Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

podcat posted:

we always said we would have NATO symbols

Aka dumbed down mode for the casuals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Wiz posted:

Aka dumbed down mode for the casuals.

Lol.

I really can't wait to see if HoI4 comes out before Stellaris.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

podcat posted:

some weeks back USA came out of the depression as communist EVERY TIME :E

Just as God intended :ussr:

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

Vichan posted:

That reminds me, is Kaiserreich still being updated?

Yeah, 1.6 came out not too long ago. They're still going back and filling out storylines for different regional powers.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So Kaiserreich is a mod for DH or part of the base game?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

So Kaiserreich is a mod for DH or part of the base game?

Mod for DH. Alternate scenario where Germany won WWI, Russia didn't go red and France & Britain got taken over by communists syndicalists.

It started off as a mod that replaced the Soviet Union with Russia and then just sort of snowballed from there.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
You can always try CORE for aod. That one hasn't been updated for a few years either iirc

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ok thanks guys, been pining for some WWII action and think I'll grab DH. It's only like 9 bux on steam.

PS
The Paradox forums are amazing. I can't get over all the idiots listing their full Vicky2 pop-unit stats in a huge long sig longer than their posts. No one loving cares. Also I've never seen a single Vicky2 self-bio sig that didn't have "consciousness: 10". Some people even list their cash reserves. Then you've got CK2 fans listing their personal stats, everyone is a cynical genius. This thread can argue about nazi's and war crimes in HOI as long as they want so long as they never do Vicky pop unit sigs.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Aug 28, 2015

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Baronjutter posted:

Then you've got CK2 fans listing their personal stats, everyone is a cynical genius.
Wait this actually happens?!?

Barnaby Barnacle
May 25, 2010

podcat posted:

we always said we would have NATO symbols

Does this statement also encompass Stellaris?

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009

podcat posted:

some weeks back USA came out of the depression as communist EVERY TIME :E
What percentage is it now, roughly?
What IRL outcomes do you consider to have been aberrations? Was Communist China out maneuvering the Nationalists 'lucky'?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Bort Bortles posted:

I used to see people post what Victoria 2 POP they were (Yankee Clergyman, getting some Luxury needs :smug:). I also have my favorite DH slider settings as my sig on the Kaiserreich forums, mostly because the people who go less than fully Democratic and Free Society scare me and someone needs to balance them out.

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

as a Slothful yet Genius Cynical Grey Eminence that believes in Atheism, Residency, and Pro-Military i'll have you know that

something something the purple phoenix will rise again something something serbia bird mana kebab something rebel flag avatar

actually here's the most paradox.txt thing I've personally found

quote:

Well, I had no idea the Zoroastrians got so close to reclaiming Persia. drat Turks, another empire and culture you've totally wrecked!

quote:

Yet another reason to remove kebab. They killed wincest!

Kavak posted:

I used to see people post what Victoria 2 POP they were (Yankee Clergyman, getting some Luxury needs :smug:). I also have my favorite DH slider settings as my sig on the Kaiserreich forums, mostly because the people who go less than fully Democratic and Free Society scare me and someone needs to balance them out.

How else am I going to bring about the revolution :anarchists:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Kavak posted:

the people who go less than fully Democratic and Free Society scare me and someone needs to balance them out.
Is that truly a necessity?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Who from Paradox made the trip out to Seattle for PAX? I'd be happy to buy some rounds of that bacon vodka you guys seem to love.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Struensee posted:

You can always try CORE for aod. That one hasn't been updated for a few years either iirc

that mod turned Germany into an unstopable force until 1944 when suddendly they became crippled citizens while the USSR and the USA became super sayans.

way too railroady

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Strudel Man posted:

Is that truly a necessity?

No, I just felt like indulging myself.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Bort Bortles posted:

I saw a thread on reddit once where people did this, it was as bad as you'd expect. Everyone cynical, a lot of Quick/Genius, almost no one admitted to Weak or Ugly, lots of Strategist, etc. Decent amount of Sympathy for Pagans. IIRC one dude was claiming Mirza, unclear if he was being ironic.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Kavak posted:

Bold Robot posted:

I saw a thread on reddit once where people did this, it was as bad as you'd expect. Everyone cynical, a lot of Quick/Genius, almost no one admitted to Weak or Ugly, lots of Strategist, etc. Decent amount of Sympathy for Pagans. IIRC one dude was claiming Mirza, unclear if he was being ironic.
:cripes:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Kavak posted:

No, I just felt like indulging myself.
Fair enough.

Bold Robot posted:

IIRC one dude was claiming Mirza, unclear if he was being ironic.
That's not exactly outside the realm of possibility.

Wikipedia posted:

Although reliable statistics are unavailable, conservative estimates put the number of Sayyids in the tens of millions.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 28, 2015

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Bold Robot posted:

IIRC one dude was claiming Mirza, unclear if he was being ironic.

Mirza/Syed are actually a thing, it's not weird for a person to claim that.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

VostokProgram posted:

Mirza/Syed are actually a thing, it's not weird for a person to claim that.

Yeah but that would mean he was muslamic and would therefore be to busy blowing him self up to post online. :rolleye:

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Me:

Genius (I have nothing to back this up)
CYNICAL (I'm an atheist :c00l:)
Master strategist (I've never been in the military)
Attractive (I don't leave my chair)

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Ugly inbred hunchback dwarf master seducer. :getin:

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I have the Aztec Disease :(

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
I'm moon moon :(

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

wukkar posted:

What percentage is it now, roughly?
What IRL outcomes do you consider to have been aberrations? Was Communist China out maneuvering the Nationalists 'lucky'?

Oh sort of related to this: will the Nats and Commies both be represented as competing nation states with "cores" on one anothers provinces or will we be getting cool new partisan and civil war mechanics (please use something like the CK2 factions system Paradox)

DrSunshine posted:

Ugly inbred hunchback dwarf master seducer. :getin:

Tyrion Lannister I presume

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Baronjutter posted:

Ok thanks guys, been pining for some WWII action and think I'll grab DH. It's only like 9 bux on steam.

PS
The Paradox forums are amazing. I can't get over all the idiots listing their full Vicky2 pop-unit stats in a huge long sig longer than their posts. No one loving cares. Also I've never seen a single Vicky2 self-bio sig that didn't have "consciousness: 10". Some people even list their cash reserves. Then you've got CK2 fans listing their personal stats, everyone is a cynical genius. This thread can argue about nazi's and war crimes in HOI as long as they want so long as they never do Vicky pop unit sigs.

I like that guy whose sig quotes a stick figure webcomic because it's so badass, man

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I guess I'm in the minority in that I actually like Vicky 2's POPs and economy in all their complexity. I do admit that the way they're presented to the player could use some work (just finding out what POPs actually NEED when they say they're missing their various life/daily/luxury needs is like three menus deep), and the capitalist AI has absolutely no idea how to make money, but I think it's really cool to actually see the effect of drawn out conflicts on the civilian population in a game rather than just having some kind of Civ style abstraction. I'm hoping Stellaris POPs have at least that level of detail to them.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I don't know if this is the right thread realy for Darkest Hour / Kaiserreich stuff but anyone care to give me some tips? I'm hoping to play as France and liberate europe from monarchy and conservatism but Kaiserreich seems super event driven and I'm rusty as gently caress with my Hoi2. I only ever played Hoi2 and Arsenal of Democracy so if anyone has a bit of a primer on DH or Kaiserreich I'd really appreciate it.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

As France, you'll get decisions in 37 and 39 that can lead to war- you'll know them when they show up. Go with Manuever doctrine in the elections, because you'll be fighting a war of attrition with Germany's larger manpower reserves and you'll need every advantage you can get. Your navy should be fleets of heavy cruisers with torpedoes.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

So I guess I accidentally published something by a literal neo-nazi to that Believable Worlds blog I run.

Uh, oops.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Kavak posted:

As France, you'll get decisions in 37 and 39 that can lead to war- you'll know them when they show up. Go with Manuever doctrine in the elections, because you'll be fighting a war of attrition with Germany's larger manpower reserves and you'll need every advantage you can get. Your navy should be fleets of heavy cruisers with torpedoes.

In my first "I don't know what the gently caress I'm doing or how events are scripted to play out" game I declared war on spain early on, shortly after Germany joined against me even though they were not allies. Then england came in on my side. Germany pushed my poo poo in, bad.

So 37-38 is when things are scripted that events leads to war between germany and france? I guess I'm looking at the game from too much of an EU4 perspective, that it's a total sandbox and you can know everything by looking at a country's diplomacy screen. Spain has no allies thus is 100% safe to attack! Wait, scripted events?!

An actual WWII game you can sort of intuit what is going to go down because we're all familiar with the lead up and general unfolding of WWII, but with Kaiserreich it's a scripted alt-history so things sneak up. I tried to find wiki's and poo poo that describe how the game is "supposed" to unfold but didn't come up with much.

Would playing the USA be easier to see how the typical game unfolds? How do you play as the various rebels and break-away US states?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Pikestaff posted:

So I guess I accidentally published something by a literal neo-nazi to that Believable Worlds blog I run.

Uh, oops.

Oh boy, which post so I can unlike it?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Kavak posted:

The one submitted by the guy called "intersectional-fascism"

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Kavak posted:

the one by the guy with the jolly "intersectional-facist" name :v: I wasn't even looking at the guy's name when I published it. My bad.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Baronjutter posted:

In my first "I don't know what the gently caress I'm doing or how events are scripted to play out" game I declared war on spain early on, shortly after Germany joined against me even though they were not allies. Then england came in on my side. Germany pushed my poo poo in, bad.

So 37-38 is when things are scripted that events leads to war between germany and france? I guess I'm looking at the game from too much of an EU4 perspective, that it's a total sandbox and you can know everything by looking at a country's diplomacy screen. Spain has no allies thus is 100% safe to attack! Wait, scripted events?!

An actual WWII game you can sort of intuit what is going to go down because we're all familiar with the lead up and general unfolding of WWII, but with Kaiserreich it's a scripted alt-history so things sneak up. I tried to find wiki's and poo poo that describe how the game is "supposed" to unfold but didn't come up with much.

Would playing the USA be easier to see how the typical game unfolds? How do you play as the various rebels and break-away US states?

Playing in the second American civil war is a clusterfuck and probably not recommended for somebody getting back in the swing of things. There are some ways to make it easier, but it turns into a mess almost every time. France isn't that hard to understand, the basic gist is:

1) Don't touch any of the surrounding nations, Germany will gently caress your poo poo up. You don't need to, anyway. The first war you start should be against Germany.
2) Unless things go REALLY wrong, you're in control of when the war against Germany starts. There are a few situations that just ask you "war or not", and the last is a decision you can fire at any time.

Beyond that, just build up your forces and eventually attack Germany when you feel ready.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Pikestaff posted:

Uh, oops.

Believable Worlds is fantastic, by the way.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

TheMcD posted:

Playing in the second American civil war is a clusterfuck and probably not recommended for somebody getting back in the swing of things. There are some ways to make it easier, but it turns into a mess almost every time. France isn't that hard to understand, the basic gist is:

1) Don't touch any of the surrounding nations, Germany will gently caress your poo poo up. You don't need to, anyway. The first war you start should be against Germany.
2) Unless things go REALLY wrong, you're in control of when the war against Germany starts. There are a few situations that just ask you "war or not", and the last is a decision you can fire at any time.

Beyond that, just build up your forces and eventually attack Germany when you feel ready.

Thanks! Another question: how do I get nations to like me or be on my side? For instance as I was trying this USA civil war business I switched to the pacific states and moved as left and planned as possible but the Syndicate states hate me, -125 relations. Influence nation has 0% chance and they refuse to trade with me. In EU4 I can park a diplomat and "improve relations". How do I forge friendships or is everything basically scripted?

Also a weird technical issue, no matter which way I scroll my mouse wheel the map zooms out and lists scroll down. Is the game just too old ? Also is there any way to make the controls better? ie space = pause.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Baronjutter posted:

Thanks! Another question: how do I get nations to like me or be on my side? For instance as I was trying this USA civil war business I switched to the pacific states and moved as left and planned as possible but the Syndicate states hate me, -125 relations. Influence nation has 0% chance and they refuse to trade with me. In EU4 I can park a diplomat and "improve relations". How do I forge friendships or is everything basically scripted?

Also a weird technical issue, no matter which way I scroll my mouse wheel the map zooms out and lists scroll down. Is the game just too old ? Also is there any way to make the controls better? ie space = pause.

There's a lot of hardcoding when it comes to who likes who and who will ally with who - actually quite similar to vanilla DH. As the Pacific States, your alliances are event-driven (Japan, Entente, and somebody else I think, maybe Germany?), and it's basically assumed that the Syndicates will eventually attack you. As such, forging friendships is practically useless unless you're already very close ideologically to begin with (for instance, France can bring nations like the Indian Commune and Centroamerica into their alliance if they try REALLY hard), but if you want to boost relations, Influence Nation is your best bet. Even if it's at 0%, it will raise relations by 5. Tedious, but possible.

The mouse wheel thing is probably an engine limitation, since it's on the Europa engine (AKA the "old" engine). You can change space to be pause, but 1) I can't remember how, it involves editing some config file but that's all I know and 2) it fucks with renaming of stuff since you can no longer use space for its actual intended use - again, engine limitations.

• Locked thread