Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

It was... a joke. Note the "not just". Breathe.

This thread has gotten to the point where I can't even tell anymore.

Spaceman Future! posted:

no no you misunderstand, she was talking about mostly Asian boxcars.

Has American manufacturing gotten so low that we're importing our deportation boxcars from China now? Donald is right, they're killing us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

The X-man cometh posted:

Has American manufacturing gotten so low that we're importing our deportation boxcars from China now? Donald is right, they're killing us.

#MakeTheHolocaustGreatAgain

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Rise Hillary Rise. I really hate the GOP having just discovered the internet and are using all types of memes ad-nauseam.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
This election cycle brought to you by /pol/ and Tumblr.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
In Minneapolis this week: the Democratic National Convention's summer meeting. Also, Anthrocon.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Joementum posted:

In Minneapolis this week: the Democratic National Convention's summer meeting. Also, Anthrocon.

The Dogtags make this. He isnt just an extreme tiger cameraman, hes also a veteran.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Spaceman Future! posted:

The Dogtags make this. He isnt just an extreme tiger cameraman, hes also a veteran.

Jim Webb isn't speaking at the DNC meeting. His campaign cited a scheduling conflict............

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
This could have been such a good weekend for David Wu

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
TPM with a hot take that Trump is too much of an rear end in a top hat for traditional political maneuvering or reporting to cope with

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
martin omalley is doing his best impression of a famous politician

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

"Awash in derp"

What is this, 2011?

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

I read the article up to the word "derp" in the lead sentence, then I clicked on the X.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

I read the article up to the word "derp" in the lead sentence, then I clicked on the X.

Le Trump herps derps: bacon at 11

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
like I said, a hot take

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
The "derp" was really stupid but the article is interesting.

This is the essential point of it:

quote:

Trump does seem to have realized that, paradoxically, the 24 hour news cycle and the “Internet Time” phenomena that demands instant responses to other candidate’s statements and acts, has paradoxically led to the accretion of ever greater layers of buffering and vetting to prevent a candidate from losing a news cycle, or several news cycles, to a gaffe that have both created an absolute minimum response time that can be exploited by dispensing with those protections and attenuated the effectiveness of the response when it comes because the fear of the gaffe exceeds the desire to exploit the opportunity.

The result is exactly the kind of Luntzified keyword marble-mouthed double talking zinger durp that people (on both sides) have come to loathe. What Trump has realized is that he can get inside the other candidates' OODA loops by just working without a net and firing off one tweet and one unfiltered message after another so that the other guys are responding to what he said three tweet cycles ago.

But perhaps more importantly, he’s realized he can get away with what the other campaigns would deem disasterous “gaffes” by getting inside the press corps’ OODA loop, which he does by firing gaffe after gaffe after gaffe in n such machine-gun like rapid succession that the MSM never has a chance to focus on one and turn it into something like, say Romney’s “49%” or Obama’s “bitter clingers” gaffes (square quote omitted) because by the time they report it, he’s already belted out a half dozen more on that topic and fired off three other salvos on three other topics.

quote:

Another way to think about operating inside the OODA loop is that we change the situation more rapidly than the opponent can comprehend (Boyd, 1986, p. 5). And keep doing it. These concepts go considerably deeper than cycling through “observe, then orient, then decide, then act” more rapidly than an opponent.

Boyd made the claim that the ability to perform the more sophisticated version enabled one to execute an agenda of heinous acts upon one’s adversary, ending with “Generate uncertainty, confusion, disorder, panic, chaos … to shatter cohesion, produce paralysis and bring about collapse” (Boyd, 1986, p. 132).

(added linebreaks for readability)

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Boosted_C5 posted:

Daily reminder that Donald Trump is the most progressive candidate in either major party with a chance to win.

Stop dipping your toes in the water and take the plunge. Let go and allow the the darkness to consume you.

Your mouth says yes, but your lack of gang tag says no.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Holy fuckin poo poo I just realized that was a gang tag. Laffo

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
It certainly seems to be an astute observation. Bernie's operating largely outside traditional OODA loops, Trump is actively disrupting them. Trump is probably more effective in this, at the moment, and it's causing the Republicans to go haywire.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Brannock posted:

The "derp" was really stupid but the article is interesting.

This is the essential point of it:

(added linebreaks for readability)

Gish gallop is a pretty standard debate tactic, but I guess Trump's innovation is gish galloping the media? Nobody's ever done that before?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

Josh Marshall is an old, leave him alone guys.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

nachos posted:

Gish gallop is a pretty standard debate tactic, but I guess Trump's innovation is gish galloping the media? Nobody's ever done that before?

I don't think it's been possible to do that before the advent of ubiquitous social media and Internet access. The media simply didn't give you enough air time, and even if you gave speeches daily the media would just simply choose one speech to focus on and discuss until the next news cycle.

But now thanks to Twitter, Donald Trump can fire off a statement at literally any time of the day. If he does win, then he'll be our first ever Twitter President.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Fox News cultivated the conservative persecution complex without realizing it could be turned against them.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
I don't remember if this was mentioned - this thread moves fast - but apparently at a fundraiser in Colorado, Boehner called Cruz a "jackass" and said he was glad Cruz was off campaigning because it meant he wasn't in DC

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Joementum posted:

I am not surprised that the person who thought, "What newspapers or magazines do you read?" was a "gotcha" question also thinks that asking Donald Trump, who has said the Bible is his favorite book, whether he likes the Old Testament or New Testament more (for the record, his answer was "equal") is a "gotcha" question.

I'm starting to think that his answer was probably the best he could give. Saying one or the other could be taken as a slight against either Jews or Christians.

Joementum posted:

At the DNC meeting, Hillary said that the GOP would support "using boxcars" to remove illegal immigrants. :godwin:

Why not bring up when we literally put Japanese-Americans in camps? Is she looking for more support from j-street?

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Fox News cultivated the conservative persecution complex without realizing it could be turned against them.

Trump is basically the tea party's Frankenstein's monster that has been turned loose on the establishment.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Internet Webguy posted:

Why not bring up when we literally put Japanese-Americans in camps? Is she looking for more support from j-street?

Happened under a Democrat

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ep53vIAV9c

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

Xenophon posted:

I don't remember if this was mentioned - this thread moves fast - but apparently at a fundraiser in Colorado, Boehner called Cruz a "jackass" and said he was glad Cruz was off campaigning because it meant he wasn't in DC

I'm sure that really hurt Cruz's feelings, he has such admiration John "Pelosi" Boehner.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

"Perhaps" the greatest upset? Don't go soft on us now, Donald.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

zeal posted:

Happened under a Democrat

So did Black codes and Jim Crow laws.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

DaveWoo posted:

He plans on winning in a greater one.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Hillary should really keep Jennifer Palmieri away from cameras. I thought she made mostly reasonable arguments when discussing Hillary's email issue, but the host was able to make her look horrible.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Tautologicus posted:

:stare:

Bernie Sanders 2016 - "Sure why not, there's plenty of money for it"

Joementum posted:

That would actually be a great campaign slogan for him.

I concur.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

nachos posted:

Nobody has been yooge enough to be able to do it. Trump is a media whore of the most luxurious caliber, with decades of experience, and he's breaking the political process in this country. I don't know whether to be amazingly entertained, or terrified. I'm both.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
The thing about Trump is he can throw out all this red meat to the extremely racist republican base to get the nomination, then just pivot into a more mainstream candidate for the general election and if anyone calls him on it he'll just call them a loser and mock them on twitter.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 209 days!

mdemone posted:

Nobody has been yooge enough to be able to do it. Trump is a media whore of the most luxurious caliber, with decades of experience, and he's breaking the political process in this country. I don't know whether to be amazingly entertained, or terrified. I'm both.

Don't worry, Hillary will just hire fishmech to reply to Trump 24/7. Within two hours, no one will be able to bring themselves to read any of it.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Don't even joke about that.

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer

Sir Tonk posted:

Your mouth says yes, but your lack of gang tag says no.

How do you get a gang tag?

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

DaveWoo posted:

I'd say that Bernie winning his House seat was bigger, and maybe a few other third-party wins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
There's only one man who's capable of defeating Trump in a zing-off, and he won't step up. I hope he's embarked on a hero's journey to gain the ultimate power or something.

• Locked thread