Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yeah Caverna is kinda max Uwe, but without the punching you in the nuts at the end of each round. I love it too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Yesterday we played the first two missions of Legendary Encounters: Alien. I enjoyed more than I expected, given that I didn't like Marvel. The mission structure gives some objective to the game beyond holding on until you run out of cards, the barrack cards aren't overpowered (EDIT: As in "everyone was more or less helping and no one snowballed out of some good early cards") and being cooperative solves the problem of the runaway leader usual in non-Dominion deckbuilders. The missions also had some mechanical semblance to the movies: first one is about avoidance, healing and scanning, second one is straight pew pew pew and though guys.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Aug 28, 2015

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Mister Sinewave posted:

I am a visual and tactile person who thinks with his eyes and looks with his hands. Having my own little map of rock + woodland that I develop by actually placing little components on it is :swoon: :allears:, I don't know how else to put it.
I actually wrote about this a long time ago. I call it visual storylines and it's one of my favourite things in board games: developing something visually is really interesting to me. So I like things like 18xx, war games, Agricola, dungeon lords/pets etc because they each tell a story of how your dungeon/farm/war/railroad company develops. It's why I used to take pictures of the end state of my 18xx games. I wrote a blog post about this.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Fat Samurai posted:

Yesterday we played the first two missions of Legendary Encounters: Alien. I enjoyed more than I expected, given that I didn't like Marvel. The mission structure gives some objective to the game beyond holding on until you run out of cards, the barrack cards aren't overpowered and being cooperative solves the problem of the runaway leader usual in non-Dominion deckbuilders. The missions also had some mechanical semblance to the movies: first one is about avoidance, healing and scanning, second one is straight pew pew pew and though guys.

Wait till you try Alien 3. It's like being hosed in the rear end with a chainsaw on the first playthrough when you don't know what's going on.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
I was wondering if anyone has any good recommendations for print and play board games or playtest versions of recommended games?

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

It'll be like a real doll that moves around and talks and stuff!

Fat Samurai posted:

Yesterday we played the first two missions of Legendary Encounters: Alien. I enjoyed more than I expected, given that I didn't like Marvel. The mission structure gives some objective to the game beyond holding on until you run out of cards, the barrack cards aren't overpowered and being cooperative solves the problem of the runaway leader usual in non-Dominion deckbuilders. The missions also had some mechanical semblance to the movies: first one is about avoidance, healing and scanning, second one is straight pew pew pew and though guys.

Yeah, I've played the first 3 scenarios. The Aliens 3 one I played by myself on Tabletop Simulator to give it a try. I actually really like the hero cards in that one the most so far. Aliens 3 has a theme of self sacrifice to it. The sacrifice effect kills that card to get an added boost to whatever it was doing already. So extra recruit or extra damage when you need it most. It is optional. I like it better than the Vigilant ability. It allows you to thin out your deck. There are also extra coordinate cards with damage and recruit points. Heck, there's one that has both. I don't think there are any extra coordinate cards in Aliens. Ripley's most powerful card is a 5 damage with coordinate, plus the ability for a player to eliminate himself to heal up the team. Since its coordinate, any player would be able to use that ability if they were going to die already. Anyway, lots of good cards in that deck. There are two other cards that let you kill off cards to thin your deck. One card I like to call the gently caress, Marry, Kill card. Draw 3 cards: Discard one, put one back onto the top of your deck, and Kill the last one. By the end of the game (I won) one of my two decks was down to I think 5 or 6 base cards. I had killed the rest off already. So pretty much every draw was just good stuff. Alien only has the Ripley card to thin your deck and I don't think Aliens has anything.

Oh, the final boss is pretty epic too. Instead of lots of health and "you can't kill this card till X happens" like the Queen, instead it gets one ups for every event card that has been played so far. Plus when you play new events, they get added to the stack as well. Pretty great!

Robust Laser
Oct 13, 2012

Dance, Spaceman, Dance!
When I played Legendary Encounters: Alien, I was the traitor, and I intentionally let loose a dangerous alien to wreck the others. It promptly killed me and I couldn't be too mad. It was very thematically appropriate.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Huxley posted:

How fast can you guys do a full 6 rounds of Mage Knight solo? It just took me 4 hours to conquer two level 5 cities and I feel like that's long, but I felt like I was playing very quickly.

Maybe it just felt quick compared to having to look every rule up every combat.

Usually a couple days. I like to leave out the board and take a turn every time my mood fancies me.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

So I looked closer at "Gates of Loayang" and came across "Merkator".

Has anyone played that one?

How does it Play solo?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

But, it's "fun".

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
That is a good dog that deserves its owner's undying love.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Toshimo posted:

But, it's "fun".

That's what happens when you make him play as the battleship instead of the scottie dog.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Popular Tags: [+] dogs_playing_games [+] adorable [+] cash_rules_everything_around_me [+] bark_bark_bark_bark_bark [+] whos_a_good_boy [+] guy [+] free_parking [+]BBHMM [View All]

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I never thought I would see anything having fun playing Monopoly but I was wrong.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Chill la Chill posted:

I never thought I would see anything having fun playing Monopoly but I was wrong.

Dogs have fun doing anything.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Toshimo posted:

Popular Tags: [+] dogs_playing_games [+] adorable [+] cash_rules_everything_around_me [+] bark_bark_bark_bark_bark [+] whos_a_good_boy [+] guy [+] free_parking [+]BBHMM [View All]

I think you mean "Free_barking"

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Sloober posted:

Amazing.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Sloober posted:

:master:

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
I no longer have any amount of shame.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Sloober posted:

I'm laughing way too hard at this.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.

Just in time for game night tonight!

Edit: whoops will fix this image soon... But it's Codenames

Radioactive Toy fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 28, 2015

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
While we're still on Monopoly chat I figured I'd share this thing that a few of my friends set up that launched today for any of you interested in game design:
http://hasbrogaminglab.com/

I don't typically like to be a corporate shill, but I'd honestly recommend it to anyone that's looking to run a game crowdfunding campaign soon. I think it could be a pretty good deal, and designer/IP retention friendly. The group running it is a solid bunch too that are trying to change some of the impressions that hobbyists have about Hasbro games (and if you aren't aware, Chris Nelson is one of the main developers for HeroScape and the new Magic game).
Of course, make sure you read through the legalese and make sure everything would fly with you before blindly signing up your idea.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Deceptive Thinker posted:

While we're still on Monopoly chat I figured I'd share this thing that a few of my friends set up that launched today for any of you interested in game design:

I don't typically like to be a corporate shill, but I'd honestly recommend it to anyone that's looking to run a game crowdfunding campaign soon. I think it could be a pretty good deal, and designer/IP retention friendly. The group running it is a solid bunch too that are trying to change some of the impressions that hobbyists have about Hasbro games (and if you aren't aware, Chris Nelson is one of the main developers for HeroScape and the new Magic game).
Of course, make sure you read through the legalese and make sure everything would fly with you before blindly signing up your idea.

Give us your good idea and watch us make millions while you get pennies to the dollar.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

Give us your good idea and watch us make millions while you get pennies to the dollar.

Like I said, read the fine print, that's not how it works

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

quote:

With respect to any characters, music, scripts, screenplays, storylines, and/or plot outlines (referenced herein collectively or separately as “Entertainment Materials”), you hereby waive any claim, action, and/or suit (collectively, “Claims”) against Hasbro, and/or Hasbro’s affiliates, distributors, customers, vendors, promotional partners, and/or licensees, and/or their respective officers, directors, employees, agents, and/or assigns, relating to any alleged use or misappropriation by Hasbro of any Submission. With respect to any aspects of any Submission other than Entertainment Materials, including but not limited to any toy, game, puzzle, or other product concepts, ideas, innovations, modifications, or improvements disclosed to Hasbro as part of the Submission, you hereby waive and forever discharge and release Hasbro, its affiliates, vendors, promotional partners, distributors, customers, and licensees, and their respective officers, directors, employees, agents, and assigns, from and against, any and all Claims relating to any alleged use or misappropriation by Hasbro of such aspects of any Submission.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Like I said, read the fine print, that's not how it works

Right. You don't even get the pennies.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Submit pictomania and see how far it goes.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Durendal posted:

Right. You don't even get the pennies.

I forgot goons think everyone is out to scam them, especially companies that rely on good PR

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

I forgot goons think everyone is out to scam them, especially companies that rely on good PR

You're a goddamn moron if you don't assume that international conglomerate businesses are out to gently caress you by default.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

gently caress off, that contest is bullshit.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

gently caress off, that contest is bullshit.

I wouldn't have posted it it if were, but you're entitled to your opinion. It's essentially the same agreement that inventors sign when submitting ideas, and they get paid, a lot actually

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Here is contract, bought to you by a person with the word "Deceptive" right in their name.

Sign here!

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Gravy Train Robber posted:

I was wondering if anyone has any good recommendations for print and play board games or playtest versions of recommended games?

I've got a few battlcon playtests and an exceed playtest, made by the same company. pm me your email and ill send them your way

EBag
May 18, 2006

Mister Sinewave posted:

I am a visual and tactile person who thinks with his eyes and looks with his hands. Having my own little map of rock + woodland that I develop by actually placing little components on it is :swoon: :allears:, I don't know how else to put it.

Is this what all his games are like? Because if so I've been missing out.

Yah a lot of them have that sort of element, the other prominent feature in a lot of his games is resource conversion - turning X into Y. Agricola, Fields of Arle, Glass Road and Ora et Labora especially all give players individual boards to build on. All great games, my personal favorites are Fields of Arle and Glass Road.

Some other games I can think of that have similar elements are Castles of Burgundy, La Granja and Keyflower.

Texibus
May 18, 2008

Toshimo posted:

But, it's "fun".

Ahh she thinks she's people... Just like me she's pretending to play dead after the terrible decision to play monopoly was made.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Someone should rescue that dog and let it play a GOOD GAME, jfc

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Whoever came up with the concept of playing Codenames using Dixit cards is evil.

There's no way I'd give them one of my good games, but $10,000 would give me the marketing capital I need to KS a real game.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
wait, what the gently caress?

quote:

D. HOW TO ENTER

Phase 1: NO PURCHASE IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. Between 12:00 AM ET August 28, 2015 and 11:59 PM ET September 30, 2015 (the “Submission Period”), interested individuals will need to register at the Challenge site http://hasbrogaminglab.com/submit/ and will be asked to include, among other information, the specific details of your concept including but not limited to a brief description, rules, and photographs (if applicable, allowed file types include .jpg, .gif, .png, and .pdf) (collectively, the “Submission”). Please note that the Challenge is accepting both individual and team Submissions (up to four (4) individuals may be on a team). Team Submissions will be required to designate a representative (the “Team Leader”) to serve as the primary contact in the Challenge. To be clear, in these rules, either an individual submitting on his or her own behalf or a Team Leader submitting on behalf of a team of individuals may be referred to as the “Primary Contact.” The Primary Contact must be able to accept responsibility for any prize (including on behalf of a team), agree to be bound and bind the team to these Terms, manage the Campaign (defined above), and respond to any inquiries. Throughout these Terms, any reference to an individual submitting a Submission or taking any action is also intended to include any Team Leaders as representatives for their whole teams.
Note that all Submissions must comply with our Terms of Use and must be acceptable for inclusion on Indiegogo according to their Terms of Use.
Phase 2: Upon selection by Hasbro, the Finalists (defined below) will receive an email notification and link to register on indiegogo.com to create and run a Campaign. Each Finalist must make their Campaign “go live” at 12:00 AM ET on October 30, 2015 and not before. The period of eligibility for Campaigns to be evaluated under these Terms and be eligible for the Grand Prize (as defined below) is 12:00 AM ET October 30, 2015 through 11:59 PM ET December 1, 2015. Nothing herein shall prevent or restrict a Finalist from continuing to receive funds for their Campaign after 11:59 PM ET December 1, 2015.
All Submissions must be received during the Submission Period. Submissions become the sole and exclusive property of Hasbro and receipt of Submissions will not be acknowledged or returned. If a dispute arises regarding the identity of the individual presenting a Submission, the Submission will be deemed to be submitted by the authorized account holder of the email address provided at the time of entry. “Authorized account holder” is defined as the natural person who is assigned to an e-mail address by an Internet access provider, online service provider, or other organization responsible for assigning e-mail addresses for the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address. Hasbro is not responsible for lost, late, illegible, stolen, incomplete, invalid, unintelligible, postage-due, misdirected, technically corrupted or garbled Submissions, which will be disqualified, or for problems of any kind whether mechanical, human or electronic. Proof of submission will not be deemed to be proof of receipt by Hasbro.
LIMIT: one (1) Submission per person, regardless of whether they submit individually or as part of a team. This means that an individual may participate in an idea Submission either individually or as a member of a team, but may not participate in more than one Submission. A person may use only one email address to enter. Hasbro is not responsible for late, erroneous, misdirected or incomplete Submissions, or for any computer-related, online, telephonic, or technical malfunctions that may occur. Submissions will be considered void if they are in whole or in part illegible, incomplete, damaged, irregular, altered, counterfeit, produced in error, forged, mechanically reproduced or obtained through fraud or theft, or if they otherwise violate these Terms. By participating, you agree to be bound by these Terms. Note that Hasbro is free to engage with all individuals that provide a Submission, in Hasbro’s sole discretion.

E. JUDGING AND WINNER SELECTION AND NOTIFICATION

Phase 1: In order to be eligible to win the prize, eligible participants must first submit their idea via the Submit Your Idea page at http://hasbrogaminglab.com/submit/. All Submissions must be in English. All Submissions will be initially assessed by a small team selected by Hasbro for completeness and initial viability (“Qualifying Submissions”). Please note that Submissions may incorporate digital components, but should not be primarily digital games. On or about October 1, 2015, judges selected by Hasbro will judge each Qualifying Submission according to the following factors (“Judging Criteria”):
• 40%: Gameplay (are there well considered rules, balanced mechanics, limited (if any) digital involvement)
• 20%: Story/theme (abide by a narrative to give dimension to the concept
• 20%: Potential for Fun-ness (It should have the potential to bring people together, instigate laughter, or create good times)
• 20%: Viability (50 foot game boards sound awesome… but it’s unlikely they can be made into a game)

The five (5) Qualifying Submissions that receive the highest score will be eligible for Phase Two of the Challenge. In the event of a tie, the Submissions that are tied will be assessed again by the panel of judges and the Submission with the highest score on the re-assessment will move forward. Decisions of Hasbro and judges are final and binding. A potential Finalist will be notified via email within five (5) business days of being selected. If a potential Finalist does not respond to the notification attempt within three (3) business days from the first notification attempt, then such potential Finalist will be disqualified and the Qualifying Submission with the next highest score received based on the Judging Criteria described herein will be an alternate potential Finalist. Alternate potential Finalists will be contacted via email and must respond to Hasbro’s notification email within 3 business days from that date and time of Hasbro’s notification email. If there are an insufficient number of Qualifying Submissions, Hasbro reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to refrain from selecting Finalists and/or awarding the prize.
Note that all potential Finalists will be required to execute documentation providing for Hasbro’s right of first refusal, as well as tax documentation, an affidavit of eligibility, assignment of rights, liability and (where legal) publicity release (“Challenge Documentation”). Individuals or teams that have been selected as potential Finalists that then return the Challenge Documentation will then be regarded as “Finalists” in the Challenge. Similarly, failure to return the Challenge Documentation may result in disqualification and selection of an alternate potential Finalist. If any potential Finalist (including any member of any team) is considered a minor in his/her jurisdiction of residence, all documentation must also be signed by such minor’s parent or legal guardian.
Phase 2: The five (5) Finalists will then run a Campaign on Indiegogo.com in accordance with and subject to all of the applicable terms and conditions of Indiegogo.com. On or about December 2, 2015, judges selected by Hasbro will select a potential grand prize winner based on the sole and exclusive judgment and discretion of the judges considering the Campaigns that have received funding (regardless of the amount) from a minimum of 100 unique contributors as well as the Judging Criteria, defined above.
By entering the Challenge, participants fully and unconditionally agree to be bound by these Terms and the decisions of Hasbro and the judges, which will be final and binding in all matters relating to the Challenge. Participants are solely responsible for all of their own expenses (except as expressly stated), including, without limitation, for completing and submitting the Submission form and creating and posting their Campaigns and fulfilling and managing any and all requirements related to running a Campaign.

WHAT THE loving gently caress

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
this is easily the scummiest thing i have ever seen in the gaming industry, and that includes exploding kittens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
So basically Hasbro is saying, "We give you our 'blessing', we get all the intellectual property rights, and you crowdfund it yourself." What the gently caress is this poo poo?