Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Benne posted:

Soooooo Illinois fired Tim Beckman literally a week before the season, with zero time to find a suitable replacement

Keep being you, Illinois

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahaha no way

E: They're saying it's from preliminary reports on that investigation into him telling kids to play while concussed and poo poo.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Aug 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
:laffo: whose daughter did he sleep with

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
lol what the gently caress how is this even possible

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Benne posted:

Soooooo Illinois fired Tim Beckman literally a week before the season, with zero time to find a suitable replacement

Keep being you, Illinois

Wait, what scandal did I miss?

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Grittybeard posted:

Wait, what scandal did I miss?
I'm not aware of any.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Benne posted:

Keep being you, Illinois

Go ahead, Illinois. He's on the way already....

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
Hahaha his Twitter account just posted a One Week! graphic 50 minutes ago and the responses are hilarious.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

The press release is citing "preliminary results of an external review into allegations involving the program," which were mostly related to player health. I don't know, those sounded kind of BS-ey to me.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Turns out he eats pizza with a fork and knife

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I thought he was under some scrutiny for... mistreating players or something?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

gvibes posted:

The press release is citing "preliminary results of an external review into allegations involving the program," which were mostly related to player health. I don't know, those sounded kind of BS-ey to me.

He was telling kids to play concussed if memory serves. There were rumors of similar stuff when he was at Toledo but nothing stuck.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

DJExile posted:

He was telling kids to play concussed if memory serves. There were rumors of similar stuff when he was at Toledo but nothing stuck.
He loving bragged about getting a 14 on the ACT so being an idiot wouldn't surprise me.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

And it looks like he's not eligible for his buyout. This report must be damning.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

The timing is weird and I feel bad for the kids. Basically their season has been flushed down the terlet.

Of course, their risk of turning into Schiavo has decreased significantly, so that's good.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Brett McMurphy
‏@McMurphyESPN

Illinois found Tim Beckman deterred injury reporting & influenced players to avoid or postpone medical treatment & continue playing

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Race to the bottom: Illinois vs Kansas

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

LeeMajors posted:

The timing is weird and I feel bad for the kids. Basically their season has been flushed down the terlet.

It was already swirling the drain the with Beckman coaching them

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Illinois Press Release posted:

Beckman will not receive the $3.1 million remaining on the last two years of his original five-year contract or the $743,000 called for if his contract had been bought out.

Addendum Quote from Acting Chancellor Barb Wilson:
“Our most important responsibility is to protect our students. It is important to complete this review, act quickly on its recommendations and move forward, so we can provide our student-athletes the best experience possible.”

Quote from President Tim Killeen:
“Nothing is more important than the safety of our students. It is a fundamental right that no student or parent should ever question. Whether in the classroom or on the field, the well-being of our students must always be uppermost in our minds and that is a core philosophy that we will reiterate and reiterate across our campuses.”

God drat :stare:

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Benne posted:

Brett McMurphy
‏@McMurphyESPN

Illinois found Tim Beckman deterred injury reporting & influenced players to avoid or postpone medical treatment & continue playing

:stare: dude

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Tim Beckman has probably been concussed this whole time but didn't tell anyone.
http://deadspin.com/tim-beckman-my-man-what-are-you-even-saying-1721152001

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Pakled posted:

Tim Beckman has probably been concussed this whole time but didn't tell anyone.
http://deadspin.com/tim-beckman-my-man-what-are-you-even-saying-1721152001

He tried to do that goofy anagram poo poo at Toledo as well.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
OC Bill Cubit is the interim. If anyone needs a refresher, he was head coach at Western Michigan for several years prior

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
who's going to bolt for that HC job, Muschamp or Kiffin?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Raku posted:

who's going to bolt for that HC job, Muschamp or Kiffin?

I'm not quite sure I'll toxx myself over this--but, barring a miracle season for Al Golden, I'd be surprised if Kiffin isn't in Coral Gables in 2016.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Faulty
Intuition
Ripens
Employment
Disaster

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

LeeMajors posted:

I'm not quite sure I'll toxx myself over this--but, barring a miracle season for Al Golden, I'd be surprised if Kiffin isn't in Coral Gables in 2016.

Yeah I basically have been saying since the Florida game (for Alabama) last year that Miami is going to pull Lane Kiffin to them like a magnet

It just makes too much sense

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Oh I forgot all about this, when the ex-Illini lineman went off on Beckman on twitter. Sounds like he had a legitimate beef.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

LOLLERS ILLINOIS

Remember that time they somehow ended up in a Rose Bowl with Juice Williams only to get obliterated by USC? Fondest memory I can pull together about them.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

LeeMajors posted:

JFC, the talent he'd bring in down there

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

LeeMajors posted:

Yeah, I didn't look very hard--but seriously, GIS for UF-UGA is a minefield of douchebaggery.

I somehow found this

and am just as confused as Muschamp.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Lane Kiffin going from Alabama OC to Illinois HC isn't falling up, as he is prone to do, but going from Alabama OC to Miami HC sure would be.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Well, I guess that I'll start the coaching carousel thread.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Beckman sucked but wow the timing.

siriuslysomething
Feb 5, 2013

He's so fast!

(and probably broken)
I haven't been able to follow this thread for a while, but I just came back for this. As much as I dislike Illinois and love to watch them lose that is some seriously hosed up poo poo. Good riddance to Beckman.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

quote:

East Carolina and South Carolina will continue their non-conference series through 2021, according to an update from FBSchedules.com.

ECU will travel to Columbia, S.C., to take on the Gamecocks in 2016 and 2020, according to the release, while the Pirates will host South Carolina in Greenville, N.C., at Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium in 2019 and 2021.

Jesus Christ why

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Raku posted:

Yeah I basically have been saying since the Florida game (for Alabama) last year that Miami is going to pull Lane Kiffin to them like a magnet

It just makes too much sense
It does but the only catch is remember Miami reupped Golden for a long, long time when it looked like they were about to get hammered by the NCAA? They still owe him for like four years and don't seem like they're swimming in cash or enthusiasm

RumbleFish posted:

Jesus Christ why
Get this from your perspective, why play an in-state mid-major that is occasionally good enough to maybe win especially on even home-and-home terms, but as a third party with nothing at stake it is pretty cool to see a team willing to do this.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

The Notorious ZSB posted:

LOLLERS ILLINOIS

Remember that time they somehow ended up in a Rose Bowl with Juice Williams only to get obliterated by USC? Fondest memory I can pull together about them.

That was almost as good a season as getting crushed by Saban and LSU in the Sugar Bowl, when Illinois won the conference outright , in this century nonetheless!

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
And we have a coaching carousel thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3739008&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post449542327

>_<

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Get this from your perspective, why play an in-state mid-major that is occasionally good enough to maybe win especially on even home-and-home terms, but as a third party with nothing at stake it is pretty cool to see a team willing to do this.

East Carolina is in North Carolina :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Sucks for Illinois but jesus christ you can't ever allow that sort of behavior from a coach. What a dick.

• Locked thread