 60 for so long. At level 50, black mage is relaxing while summoner just feels boring, when compared to their respective level 60 toolsets.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
what about the corsair job, was that sort of killed by machinist?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Captain Oblivious posted:

No.

Also, don't craft, it's a black hole of money and time without end or hope. Unless you really really enjoy crafting.

But yeah crafting is gonna cost millions of gil pretty much no matter how you cut it.

It's possible to craft without spending millions.

You just need to level every other crafting class, every gathering class, and then gather all the materials yourself! :eng101:

:eng99:

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

How long has it been since I played Summoner? Well,

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

Anderron Shi posted:

what about the corsair job, was that sort of killed by machinist?

It kinda got split into MCH and AST

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Pierson posted:

You can buy NQ food in Ishgard that gives you +24 GP.

Also while leveling, it's a good idea to meld a little STR/MND as a miner and DEX/INT as a botanist, depending on your race and level. The random node bonuses you get are really good (like +2 gathering attempts!!) but you need to have good enough stats to activate them. Some elemental resistance isn't a bad idea either (+2 yield bonus).

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Boten Anna posted:

I hope Red Mage is a tank.
Real magic based tank would own.

seiferguy posted:

Armory bonus + fate spam = people that don't know how to actually play a job.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Sarrisan posted:

Not sure exactly what you mean here but the new jobs don't have classes. They start at level 30 with their soulstones, no previous class required except one class at 50 to get through the main story to Ishgard.

I meant for cross class skills. I don't have any of the other classes leveled up for cross class skills yet so I'd need to do so for DRK and MCH.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
pvp is completely balanced and not soul crushingly poo poo at matchmaking at all

promise

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Ouhei posted:

Real magic based tank would own.

I really unironically hope the next two tanks are Red Mage and Dancer, giving us a true magic based tank and an agility tank. If Dancer is a tank, it will be the only thing that could pry me away from WAR main as it would likely be a combination of my two favorite things, agility tanking and pretty outfits and poo poo.

I could actually see RDM being a tank for a variety of reasons. First of all, it'd be an easy pattern to answer the question the devs have asked as to where they can fit it in a holy trinity system: white mage is healer, black mage is dps, red mage, therefore, a tank of course! There's also the issue of it being difficult to get people to choose tank roles in these games, and DRK has been rather successful at pulling people in to tank roles that normally would never level anything not a DPS just because they like the job. Red Mage has a similar pull.

The only downside is it's a little bit of a stretch thematically, but I don't think it's impossible to overcome that. Red mages being kind of pompous showoffs makes sense for pulling threat, and the jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none thing can translate to abilities that do middling damage and middling mitigation/self-healing and high threat.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Dancer can't be melee damage since there would be too much overlap thematically between Dancer and Monk, but I don't think they'd add two new tanks.

I wonder if it'll end up being something like RDM tank, SMR melee damage, DNC healer?

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

Kitfox88 posted:

pvp is completely balanced and not soul crushingly poo poo at matchmaking at all

promise

You know that not only does Frontlines doesn't bother with queuing specific roles when putting a group together and that you can change jobs with no penalty before the match begins?

Play a healer and :gitgud:

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Kitfox88 posted:

promise

You can ask them to switch classes since there's no restriction on it.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Brannock posted:

Dancer can't be melee damage since there would be too much overlap thematically between Dancer and Monk, but I don't think they'd add two new tanks.

I wonder if it'll end up being something like RDM tank, SMR melee damage, DNC healer?

I don't think they'll add DNC and RDM at the same time. My guess is more along the lines of that will be the tanks in the next two xpacs. I'm not really sure what order, though.

I don't think dnc will be melee dps either. If it's not a tank it might be some kind of punchhealer which would be fun, but I'm really rooting for agility tank.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

DNC would make most sense as a melee bard/mechanist but Id love if it was a melee healer. Like they could have a dedicated healing stance where they could main heal like a normal healer and then a support healer stance where they do incidental healing by punching poo poo.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

How does tanking in this game compare to tanking in WoW?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

How many times are people going to say the exact same things about what classes they want in the game?

Oxyclean posted:

How does tanking in this game compare to tanking in WoW?

I haven't done any serious raiding in WOW since Lich King, but I think tanks in FF14 take less damage and do more damage. They're more like hybrid DPS classes that can hold threat and take a punch. A good tank's DPS output is around 80% of a true DPS class's.

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

How many times are people going to say the exact same things about what classes they want in the game?

'til the end of time.

Griz
May 21, 2001

Iron Tusk posted:

You can ask them to switch classes since there's no restriction on it.

I tried this once. one person switched, giving our 24 man team a grand total of two healers.

unsurprisingly, we lost.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also another big difference between WOW tanking and FF14 tanking is that you can't completely eliminate critical hits. You can get a cross-class skill that makes you immune to them for a short time, but it's not a permanent passive thing like in WOW. Fortunately the attacks that you really have to worry about while tanking can't crit, it's usually just auto-attacks.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Does anyone have the DRK tank mount thing? Wondering what it looks like.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

Also another big difference between WOW tanking and FF14 tanking is that you can't completely eliminate critical hits. You can get a cross-class skill that makes you immune to them for a short time, but it's not a permanent passive thing like in WOW. Fortunately the attacks that you really have to worry about while tanking can't crit, it's usually just auto-attacks.

Wasn't there a coil fight that auto crit you? I never tanked it but whenever I asked about awareness that's the only fight anyone cited.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Thanks for these. Just saw them today. The gathering one seems a bit odd since elsewhere I was reading that you need 651 gathering to 1-hit reveal red scrip nodes. I melded my gear yesterday to be 651 gathering, 645 preception, 600 GP. Not sure why the gathering one has the stats aligned as they are.

I'll have to tackle the crafting one another day.

As for scrip gear, I know for DoH there is the crafted gear with materia slots and then the scrip gear without slots. For DoL, is it just the scrip gear?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Thumbtacks posted:

Wasn't there a coil fight that auto crit you? I never tanked it but whenever I asked about awareness that's the only fight anyone cited.
Also Shiva, awareness is good during bow phase.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Thumbtacks posted:

T11 had an add with autocrit

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

The real trick to winning PVP is holding three nodes while the other two GCs fight for the last one. I don't know what the hell they're trying to do besides lose but it had made PVP super easy this week :v:

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Thumbtacks posted:

The cube in turn 11 auto-crits. I feel like there's something else in a different, earlier fight that also does it that I don't remember offhand.

Edit: Someone has indicated to me that they remember snake adds from T5 having high crit chance, which while not quite being the same as auto-crit, did make awareness somewhat useful at the time.

Olesh fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Aug 28, 2015

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I I honestly think I'm going to end up pvping more than raiding, I'm starting to really like it.

I'm not super sure what role tanks play, though. Locking down healers and baiting cleanses, presumably.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Third Party Tools representing the Dusk Leather scene :c00l:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Thumbtacks posted:

I I honestly think I'm going to end up pvping more than raiding, I'm starting to really like it.

I'm not super sure what role tanks play, though. Locking down healers and baiting cleanses, presumably.

Warriors have absolutely insane burst DPS thanks to berserk/fell cleave. There's a reason that warriors frequently are high on the kill list.

• Locked thread