Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

01011001 posted:

It's a bit misleading, as those projects might start communally, but in most cases you can bet that if one of them got finished it was less a function of the community and more a function of the 1-5 people who gave enough of a drat about whatever silly poo poo everyone thought up to actually stick with it.

That's pretty much what I can recall that happened with the Pokémon Tabletop, although it was way more than 5 people working on the development! (Before the split at least)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Ratpick posted:

I once toyed around with the idea for an RPG where you'd start each encounter at 0 and by using your basic attacks you'd also gain MP or Refresh or whatever it's called, so that you'd only be able to unlock your biggest and baddest attacks after a couple of rounds of combat. Flavor it however you like, maybe in order to perform greater magics you first need to open yourself up as a conduit between the magical realm and this one by using basic spells or something, I don't know.

I had a simillar idea for a mech game I called it a tension guage and you built it up by getting hit and using basi attacks you could spend a little of it for somthing simmilar to an encounter power or when it was full use your super move.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

01011001 posted:

It's a bit misleading, as those projects might start communally, but in most cases you can bet that if one of them got finished it was less a function of the community and more a function of the 1-5 people who gave enough of a drat about whatever silly poo poo everyone thought up to actually stick with it.

Pretty much what happened with Chapter Master and Engine Heart (though the latter was directed by one man, Viral, from the beginning iirc)

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Oh god... What have I done?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Baron Snow posted:

Hopefully, you've decided to do an F&F writeup because I'm curious.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Baron Snow posted:

Is that for BESM? I remember there being a bunch of anime books for it. I have the Tenchi Muyo one, for example.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Baron Snow posted:

ahahaha. Yesssss. I remember this. :allears:

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Baron Snow posted:

Something amazing and beautiful :allears:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I actually demoed that for GOO at a con... I can't remember what con, maybe GenCon? There's something slightly surreal and great about running a demo for adolescent girls in the sea of neckbeards, particularly at the time. Who knows if they ever played the game again, but it was certainly a different experience as a GM.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ProfessorCirno posted:

To be frank the only reason most ttrpgs DON'T do this is because of TRADITIOOOOOOOOON! TRADITION! D&D started as a resource management game, and even though most of that playstyle has been left far behind, it still tries to keep the same method of keeping track of resources. And as with most things traditional in the hobby, good fuckin' luck trying to see it get changed.

It becomes especially out of place when people try to use D&D to tell "sweeping fantasy epics" and then either they don't realize that the underlying mechanics are still shackled to a dungeon-crawl-based "4-6 encounters a day", or they do realize it and then have to bend over backwards to try and make it fit.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Even sweeping fantasy epics should have some resource management and the ability to be "beaten down" a bit it's just thst they then need some sort of rules for overcoming the odds Like i love tenra bansho zero's health system as you reach new teirs of wounded you gain bonuses to hits and damage also you can't be killed unless you choose to but making that choice gives you powerful bonuses

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Well no I'm not saying that games like those shouldn't have resource management, but "your resources come back after a night's sleep" is a mechanic that largely assumes you're down in a dungeon where sleep is either impossible or requires some of those same resources you're trying to conserve anyway.

Trying to enforce that, along with the "you should have 2-4 attrition battles before the big finale" mechanic doesn't always jive well with being out in the wilderness, or doing an urban adventure, or doing political intrigue or whatever.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Well no I'm not saying that games like those shouldn't have resource management, but "your resources come back after a night's sleep" is a mechanic that largely assumes you're down in a dungeon where sleep is either impossible or requires some of those same resources you're trying to conserve anyway.

Or that you have Rope Trick.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Anyone have any suggestion for a God game? I was reading this game story earlier about a group of demigods plotting for godhood, and now I want something like that! Ideally pretty free form, without being too restrictive. Or, hell, anything that's reasonably God game-y just so I can read about em'!

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Nobilis is pretty much exactly that.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

dog kisser posted:

Anyone have any suggestion for a God game? I was reading this game story earlier about a group of demigods plotting for godhood, and now I want something like that! Ideally pretty free form, without being too restrictive. Or, hell, anything that's reasonably God game-y just so I can read about em'!

Nobilis 3e is fantastic for this, though the default setting is very hit and miss.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

dog kisser posted:

Gods and Monsters is a pretty great game I helped playtest. Its basic idea is that it's the dawn of time and you're gods working to shape the world according to your desires. It's Fate Core, and the aspects really work to let you make huge changes to the world with a minimum of rules cruft. Just as the world is new and still being formed, your god isn't completely set, and depending on the approaches you lean on you can find your form and powers shifting as your worshippers start imagining you differently.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Everyone should be familiar with Nobilis if you want to be a scholar of sweet games

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Flavivirus posted:

Gods and Monsters is a pretty great game I helped playtest. Its basic idea is that it's the dawn of time and you're gods working to shape the world according to your desires. It's Fate Core, and the aspects really work to let you make huge changes to the world with a minimum of rules cruft. Just as the world is new and still being formed, your god isn't completely set, and depending on the approaches you lean on you can find your form and powers shifting as your worshippers start imagining you differently.

Sweet, I had exactly enough left on my DTRPG account to get this.

I'll check out Nobilis too. It's one of those things where I don't know if I want to PLAY them, or just, like, read them and collect them.

edit: Gods and Monsters is exactly perfect! I wonder if someone's doing a PBP I could read or get in on!

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 27, 2015

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Is that for BESM? I remember there being a bunch of anime books for it. I have the Tenchi Muyo one, for example.
It used BESM's Tri-Stat rules, but it was their first licensed RPG, and had the full rules in it, with the selection of traits thoroughly modified for Sailor Moon characters. I think it was a better fit for the rules than a lot of the other things they tried to do, but it still had the fundamental mediocrity of Tri-Stat.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Guilty Spork posted:

It used BESM's Tri-Stat rules, but it was their first licensed RPG, and had the full rules in it, with the selection of traits thoroughly modified for Sailor Moon characters. I think it was a better fit for the rules than a lot of the other things they tried to do, but it still had the fundamental mediocrity of Tri-Stat.

Also the incredible vagueness of BESM 1e, where buying a level 6 attack got you "an attack of cosmic power" with no real definition of what that did, except that if you hit an enemy with it, it did like 120 damage.

I ran BESM for ages, I still have a well worn autographed copy of BESM 2e, in fact, along with Sailor Moon and the book of youma volume 1. There was no volume 2, as far as I know.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Whichever version of BESM I first played will remain my favourite stupid game because when I made my first character I just picked stuff that looked cool and ended up with a gun that could nuke cities for something like ten points.

Dec 26, 2012

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

That's pretty much what I can recall that happened with the Pokémon Tabletop, although it was way more than 5 people working on the development! (Before the split at least)

Helical Nightmares posted:

Pretty much what happened with Chapter Master and Engine Heart (though the latter was directed by one man, Viral, from the beginning iirc)

Yeah, I'm not saying that hypothetically, I was involved in one of them like 7 years ago. At the point where we collectively ended it, there were three of us, of which two contributed meaningfully to the conversation.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

01011001 posted:

Yeah, I'm not saying that hypothetically, I was involved in one of them like 7 years ago. At the point where we collectively ended it, there were three of us, of which two contributed meaningfully to the conversation.

But which one were you?!

Dec 26, 2012

We may never know.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
For what it's worth re: The Pokemon Tabletop RPG, I enjoyed playing what was basically Francis York Morgan, but with a Totodile that was the only witness to a gruesome murder.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
The newer version of the pokemon tabletop is much less cumbersome but still needs a good trip behind the woodshed to actually be smooth to use. I guess it's a baby steps thing, it went from basically unplayable to playable with some work.

Baron Snow posted:

There are like, I think, 3 Sailor Moon games (not counting the tons of generic Magical Girl games that are totally Sailor Moon) and if I remember right one was actually pretty solid, the other was decent but kinda half-hearted, and the last just outright sucked so I guess you have 2/3rds a chance to at least have a decent game?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

I've always liked how 13th Age handled "daily" powers; you could only use them once per day, but after a battle you made a d20 roll and on an 16+ or something you got the power back. And you got to roll after every battle, not just the one you used the power in.
Depends on whether you play with Rob or Jonathan :v:

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

NinjaDebugger posted:

Also the incredible vagueness of BESM 1e, where buying a level 6 attack got you "an attack of cosmic power" with no real definition of what that did, except that if you hit an enemy with it, it did like 120 damage.

I ran BESM for ages, I still have a well worn autographed copy of BESM 2e, in fact, along with Sailor Moon and the book of youma volume 1. There was no volume 2, as far as I know.

I'm in the death throes of 5 year(!) BESM game, and suffice to say we have plumbed the depths of that system and seen exactly how insane it can get if you don't apply a ton of restraint while statting basically anything.

It's been fun, in part because BESM can actually be pretty appropriate for statting wacky anime powers, but I don't you'd get any of us saying that it was a good system or recommend it to anyone else.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
What is the gooncensus on OVA 2nd Edition? The game that is trying to be a better BESM? From reading it over, it looked good, but I haven't played it yet.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Today is Jack Kirby's birthday, so I'm required by nerd law to post the most game-able map ever written.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Mad-hole, Country of the screamers! My next campaign setting.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Jack Kirby is the best superhero comic artist and writer of all time.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Proud to live in the Expanding Tiger Empire, but my heart belongs to the Kangarat Murder Society.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

Be careful to not trip on that bar.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm the Base of Gorilla Commandos

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

So I'm not emptyquoting, I'll just say that Kangarat Murder Society is the name of my punk all-cover band.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I like how a lot of stuff has really extravagant names and then there's Snow Wizards. Just Snow Wizards.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I live among what I assume are the Wolf Garibaldens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Swagger Dagger posted:

I like how a lot of stuff has really extravagant names and then there's Snow Wizards. Just Snow Wizards.

It's hard to keep up that level of extravagant for every piece of the globe. Somewhere was going to get the simple name.

• Locked thread