Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

I was driving home on the road I live one, Which is a narrow curvy two lane road without any white lines on the side. It's hardly a two lane road because you always have to dodge cars on it. But anyways I was going down a hill and there was a lady behind me. She crosses over the line and passes me. I slow up and she losses control of the car, flies across the road hits a bank, goes up into the air and spins facing me.

Luckily no one was hurt, Worse part was she had two little kids in the car with her. Like what the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
If the kids are okay, smile, give a thumbs up, pop a Mentos and keep driving

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Trigger warning: music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7MKIk3sSjM&t=13s

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

What a loving moron, deserved that accident. Lucky he didn't kill the road construction workers

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

He's also lucky that they had a water barrier out instead of plain old concrete.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

If the timestamp is accurate, this crash hasn't happened yet :tinfoil:

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

DEAR RICHARD posted:

If the timestamp is accurate, this crash hasn't happened yet :tinfoil:
It's metric time, like they use in europe

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I guess my sister's father in law crashed his newly bought Harley and rashed up his entire side last week. He hadn't owned a bike in 20-30 years, was riding home with no gear after "having a couple", and wrecked going around a corner in a low speed residential area. Good job, bro!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
harley_owners.txt

Numbuh 212
Feb 19, 2013

Last week I was sitting in the leftmost lane at a light on one side of the highway, waiting to cross under and turn left onto the frontage road, when a little old lady went straight through the left turn only lane coming towards us. She came right up onto the raised median between me and the oncoming traffic and scraped across it until she bumped back down onto the road when the median ended. The whole underside of her car was torn up - there was fluid spilling everywhere. I couldn't even believe what I was seeing.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I just got off the metro coming out of D.C. When I had parked someone had just left so I had the closest possible spot aside from 4 handicapped spots, and as I was leaving an older guy was getting into his car in a handicapped spot a couple car down. I waited a second after I started the car, thinking if he was backing out I'd wait so we weren't doing it simultaneously, but he wasn't going yet so I headed out. Two exits where the gate lifts after paying and I take the right, he's obviously rushing now because he's almost caught up to the left one, but right after the gate I have to make a left turn at the light so seeing he's in a hurry I give him time to go by so I can merge after him, even though the light is red so what the hell is his hurry? Well he gets up to the light, stops as one does at a red light, then proceeds to make the left turn. Maybe his handicap is that all light sources look like they're blinking?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

waffle iron posted:

Is traffic enforcement a different division from uniformed police? In most US states the enforcement is done by a mix of state and local police. Although there are a couple states like Vermont where the Department of Motor Vehicles has their own traffic enforcement that is outside the state police. But you still see both running speed radar on the highway.

In Sweden it's just one of the many jobs the poorly run police as a whole do and they hate it, old and young speak of how boring it is and how it's sometimes put on them as if punishment. People have taken to setting up speed-radar/laser dummy figures to deter speeders, it does a better job than the police themselves and if they do set up a mobile speeding camera they have to put signs up indicating that it's set up, that sign is visible the moment it gets into your line of sight (personal record is 500 yards). Whenever it is up on the road outside no vehicles can be heard, it's like I'm living in a forest far away from civilization. The moment it goes away it's LeMons for background sound again.

Now if someone does get nailed for a traffic violation in Sweden.. the only time our law system goes by the book is when drugs are involved. Growing your own stash of weed for personal use not harming anybody because medication doesn't work and you're crippled, they want you behind bars for the rest of your life (happened days ago). Drive drunk, roadrage, ruin peoples lives, "I need to car or I won't be able to get the work", court takes nannystate-sympathy and lets the rear end in a top hat keep license and car (happens several times a year).

They've caught speeders, found drugs that not weed or coke in their car, and let them go with a fine because that's how dysfunctional things are. The Swedish judicial system is written in COBOL I easily rant about Sweden and need to get out of the country ASAP.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

UK mobile speed cameras just park up in vans marked 'POLICE' and are supposed to have signs down the road stating there's a mobile speed camera there. Often though there's no signs up the road and the people in the vans aren't even police! It's all very shady.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

On my way home from work the other day I'm headed south on church street here and the guy in front of me does not have his blinkers on and blasts over the tracks shown in the picture above. I have no indication that he's about to stop or turn left but as soon as he gets where the arrow is pointing in the picture he slams on his brakes, and turns on his left blinker to turn left into the commuter rail train station parking lot. This leaves me stopped on the tracks while he waits for traffic so he can turn left. I couldn't back up because the guy behind me also had no warning that he, and thus I, was going to slam on my brakes directly on the track crossing.

The problem is three-fold. One, the dude should have had his blinker on way before he crossed the tracks so people behind him would know he was gonna hold poo poo up and not to follow him across the tracks so they won't be stopped on the tracks. two, the road is really narrow at this spot and there's no way to inch past a guy turning left. three: the entrance to the train station parking lot shouldn't be one car length from the tracks. If it were further back people would see the traffic already stopped or slowing before they cross the tracks so they can choose not to cross the tracks.

I mostly blame the driver though. That's what loving blinkers are for.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Aug 28, 2015

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
I think you're also underestimating how much people understand that trains can't stop and will smash the gently caress out of anything on the tracks.

This is on my way home. I head east on 151st, and take a left at a stop sign to head up Kenneth, crossing that set of railroad tracks twice.

This can get fairly backed up later in the day and it always amazes me how many people actually stop on the tracks.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Being around trains seems to active some kind of retardation switch in most people's brains. Last winter, there was a day where three separate cars ran into C-Trains in three separate incidents.

It's a train. It runs on tracks. It can't sneak up on you or surprise you with its presence. Goddamn.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

Pro strat: Drunk drive down 17th St NW next to the White House, see if the Secret Service pull you over.

The field sobriety test is being administered on the right. She failed it spectacularly. It also looks like she backed into something previous to this; passenger rear was dented a bit.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That dude on the right has one hell of a swagger.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Honestly I thought he was the one submitting to the sobriety test for a second there.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

xzzy posted:

That dude on the right has one hell of a swagger.

Why wouldn't he

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

mobby_6kl posted:

Why wouldn't he

I was thinking Sam Waterston but he's way too cool for pleated pants.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

xergm posted:

I think you're also underestimating how much people understand that trains can't stop and will smash the gently caress out of anything on the tracks.

This is on my way home. I head east on 151st, and take a left at a stop sign to head up Kenneth, crossing that set of railroad tracks twice.

This can get fairly backed up later in the day and it always amazes me how many people actually stop on the tracks.

Same over here, the level crossing near Smit Transfomatoren is notorious for this kind of thing.

People just roll into the crossing with no regard for the fact that those tracks have at most 5 minutes between trains going in the same direction, between trains in opposing directions there is generally as little as 2 minutes.

Freight trains will proceed through that crossing at 80kph, local trains can still be going 60 as it's right between two stations, however the intercity can still be doing as much as 130kph.

People are just too loving stupid to have a notion of the forces involved in a potential crash.
A double-decker intercity weighs in at 240-320 metric tonnes, depending on whether it's a 3 or 4 car EMU. Never mind that most intercities on that route will be split at Arnhem, so they are 12 or 16 cars long. 80 tonnes per car. Doing up to 130kph.

And still drivers stop on the tracks, still bicyclists and pedestrians ignore the lights, bells, and barriers.

Stopping on railroad tracks does carry instant pedestrianification as punishment. If a cop catches you, they will take your license there and then.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Vorkosigan posted:

Pro strat: Drunk drive down 17th St NW next to the White House, see if the Secret Service pull you over.

The field sobriety test is being administered on the right. She failed it spectacularly. It also looks like she backed into something previous to this; passenger rear was dented a bit.

Oh I didn't know the Secret Service actually took drunk driving seriously.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
From what my friend told me, they look for reasons to pull cars over in front of the white house. No idea how true it is tough.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I'm sure if i got stuck on "driving a taurus in DC" duty instead of "getting drunk and banging hookers in colombia", i'm pretty sure i would take it out on whoever and whatever i could as well.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer

Powershift posted:

I'm sure if i got stuck on "driving a taurus in DC" duty instead of "getting drunk and banging hookers in colombia", i'm pretty sure i would take it out on whoever and whatever i could as well.

I don't know many of the "SS Police" but every one of the actual-no-poo poo-Secret-Service Agents I've worked with are sharp as a tack, too. I imagine getting assigned to DD+DV (Drunk Driving + Domestic Violence) duty wears on them a little more than the average Joe Sherriff. Just my experience, but I didn't know anyone on the SS 'Police' detail.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

I know so many VW scenesters and they all like to do dumb poo poo like run no front plate, or run it in the screen. Then they get stopped and want to argue with police over the technicalities of it. Even though the law is that it must be displayed on the front they argue that tractors and Land Rovers with winches run it above the windscreen. (Even though that's the only suitable place for those vehicles.)

I was actually driving the other day and a Golf overtook me, as it went over a bump its rear plate fell off. I think i have that on the dashcam.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I was going to go visit a friend, and I'm driving on the interstate, when I get blown by a G-Wagon (Of which I've seen about two in my life at this point) that literally squeals it's tires, nearly mashes a poor classic Mustang, then jerks away and nearly runs themselves under a tractor trailer.

I mused a few days ago about how much I loathe luxury SUV drivers, but ugh.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Watched an rear end in a top hat in a brand-new Suburban nearly lose it cutting across a lane of traffic just to get to an exit at the last moment, then ride the shoulder to pass the car he nearly hit, bringing him close to the concrete barrier on his right.

When it happened, all I thought was how he nearly came close to loving up my dinner plans by almost getting into an accident.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I have something of a love hate relationship with rural roads in south east England and the people who use them. If you like twisty turny roads that are tight enough that 40mph feels like 80mph, they're terrific. Sometimes they really are narrow though.

Sometimes you have to really squeeze over to try and pass massive agricultural vehicles.

Sometimes you get stuck behind cyclists for ages, and there is simply no room to safely pass them.

Sometimes you get stuck behind cyclists because they are loving idiots who don't make it easy for you to safely pass them.

Sometimes potential death is only a foot or so to your right.

This is heaven compared to London.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
There are tons of those ridiculous farm tracks branching off the A272 and A32 and they're so much fun.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
English roads make an Audi A4 wagon feel like a loving Hummer H1.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Mooseykins posted:

I know so many VW scenesters and they all like to do dumb poo poo like run no front plate, or run it in the screen. Then they get stopped and want to argue with police over the technicalities of it. Even though the law is that it must be displayed on the front they argue that tractors and Land Rovers with winches run it above the windscreen. (Even though that's the only suitable place for those vehicles.)

I was actually driving the other day and a Golf overtook me, as it went over a bump its rear plate fell off. I think i have that on the dashcam.

This guy was asking about no plates at all. The excuses he thought up were things like "I just had it resprayed" or keeping the plate in the passenger seat with stripped bolts on it.

His reason? He's "had some trouble with yellow lights before" and doesn't want it to happen again.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

atomicthumbs posted:

This guy was asking about no plates at all. The excuses he thought up were things like "I just had it resprayed" or keeping the plate in the passenger seat with stripped bolts on it.

His reason? He's "had some trouble with yellow lights before" and doesn't want it to happen again.

I read that as "I'm insufferable and want help to continue breaking the law while driving like poo poo"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Is there anywhere that has actual yellow light cameras? Around here, they're all red-light cameras, since it's legal to proceed on a yellow signal if you're unable to safely stop before entering the intersection (and obviously a camera cannot exercise judgement as to whether it was safe to stop in the same way a police officer could). The dude must have been blowing red lights repeatedly or something.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

PT6A posted:

Is there anywhere that has actual yellow light cameras? Around here, they're all red-light cameras, since it's legal to proceed on a yellow signal if you're unable to safely stop before entering the intersection (and obviously a camera cannot exercise judgement as to whether it was safe to stop in the same way a police officer could). The dude must have been blowing red lights repeatedly or something.
No, there's no such thing (in california, at least, where he asked the question) as yellow light cameras.

The bold part is correct - he wants to run red lights.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

EightBit posted:

I read that as "I'm insufferable and want help to continue breaking the law while driving like poo poo"

http://thenextweb.com/apple/2011/10/27/mystery-solved-why-steve-jobs-car-never-had-a-license-plate/

quote:

Steve (or someone close to him) spotted a loophole in the California vehicle laws. Anyone with a brand new car had a maximum of six months to affix the issued number plate to the vehicle.

So Jobs made an arrangement with the leasing company; he would always change cars during the sixth month of the lease, exchanging one silver Mercedes SL55 AMG for another identical one. At no time would he ever be in a car as old as six months; and thus there was no legal requirement to have the number plates fitted.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Krakkles posted:

The bold part is correct - he wants to run red lights.

Hopefully he does so when a semi-trailer is coming on the cross-street and he can be relieved of his miserable existence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Oh to be rich and completely unconcerned with using your money to help humanity.
Burn in hell steve.
Woz, you're cool. Keep on rockin the z car.