Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Rigged Death Trap posted:

oh hey the plot to supes III.
My favorite bit is where he goes and puts out the olympic torch as it's brought into the stadium.

Also the plot to like three dozen Superman comics from the 50s-70s at least. "Superman is suddenly a gigantic rear end in a top hat" was the cover gimmick a lot and often came across that way in the story proper. Superman III borrowing it was one of its few wise moves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Skwirl posted:

You die a lot in Lone Wolf. gently caress, you can die in that from pure random chance.

You can but they did at least have multiple ways to the reach the ending compared with the official CYOA line or Fighting Fantasy books, which tended to have One True Path and if you didn't somehow make it through exactly you get horribly killed at the penultimate hurdle.

Blood Sword was the best of the genre, and even when it did screw you over it was usually in entertaining ways:

Did you loot the crystals (several passages previously)? Turn to 387 if Yes, or 292 if No

You feel a wet, oily sensation from where you stored the crystals in your pack. Your companions gape in horror as you rapidly melt into a puddle of fleshy goo which begins to spread over the bones of the titan, restoring it to life.

:stare:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
The Choose Your Own Adventure situation that sticks in my mind was you sitting in a car, and then you feel somebody holding a gun up against the back of your neck. They want you to give them something (I don't remember what it was). If you call bullshit, they blow your brains out. If you give them what they want, they split and you find out they didn't have a gun; they were just pressing a metal tube against the back of your neck. :argh:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
something went horribly wrong

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Aug 28, 2015

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Clickhole's Clickventures satisfy my craving for CYOAs.

Today's is pretty great. YOU ARE THE WORLD'S GREATEST HACKER

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

prefect posted:

The Choose Your Own Adventure situation that sticks in my mind was you sitting in a car, and then you feel somebody holding a gun up against the back of your neck. They want you to give them something (I don't remember what it was). If you call bullshit, they blow your brains out. If you give them what they want, they split and you find out they didn't have a gun; they were just pressing a metal tube against the back of your neck. :argh:

There was one CYOA in the Endless Quest series ("Dragon of Doom") that was basically figuring out a way to not get killed until help arrived. "You" never really did anything important to affect the story outcome so much as not make bad decisions until the antagonist pisses that book's version of God off enough for him to intervene.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
There actually weren't too many really bad endings in that JL one, which was a "Super Powers" tie-in. Most of them would be "whoops, you misunderstood the clue and the enemies got away!" Also there were three unique story paths as at the beginning they do the standard "heroes need to split up" and you pick one third of the multi-part scheme to handle by choosing which hero to be. I can't remember one of them, but Flash and Batman were the other two.

I just remember being disturbed by the Flash thing.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I had a Super Mario CYOA that was pretty grisly especially for Mario. One of the endings involved getting pounded into bread dough or something like that.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Stop talking about Choose Your Own Adventures; today is Jack Kirby's birthday so post the Kirby-est panels.

New Gods #6

OMAC #2

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
From the Jack Kirby version of 2001:

redbackground fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Aug 28, 2015

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
New Gods

Ultimate Cosmic Experience

Fantastic Four 2

Fantastic Four 51

Fantastic Four 25

Fantastic Four 57

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Aug 28, 2015

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Choco1980 posted:

I read a Justice League one when I was a kid. On the Flash path there's a point where the bad guys shoot at you with a weird gun. One option is to vibrate your molecules to go through the projectile, a very Flash thing to do. SURPRISE! the gun's effect is to make you permanently in that stasis, so that you'll never be able to touch another thing again, and are helpless to stop the baddies!

In all fairness, that does sound like a plot ripped straight from a silver age comic.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Aug 28, 2015

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Jack Kirby draws God.

http://comicsalliance.com/cosmic-theology-jack-kirby-representations-of-god-illustrations/

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Jack Kirby is God

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I love this. The guy could convey some loving scale and power.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/65185095@N00/sets/72157623444242645/

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

It kind of blows my mind that Hollywood still hasn't caught up to Jack Kirby.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
For all his use of bright colours, Kirby was really good at hard black shadows.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

One day technology will be able to do Kirby dots in full IMAX 3D and it's going to be great.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Evil Mastermind posted:

today is Jack Kirby's birthday so post the Kirby-est panels.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Choco1980 posted:

That was a timey wimey bull that was immediately undone. However, there was a different JLU episode that was basically the finale to BB that they never got to make that not only tied into JLU's plot heavily, but BB's as well, and revealed...things about the show.
Just saying I utterly despise this particular reveal.

BB was really good IMO; kinda had a tendency to kill villains in horrible ways but also kinda nice not to have the same dude terrorizing Gotham for the 800th time in a row leading to that "Why don't they just execute the Joker?" kinda thinking.

...There are an awful lot of shots of Terry looking shocked as a bad guy dies hideously though, even when half the time he's the one who caused it.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

One day technology will be able to do Kirby dots in full IMAX 3D and it's going to be great.

Honestly, I feel like we could have done it already if anyone went and tried.

It is a worthwhile pursuit!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Madkal posted:

He did help to get those Americans out of Iran.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Jack Kirby: crazy, colorful poo poo breaking loose everywhere

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

No one draws better "monster punching someone" panels better than Kirby did.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Starsnostars posted:

No one draws better "monster punching someone" panels better than Kirby did.
:huh:

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Celestials!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Madkal posted:

Speaking of live-action Kirby we'd all love to see:

Happy Birthday you magnificent son of a bitch.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I almost forgot about the greatest forgotten Kirby thing ever:

Transilvane: a small planet some scientist grew in his basement under Metropolis. The scientists guided evolution by using those projectors to show classic horror movies, so of course the inhabitants evolved into Draculas, Frankensteins, and Werewolves. These little beings then traveled off-planet in size-changing coffin rockets to stop their world from being destroyed via robots with super-bug-spray. Superman saves the day, and begins to turn the Transilvane-ians good by replacing the monster movies with the movie Oklahoma.

Top that.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

mind the walrus posted:

"Twas I! DIO!"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

I almost forgot about the greatest forgotten Kirby thing ever:

Transilvane: a small planet some scientist grew in his basement under Metropolis. The scientists guided evolution by using those projectors to show classic horror movies, so of course the inhabitants evolved into Draculas, Frankensteins, and Werewolves. These little beings then traveled off-planet in size-changing coffin rockets to stop their world from being destroyed via robots with super-bug-spray. Superman saves the day, and begins to turn the Transilvane-ians good by replacing the monster movies with the movie Oklahoma.

Top that.

Really, Oklahoma? There's gotta be a better movie.

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011
In keeping with the Fantastic Four reveal, he also lives in "idea space" and goes around traveling to other worlds:

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

mind the walrus posted:

Happy Birthday you magnificent son of a bitch.

Well, yeah, I guess Professor X is easy pickings when he gets pushed out of his hover/wheelchair.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

tribbledirigible posted:

Well, yeah, I guess Professor X is easy pickings when he gets pushed out of his hover/wheelchair.

Even when he's in it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
With everybody posting Kirby stuff I'm surprised no one's posted the back-up in this week's S.H.I.E.L.D featuring Kirby's original 2 page pitch for Nick Fury Agent of SHIELD. Featuring inking from other beloved BSS artist, Jim Steranko!

(from SHIELD #9)

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
That last panel is my new favorite thing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Professor Wayne posted:

That last panel is my new favorite thing.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Naw, closer to this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

TwoPair posted:

With everybody posting Kirby stuff I'm surprised no one's posted the back-up in this week's S.H.I.E.L.D featuring Kirby's original 2 page pitch for Nick Fury Agent of SHIELD. Featuring inking from other beloved BSS artist, Jim Steranko!

(from SHIELD #9)

Huh. New Fury L Jackson was never new. It's his old deisgn. That explains a bit.