Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Are you going back to level 1 or doing the level 16 races?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
We pretty much only Iconic TR. 1-20 isn't nearly as fun as 15-28(30). And it gets you two past lives (one iconic, one regular). And you can weave in some epic reincarnations if you want (which we might get and max Colors this life).

Help, what character do I make?

Cpl Clegg
May 18, 2008

Do augments still drop in random chests ? I remember finding them quite a lot when they were introduced but now I didn't see a single one in 5 levels or so.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Yeah they do. I haven't noticed them being anymore rare unless a hotfix hosed it up.

Cpl Clegg
May 18, 2008

Then either temporary Turbine fuckup or my bad luck.

[EDIT] It was bad luck, just looted an augment.

PS: I want to reiterate that warlocks are incredible. The only thing they lack is trapfinding. But then again, it would only slow them down :) Right now it's fun, fast and fun. Also fun. Did I say it's fun ?

Those of you who think about returning should really give warlocks a try.

Cpl Clegg fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 10, 2015

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Help what do I play? Melee edition! Can also be played Two-Handed Fighting but that might be a little weaker later in the game due to lack of spellpower orb offhand. Just swap Single Weapon Fighting for Two-Handed Fighting and raise Heal instead of Balance early on.

During character creation select Melee->Paladin->Customize->Human and use the stats/skills/feats below.
You'll want to make sure you have guild buffs and at least a +1 wisdom item by level 4 so you can cast spells.

pre:
Paladin 20
Lawful Good Human

Stats
               28pt     32pt     Level Up
               ----     ----     --------
Strength        16       16       4: STR
Dexterity        8        8       8: STR
Constitution    14       16      12: STR
Intelligence    10       10      16: STR
Wisdom           8        8      20: STR
Charisma        16       16      24: STR
                                 28: STR

Skills
          1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
         ------------------------------------------------------------
Concent   4  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  23
UMD       2  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½     11
Heal                                       1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1   9
Balance   2  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½                              7
         12  3  3  3  3  3  3  3  3  3  3  3  3  3  3  3  3  3  3  2
         12  3  3  3  3  3  3  3  3  3  3  3  3  3  3  3  3  3  3  3

Feats

1        : Single Weapon Fighting
 1 Human  : Power Attack
 1 Deity  : Follower of: Sovereign Host
 3        : Least Dragonmark: Passage
 6        : Improved Single Weapon Fighting
 6 Deity  : Unyielding Sovereignty
 9        : Improved Critical: Slashing
12        : Greater Single Weapon Fighting
15        : Empower Healing Spell
18        : Quicken Spell
21 Epic   : Overwhelming Critical
24 Epic   : Free slot. Force of Personality (sky high will saves), Toughness (little bit of extra hp), Extend (probably not that useful)
26 Destiny: Perfect Two Weapon Fighting
27 Epic   : Blinding Speed
28 Destiny: Perfect Single Weapon Fighting

Enhancements (80 AP)

Human (3 AP)
  • Damage Boost
    • Improved Recovery
Knight of the Chalice (52 AP)
  • Slayer of Evil, Courage of Heaven, Slayer of Evil II, Improved Courage of Heaven, Slayer of Evil III, Champion of Good
    • Extra Remove Disease III, Extra Smite II
    • Divine Might III, Exalted Cleave III, Melee Power Boost III
    • Improved Restoration III, Divine Sacrifice I, Vigor of Life, Exalted Smite III
    • Censure Demons, Passion I, Vigor of Life, Empowered Smite
    • Censure Outsiders, Holy Retribution III, Vigor of Life, Avenging Cleave III, Sealed Life
Sacred Defender (25 AP)
  • Holy Bastion, Sacred Defense, Divine Righteousness, Redemption
    • Extra Lay On Hands III, Durable Defense III
    • Bulwark Aura III, Resilient Defense III
    • Resistance Aura II, Tenacious Defense III
    • Swift Defense, Strong Defense III

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Aug 13, 2015

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
You should do a bard one. Bards are awesome.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

I'll probably do a bard one soon. I want to do a Wizard and Cleric one first to round it out. Also the Character Builder Lite has been updated, it has a Something Awful option in the export now. As well as support for custom BBCode outputs if you want to mess with it. It comes out looking similar to the ones I've posted.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Played this game a while back... I think before airships were a thing. I have no idea what I'm doing now. Rolled a character using the options they suggested for a fighter, because I wanted to do a plate armor + polearm thing. Guess that's not in the game. Died really quickly on my first mission.

Tried the suggested Paladin build below. It wouldn't even let me create the character for some inexplicable reason.

What the gently caress. Is this the level of sperginess I can expect for the rest of the game? Because if so, not really my cup of tea.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

I made a new account just to double check, and I was able to select Melee-->Paladin->Customize->Human and make the build as above. What was it doing for you to prevent that?

And making a character build can be tough, and the default builds are... okay at best I guess. Which is why I'm finally getting around to making some newbie builds again, so someone can hopefully find a playstyle they like (or a class eventually maybe) and have an easy build to follow for it. And then get deeper into making builds later on if they want.

And no, sadly there are no polearms or spears in the game really. Greatswords, Greataxes, Falchions, Quarterstaves and Mauls are the main two-handed weapons.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

DemonMage posted:

I made a new account just to double check, and I was able to select Melee-->Paladin->Customize->Human and make the build as above. What was it doing for you to prevent that?

And making a character build can be tough, and the default builds are... okay at best I guess. Which is why I'm finally getting around to making some newbie builds again, so someone can hopefully find a playstyle they like (or a class eventually maybe) and have an easy build to follow for it. And then get deeper into making builds later on if they want.

And no, sadly there are no polearms or spears in the game really. Greatswords, Greataxes, Falchions, Quarterstaves and Mauls are the main two-handed weapons.

The "Create" button itself was greyed out.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

A never spent any money Free account only has 2 character slots per server, so if you had your old character and your Fighter, you'd be at the limit of characters and would need to delete one to make something else.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Don't think that's it; my old character seems completely gone (pretty sure it was a rogue) and the fighter came afterwards.

in any event I think I'm going to give it a pass. With no polearms, the itch I'm looking to scratch just isn't there.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Help what do I play? Wizard edition!

A note on spells: You'll get abilities that let you replace some of your spells like Shield, Magic Missile, Chain Missiles. As a wizard you can swap your spells freely at shrines/inns, so you'll probably be switching them around a decent amount until later in the game. The Missile abilities in Archmage are your cheap mana spells to help with damage, otherwise Area of Effect spells are you go to for efficiency. Burning Hands, Scorch, Acid Rain (or Wall of Fire) on groups of enemies is going to be way better than single target spells if you can manage it. Necrotic abilities from Pale Master are another good fall back, because they have a small HP cost and not a mana cost.

Once you get Death Aura, you can toggle on a Shroud form to turn undead which will give you a ton of immunities and Fortification. Death Aura will heal you every couple of seconds, scaling with your Negative spellpower. Zombie isn't really worth using but Vampire and especially Wraith/Lich are. You'll want to be careful of clerics because light spells will do a ton of damage to you. You can try speccing into Cloak of Night if you find a particular quest hard, but it also lowers your ability to heal, so I'm not sure it's worth it.

End game you'll be wearing Medium armor and using a shield for the extra defenses. If you don't feel flimsy you can drop the majority of the Eldritch Knight tree and invest more heavily in Archmage or Harper Agent (if you have it).

pre:
Wizard 20
True Neutral Human

Stats
               28pt     32pt     Level Up
               ----     ----     --------
Strength         8        8       4: INT
Dexterity        8        8       8: INT
Constitution    16       18      12: INT
Intelligence    18       18      16: INT
Wisdom           8        8      20: INT
Charisma        10        8      24: INT
                                 28: INT

Skills
          1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
Concent   4  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  23
Repair                         1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  2  2  2  2  7  23
Spellcr   4  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  23
Perform   2  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½     11
Heal      2  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½     11
Search    2  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½     11
Diplo     2  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½     11
UMD       2  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½     11
         28  7  7  7  7  7  7  8  8  8  8  8  8  8  8  9  9  9  9  9

Feats

1        : Maximize Spell
 1 Human  : Empower Spell
 1 Wizard : Mental Toughness
 3        : Spell Focus: Necromancy
 5 Wizard : Extend Spell
 6        : Greater Spell Focus: Necromancy
 9        : Insightful Reflexes
10 Wizard : Quicken Spell
12        : Spell Penetration
15        : Greater Spell Penetration
15 Wizard : Improved Mental Toughness
18        : Toughness
20 Wizard : Heighten Spell
21 Epic   : Epic Spell Penetration
24 Epic   : Epic Spell Focus: Necromancy
26 Destiny: Epic Spell Power: Negative
27 Epic   : Epic Mental Toughness
28 Destiny: Epic Spell Power: Force

Spells

1. Detect Secret Doors, Burning Hands, Expeditious Retreat, Jump, Protection from Evil
  2. Scorch, Blur, Scorching Ray, Lesser Death Aura, Resist Energy
  3. Acid Blast, Displacement, Rage, Haste, Chain Missiles
  4. Death Aura, Acid Rain, Negative Energy Burst, Dimension Door, Enervation
  5. Cone of Cold, Eladar's Electric Surge, Niac's Biting Cold, Cloudkill, Teleport
  6. Circle of Death, Undeath to Death, Otiluke's Freezing Sphere, Disintegrate, Greater Heroism
  7. Finger of Death, Delayed Blast Fireball, Prismatic Spray, Otto's Sphere of Dancing, Mass Protection from Elements
  8. Black Dragon Bolt, Polar Ray, Sunburst, Otto's Irresistible Dance, Power Word: Stun
  9. Meteor Swarm, Wail of the Banshee, Power Word: Kill, Energy Drain, Mass Hold Monster
Enhancements (80 AP) Pale Master (38 AP)
  • Dark Reaping, Zombie Form, Vampire Form, Wraith Form, Lich Form
    1. Necrotic Touch III, Deathless Vigor III, Spell Critical, Negative Energy Conduit III
    2. Spell Critical, Bone Armor III
    3. Necrotic Bolt III, Spell Critical
    4. Spell Critical
    5. Necrotic Blast III, Necromantic Focus, Improved Shrouding
Eldritch Knight (Wizard) (23 AP)
  • Eldritch Strike, Spellsword: Acid, Spellsword II: Frost, Spellsword III: Shock
    1. Improved Mage Armor III, Item Defense I
    2. Improved Shield III, Shield Training, Light Armor Proficiency
    3. Arcane Barrier III, Elemental Resistance III
    4. Medium Armor Proficiency
Archmage (19 AP)
  • Magic Missile, Gust of Wind, Chain Missile
    1. Traditionalist Caster III, Spell Critical, Wand and Scroll Mastery III
    2. Spell Critical
    3. Spell Penetration III

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Aug 13, 2015

Cpl Clegg
May 18, 2008

Astral shards are on sale, so I dropped some to the guild kobold on the first deck. Hopefully they will be useful for something.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Thanks for that. I put Guild Storage on Floor 1 and took down the Grandmaster Dojo. But that buff should still be provided by our Proving Ground, so it's just a gain. I would have done an experience shrine, but it's hideously expensive to rank up. 95->195->325->400->495 shards per %.

Now we've got guild storage that'll persist even without people bothering to refresh it and we've got 2 40 slot chests for anyone and 2 40 slot chests for officers (which is still basically anyone). So it should hold anything we might want to leave for other people or any newbies that happen to show up easily. And we can always pop the chest back in the cargo hold if we start running out again.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Aug 19, 2015

Cpl Clegg
May 18, 2008

What do you all think about Temple of Elemental Evil ?

I tried it recently and I'm somewhat confused. It's definitely dull and annoying solo, for me at least. I didn't even finish the first part. It might be interesting to explore in a goon group though, or maybe a speed run with someone who knows it well.

Speaking of guild buffs, are there any plans to delete old ones ? They're shorter and annoying to keep up but still very nice, especially resists.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

They eventually wanted to turn them off, but given that the only ones that stack with the existing ones are the resists... I guess they probably don't see a huge need. We've stopped bothering with resists, but they're still super powerful for low level people. Later on self casting resists with the normal spell or the destiny resists (or warlock enhancement and even gear) makes them not nearly as useful, but it's nice to know they're there if you're desperate.

ToEE is... okay. I like the concept and Wil is a cool DM in general, so was nice to see they brought him in. The level split makes it really awkward though. The low level is so low level as to be nearly useless, and it's super long if you don't know it well, which is unusual. The high end one is all ML28 so is only good if you're not TRing anytime soon. The actual design of the quest is alright, you can kinda rush through it and just complete the quest in like 15 minutes if you want, or you can take your time and get some lovely experience and just enjoy the place. They've bumped the experience repeatedly but just like the explorer areas it half mirrors it'll always wind up lovely in the end. If they'd done what they did with the last pack and made it a early-mid teens/30 split, it would have been a hell of a lot more useful and fun.

Cpl Clegg
May 18, 2008

Haha, I thought old buffs stacked with the new ones because you kept them all in the cargo hold and I didn't bother to check.

As for ToEE, I had an idea that it's just a botched attempt to convert the tabletop module. Turbine had to make it hard to recreate the original, killing players left and right for no reason, and so huge that babies will born, grow and die of old age before it's completed. But they also realized that it's 2015 and players won't play it at all if conversion is close enough so they pre-nerfed it and now it's just dull and annoying. :)

Will is great though, can't argue about that. And I'm pretty sure it can be incredibly fun and hilarious if played by several clueless 7th level newbies. I wish it was here back when I started, it would've been great.

Game_Whino
Jul 16, 2007

Let's drink until we can't feel anymore!
After months and months of daily runs and 3 ransacks. I've finally gotten my god damned ML7 golden orb of death.

gently caress TOEE I'm never running it again.

edit: Ok. I'd be down for leading people through provided it's ok to pull giant crowds at them.

Game_Whino fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Aug 19, 2015

Cpl Clegg
May 18, 2008

What about little reality show ? We find 4 newbies, give them lots of potions and drop them into ToEE with M key disabled, so we can watch the stream of them bumbling through it ? Bonus points for webcam of their faces and additional one focused on a hand-written map of the place. Not sure if we should allow betting though, it'd be just mean.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Never realized how good that Orb is. There's replacements for everything but that really. The sun elf orb is competitive but race limited, otherwise you're able to use that Golden Orb of Death until like level 25/26, ughh. Don't want to farm that for both of us though =-(

[Edit] I guess to be fair we have Skiver and enough Shield pieces it's not worth the effort for how few lives we have left, but they need better orb itemization.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Aug 19, 2015

Cpl Clegg
May 18, 2008

I've noticed a strange thing I don't undestand. Why XP shown in quest summary is higher when you enter but then drops a bit ? And then bumps up when you complete the quest ?

It was showing 8k+ exp at the start of a quest but dropped to 7400 in a minute or so (no mischief or aggression yet), then it became 8500 at the end (with ransack and conquest) but I've got 9k+ (not counting exp bonus, 10k+ with it).

Cpl Clegg fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Aug 23, 2015

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Because the experience report sheet is really bad at taking all bonuses into account and likes to randomly drop some of them (especially streak, first time, server side or other "temporary" ones). I've never had it effect the actual experience earned, but the report is usually hosed up by at least a little.

Cpl Clegg
May 18, 2008

DemonMage posted:

Because the experience report sheet is really bad at taking all bonuses into account and likes to randomly drop some of them (especially streak, first time, server side or other "temporary" ones). I've never had it effect the actual experience earned, but the report is usually hosed up by at least a little.

Yeah just figured it out, it was the daily bonus. It returned in the end but was randomly disappearing or getting back all the time I was doing the quest. And of course I was only looking at the last number so I didn't notice it for some time.

In other news, beholder pet is great.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
I just started playing this again after not playing in 3 years. My highest character was a level 10 melee ranger, but figured I'd start fresh. I rolled a paladin and a wizard and am noticing that wizard just seems to kill things so slow and is kind of finnicky to play. I like the idea of doing the necromancy line but does magic casting ever get better or should I just stick to bashing skulls on my paladin?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Ort posted:

I just started playing this again after not playing in 3 years. My highest character was a level 10 melee ranger, but figured I'd start fresh. I rolled a paladin and a wizard and am noticing that wizard just seems to kill things so slow and is kind of finnicky to play. I like the idea of doing the necromancy line but does magic casting ever get better or should I just stick to bashing skulls on my paladin?

The wizards lovely lovely start is a holdover from how terrible they are at lower levels in actual D&D. They do get better though.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
I think it just took some getting used to, even after a couple levels it felt better. Having the skeleton summon has been really helpful for the low level quests, too, although I'm sure it quickly becomes useless.

Edit: Would love a guild invite on Ortella if anyone gets a chance.

Ort fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Aug 29, 2015

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Wizards tend to be boring in the beginning in most games. They generally become cool once they've got the mana/sp/whatever to support casting a lot as well as a deep/flexible pool of spells to draw from, all of which tend to be lacking at the early stages of an rpg.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Paladins got buffed to crazy levels not too long ago so they're super strong and wizards wont get a pass for a long time yet.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Are there any recommendations for what packs to run new people through? I've got them up to around level 7 now and with the double bonus points + adventure packs on sale, I'm trying to get the best bang for their buck. Keep in mind I'm not expecting to get them to 20. They'll probably burn out before that so priority is the 8-16 range with a heavier weight towards the lower end. I'm trying to keep them entertained enough to keep playing since a couple of 'em have a tendency to flare out on games after a couple weeks to a month.

Game_Whino
Jul 16, 2007

The big ones in my opinion are tangleroot, delera's, gianthold, sands, and vale. STK is also nice.

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog
So glad for this double turbine point weekend + the 30% off quest packs. Think I got everything I need (for now) for levelling and epic quests. Now to either continue my frost Sorcerer or go with Warlock.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
Just started playing this. Name is Veilna Truvin, level 2 Paladin. Joining for those sweet, sweet poopsocking rewards

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Mailed you a guild invite, not sure if you got it or not since it seems like you're in another guild already.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Ranger Deepwood Stalker proposed changes are up. Tempest should be soon. Both are coming in U28. Arcane Archer changes are coming in 28.X instead. Good changes all around, not super exciting.

Also Bonus Days is +30% heroic experience for the weekend.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Update 28 is up on Lamannia. Has the new pack which has named items that have a 2 piece set bonus, and if you wear 6/8 of them, you get a bigger set bonus. They're in the dojo chest but no one has posted them yet [Edit]someone has now[/Edit]. It also includes the Tempest and Deepwood changes. This change also stood out to me:

quote:

Monster autoscaling for level 30 quests has been removed, and monster stats for level 30 quests have been manually adjusted. This applies to any CR 30 quest (Level 28 quests on Elite, for example.)

Super vague. Could be bad, good, or not noticeable.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Sep 16, 2015

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
The new loot seems intriguing.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Haggis invited me yesterday, I'm playing a human wizard named Trayvonne Martina. Is the mumble server in the OP still in use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Game_Whino
Jul 16, 2007

Oh wow, we used to have a mumble server!

• Locked thread