Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I decided to go on another quest to eliminate contraband last night and discovered that my Infirmary and Visitatation rooms are leaking like sieves and I do not know what I'm supposed to do to stop it. I've got two guards deployed in the Infirmary and Visitation has two guards as well (in a much smaller area), plus a constant dog patrol, and prisoners are still stealing from the one and getting passed poo poo in the other at will.

I also found a bug, maybe? I decided to create a huge Workshop because my available jobs were starting to lag my prisoner count by a way too wide margin, and I discovered that no one room will offer more than 20 jobs no matter what (and also available jobs seem to be tied to room size, not presence of machines). I had to dick around with dividing it up in different ways to maximize the amount of jobs I could actually get out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
You cannot stop contraband intake from those rooms, they're facts of life. All you can do is detect it quickly after it has been picked up, with a dog and detector combo. I place my visitation and infirmary rooms very near each other for this exact reason.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Coolguye posted:

You cannot stop contraband intake from those rooms, they're facts of life. All you can do is detect it quickly after it has been picked up, with a dog and detector combo. I place my visitation and infirmary rooms very near each other for this exact reason.
Yeah, I've got those before my prisoners can get very far from both places, but so much of the stuff they get from those rooms -- poison, syringes, cell phones, god I hate cell phones -- are undetectable.

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
I think cell phones and syringes don't get detected by metal detectors and dogs, hence why they are a loving plight.

The room size thing isn't a bug, it's working as intended. Max labor per room is 20, optimal size being 20x12 for a workshop. Some rooms you can get away with less because prisoners only require 2x2 tiles per man, such as laundry and cleaning cupboard.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I fairly regularly get contraband like phones confiscated just from false positives in the metal detectors. Have lots of them around and you basically have a mandatory search regime for your prisoners.

texasmed
May 27, 2004
I agree that it kinda sucks that this marks a departure from the "autonomous prison" idea they started with. It adds a lot more micromanagement and stinks of whack-a-mole minigames that pop up in late-game Theme Hospital, for example.

edit: yes i know it's optional

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
The new alpha seems cool, I don't know why they didn't introduce more production trains but I'm really looking forward to the bug bash. If they can fix staff AI even just a little bit, I think the game is excellent as a simulation.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

So I don't think I like the random event system. In a matter of 20 minutes I had 4 fires in my kitchen, that basically destroyed a huge portion of my kitchen space. What the flying gently caress.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

They mentioned sprinklers being kind of necessary now if you have random events turned on

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Away all Goats posted:

They mentioned sprinklers being kind of necessary now if you have random events turned on

I didn't even realize sprinklers were a thing. Thanks!

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah they've been in the game since the beginning but have basically never been needed since fires were so incredibly rare. Just stick them above your stoves and you should be fine.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I sure hope a UI overhaul is next on their work list, cause drat.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
I got a call from the mayor saying no more vistor rooms, the timer says 92hours, one day in and the prison has 3 deaths and seems very close to a riot due to family need.

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
The random events thing would be cool if it wasn't predictable. Things have been cool for 24 hours? Ring ring

I'd rather they just make it actually RNG random.

I went back to my Gangs on Alpha 35 save because explosions at chemical plants in China? Sure. How often do you hear about an explosion at a prison?

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Spookydonut posted:

I got a call from the mayor saying no more vistor rooms, the timer says 92hours, one day in and the prison has 3 deaths and seems very close to a riot due to family need.

Telephones, telephones everywhere.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Also mail rooms fulfill family needs as well

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

MisterOblivious posted:

Telephones, telephones everywhere.

I have telephones in every cell. I think maybe the event director tweaks their family need to make it worse.

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
You have telephones in every cell? My best cell has a prayer mat and weight bench as added bonuses but the typical cell is a toilet, shower, chair and bed.

This ain't no Ritz Carlton.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

PantsFreeZone posted:

You have telephones in every cell? My best cell has a prayer mat and weight bench as added bonuses but the typical cell is a toilet, shower, chair and bed.

This ain't no Ritz Carlton.

TV and telephone in every cell, also a shower. Cuts down a lot of problems.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If you have a superfulous visitor room limitation, you can just make the rooms bigger. Two alphas ago I had something like 20 visitor room tables in the same room without issue. They've patched a lot of things since then, like allowing you to use regular prison doors on holding cells so maybe that was tweaked since then.

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Spookydonut posted:

TV and telephone in every cell, also a shower. Cuts down a lot of problems.

Do you average out your whole prison? Because I don't and it causes the prisoners in the nice cells to stay in line. I actually only have to monitor Supermax now to make sure Cop Killers don't get killed. Min and Med Sec are safe if I watch the intake 1000 prisoners released, Day 79, 8 Deaths in Custody, 0 escapes.

How many phones can a single bug station handle? I'm thinking about building a huge phone tap room.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

PantsFreeZone posted:

How many phones can a single bug station handle? I'm thinking about building a huge phone tap room.

As many as you want, but it can only listen on one call at a time. So even if your bug station is only hooked up to two phones, if both are in use they'll only be able to listen to one of them. On the other hand, if it's hooked up to a dozen phones and only one is being used, that's all you'll need anyway.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
Guards also seem to prefer to man wiretap stations rather than remote door ones, so bear that in mind. I have a switch next to the wiretaps so I can toggle them on and off whenever I have an intelligence gap that needs filling and I don't have any CIs that can provide new info

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Don't need to phone tap if you've got good walls and theres no contraband coming in.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Spookydonut posted:

Don't need to phone tap if you've got good walls and theres no contraband coming in.
Don't you either have to put all your buildings on the edges of your walls (and then never expand outward) or double-wall it to prevent that, though? They can throw like six squares in.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

CapnAndy posted:

Don't you either have to put all your buildings on the edges of your walls (and then never expand outward) or double-wall it to prevent that, though? They can throw like six squares in.

Double wall isn't hard, because the inner wall can just be a cheap fence. I gradually fill in the space between the inner and outer wall with a giant C-shaped building that houses admin and program rooms. That leaves a good thick barrier between the outside and the nearest cell toilet to hamper tunnelers.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
If contraband can't be thrown in, it's ordered in through deliveries of ingredients or whatever, so it doesn't solve all problems. It gets solved by putting metal detectors around your deliveries areas, and dog patrols in the destination area (typically the kitchen and the workshop bench where sheet metal is dropped off).

You can put the dog patrols on the deliveries section, but frequently your workers will move them before the dog has a chance to sniff it. So it's better to keep them at the destination, where they'll typically have a sufficient amount of time to search it before an inmate gets access to it.

Phone taps also reveal prisoner reputations like CIs do, which is handy all around. That said, if that's all you're using it for, a massive phone tap room is neither necessary nor helpful.

Angela Christine posted:

Double wall isn't hard, because the inner wall can just be a cheap fence. I gradually fill in the space between the inner and outer wall with a giant C-shaped building that houses admin and program rooms. That leaves a good thick barrier between the outside and the nearest cell toilet to hamper tunnelers.

Especially since the change to Forestry that makes the zone a huge contraband trap, I frequently just fill it with Forestry zones and mark the entire area staff only. Logs are stupid profitable, I need very little room for admin space in the grand scheme of things, and I find it's better to leave resource rooms integrated with their own security cell block to make scheduling easier.

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
I love that they fixed the Carpentry skill/program bug. That loving Grant was the last one in my TODO list since forever.

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006

Coolguye posted:

Especially since the change to Forestry that makes the zone a huge contraband trap, I frequently just fill it with Forestry zones and mark the entire area staff only. Logs are stupid profitable, I need very little room for admin space in the grand scheme of things, and I find it's better to leave resource rooms integrated with their own security cell block to make scheduling easier.

Just be prepared to hire a loving army of builders if you want anything to get done reliably fast. I think I have 60 on my latest save, of which about 40-50 are constantly chopping trees and moving the logs.

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Anyone got any suggestions/tips/tricks for keeping the game from Dwarf Fortressing to a grinding halt? It gets stuttery around 500-600 prisoners + 300ish staff. It runs but at double speed it reminds me of when you shove a gallon of milk on the kitchen counter and it shuffles a few extra times as the liquid shifts from motion to stillness.

fyi: My rig is pretty good.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Absorbs Smaller Goons posted:

Just be prepared to hire a loving army of builders if you want anything to get done reliably fast. I think I have 60 on my latest save, of which about 40-50 are constantly chopping trees and moving the logs.

Have they changed it again? I remember when the gardeners were doing all the work.

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
Well the gardeners plant the trees and I guess they could do all the cutting and hauling (not sure) but if you do the whole perimeter in a 10 sq large security zone then they will get overwhelmed pretty quickly.

I didn't try to hire 50 gardeners to see if it fixes the problem, it might. It's easier to just hire a shitload of workers and that way they can also build poo poo if there is ever a lull in the forestry business (there isn't though).

E: also it pretty much hosed my delivery and the road gate system since there is like a massive backlog of trucks with a few trees in the cargo. I had a few escape attempts where the prisoners knew (kind of stupid since they don't have LoS) the road gates were all open and tried to make a run for the delivery area. They didn't make it since the inside doors and main prison doors were closed but had they been lucky they could've escaped.

Absorbs Smaller Goons fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Aug 31, 2015

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Well, I just had the deeply amusing experience of my #1 troublemaker in the prison being a Death Row inmate. Turns out that you actually can't punish those guys very much -- they're already in permanent lockdown, and it's not like I could reassign him to Supermax. While most dudes have accepted their fate, this one guy had gone absolutely bugfuck crazy and was smashing up his cell while screaming about wanting to see his family and go outside pretty much constantly, and he'd attack the guards when they came to subdue him.

Him hitting 0% clemency chance was extremely satisfying. He finally got to take a walk outside, and his mom and girlfriend showed up as witnesses, so he even got to see his family. For about thirty seconds.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Gaj posted:

Im trying to map out the next iteration of what I lovingly call "Oz V14.6". Before the introduction of gangs and cell ratings I had perfected a system of mirrored 80 man cell blocks serviced by a centralized corridor of kitchens and laundries. Adding mail services or commissary shouldnt be a problem, but I have never made a successful factory setup. But tackling gangs seems like the biggest structural problem to any new prison, how to contain and control gangs. Does anyone have any ideas on how to segregate and contain their destructive actions?

My initial theory is that in any "mixed" facility gangs should be placed in the Max-Sec wing. Even while Med and Min-Sec prisoners may be gang members, the best course of action is to elevate their security rating. This would fit in the prison economy, as Max-sec prisoners give the most daily cash, while they are the least likely to participate in any work programs. Meanwhile your "trust worthy" Med-Sec may be put to work as janitors, factory workers, and cooks. I dont believe in Min-Sec or Protected custody unless they are doing the safest of janitor jobs, for the warden and such.

I was reading this article and this thread came to mind

http://alj.am/lm6r - "A legal settlement announced Tuesday will end decades-long prison isolation strictly because of gang affiliation"

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
There's a pretty big bug with random events turned on, if you leave the game paused for a while (like an hour) a random event triggers while the game is paused and unpauses the game, then you come back to a prison with 1 surviving prisoner who also has the plague.

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Spookydonut posted:

There's a pretty big bug with random events turned on, if you leave the game paused for a while (like an hour) a random event triggers while the game is paused and unpauses the game, then you come back to a prison with 1 surviving prisoner who also has the plague.

hahaha

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I got bored with my perfectly running small prison, so I sold it for $1.4 million and bought a medium prison and I'm turning gangs on this time. I'm very excited!

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Are they doing a bugbash for this month's release instead of new features?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The next release is probably going to be called version 1.0, so yeah no real new features. Probably tweaks to some mechanics and balancing still.

They actually closed a bug as "fixed in 1.0" relating to TimeWarpFactor inconsistencies. I wonder what exactly they have done with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
They've hinted multiple times at some kind of unique staff character mechanic (including the last Alpha video), so I wonder if that will be in at release. Seems odd to leave big features like that out of 1.0 given how this game's been developed.

• Locked thread