Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Level Slide posted:

I forgot actual Americans already shown up

Tits are too small. Those are probably Canadians. Dammit, Japan!

This looks exactly like my texan friend, frown, haircut and all. He's Mexican too. I'm going to have to show this to him now.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

If Gundam Maxter wasn't already :perfect: I would be extremely proud to have Tequila Gundam represent my country

It's wearing a loving sombrero

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Ironically I think Hajime no ippo has done a decent job of visually representing Mexican characters.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Fabricated posted:

Ironically I think Hajime no ippo has done a decent job of visually representing Mexican characters.

Yeah, it was actually really funny to me that in the first arc they have the one guy show up in blackface because Ippo is afraid he'll choke up when he fights against the first black guy he's ever seen. It's kinda neat that it was a thing they had to point out since it was japan in the 80's.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Yeah, it was actually really funny to me that in the first arc they have the one guy show up in blackface because Ippo is afraid he'll choke up when he fights against the first black guy he's ever seen. It's kinda neat that it was a thing they had to point out since it was japan in the 80's.
And the guy was actually a super sweet, kind dude who loved his 'foster family' that ran the boxing gym. Kinda :3: for Morikawa considering he's an old fart who ascribes to a lot of standard Japanese stereotypes of foreigners and other races.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Man that was a real great tournament as far as shonen fighting tourneys go. Kinda shocking amount of grotesque mangling going on for a shonen series, too. No bones but man, the repeated close-ups of Deku's mangled, cracked-open and bloodied fingers was cringeworthy. Bakugou being a LITERAL frothing lunatic is fantastic. Urara had an actually badass moment instead of getting immediately chumped, she choked but that just gives her room to improve later. Most of the other fights were interesting too, and the whole Daddy Issues thing was pretty over the top, that dad's no Gendo or anything, but he's definitely a Bad Dad

This naming chapter is pretty much the best, and definitely makes me like Bakugou a lot more with just that one name suggestion

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
You can see bits of bone/sinew in one of the gnarlier panels during the fight. His hand after partial healing and surgery is pretty grotesque and pretty much spot on for what doing that to your hands results in.

Also get in the fcuking robot todoroki

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Aug 26, 2015

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
I do kinda hope that the series does try to introduce a more global side to the superhero community, maybe see how different countries run their systems compared to Japan. After all, the setting's main conceit is that 80% of the entire world now has superpowers, so not exploring that world in some better detail would be a major missed opportunity.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Well, caught up now, I assume 55's the latest? Hero killer is a ninja turtle. And of course, badass midget grandpa.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

papasyhotcakes posted:

yes, I know, it is called a joke.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Astro Nut posted:

I do kinda hope that the series does try to introduce a more global side to the superhero community, maybe see how different countries run their systems compared to Japan. After all, the setting's main conceit is that 80% of the entire world now has superpowers, so not exploring that world in some better detail would be a major missed opportunity.

That's a pretty good point; other than All-Might being the Dr. Manhattan of this setting we don't really know much about the world at large.

Captain Invictus posted:

Well, caught up now, I assume 55's the latest? Hero killer is a ninja turtle. And of course, badass midget grandpa.

55 is the latest one we have translated, yeah. Which reminds me, I wonder where things are going with Stain now; I highly doubt he's getting away, so... I guess he's getting arrested? Seems a bit odd for him to possibly be gone already, but at the same time this manga's pacing is pretty fast so I suppose it shouldn't be surprising.

Also man, Shigaraki's "teacher" is probably going to be pretty unhappy. Stain got beat up by children and arrested while Shigaraki's artificial humans went and wrecked things? He's going to learn exactly the wrong lesson from this. And at least two of the artificial humans have been defeated/killed, so that's a loss.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Wow you really like this gif, are you posting it in every thread you follow or just the few Ive seen?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Level Slide posted:

Momo already fills that aggressively Chinese aesthetic.

Speaking of international heroes, I also hope some actual Americans show up and they think All Might is a little excessive. And they're all Mexican.

I think you mean Momo's Current Partner Kendou. Momo does not really remind me of the Chinese aesthetic, while Kendou does for sure.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

KoB posted:

Wow you really like this gif, are you posting it in every thread you follow or just the few Ive seen?

I post it where it is needed most. I'm the real hero academia

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Astro Nut posted:

I hope Russia is literally exactly like the Stalker videogame except people with superpowers instead of radiation.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Where is this GIF from? AFAIK there's no Persona 3 anime or anything.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

RatHat posted:

Where is this GIF from? AFAIK there's no Persona 3 anime or anything.

They made Persona 3 into a bunch of movies.

3 are out now, with a 4 coming out in the future.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

I think you mean Momo's Current Partner Kendou. Momo does not really remind me of the Chinese aesthetic, while Kendou does for sure.

Yeah that's what I meant. I knew either Momo or someone with Momo wore a cheongsam.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Level Slide posted:

Momo already fills that aggressively Chinese aesthetic.

Speaking of international heroes, I also hope some actual Americans show up and they think All Might is a little excessive. And they're all Mexican.

Given the American comics influence in the series, I half hope that My Hero Academia treats foreign superheroes like US comics do and have every hero be some kind of broad cultural stereotype. I look forward to Buick Man, Eagle Boy and the Religious Right showing up in future arcs.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Level Slide posted:

I forgot actual Americans already shown up

If Gash Bell has taught me anything, those are Italians.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh, it's not caught up with the releases, what's the current chapter in japan?

And this series is good, I'd probably put it at 4th below the other three long running shonen I've read, one piece, fma, and gash bell

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Prison Warden posted:

Given the American comics influence in the series, I half hope that My Hero Academia treats foreign superheroes like US comics do and have every hero be some kind of broad cultural stereotype. I look forward to Buick Man, Eagle Boy and the Religious Right showing up in future arcs.

The Religious Right would be a pretty amazing alternative name for Hellboy.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The current chapter should be coming out any day now. Releases are pretty caught up.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
We got a new best character this chapter.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Fabricated posted:

We got a new best character this chapter.

:( I can only find small parts of pages. I'm so sad at what I saw.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
Chinese raws are out: http://www.mangamint.com/boku-no-hero-academia-56

They really outdid themselves with some of the art on these pages.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

poo poo, that first faux-American comic book cover is worth the price of admission alone. I am continually astonished by Horikoshi's grasp of Western comic books, and his reinterpretations.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

...Scruff McGruff? :stare:

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Bad Seafood posted:

...Scruff McGruff? :stare:
Chicago, Illinois! 60652!

Also, loving hell Stain pulling his knife free.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zero_Tactility posted:

Chicago, Illinois! 60652!

Also, loving hell Stain pulling his knife free.

Oh jeez, I missed that the first time. That's brutal. As is how hosed up Stain is; he's pretty badly burned all over his face where his mask wasn't covering it. Also he really doesn't have a nose, look at that.

I wonder what Shigaraki is going on about as he watches Stain. He seems to be disintegrating his binoculars in rage the second time we see him; I wonder if he's going to learn a lesson from all this after all.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Aug 28, 2015

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Oh my god that realistic dogman.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Like I said, new best character.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
That was AMAZING! Amazing on so many levels!

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

It's up

http://bato.to/read/_/341125/boku-no-hero-academia_ch56_by_fallen-angels

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Iida getting off lighter than I expected.

The chief of police is a cool dude.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
I think if I had to have an anime spirit animal or whatever lame headmate poo poo tumblr thinks is cool, it'd definitely be Shigaraki.

"What the gently caress are you doing?" "I can't even find the words, loving goddamn." "Why won't it all just go how I want?!"

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Why the hell would they need to punish anyone but Iida? Gran Torino would have to throw Midoriya under the bus for it to make sense, and Endeavor LET Todoroki go.

Jesus, just give them credit for beating him. Say Iida got lost in the confusion, have Torino cover for Midoriya, and Todoroki did nothing wrong to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Fabricated posted:

Why the hell would they need to punish anyone but Iida? Gran Torino would have to throw Midoriya under the bus for it to make sense, and Endeavor LET Todoroki go.

Jesus, just give them credit for beating him. Say Iida got lost in the confusion, have Torino cover for Midoriya, and Todoroki did nothing wrong to begin with.

They all deliberately disobeyed their mentor's instructions, as well as injuring the Hero Killer pretty severely (and could have possibly killed him by misusing their powers). Iida ran away to take on Stain by himself without telling his mentor, Midoriya deliberately went hunting for Stain despite Gran Torino telling him to sit down and Icyhot ran away from his Dad instead of helping with the Nomus. (he also burnt the gently caress out of Stain's face)

They all kinda hosed it up. They probably take rogue heroes acting on their own like that really seriously since villains are "allowed" to fight to the death but heroes have to worry about bystanders, hostages, not killing the villain etc.