Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tsa
Feb 3, 2014
It's really disgusting how people here will instantly turn on any minority that dares disagree with what white liberals think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

Blue Raider posted:

if someone was burglarizing my home in the middle of the night, id kill them motherfucking dead. and youre a retard if you wouldnt

Statistics say you would have already shot yourself before the burglar even got there.

Sorry man. :(

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

raven4267 posted:

gently caress you I am black you racist piece of poo poo. Why don't you try debating my points instead of posting racist quips.
You do realize the republicans don't want you to have a gun.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Doccers posted:

Also the "44 times more likely" mythos Kellerman study is pretty thoroughly trashed, it didn't help that he refused to release his data for years, then when he finally did he got destroyed for his methodology (Rival gang members knew each other, therefore, aquaintance/loved one), so I'm not particularly convinced by that either.
That's cute. Now tell me where I mentioned Kellerman.

Now, questions: after wannabe sex-haver Elliot Rodgers had his 5 minutes of Internet fame (still without sex, tho), California apparently introduced some gun restraining order type of legislation. It seems to me like exactly the type of a law that would have worked also in Vester Flanagan's case, no? Also, in the Pokemon WorldCon case, thanks to MA laws, the wannabe shooters were charged with unlawful possession of firearms and unlawful possession of ammunition, so isn't this also case of gun laws, in a sense, working?

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

crabcakes66 posted:

This is funny because any time a legitimate point is brought up by either side it's met with ad hominem attacks red herrings and strawman arguments.

You give a little, you get a little.

Who What Now posted:

Lock my bedroom door, announce where I am and that I am calling the police

You realize you're still 100% at the mercy of the guy(s) in your home. If he wants to break down that door and ensure no witnesses, you have no recourse whatsoever. This exact same scenario works a thousand times better with you pointing a gun at your bedroom door. You don't even need to leave the room.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

crabcakes66 posted:

Statistics say you would have already shot yourself before the burglar even got there.

Statistics don't apply directly to individuals. People here really need to learn some basics on statistics before they spout off and look dumb.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Popular Thug Drink posted:

sane people don't have plans to deal with an extremely rare event like home invasion. what's your plan for when you get mugged by a leprechaun? (it's to shoot the nearest minority with a gun)

This isn't a good argument, because the logic goes hey, what's the harm in having a means to deal with it if it does happen? The better point to be made, not that it would ever get through their heads, is that it isn't just about them. The existence of poorly regulated firearms causes and exacerbates more violent crimes than there are home invasions prevented by firearms. So yes, for you personally it's probably better, but for society it's worse.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

meristem posted:

That's cute. Now tell me where I mentioned Kellerman.

Now, questions: after wannabe sex-haver Elliot Rodgers had his 5 minutes of Internet fame (still without sex, tho), California apparently introduced some gun restraining order type of legislation. It seems to me like exactly the type of a law that would have worked also in Vester Flanagan's case, no? Also, in the Pokemon WorldCon case, thanks to MA laws, the wannabe shooters were charged with unlawful possession of firearms and unlawful possession of ammunition, so isn't this also case of gun laws, in a sense, working?

Gun nuts are in favor of death though, so this is a classical case of something falling on deaf ears.

raven4267
May 7, 2009

so you're saying that your home was invaded and your gun didn't protect you? what a shocker. i, myself, am incredibly suprised at this turn of events
I have been the victim of 2 home invasions in my life. First one I was not home, and I didn't even own a gun then anyways. Guns are inanimate objects so I am not sure how they would protect my house without me being there anyways. I also did not have a family to worry about. The second time, somebody broke out a window on my door and was trying to unlock it to get inside. Lets just say they turned around and left very quickly, and I didn't even have to shoot them. So my gun did protect my family in this instance.

yeah i'm part of the vast majority of americans who has never fantasized about the precise sequence of events necessary to legally murder a stranger

No, you are part of the population who doesn't have to worry about violent crimes being committed against them on a daily basis.

Anyways, I can see that this is a pointless debate. Apparently anything I say about my personal experiences is just going to get me accused of being a liar or a sociopathic murderer.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Blue Raider posted:

if someone was burglarizing my home in the middle of the night, id kill them motherfucking dead. and youre a retard if you wouldnt

ok lenny calm down

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

crabcakes66 posted:

good thing statistics are products of unconnected autists published by organizations i dont give a poo poo about

tsa
Feb 3, 2014
It's like the equivalent of internet libertarians trying to use econ 101 to prove their points.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

raven4267 posted:

I have been the victim of 2 home invasions in my life. First one I was not home, and I didn't even own a gun then anyways. Guns are inanimate objects so I am not sure how they would protect my house without me being there anyways. I also did not have a family to worry about. The second time, somebody broke out a window on my door and was trying to unlock it to get inside. Lets just say they turned around and left very quickly, and I didn't even have to shoot them. So my gun did protect my family in this instance.

hm good job waving a gun at the fedex guy

raven4267 posted:

No, you are part of the population who doesn't have to worry about violent crimes being committed against them on a daily basis.

this is true, i'm a pretty centered person with no traces of paranoia

e: i'm also not a woman whose spouse insists on owning a gun, who are victimized at much higher rates

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Blue Raider posted:

good thing statistics are products of unconnected autists published by organizations i dont give a poo poo about

Well, when you end up swallowing your 45, at least you'll still be better than the fag nerds with their math, right?

raven4267
May 7, 2009

I don't even know if you are serious or not anymore. Should people who live in high crime areas not be worried about crimes being committed against them or something?

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Effectronica posted:

Well, when you end up swallowing your 45, at least you'll still be better than the fag nerds with their math, right?

ya

raven4267
May 7, 2009

e: i'm also not a woman whose spouse insists on owning a gun, who are victimized at much higher rates

So now I abuse my spouse also? I am a liar, a murderer, a psychopath, a sociopath, and a spouse abuser because I own a gun?

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

Blue Raider posted:

Statistically I already shot myself and we are not even having this conversation.

raven4267
May 7, 2009

My wife has her own gun, so does she abuse me also?

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

raven4267 posted:

Quick reminder that all polling indicates that city residents, black people, gays and women, generally speaking all groups at higher risk of being victimized by crime, all support gun control at higher rates than the rural/suburban white dude demographic tough guy cosplayers seem to universally hail from

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

raven4267 posted:

So now I abuse my spouse also? I am a liar, a murderer, a psychopath, a sociopath, and a spouse abuser because I own a gun?

man you really put the defensive in self defense

no really though epidemiologically just by owning a gun you're statistically more dangerous to your spouse than a stranger is

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

raven4267 posted:

Who owns a gun.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

raven4267 posted:

I don't even know if you are serious or not anymore. Should people who live in high crime areas not be worried about crimes being committed against them or something?

Well, unfortunately, math is for women and homosexuals, so I can't demonstrate the rationality of your fear.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

raven4267 posted:

Don't get dragged down to their level dude.

They're literal idiots just wanting to circle jerk and punch strawmen.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

various cheeses posted:

You give a little, you get a little.

You realize you're still 100% at the mercy of the guy(s) in your home. If he wants to break down that door and ensure no witnesses, you have no recourse whatsoever. This exact same scenario works a thousand times better with you pointing a gun at your bedroom door. You don't even need to leave the room.

You realize if someone is intent on killing you they aren't going to be crashing through your house announcing themselves, and you're going to die without ever having a moment to go for your gun, which they probably also stole.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

crabcakes66 posted:

Statistically I already shot myself and we are not even having this conversation.

statistically i died in the late 90s

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
I hope that smarmy little turd tsa explains to raven4647 how he's misunderstanding statistics, else he'd be a hypocrite, lower than even a criminal.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Who What Now posted:

You realize if someone is intent on killing you they aren't going to be crashing through your house announcing themselves, and you're going to die without ever having a moment to go for your gun, which they probably also stole.

So in your mind it's "nothing I can do, oh well" or "criminal calmly withdraws after I announce the cops are on the way"?

Paint me the scenario you're envisioning here, where you die instantly without any chance to defend yourself.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

raven4267 posted:

My wife has her own gun, so does she abuse me also?

if your spouse abuses you please go talk to the perfidious cops and don't take matters into your own hands and shoot her, as so many gun owners do

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

various cheeses posted:

Pot. Kettle.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

various cheeses posted:

So in your mind it's "nothing I can do, oh well" or "criminal calmly withdraws after I announce the cops are on the way"?

Paint me the scenario you're envisioning here, where you die instantly without any chance to defend yourself.

well as long as we're talking about extremely unlikely fantasy scenarios i think in a home invasion the best defense is *rolls dice* iron man on speed dial

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Who What Now posted:

I think we can all agree that if you've pissed off Sam Fischer you had it coming.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

various cheeses posted:

Don't get dragged down to their level dude.

As opposed to circle jerking and shooting strawmen

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

various cheeses posted:

I need my firearms for self defense. That's why I own over a dozen of them and practice shooting them at ranges no civilian has ever needed to shoot in self defense.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

well as long as we're talking about extremely unlikely fantasy scenarios i think in a home invasion the best defense is *rolls dice* iron man on speed dial

So it's safe to not have any kind of plan, because "it can never happen to me".

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

various cheeses posted:

congratulations, you've unlocked a new word: 'unlikely'. use it often, and well

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

various cheeses posted:

What's your plan for superflu?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

various cheeses posted:

How about having a better plan?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

DeusExMachinima posted:

I think we can all agree that if you've pissed off Sam Fischer you had it coming.

Pissing off Sam Fischer is about as likely as a petty thief willing to kill an entire family because "no witnesses", so I thought it was an apt comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i mean it's far more likely that a gun owner will defend themselves against creeping thoughts of worthlessness and the stark realities of a wasted life but you can think of this as a scary black man if that's what tickles you

• Locked thread