Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Tunas are just ocean cows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
I only drink ethically sourced Tuna milk.

genderfluid and beautiful
Feb 1, 2005

e: just found the right thread. IGNORE ME

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I just meant as in how you season and cook it, that's how I season and cook cow steaks.

You can sear a tuna steak with just salt and pepper and it will be delicious. I tend to also add some herbs and/or spices and sesame seeds when I do, it's safe to add all that stuff before the sear because you aren't going to be searing it nearly as hard or as long as a beef steak and the seasonings won't just burn up into charred badness. I'd probably go more like 15-20 secs a side though depending on how hot your pan is, 2 minutes is way too long.

I just looked through 1200 pics on my phone trying to find a seared tuna block I did but I guess it was on my old phone, sorry. A gimg should get you plenty to look at though.

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Aug 27, 2015

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Okay. Is that something impacted by elevation, or is that only stuff that involves water?

What sort of herbs and spices do you like?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I splurged on some ahi tuna steaks since they were on sale, but I have no idea what to do with them. Any suggestions?

Seared tuna.

Although I've gotten lazy and sometimes don't bother marinading, it doesn't make that much of a difference. I just sear the tuna and dump this recipe as a sauce afterwards (minus the sesame oil).

e: But the most important thing with this recipe is definitely to avoid overcooking it. As has been mentioned, if the inside of the steak is still cold, that's fine. It's way better than if it's overcooked.

Jan fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Aug 27, 2015

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Jan posted:

Seared tuna.

Although I've gotten lazy and sometimes don't bother marinading, it doesn't make that much of a difference. I just sear the tuna and dump this recipe as a sauce afterwards (minus the sesame oil).

e: But the most important thing with this recipe is definitely to avoid overcooking it. As has been mentioned, if the inside of the steak is still cold, that's fine. It's way better than if it's overcooked.

Thanks. I might not do that one tonight because she probably won't want to wait for the marinade prep, but we have enough for two meals. So I will prep the marinade tonight, have her get the fish ready before I come home, and give it a shot.

The tuna was previously frozen, but I live 1000 miles from the nearest ocean, so that is par for the course.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Almost all tuna is frozen though.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Almost all tuna is frozen though.
All commercially caught fish is frozen, with minor caveats so small as to be rounding error. Most people have never eaten a fish that hasn't been previously frozen except any they may have caught themselves.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Okay, the recipe was just talking about how important freshness was. I haven't ever lived anywhere coastal, is it like that on the coast as well?

E: person above me posted while I was posting.

SteveRansom
Aug 27, 2015
I live in the northern Georgia area and evidently it is okra season, of course this means everyone and their brother has a surplus of okra that they keep putting off on me. So my question is does anyone have any interesting things to do with okra besides the standard just fry it method? Looking for maybe some good recipes for pickling as well as maybe some sauteed stuff.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

SteveRansom posted:

I live in the northern Georgia area and evidently it is okra season, of course this means everyone and their brother has a surplus of okra that they keep putting off on me. So my question is does anyone have any interesting things to do with okra besides the standard just fry it method? Looking for maybe some good recipes for pickling as well as maybe some sauteed stuff.

I don't have any personal recipes, but check out these two websites.
Both have a little gallery-thing of ten or so recipes each. Some look pretty drat good.

http://camillestyles.com/living/cream-of-the-crop/10-best-ways-to-eat-okra?slide=6
http://www.southernliving.com/food/10-best-okra-recipes

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Basil mint cilantro salt pepper is a good outer crust, add red pepper flakes if you like

I also like a harissa-type crust on seared tuna: cumin coriander caraway black pepper and red pepper flake (and salt)

Lemon peel rosemary parsley red pepper flake and thyme is cool too

Marinating in a marinade is not particularly necessary, and if your marinade contains much acid is not even desireable as it will begin to cook the fish before you even apply heat.

The goal with seared tuna is to cook the minimum amount of the fish possible, you want anything beyond 1/8 or even 1/16 of an inch to be pretty much dead raw, while getting the seared flavor on the exterior surface.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

SteveRansom posted:

Gumbo

constantly

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Batter and deep fry.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Is there a way to...cultivate the mold that makes blue cheese blue? it's a type of penicillin, I know that.

I ask becuase I had left out a coconut oil-based salad dressing (oil, water, grapefruit juice and spices/herbs/stuff since I didn't have vinegar at the time) out for a week or two (in 80-90 degree heat) and when I saw it again and went to pour it out I smelled the most delicious blue cheese smell, just nutty and rich with a nice tangy punch and all of that so I went and drank some. When I didn't get sick or die the next day, I continued using it as a fantastic light salad dressing and kept it in the fridge again, until I finally ran out.

Was it a death-free serendipity on my end, or is there a method?

Can I make more, or should I buy a block of tasty blue cheese and drop a few crumbs into new dressing and let it sit out for a few days in a cool place?

Drifter fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Aug 28, 2015

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Bought some liver skewers for dinner a couple nights ago. I was really looking forward to trying some for the first time but it tasted(?) and smelled almost exactly like canned dog food. Did I just get some badly prepared stuff? What was your first experience with offal like? I want to get to like it, I really do.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Drifter posted:

Is there a way to...cultivate the mold that makes blue cheese blue? it's a type of penicillin, I know that.

I ask becuase I had left out a coconut oil-based salad dressing (oil, water, grapefruit juice and spices/herbs/stuff since I didn't have vinegar at the time) out for a week or two (in 80-90 degree heat) and when I saw it again and went to pour it out I smelled the most delicious blue cheese smell, just nutty and rich with a nice tangy punch and all of that so I went and drank some. When I didn't get sick or die the next day, I continued using it as a fantastic light salad dressing and kept it in the fridge again, until I finally ran out.

Was it a death-free serendipity on my end, or is there a method?

Can I make more, or should I buy a block of tasty blue cheese and drop a few crumbs into new dressing and let it sit out for a few days in a cool place?
Easiest approach would be to just buy a P. roqueforti culture from a cheesemaking supply place. Home cheesemaking is totally a thing with a shitload of resources out there so you don't have to be all ghetto about it unless you really want to.

But yeah, you can use e.g. a piece of bread as a medium to grow a culture of mold from a piece of cheese, but it's not something I've personally done so I won't try to offer any advice on it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
So it's cheese cultures in a jar just like buying bread yeast or something? That's kinda dope. I had no idea. I'll look into that. The things I could do. :unsmigghh:

kinmik posted:

Bought some liver skewers for dinner a couple nights ago. I was really looking forward to trying some for the first time but it tasted(?) and smelled almost exactly like canned dog food. Did I just get some badly prepared stuff? What was your first experience with offal like? I want to get to like it, I really do.
Liver has a VERY distinctive taste. Some people just don't like it. But you don't ever want to overcook it. You'll absolutely ruin the taste and does end up tasting a bit how dog food smells, with a very dry, pasty texture. Basically, don't ever cook it beyond the point where it's tender. If it firms up and it's still in the pan you've done hosed up. It's done cooking in the pan when were you to cut it open it'd look like a rare steak. I mean, it'll continue to cook a little, but pull it off the heat. This changes if you're braising it or can control the temperature better or whatever.

Some people soak it in milk for two or so hours to remove any bitterness from the liver. Honestly, you're better just soaking it in water to remove any traces of that bitterness. To my experience, milk doesn't do anything water doesn't. It's like the wives' tale of searing in a steak's flavor. Old habits. I supose you could try soaking it in water with a little bit of acid, like vinegar or lemon-ish juice. That'd work okay.

I suppose the best thing is to not cook small-sized liver with other things - unless you're frying an egg it'll finish cooking before the other stuff. If you have a big ol' beef liver chillin' or whatever, then it'll be able to take a little extra time and you could cook it with some veggies.

I prepare mine a few ways. Of course there's garlic and other vegetables and poo poo in there too, but I don't want to write garlic and stuff a billion times. *Sliced thinly and blanched (to keep a nice texture and shape) enough to call it cooked, then dipped into soy+ginger sauce. *Flash-saute the thing, then let it reduce with a small amount of brandy, some chili paste (or ginger) and nutmeg/rosemary (pull out the liver and add some butter to finish a sauce if you want, you don't have to). *Sautee it with butter or lard and some spices (maybe bloom the spices first), but chop it up afterwards and add some sour cream and some lemon butter or balsamic vinegar to it - actually I like to just put it onto a baked potato if I am going with sour cream. *Slice it evenly, but keep it thick, and dredge with some flour(and salt and pepper)/bread crumb and fry it - I'd suggest you saute some onions beforehand and once they turn gold add a little extra bacon fat and then the liver to finish. *a couple other more complicated things.

I'm sure other people do other things.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Aug 28, 2015

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
On the subject of liver, I have a package of the stuff from the farmer's market. It comes in thin-ish strips that have veins/artery walls in it. Is there an easier way of removing them? Cutting around them with a knife seems tedious and I'm curious if there are other tricks.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Liver is fairly polarizing, either you like it or you don't. I like a variety of offal, but I don't really like liver all that much. I occasionally enjoy Jewish Deli style liver and onions, that's pretty much it.

Drifter posted:

So it's cheese cultures in a jar just like buying bread yeast or something? That's kinda dope. I had no idea. I'll look into that. The things I could do. :unsmigghh:

Little paper packets, stored in the freezer. Here is my current stash, I bought this at a local brewing supply store.

Note that once you have the cultures, you can make "cheese" from a variety of non-dairy ingredients, like soy and raw cashew butter.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^^ - that should be easy enough to find. Thanks for the photo. I'm eyeing that Kefir culture too. Haha. Making my own strawberry or blueberry kefir sounds amazing. So much cheaper.

A LOT of people for their first liver experience go with either ketchup or sauerkraut as sides/toppings. Especially the ketchup. I guess it's the sugar that helps to deaden the flavor for people who aren't used to it.

The Ferret King posted:

On the subject of liver, I have a package of the stuff from the farmer's market. It comes in thin-ish strips that have veins/artery walls in it. Is there an easier way of removing them? Cutting around them with a knife seems tedious and I'm curious if there are other tricks.

Get what's easy and forget the rest. :shrug: it shouldn't be difficult.

Cut it like you would to devein shrimp, if you really want. These things will usually cook fine. If the veins bug you just slice the liver before to make removal easier and make a different liver dish.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZBItrVx-8U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adAlKAuVJRs

Drifter fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Aug 28, 2015

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I just got the meat grinder attachment for my stand mixer. What else is there to grind aside from beef if I'm burgin'?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

The Midniter posted:

I just got the meat grinder attachment for my stand mixer. What else is there to grind aside from beef if I'm burgin'?

Sausage

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Pork butt

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I made that sloppy joe recipe posted a couple pages back, but scaled up for a bit over 2 lbs of ground beef. It turned out really acidic, to the point of irritating my mouth after eating one. Obviously I have plenty left; what's the best way to cut that acidity? Sugar? Honey?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

More ground beef?

Feed it to a dog?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Chemmy posted:

More ground beef?

Feed it to a dog?

I suppose I could add ground beef and simmer it all some more. Probably easiest/best.

I was going to ask more questions about sloppy joes but then I realized they're loving sloppy joes

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lawnie posted:

I was going to ask more questions about sloppy joes but then I realized they're loving sloppy joes

If you're having a question regarding them, someone will likely have some advice.

You could also try adding like, caramelized onions and cheese into the mix. The suggestion of more meat is probably the best advice, though. You'd ruin the taste of the joe if you tried to cover up a too vinegary flavor with sweetener - those should be flavor accents, not the full flavor itself. Unless you enjoy eating meat ice cream.

More meat and more stock to simmer. I'd maybe pull out the meat and reduce the original liquid down and thicken it a bit before adding the other things back to it. You could always use beer instead of extra stock, to add moisture.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Aug 28, 2015

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Drifter posted:

If you're having a question regarding them, someone will likely have some advice.

You could also try adding like, caramelized onions and cheese into the mix. The suggestion of more meat is probably the best advice, though. You'd ruin the taste of the joe if you tried to cover up a too vinegary flavor with sweetener - those should be flavor accents, not the full flavor itself. Unless you enjoy eating meat ice cream.

More meat and more stock to simmer. I'd maybe pull out the meat and reduce the original liquid down and thicken it a bit before adding the other things back to it. You could always use beer instead of extra stock, to add moisture.

Hm, the recipe I followed didn't call for any liquid other than the ketchup, vinegar, and a bit of mustard. And it turned out so acidic that it both made me gag from the scent and also irritated a giant portion of my gums. I'll try adding another half pound of ground beef and a can of beer and see how it turns out. I figure I can't make it worse than it already is.

God, for someone who considers himself a better cook than most, I'm embarrassed to have hosed up sloppy joes.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

What kind of vinegar did you use? Hard to believe that 1 Tablespoon of it would make it that sour...
It's been a while since I made that recipe, but I used Gulden's spicy mustard, I suppose if you used dijon it would be more sour.

Next time google up a different recipe and see if you like it better.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Squashy Nipples posted:

What kind of vinegar did you use? Hard to believe that 1 Tablespoon of it would make it that sour...
It's been a while since I made that recipe, but I used Gulden's spicy mustard, I suppose if you used dijon it would be more sour.

Next time google up a different recipe and see if you like it better.

I used apple cider vinegar and some generic hot brown mustard from the store. I wonder if I absentmindedly mismeasured the vinegar or something when I added it.

Oh well, my Mom likes some Rhea Drummond (sp?) recipe quite a bit so I'll give that a try next time I have some leftover ground beef and little to no inspiration.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

This the same New York Times what put peas in guacamole?

You're 1,000,000,000 times wrong. Quote this and apologize please. The times wrote about ABC Cocina a loving awesome Jean Georges restaurant that is veggie forward (and very generous with their van winkle pours) and this was the peak of spring and I ate that loving pea guacamole and you know what? It was delicious and totally in line with the rest of their food.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is it a bad idea to leave something in the crock pot on low for like, 12-13 hours? I want to start some shredded beef for tomorrow, but will probably want to sleep in sort of late. I haven't had a time in the past where I've had something in there for more than maybe 8 hours so I don't want to gently caress it up, but I imagine it shouldn't be a big deal?

Edit: Actually this is probably a bad idea isn't it? I'm going to wake up to flavorless mush if I do this aren't I?

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Aug 29, 2015

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

The Midniter posted:

Gotta grind up some falafel.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Grind up a bunch of hard boiled eggs.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Turkeybone posted:

You're 1,000,000,000 times wrong. Quote this and apologize please. The times wrote about ABC Cocina a loving awesome Jean Georges restaurant that is veggie forward (and very generous with their van winkle pours) and this was the peak of spring and I ate that loving pea guacamole and you know what? It was delicious and totally in line with the rest of their food.

Nope.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

Drifter posted:

Liver has a VERY distinctive taste. Some people just don't like it. But you don't ever want to overcook it. You'll absolutely ruin the taste and does end up tasting a bit how dog food smells, with a very dry, pasty texture. Basically, don't ever cook it beyond the point where it's tender. If it firms up and it's still in the pan you've done hosed up. It's done cooking in the pan when were you to cut it open it'd look like a rare steak. I mean, it'll continue to cook a little, but pull it off the heat. This changes if you're braising it or can control the temperature better or whatever.

Some people soak it in milk for two or so hours to remove any bitterness from the liver. Honestly, you're better just soaking it in water to remove any traces of that bitterness. To my experience, milk doesn't do anything water doesn't. It's like the wives' tale of searing in a steak's flavor. Old habits. I supose you could try soaking it in water with a little bit of acid, like vinegar or lemon-ish juice. That'd work okay.

I suppose the best thing is to not cook small-sized liver with other things - unless you're frying an egg it'll finish cooking before the other stuff. If you have a big ol' beef liver chillin' or whatever, then it'll be able to take a little extra time and you could cook it with some veggies.

I prepare mine a few ways. Of course there's garlic and other vegetables and poo poo in there too, but I don't want to write garlic and stuff a billion times. *Sliced thinly and blanched (to keep a nice texture and shape) enough to call it cooked, then dipped into soy+ginger sauce. *Flash-saute the thing, then let it reduce with a small amount of brandy, some chili paste (or ginger) and nutmeg/rosemary (pull out the liver and add some butter to finish a sauce if you want, you don't have to). *Sautee it with butter or lard and some spices (maybe bloom the spices first), but chop it up afterwards and add some sour cream and some lemon butter or balsamic vinegar to it - actually I like to just put it onto a baked potato if I am going with sour cream. *Slice it evenly, but keep it thick, and dredge with some flour(and salt and pepper)/bread crumb and fry it - I'd suggest you saute some onions beforehand and once they turn gold add a little extra bacon fat and then the liver to finish. *a couple other more complicated things.

I'm sure other people do other things.
Holy drat, I just saw some liver at the store today. If I hadn't just eaten, my mouth would be watering. I gonna make the thing. Thanks so much!

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
I went to the store and wanted to see if they had any miso. I wasn't very hopeful but I was pleasantly surprised, and then immediately overwhelmed. I did not know there were different types of miso! This is what they had at the store: https://imgur.com/a/I8bah

Need a little help here. I want to make miso soup and put it in things to make them tasty. I imagine all of them do that, but is one better than the other? They all look pretty different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

NESguerilla posted:

Is it a bad idea to leave something in the crock pot on low for like, 12-13 hours? I want to start some shredded beef for tomorrow, but will probably want to sleep in sort of late. I haven't had a time in the past where I've had something in there for more than maybe 8 hours so I don't want to gently caress it up, but I imagine it shouldn't be a big deal?

Edit: Actually this is probably a bad idea isn't it? I'm going to wake up to flavorless mush if I do this aren't I?

If you have an analog crock pot (switch for high/low/off rather than buttons or something) and an outlet timer you could just delay the start.

That said, I doubt your food would be flavorless, but it might be mushy. I've never done a 12 hour crock pot session before.