Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I can't believe that no Canadian channels have jumped on the AppleTV live watch bandwagon.

Actually wait, the opposite of that.

I can and do believe it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Anyone had a "Netflix is currently unavailable. Please Try again Later" message come up for Netflix on their ATV 3 with PlexConnect running?

History: I have had Netflix and Plexconnect working in Harmony for year(s?). A few months ago Netflix got in that loop on my ATV where it wouldn't let me sign out of my iCloud account (not my previously used Netflix account) and the only way to kill that was to RESET the ATV.

I did that, set up Plexconnect, Certificates, DNS, etc... everything worked.

Last night (or about 24 hours ago I guess) I started getting"Netflix is currently unavailable. Please Try again Later" .

I reset. Before setting anything up, checked Netflix. It worked.

Did my usual Plexconnect, Certificates, DNS thing... now back to "Netflix is currently unavailable. Please Try again Later" .

Weird, because they have worked harmoniously for years.

Anyone else have this happen or know what has changed/is up?

[Edit] no idea what the recent problem was, but figured out a solution in altering the settings.cfg (for plexconnect) to a specific DNS for Netflix.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Aug 28, 2015

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!

Thwomp posted:

It's Buzzfeed and I'll really fully believe it when I see it but latest report has Apple pushing ahead with a September debut of new AppleTV hardware. The Apple branded TV streaming subscription service will apparently wait until all the deals are signed. All the hardware details are reconfirmed: A8 processor, onboard storage, new remote with a touchpad, Siri support, and an App store/SDK.

Looks like Sept 9th is the date: http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/08/27/apple-sends-invitations-for-sept-9-iphone-6s-and-apple-tv-event-hey-siri-give-us-a-hint

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Hopefully we are FINALLY getting an update.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Vintimus Prime posted:

lol

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

Vintimus Prime posted:

We should never lose faith :)

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Kenderama posted:

We should never lose faith :)

By all accounts, they had something to show at WWDC in June but it was pulled because A) the hardware didn't meet a final quality pass and was pulled for further refinement, B) Apple couldn't close some content deals and wanted more negotiating time, or C) both.

Given the tag line of the September event is "Hey Siri, give me a hint" (probably mostly alluding to iOS9's expanded Siri feature set), showing off new AppleTV hardware that also has Siri support would be a nice fit.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I know that companies have had Apple TV SDKs for some months now, but I think only got them right before WWDC.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I fully expect a Siri thing that works like the Amazon Echo.

And maybe use HDMI to let you turn on the TV via Siri.

A little doubtful about the rumored touch remote.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm gonna buy it whatever it is. The ATV3 is super long in the tooth and it's kind of sad Amazon can put out a much better performing stick for half the price.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
If the iPhone can listen for "hey Siri" whenever plugged in, I see no reason a new ATV wouldn't have that be a feature for sure...

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

I hope it can sync up to a blaster to turn on my surround sound receiver. Kinda doubt that will happen but would be cool.

At least the rumors of them making a full on television have all but ceased

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
An IR blaster doesn't seem Apple's style. CEC would be nice, though.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

MickRaider posted:

I hope it can sync up to a blaster to turn on my surround sound receiver. Kinda doubt that will happen but would be cool.

My TV can turn on my receiver via HDMI, so there's no real reason the Apple TV can't do it.

I doubt I will be able to have the Apple TV turn on the receiver and set the right input and turn on my TV though.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Yeah I'm using my receiver as a middleman. I use a logitech link to turn everything on. I do do optical out to use my the samsung SmartTV app (plex)

I should look and see if my receiver can CEC control my TV.

Though I'd still need to use my link to switch between inputs like my cable box, xbox 360, and ps3 (lol last gen).

Would be nice for the ATV to handle that, but that's more fanciful than something I think would happen.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Feenix posted:

If the iPhone can listen for "hey Siri" whenever plugged in, I see no reason a new ATV wouldn't have that be a feature for sure...

Please no.

The amount of times that's triggered for me in the car from someone on a podcast saying something awfully different is very poor.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

smackfu posted:

I fully expect a Siri thing that works like the Amazon Echo.

That would require Siri to actually listen for its name correctly. I've encountered 0 mistakes with Alexa.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Super Dude posted:

That would require Siri to actually listen for its name correctly. I've encountered 0 mistakes with Alexa.

I've had Alexa pop up a time or two from my TV. I've also had Hey Siri do it so :shrug:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Anecdotally, a streetcar outside my apartment honked its horn a few nights ago and that somehow triggered "hey siri" so I have no idea..

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Are you serious?

Yup, it seriously sucks

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That aside, I use my AppleTV so much that I'll probably make the new one a day-one purchase.

CEC would be amazing. "Hey Siri, turn on my TV and let's watch the Jays game"

Really excited about the appstore, butI'm expecting that the functionality would be limited though. I'd love for Sonos to write some kind of AppleTV-based Siri controller but somehow I doubt that'll happen any time soon.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Aug 30, 2015

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

SKY COQ posted:

Please no.

The amount of times that's triggered for me in the car from someone on a podcast saying something awfully different is very poor.
Turn it off doofus.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Martytoof posted:

That aside, I use my AppleTV so much that I'll probably make the new one a day-one purchase.

CEC would be amazing. "Hey Siri, turn on my TV and let's watch the Jays game"

Really excited about the appstore, butI'm expecting that the functionality would be limited though. I'd love for Sonos to write some kind of AppleTV-based Siri controller but somehow I doubt that'll happen any time soon.

Well looks like you'll need $150 or $200. Yeah, it's 9to5mac so I guess we'll see in a week.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Had 2 back to back power outages in Seattle. Upon repowering, my ATV3 (connecting to PlexConnect) isn't connecting to the Wifi it ALWAYS connects to. I tried retyping it in. Tried cycling hardware. Router. Modem.

Checked, my Mac's IP that the ATV3 points to for PlexConnect has not changed either. Any other ideas? :\

[Ed] took 2 resets but i fixed it. 😌

Feenix fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Aug 31, 2015

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Thwomp posted:

Well looks like you'll need $150 or $200. Yeah, it's 9to5mac so I guess we'll see in a week.

Love the "rough mockup"

MS paint -> scale -> 150%.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
If it really does all the poo poo that's rumored, $200 isn't bad. If it's just an upgraded ATV3 with Siri and a new app for a streaming service, then $99 is right.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
With the abundance of sub $100 TV sticks available now they'd be nuts to charge $200.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

e.pilot posted:

With the abundance of sub $100 TV sticks available now they'd be nuts to charge $200.

When did everyone forget that Apple devices have their own price points and people will buy them anyway?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

e.pilot posted:

The Fire TV (probably the closest analogue to an AppleTV with app store and siri) was only $99 at launch. Then again, all the apps and stuff were just access to the Amazon mobile app store instead of a dedicated app store of its own (i believe).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There isn't a dedicated Fire TV app store that I'm aware of, but I'm fairly certain if you search for apps on it, it'll only bring up ones usable on it.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Endless Mike posted:

There isn't a dedicated Fire TV app store that I'm aware of, but I'm fairly certain if you search for apps on it, it'll only bring up ones usable on it.

You can side load almost any Android app onto it. Also the nexus player is closer to the new Apple TV since it's plugged directly into the Play Store. It also has Chromecast support.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
I'm an Apple whore but my ATV just gathers dust because the FireTV is so much better in almost every way, especially if you have Prime. Gonna have to be something really loving impressive to get me to switch back.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

I'm an Apple whore but my ATV just gathers dust because the FireTV is so much better in almost every way, especially if you have Prime. Gonna have to be something really loving impressive to get me to switch back.

What do you do to replace Airplay?

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

African AIDS cum posted:

What do you do to replace Airplay?

I legitimately don't use it that much, but it is probably the only reason I keep the ATV around just in case I do need it for something. I think the last time I Airplayed something was the Tour de France, before that I couldn't tell you.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'd love to seriously try other TV devices, but so much iTunes content...

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm holding out hope for an ATV plex app. That's like 90% of my use right there.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Subjunctive posted:

I'd love to seriously try other TV devices, but so much iTunes content...

Nothing is stopping you from using more than one. I use an apple TV and an amazon fire stick. Different inputs on the same TV.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Suqit posted:

Nothing is stopping you from using more than one. I use an apple TV and an amazon fire stick. Different inputs on the same TV.

Yeah, it's just annoying to remember what's where. I have a Chromecast somewhere, I'll dig it out and try it again. Needing to use a phone for it was sort of annoying.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Plex NFL Sunday Ticket, and Amazon apps would be great. That would finally relegate the XBone to just a video game device and I'd have all of my video stuff on one input.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
I haven't really figured out a "use case" for my fire stick and the interface lag is kinda annoying

• Locked thread